Using the word "bid'ah"

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I have a question regarding the use of the word "bid'ah". If I am wrong, please correct me (nicely - some folks tend to go to the extreme when "correcting" on this board). Its my understanding that "bid'ah" (innovation) refers to stuff just in the Islamic sense. For example, doing dhikr as a congregation every Saturday night, or the use of the prayer beads, etc. Something added to the faith of Islam, NOT something added to regular every day life.

For example, Thanksgiving day here in the US. It may not be Islamically correct for us American Muslims to celebrate Thanksgiving as its not one of the 2 celebrations Allah swt has given us, thus making it haram, but its not specifically "bid'ah" because its is NOT something American Muslims have added to our Islam. I know some say ANYTHING our Prophet peace be upon him did not do is therefore "bid'ah" but my argument is there are many cultures out there that still have cultural traditions that do not reflect on religion that shouldn't be called "bid'ah" even if they're haram.

Am I correct?

Thank you

D.

a_stranger

:salam2:

I think you are correct.

Bid'ah means adding or changing articles of faith or religious practices (deviating from correct Sunna).

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam: bro,

understanding "bid'ah" is quite difficult for me.

maybe celebrating Thanksgiving Day is bidah bcoz muslims celebrate only 2 festivals and when we celebrate more than 2, that means we are adding something to Islam.

also, many scholars dont take using beads as bidah.

Allah knows best.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Asalaamu alaikum -

I have a question regarding the use of the word "bid'ah". If I am wrong, please correct me (nicely - some folks tend to go to the extreme when "correcting" on this board). Its my understanding that "bid'ah" (innovation) refers to stuff just in the Islamic sense. For example, doing dhikr as a congregation every Saturday night, or the use of the prayer beads, etc. Something added to the faith of Islam, NOT something added to regular every day life.

For example, Thanksgiving day here in the US. It may not be Islamically correct for us American Muslims to celebrate Thanksgiving as its not one of the 2 celebrations Allah swt has given us, thus making it haram, but its not specifically "bid'ah" because its is NOT something American Muslims have added to our Islam. I know some say ANYTHING our Prophet peace be upon him did not do is therefore "bid'ah" but my argument is there are many cultures out there that still have cultural traditions that do not reflect on religion that shouldn't be called "bid'ah" even if they're haram.

Am I correct?

Thank you

D.

Yes, every Haram tradition/cultural artifact is not called bid'ah.

:wasalam:

mas_adi

:wasalam: bro,

maybe celebrating Thanksgiving Day is bidah bcoz muslims celebrate only 2 festivals and when we celebrate more than 2, that means we are adding something to Islam.

Allah knows best.

No, brother.
Celebrating Thanksgiving Day is not bidah but imitating the disbeliever because Thanksgiving day is not festival that made by Muslims and never added to Islamic tradition.

faris76

Assalamu alaykum

No brother, It is not premitted for you to say that there are no such thing as a "good" bid'ah. and remember the "Good" Bidah selected by the Prophet (s.a.w.w) from Sayyidina Hazrat Umar (radiallahu anhu); Tarawih. It was a good Bidah and selected by the Prophet (s.a.w.w) in his lifetime. However, our beloved Holy Prophet (s.a.w.w) have passed this world. So therefore It is not premitted for us to do the "Good" Bida'h in this modern world.

Please consider removing the sentence "There is no such thing as "good" bid'ah..." Tarawih is a bidah, and it is a permitted bidah. However it is true that today we cannot do so. But still today, on the permission of Rasulullah (s.a.w.w), many muslims do this "good" bid'ah. Therefore, it is clearly visible that there are such thing as "good" bid'ah which (were selected by Rasulullah (s.a.w.w), which are present in this time). It is a lie, to say that all Innovation are evil and lead to astray. Please consider re-writing your sentence. Allahu aa'alam

wassalamu alaykum

:salam2: whatever the prophet gives u accept it, and whatever he forbids, u forbear it 53:8 quran sada kalah hul azeem
bid'ah r things tht our prophet PBOH didnt tell us to do
and whatever he told us to do is by allah S.W.T
there r FARZS SUNNAH and NAFILS
tarawih r nifils its not bid'ah.... bid'ah r only things tht was started after our beloved prophet PBOH passawayed and i believe bid'ah is bid'ah there is no gud bida'h as onone has better knowlege than allah's prophet whatever he gaves us was the best of everything.. may allah guide us ameen

faris76

Assalamu alaykum

No brother, It is not premitted for you to say that there are no such thing as a "good" bid'ah. and remember the "Good" Bidah selected by the Prophet (s.a.w.w) from Sayyidina Hazrat Umar (radiallahu anhu); Tarawih. It was a good Bidah and selected by the Prophet (s.a.w.w) in his lifetime. However, our beloved Holy Prophet (s.a.w.w) have passed this world. So therefore It is not premitted for us to do the "Good" Bida'h in this modern world.

Please consider removing the sentence "There is no such thing as "good" bid'ah..." Tarawih is a bidah, and it is a permitted bidah. However it is true that today we cannot do so. But still today, on the permission of Rasulullah (s.a.w.w), many muslims do this "good" bid'ah. Therefore, it is clearly visible that there are such thing as "good" bid'ah which (were selected by Rasulullah (s.a.w.w), which are present in this time). It is a lie, to say that all Innovation are evil and lead to astray. Please consider re-writing your sentence. Allahu aa'alam

wassalamu alaykum

:salam2: whatever the prophet gives u accept it, and whatever he forbids, u forbear it 53:8 quran sada kalah hul azeem
bid'ah r things tht our prophet PBOH didnt tell us to do
and whatever he told us to do is by allah S.W.T
there r FARZS SUNNAH and NAFILS
tarawih r nifils its not bid'ah.... bid'ah r only things tht was started after our beloved prophet PBOH passed away and i believe bid'ah is bid'ah there is no gud bida'h as onone has better knowlege than allah's prophet whatever he gaves us was the best of everything.. may allah guide us ameen :salah:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
ahmed_indian said:
bro,

Allah knows best.
No, brother.
Celebrating Thanksgiving Day is not bidah but imitating the disbeliever because Thanksgiving day is not festival that made by Muslims and never added to Islamic tradition.

:salam2:,
you are right brother. i was wrong.

may Allah forgive our mistakes done intentionally or unintentionally.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

Assalamu alaykum

wassalamu alaykum

As-salaamu `alaykum

Dear brother, it is in fact permitted and the statement should not be removed. The scholars say that when `Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, made this statement, he didn't mean bid`ah as an Islamic term or in the religious sense, because as we know the Prophet, sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, practiced tarawih in jamaa`ah before `Umars time. So the fact that `Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, only revived but didn't introduce the practice shows it doesn't fit the technical/religious definition of a bid`ah. However, the scholars say that what `Umar meant was bid`ah as is well known in the Arabic language, and not in terms of the religion.

Was-salaam

Allaah knows best.