Veganism

Hannah123

One Truth
Assalaam alaikum,
About 9mths ago I saw a movie about animal cruelty called "food inc." My household (2 boys, me and hubby) immediately became vegetarians. About 2mths ago i saw another movie called "Earthlings" about our dependency on animals and how much they suffer. After watching that movie I became strictly vegan and love it very much. Anyway the point of this thread is not to convince anyone, but simply to find out how many of my fellow muslims are vegetarian or vegan. Really just out of curiosity!

sclavus

We slaughter a ram every year, does this make us cruel to animals? You have to be careful sisters, these people say that our religion is not good because we're ordered to make animal sacrifice in Qur'an...

Hannah123

One Truth
I would eat meat and drink milk if I had more control over where I got my supply from. I don't think there's anything wrong with killing for sustenance. As long as the animal was cared for and killed humanely. I think in Islam we are supposed to feel that way, which is why we don't just buy any lamb or ram to slaughter we usually go to amish country and get a lamb or ram that has had a full, nice life.

Astrugglingsoul

I would eat meat and drink milk if I had more control over where I got my supply from. I don't think there's anything wrong with killing for sustenance. As long as the animal was cared for and killed humanely.

:salam2:
killed humanely, hmm sounds like an oxymoron but i know what you are saying.
but i am sorry sister, i eat meat a lot and i am no where near to become a vegetarian.

sclavus

I would eat meat and drink milk if I had more control over where I got my supply from. I don't think there's anything wrong with killing for sustenance. As long as the animal was cared for and killed humanely. I think in Islam we are supposed to feel that way, which is why we don't just buy any lamb or ram to slaughter we usually go to amish country and get a lamb or ram that has had a full, nice life.

That's no problem, eat fish! And about milk I don't get it, you'll have to tell us the reason why you can't drink it.

You have to take milk at least, there are 8 amino acids that the human metabolism can't make on it's own, they're only found in meats and similar products, milks and derivatives. You're gonna harm yourself like that, sister.

For some individuals, a veggie diet or a low fat diet is recommended for some period of time. But a strict veggie diet for a long time is definitely not good.

Assalaam.

Mairo

Maryama
Assalaam alaikum,
About 9mths ago I saw a movie about animal cruelty called "food inc." My household (2 boys, me and hubby) immediately became vegetarians. About 2mths ago i saw another movie called "Earthlings" about our dependency on animals and how much they suffer. After watching that movie I became strictly vegan and love it very much. Anyway the point of this thread is not to convince anyone, but simply to find out how many of my fellow muslims are vegetarian or vegan. Really just out of curiosity!

Wa alaikum salaam,

Yes, I feel you sister. I have also been deeply affected by watching similar documentaries and reading articles about the industry and have changed my eating habits drastically as a result. I think it is very important for people to become informed of these issues. I am not strictly vegan but have respect for those who choose to be and appreciate very much the compassionate aspect of it. For myself I decided I will be vegetarian/pescetarian and will only eat meat when I know the source and can verify that the animals were treated humanely and slaughtered properly. There are now more and more farms you can go to where you can see the treatment of the animals yourself (generally sheep and/or chickens). There are also good companies you can order meat from like Green Zabiha.