veil/hijab debate

Destiny_Jannah

AsSalamu ALeykomn :)

is not something i wanna debate about, is just an opinion I wanna share with you. last friday I was watching this program"call "the Agenda" in Canadian channel and it said they will debate about the veil/hijab on monday night which was last night. I came rushing to see it.

I watched it with great interst to see who those people would be. they were a man and four women. I don't wanna go detail all their names and nationality, but one sister was convert of caucasian background and another one was Iranian background. the debate started and 3 of them were arguing that muslim women have the right to wear it . the iranian woman was totally advocating the ban of veil/hijab in canadian society and she claimed muslim women started wearing the veil/hijab when the Iranian revolution came to power. her claims are absolutely baseless, not all muslim women are Iranain background. Everytime she was giving the chance to answer the question or give an opinion where she stands, she would connect to the Irani government, I was like who cares Iran, we are Canadian and we are in Canada not Iran, and if she cares so much what people do in Iran she should go back there and start regime change..lol.

the man said muslim women have the right to wear the hijab or not to wear it.
but didn't like the veil and called it mask..lol. I find it quite funny to call veil a mask. he was like the Iranian woman, he connected with Kashmir and pakistan, again his connection to Kashmir and Pakistan are irrelevant, we are not in Pakistan, Kashmir, he should stick with canada or where all these veil started from (Britain).

I did like the response of the 3 women who were for it. their response were based on freedom of conscious and freedom to choose how you wanna <a href="http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/search/dress">dress</a>.

overall the debate wonderful to watch the debate, other than the Iranian woman. she was unintellectual, uneducated narrow minded, I sincerely hope she learns something that will benefit in the future.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam,

Hijab issue is misunderstood. If a country like Iran abuses women and doesnt give them their rights, this is not to say that Islam is at fault. Iran does not follow Islam properly.

Islam does not oppress women, and women have the full choice and rights.

Please see following article and video Status of Women in Islam?

A lot of the Tv programs we see often have people who do not know what they are talking about. It seems they are deliberately chosen.

wasalam.

hope this helps....

Salaam malikum-

First off you can't speak for Iran and say they do not properly follow Islam. You have no right to judge that, I think you need a criteria for your thoughts.

Everyone has a choice and Allah has given us this ability. Whether a woman wear a hijab or not is up to her choice. However, the Quran recommends women to wear it (and Allah knows best) and correct me if I am wrong, everyone in Islam is accountable for their own actions, so let those people (you mentioned) live to their own beliefs, but you just pray for them that inshallah they will realize. Remember......Allah sees everything.....

Alot of times people including the media make false judgements because they confuse culture with religion. There are big differences between the two. Sure, for example, the Taliban were treating people wrong, but that is NOT Islam. If we want to change other people's mentality and show them what is the true faith, we have to change ourselves first and show them Islam is beautiful.

wa ramatullaha barakatu

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Salaam malikum-

First off you can't speak for Iran and say they do not properly follow Islam. You have no right to judge that, I think you need a criteria for your thoughts.

Wa alaykum salam, sorry I am not judging the entire people. This is based upon what the scholars of Islam have said about the regime there. We do not believe in "infallible Imams", this is what Iran has as their "supreme leader".. someone who they believe is on the level of Prophets! and who can never sin, i.e. their so called "Ayatollah".

I was talking about the government and the Shiite institution that it is based upon. Having seen Muslims who were tortuered in Iran gave me a better insight into how it operates!

Its nothing but odd laws and customs that have absolutely nothingto do with the Quran or the Sunnah. They have their own strange books, which contain an odd assortment of Shirk and lurid things.

i.e. they believe in temporary marriage. something forbidden by the Prophet :saw:

Shariah is something that has to be part of Quran and Sunnah.

I should not have mentioned any countries names as i do not want this thread to detract from its main topic. wasalam

cadette

Warped views

The problem with these people with warped views/uneducated views of Islam going on TV and talking about religious issues, ie. the hijab is this. They give people who are looking for things to attack Islam more misguided information to use. Also there may be someone out there that is really interested in reverting and embracing Islam watching these programs and decided that Islam is not for them after all.

Oem Soufiane

Subhanallah!! why is it that tv shows always invite the dumbest persons to talk about islam. Seriously, in my country you never see e practising muslim on tv, always the halfnaked people who claim to be muslim and say that the veil is extreme. What non muslims start to think is ofcourse: look at the arabic people they are integrated and take a look at my dutch daughter or neighbour she's an extremist wearing the veil. So stupid, these people need to get some taqwa and knowledge. And most of the iranians in my country are wilder than the kafirun. girls look like they work on the streets and a lot of iranian men here are gay. No i am not saying all of them, just the ones i know and see.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Asalamu alaykum,

in UK we either have extremist or we have modernist on the TV, never anyone who is upon the Quran and Sunnah. Then again, i dont really know anyone here who id trust to represent the Muslims.

fendi_ibrahim

Assalam-o-alaikom dear sis and bro.....

Those whom really obey the commands of Allah swt and the sunnah of Prophet pbuh can represent the muslims... women that wearing veil should wear it as to follow the Islamic obligation, and not because of fashion or else. And as our right to have freedom in choosing our religion and believe (as what democratic country say), we also should have the right to practice our own religion anywhere.

Actually, the reason others (non-moslem) are againts in this issue just because they are afraid of the shadow of Islam which they totally have misunderstood the benefit of Islamic obligation. So, we are responsable to explain this to them.

servant

Asalamu alaykum,

in UK we either have extremist or we have modernist on the TV, never anyone who is upon the Quran and Sunnah. Then again, i dont really know anyone here who id trust to represent the Muslims.[/QUOTE

Salam to all....

PROBLEM - We have no control of who appears on tv ... and even if we were to write in and recommend a speaker, I doubt it will be fruitful as most media agencies are fighting for airtime and controversies....

I'm sure you and I know and anyone who is logical and rational will know that the masses make up the population and the population make up the basis of truth. Be good. Do good. Follow the sunnah. Be more patient... take time out to explain to those who don't understand... It's only when everyone starts thinking and behaving as TRUE muslims... will the rest(other non-muslim) see and compare... what was portrayed and what was seen to be different. If what they see and what what was shown on tv was ththe same, don't you think that it'll only prove to them that these network are reliable resources>

Remember brothers and sisters.. everything startsfrom within.. Allah (SWT) is the best of planners and the All knower. Have patience...

servant

and one more thing... we are our own Media.. we are Islams media... our actions.. WHY? these people don't read the Quran! They don't know the Sunnah! We are their link... Our actions.. Our reactions... Our faith...

Submitter

:salam2:

It's amazing the varying opinions you can get depending on which country you live in. My experience of Iranian people in western countries is that they don't seem to mind dropping their culture (and indeed religion) to fit into western society. I'm not saying ALL Iranians are like this - that would be unfair and stupid - this is just my experience.

Just as one example, on my course at university we had 2 Iranians in our team for a project we were doing. The first was a brother who I later discovered drank alcohol and fornicated on a regular basis astagfarullah. The other was a sister who actually wore hijab and dressed modestly. But by the third year of the course she no longer wore hijab, she wore skirts, did not fast in Ramadhan, and felt eating non-halal meat was OK.

As I say, in no way is this a reflection of all Iranians. But it seems strange to me that after living in a country with strict laws (some Islamic, some not so Islamic) that one can so easily go to a western country and lose that "discipline".

May Allah guide us and help us to do that which is right.

:wasalam:

deenonthebrain

The fact is that even you got rid of all the negative images and wrapped Islam in a pretty pink bow these people still will not be happy.

Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion. (2:120)

Hijab, Jihad, Polygamy, there will always be a reason why they don't accept Islam. What I would like is to see Muslims stop apologizing for being Muslims. Everytime we try to explain away Islam it just gives others a greater sense of entitlement to question it.

This society thrives on stereotypes and biggotry. It happened to the Native Americans, French Accadians, Chinese, Irish, Japanese, Blacks, Latinos (I guess you can tell I'm from the U.S. lol). So welcome to the club, Muslims are the new targets. Let's take a cue from Malcom X and stand with strength and dignity and give dawah to spread this deen.:inshallah:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Allaah swt did not recommend to wear the hijaab rather Allaah swt has REQUIRED it.

yup...ur totally right

oh and my dad heard this on the radio in America and he said there were two men and two women, he said the same thing about the women though, how it was so sad for what the Iranian was saying.

The Quran tells us to cover but it doesn't specifically say the face or the eyes. No it does not. Women in those days used to cover there heads with Khimaar throwing its ends on there backs.this left there neck, upper part of the chest and ears. Then Allah (SWT) commanded them to cover those parts with the khimaar.
wal=and
yadribna=put or pull
bikumurihinna=their veils
alaa=over
juyubihinna=their bosoms

If the khimaar covered the face then Allah ta'aala would not say walyadribna meaning pull/ draw together, but he would have said"let fall" using the verb SADALA.
This proves Hijab is wajib and naqab is sunnah

shama

the media get in dumb muslims who don't hardly know anything about their religion so that they can beat them in the questions they ask to the muslim person who hardly knows nything about his reliogion
:astag:

samiha

---------
Staff member
The Quran tells us to cover but it doesn't specifically say the face or the eyes. No it does not. Women in those days used to cover there heads with Khimaar throwing its ends on there backs.this left there neck, upper part of the chest and ears. Then Allah (SWT) commanded them to cover those parts with the khimaar.
wal=and
yadribna=put or pull
bikumurihinna=their veils
alaa=over
juyubihinna=their bosoms

If the khimaar covered the face then Allah ta'aala would not say walyadribna meaning pull/ draw together, but he would have said"let fall" using the verb SADALA.
This proves Hijab is wajib and naqab is sunnah

Scuze me, I may not know Arabic but YOU SHOULD NEVER SAY WHAT ALLAH WOULD HAVE SAID.

Other than that MANY MANY MANY scholars have read the Quran who know Arabic, who understand it and they ALL say Hijab is FARD.

Hijab is required of women and that's all there is to it, we Muslims are told not to interpret the Quran and Sunnah too much. What is there is there, you can't change or deny it.

:astag: May Allah save us all from ignorance of all types.

servant

Scuze me, I may not know Arabic but YOU SHOULD NEVER SAY WHAT ALLAH WOULD HAVE SAID.

Other than that MANY MANY MANY scholars have read the Quran who know Arabic, who understand it and they ALL say Hijab is FARD.

Hijab is required of women and that's all there is to it, we Muslims are told not to interpret the Quran and Sunnah too much. What is there is there, you can't change or deny it.

:astag: May Allah save us all from ignorance of all types.

Salam,

The hijab is COMPULSARY and NOT RECOMMENDED. The covering of the face is COMMENDABLE and not OBLIGATORY. Let's not ADD and SUBTRACT what is in ISLAM. Then we'll be no BEtTTER than those KUFFR who have gone astray with their man-made beliefs.

Ya Allah, please forgive us for our ignorance. We are human and we are far from perfection in our ways. Ya Allah, Only You my Rabb are the MOST PERFECT and ALL KNOWER, THE EVER FORGIVER and MERCIFUL. Ameen.

Wasalam.