US Soldier opens fire on Afghan civilians

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/11/world/asia/afghanistan-us-service-member/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- An American soldier left his base in Afghanistan and went from house to house in two villages, killing 16 people in their homes, a provincial official told CNN Sunday.

NATO's International Security Assistance Force confirmed that a soldier had gone off base and fired on civilians before turning himself in, but did not say how many victims there had been.

There has been confusion about the number of casualties since the shooting in Kandahar province, eastern Afghanistan, with different sources offering different numbers.

Regardless of the number of victims, the incident looks likely to inflame tensions still further between foreign troops and Afghan civilians, many of whom were enraged by the burning of Qurans by American troops last month.

American officials from President Barack Obama down called the burning an accident and apologized for it, but riots left dozens dead, including four American troops. Hundreds more were wounded.

On Sunday, ISAF's deputy commander, Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw, expressed "deep regrets and sorrow at this appalling incident."

"One of our soldiers is reported to have killed and injured a number of civilians in villages adjacent to his base," Bradshaw said in a statement.

Capt. Justin Brockhoff of ISAF said there had been "multiple" casualties and that the injured Afghans were being treated in ISAF facilities.

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul said it deplored "any attack by a member of the U.S. Armed Forces against innocent civilians," and assured "the people of Afghanistan that the individual or individuals responsible for this act will be identified & brought to justice."

A provincial council member, Ahsan Noorzai, said earlier that 18 people were killed, but did not say where his information came from.

The Taliban claimed that 50 people had been killed, but the Islamist militia regularly exaggerates casualty figures.

They disputed ISAF's version of events, saying several soldiers went on a raid that resulted in dozens of deaths.

But Maj. Jason Waggoner, another ISAF spokesman, said: "The civilian casualties were not the result of any operations. The soldier was acting on his own. After the incident he returned to the compound and turned himself in."

Brockhoff said officials do not yet have a motive for the shooting, which is under investigation by both NATO and Afghan officials.

"This is a deeply regrettable incident and we extend our thoughts and concerns to the families involved," a statement from ISAF said.

Civilian casualties as a result of action by the NATO-led international coalition have long caused anger in Afghanistan, adding pressure on international forces to withdraw.

The international force has said avoiding civilian casualties is a high priority.

"My command's mission is to protect the civilian people of Afghanistan," Gen. John R. Allen, ISAF commander, said last month. "I take very seriously the loss of every Afghan life. We will continue to do all we can to ensure the safety of the Afghan population."

The number of ISAF-caused civilian deaths decreased by nearly 17% from 2010 to 2011, the coalition force said in its December monthly report.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
This will be classified as terrorism if done by a muslim soldier. May Allah expel all kuffar dogs from Afghanistan.

:salam2:

EXACTLY!

I heard from someone on a neighbouring base that the afghans already started the retaliation not very long after the incident occured......
Good for them!

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

When a liar non-Muslim comes to give a news and a Muslim comes to give a news, in no way I will believe the liars. As Muslims we should be very well informed about who are the people who master at manipulating, changing and creating fake news and thus exaggerating .

nighean

EXACTLY!

I heard from someone on a neighbouring base that the afghans already started the retaliation not very long after the incident occured......
Good for them!

Sister, who are they retaliating against? The man was obviously crazy and acted alone. The international news said that, after the murders, he went back to his base and turned himself in. The Americans are seeking the death penalty for him. Allah knows best and justice will be served.

The Prophet was the most forgiving person. He was ever ready to forgive his enemies. When he went to Ta’if to preach the message of Allah, its people mistreated him, abused him and hit him with stones. He left the city humiliated and wounded. When he took shelter under a tree, the angel of Allah visited him and told him that Allah sent him to destroy the people of Ta’if because of their sin of maltreating their Prophet. Muhammad prayed to Allah to save the people of Ta'if, because what they did was out of their ignorance.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Because of some individual!

Religion is very sensitive.
There shouldn't be burning the holy qur'an in the first place,
and altogether there won't be an issue
on fighting and losing of lives on both side!
Imagine
if the vice versa had happened
Example,
the Afghan had burn their bible, hebrew bible, or tanakh instead
what would it be ???
Ofcourse the similar,

Recklessness of some unresponssible people
should be stop to triggered futher damage to
all innocent civilians even soldiers!

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide all muslims~Amin!

Thank you
for sharing this news sister,
:jazaak:

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualaykum,

Brother - what does it matter if he was drunk or not? Of course different news channels will have different reports and yes they feed the people nonsense sometimes. But the basic facts are there... One man (regardless of his position, race, religion, nationality) MURDERED innocent people including children. THAT is the issue. whats your point?
Inshallah justice will be served as it should.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

My point is that, there were probably not just one man but a group of them. Which the pro American medias constantly hide.

nighean

Really tired!

Okay,
This has been bothering me for a LONG time and I have to say this. I came to this site as a revert quite a long time ago and have had many good discussions and learned a lot. BUT - I am really getting tired of hearing about the Americans and what liars they are and how they are all the same, etc., etc. I happen to be American and a Muslim - Stop using Islam as a cultural identity, like we are on sports teams. Just becuase you come from the middle east doesn't make you a TRUE Muslim. Your deeds will show that to the world whether you are or not. There are 3 million muslims in the US and that population is expected to double in the next 20 years. It has never been said what this man's supposed religion is - he could be Christian, Bhuddist, Muslim, who knows? OF COURSE, he is none of those - he is just a MURDERER! Don't assume that everyone from Europe or the US is Christian because this is NOT the case. This man was shown on the news under surveillance with night cameras trying to sneak back into his base, crawling through an orchard when he was caught by a search team out looking for him. The first thing he asked for was an attorney - does that sound like an insane person to anyone? Obviously, this was premeditated murder and he knew exactly what he was doing. HE IS GUILTY and he will face justice. Do you think for a minute that, if there were others involved, he would let them slide by without pointing a finger at them? REALLY? This man who has no honor whatsoever? I know for a fact that he was alone, because he comes from the same small town that my own brother lives in! Would it make anyone feel better if President Obama got on the news and said that he took full responsibility for this and "death to all muslims", like Osama bin Ladan would have about America? NO- he had the man put in prison and is going to ask the DEATH penalty. At any rate - get off our backs! As American muslims, we face enough crap here from other non muslims - I don't need to hear it anymore from people on a site who are supposed to be my brothers and sisters in Allah (swt) :-(

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Hi there. It is difficult being a Muslim in the US. I am a stranger in my country. It is a wonderful psychosis. And then we have to deal with the variety of Muslims in a country that has always had Muslim presence.

The solider..this is from an American perspective. If this was the first time it would be different. I have watched since the Viet Nam war the massacres that are ignored. I just watched a news item. Most cases like this are never brought to justice. The people have no say. The last case the solider was demoted to a private and can collect his pension. Go figure.

The reality is the US is at war and will always be at war. I really think it started in 1785. But, I am not a historian.

Let us concentrate on being able to practice our faith.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Okay,
This has been bothering me for a LONG time and I have to say this. I came to this site as a revert quite a long time ago and have had many good discussions and learned a lot. BUT - I am really getting tired of hearing about the Americans and what liars they are and how they are all the same, etc., etc. I happen to be American and a Muslim - Stop using Islam as a cultural identity, like we are on sports teams. Just becuase you come from the middle east doesn't make you a TRUE Muslim. Your deeds will show that to the world whether you are or not. There are 3 million muslims in the US and that population is expected to double in the next 20 years. It has never been said what this man's supposed religion is - he could be Christian, Bhuddist, Muslim, who knows? OF COURSE, he is none of those - he is just a MURDERER! Don't assume that everyone from Europe or the US is Christian because this is NOT the case. This man was shown on the news under surveillance with night cameras trying to sneak back into his base, crawling through an orchard when he was caught by a search team out looking for him. The first thing he asked for was an attorney - does that sound like an insane person to anyone? Obviously, this was premeditated murder and he knew exactly what he was doing. HE IS GUILTY and he will face justice. Do you think for a minute that, if there were others involved, he would let them slide by without pointing a finger at them? REALLY? This man who has no honor whatsoever? I know for a fact that he was alone, because he comes from the same small town that my own brother lives in! Would it make anyone feel better if President Obama got on the news and said that he took full responsibility for this and "death to all muslims", like Osama bin Ladan would have about America? NO- he had the man put in prison and is going to ask the DEATH penalty. At any rate - get off our backs! As American muslims, we face enough crap here from other non muslims - I don't need to hear it anymore from people on a site who are supposed to be my brothers and sisters in Allah (swt) :-(

:salam2: Sister,

Your point isnt really clear, but I really hope this wasnt aimed at me... I stated earlier that it doesnt matter what his religion is...
I grew up in a christian country where the Muslim population percentage is a lot smaller than it is in America, so I can understand where you are coming from. Except there wasnt a lot of hatred between races or religions Alhamdulillah...
But i can imagine how it is like to be in America. I wouldnt really want to be- to be quite honest. I dont think I would be strong enough to face their ignorance. Thats why Allah has chosen you to be there, because He belives you are strong enough.
But as you say not all Americans are the same - its the same on the other end... not all people in the Middle East or other Muslim countries are the same. A lot of educated people understand the way of the world and dont always blindly point sharp fingers in all directions... In fact, I am in the Middle East right now and its quite suprprising how many nationals love the way of the Americans - they study there, they vacation there and I can tell you every single American food chain is available here!
This is just to make you aware that as you dont like to hear slander against America, the other side of the coin isnt all that dirty....
Sorry for the deviation from the topic....
Wasalaam

Bubbybobble

Okay,

American Muslim here and I get your point. The issue is nationalism/culuturalism.

One thing I have observed is that if a "bad" Muslim does something, I notice a lot of people here will be at his defense.

Like you said, the guy was condemed (of course one can argue if a Muslim did that the news would be bigger).

People want to feel that THEIR country is better when they are just on two sides of the same coin. Once the Muslim paranoia dies down we will be attacking another group of people. That is just how it rolls.

Bubbybobble

:salam2: Sister,

Your point isnt really clear, but I really hope this wasnt aimed at me... I stated earlier that it doesnt matter what his religion is...
I grew up in a christian country where the Muslim population percentage is a lot smaller than it is in America, so I can understand where you are coming from. Except there wasnt a lot of hatred between races or religions Alhamdulillah...
But i can imagine how it is like to be in America. I wouldnt really want to be- to be quite honest. I dont think I would be strong enough to face their ignorance. Thats why Allah has chosen you to be there, because He belives you are strong enough.
But as you say not all Americans are the same - its the same on the other end... not all people in the Middle East or other Muslim countries are the same. A lot of educated people understand the way of the world and dont always blindly point sharp fingers in all directions... In fact, I am in the Middle East right now and its quite suprprising how many nationals love the way of the Americans - they study there, they vacation there and I can tell you every single American food chain is available here!
This is just to make you aware that as you dont like to hear slander against America, the other side of the coin isnt all that dirty....
Sorry for the deviation from the topic....
Wasalaam

Eh...usually it depends what area you are in. Some cities have a lot of Muslims. It's more or less the older generation (many have grown up during segregation) that is having these problems.