Wahdathul wujood-References

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

Recently I had a discussion with a muslim friend regarding one of the characteristics of Allah (swt). I said that Allah is on His 'Arsh but his knowledge is everywhere. He argued that He is physically everywhere including places which we consider as filthy.

How do I convince him regarding wahdathul wujood? Please provide evidence from Quran and Sahih Hadith.

salam

Abu_Luqmann

assalamualaikum,

I am told it is the concept that i mentioned earlier i.e., Allah is everywhere physically. But I need references to prove it wrong

salam

mhamzah

:salam2:

Allah tells us clearly that there is nothing, anywhere in the universe that resembles Him, nor is He ever in His creation. He tells us in the Quran that He created the universe in six "yawm" and then He "astawah 'ala al Arsh" (rose up, above His Throne). He is there above His Throne.

And: "And verily, your Rubb is Allaah who created the heaven and earth in six days, and then rose over the 'Arsh." (20:2)

And there is none like unto Him. (112:4)

"O, Issa (Jesus)! I shall cause you to die, and raise you up to Me." (3:55)

Adullah bin Amr reported that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Be merciful to those on earth, so that the One above the heavens will be merciful to you. (Bukhari)

:wasalam:

Imadulbarq

Assalamualaikum,

Recently I had a discussion with a muslim friend regarding one of the characteristics of Allah (swt). I said that Allah is on His 'Arsh but his knowledge is everywhere. He argued that He is physically everywhere including places which we consider as filthy.

How do I convince him regarding wahdathul wujood? Please provide evidence from Quran and Sahih Hadith.

salam

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله
akhi Abu Luqman ,i'd ask same thing for your friend if he could give us simple proof about wihdat alwujud,& in another way i 'd ask him if Allah asks us to do Tahara(Ghusl) for every muslim and new converters too,then al wudu2 for our prayers,,,to be clean,inside,outside,,etc so if Allah is everywhere (astaghfiru Allah) means he s also in dirty places?!(ta3ala Allah 3amma yasifun) would he accept this ?

Sheikh Almunjid was asked about this Q & he replied :
Evidence that Allaah is exalted high above His creation and that He is above the heavens
Some people say that Allah is above the heavens (according to one of the ayahs of the quran), and may scholars say that Allah exists without a place, since only the creation has the characteristic of needing a place and We know the ayah "Laysa-ka-mislly-he-shay" - (proving allah does not resemble his creation), is he everywhere, existing without a place, or above the heavens?

Praise be to Allaah,

The people of Sunnah and Jamaa’ah (Ahl al-Sunnah) believe that Allaah is exalted above His creation because of the evidence of the Qur’aan, Sunnah, consensus of the scholars, common sense and man’s innate instinct (fitrah).

(1) The Qur’aan describes the "exaltedness" or "highness" of Allaah in different ways, as His being High and Above, and by describing how things come down from Him, and go up to Him, and by stating that He is above heaven. For example (interpretations of the meaning):

(Highness):
". . .and He is the Most High, the Most Great." [al-Baqarah 2:255]

"Glorify the Name of your Lord, the Most High." [al-A’la 87:1]

(Above):
"And He is the Irresistible, above His slaves . . ." [al-An’aam 6:18]

"They fear their Lord above them, and they do what they are commanded." [al-Nahl 16:50]

(Things coming down from Him):

"He arranges (every) affair from the heavens to the earth . . ." [al-Sajdah 32:5]

"Verily We: it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e., the Qur’aan). . ." [al-Hijr 15:9]

(Things going up to Him):

". . . To Him ascend (all) the goodly words, and the righteous deeds exalt it . . ." [Faatir 35:10]

"The angels and the Rooh (Jibreel) ascend to Him . . ." [al-Ma’aarij 70:4]

(Allaah is above heaven):

"Do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven, will not cause the earth to sink with you . . .?" [al-Mulk 67:16]

(2) The Sunnah: many reports were narrated "mutawaatir" (i.e. with a large number of narrators at every stage of the isnaad, such that it is impossible for them all to have agreed on a lie) from the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him), describing his words and deeds and things of which he approved. For example, he used to say "Subhaana Rabbi al-A’laa (Glory be to my Lord Most High)" in sujood, and in some ahaadeeth he is reported to have said "By Allaah Who is above the Throne."

Among his deeds is the gesture of pointing up with his finger, when addressing the people in the greatest gathering, on the Day of ‘Arafaah during his Farewell Pilgrimage. He asked the people, "Have I not conveyed the message?" and they said, "Yes!" He asked again, "Have I not conveyed the message?" and they said, "yes!". He asked a third time, have I not conveyed the message?" and they said "Yes!" Each time, he said: "O Allaah, bear witness!" - pointing up to the sky and then at the people. He also used to raise his hands towards heaven when he made du’aa’, as it reported in tens of ahaadeeth. This is proof via his actions that Allaah is exalted and high.

An example of an approval of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) which indicates that Allaah is exalted and high is the hadeeth concerning the young slave girl, to whom the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: "Where is Allaah?" She said: "In heaven" He asked, "Who am I?" She said, "The Messenger of Allaah." So he said to her master: "Set her free, for she is a believer."

This young girl was uneducated, as many are, and she was a slave, but she knew that her Lord is above heaven. Some misguided people deny that Allaah is above heaven, and say, "He is neither above nor below; neither to the right nor to the left. He is everywhere!"

(3) The consensus of the scholars: the salaf agreed that Allaah is above heaven, as is reported by scholars such as al-Dhahabi, may Allaah have mercy on him, in his book Al-‘Aluw li’l-‘Aliy al-Ghaffaar.

(4) Common sense: highness is a quality which is associated in people’s minds with perfection. If this is the case, then it should be attributed to Allaah because every absolute perfection should be attributed to Him.

(5) The innate instinct of man (fitrah). There should be no dispute that man instinctively knows that Allaah is above heaven. Whenever something overwhelming befalls a person, and he turns to Allaah for help, he looks towards heaven, not in any other direction. But it is strange that those who deny that Allaah is above His creation still raise their hands in supplication to no other direction than towards heaven.

Even Pharaoh, the enemy of Allaah who disputed with Moosaa about his Lord, told his minister Haamaan (interpretation of the meaning): "O Haamaan! Build me a tower that I may arrive at the ways, - the ways of the heavens, and I may look upon the god of Moosaa . . ." [Ghaafir 40:36-37]

He knew in his heart of hearts that Allaah is real, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): "And they belied them (those aayaat) wrongfully and arrogantly, though their own selves were convinced thereof . . ." [al-Naml 27:14]

These are a few of the indications that Allaah is above the heavens; this proof comes from the Qur’aan, the Sunnah, the consensus of the scholars, common sense, man’s own instincts and even the words of the kuffaar.

We ask Allaah to guide us towards the Truth.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source: islam-qa.com/en/ref/992.

there're many answers but i found them in arabic ,i don't know if you could read in arabic, & excuse me for my poor english akhi.
السلام عليكم

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

In many aayaat, Allaah has mentioned that He is above His `arsh. Surah Taa Haa 20:5, Surah Al-A`raaf 7:3, Surah Al-Furqaan 25:59 to name just a few. Allaah has also mentioned His fawqiyyah, or Him being above his slaves/creation in many aayaat such as Surah Al-An`aam 6:18 and 6:81. The claim that Allaah is everywhere would require proof, yet such proof is non-existant. Such a belief goes against reason, since by stating Allaah is everywhere, they are ascribing filth and imperfection to Allaah. They are also negating the Highness of Allaah, since if Allaah is everywhere, then to them He is also "lower" than the creation!

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah
Assalamualaikum,

salam
brother u have started a very heavy weight debate, one of most complex issue of islamic philosophy, it should not be there coz it has many complexities (keep in mind the age group of majority member) you can search it online on google, i hope you dont bother my objection, barik allaho fee ailmmik

Assalamualaikum,

salam

sorry I have no references, but remember what Malik, ra, said: (my remembrance of part of what he said):

If Allah swt, was everywhere, then if I eat a piece of bread, I would just ate the ??? , IstaghfurAllah.

there were other examples given but that one makes it very clear.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
brother u have started a very heavy weight debate, one of most complex issue of islamic philosophy, it should not be there coz it has many complexities (keep in mind the age group of majority member) you can search it online on google, i hope you dont bother my objection, barik allaho fee ailmmik

As-salaamu `alaykum

Dear sister. It is not on issue of Islamic philosophy, it's an issue of philosophy and Islaam, an issue of shirk and tawheed, and an issue of bid`ah and sunnah. Philosophy is far from Islamic in fact, adopting it's principles is more heretical than Islamic, yet everyone is still so keen to jump on this bandwagon, as if the study of philosophy or kalaam is an integral part of the deen. The term, "Islamic Philosophy" and its connotations as we know, is an oxymoron.

Regarding the issue at hand, we have what Allaah, His Messenger and the salaf have stated, or we can follow what the Philosophers have said? The former say "fis-samaa'" and the later say "fee kulli makaan". One is truthful, the other is complete and utter falsehood.

abulzan07

The whole concept of wahadatul wajood can be refuted just in one verse of quran and whch is considered as favioraite ayah of Allah swt.......THERE IS NONE UNTO LIKE HIM!!

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member

:salam2: Sister,

How can it be a complex issue or issue of Phillosphy?

When Prophet SAWS posed the same question "Where is Allah"to a Slave girl and on the basis of her reply declared that she was a Muslim!

(in an authetic hadith reported in Saheeh Muslim)

Can some one post the complete Hadeeth?

There are many many more proofs from Quran and sunnah and quotes of the Salaf on this issue to prove that they all belived that Allah is above the heavens and above the throne.

Even Firawn used to believe that Allah is in the Heavens. It is so sad that Muslims today are confused on this issue on which even Firawn was very clear. :(

It is a issue of Aqeedah, something on which no Muslim should differ.

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah
As-salaamu `alaykum

Dear sister. It is not on issue of Islamic philosophy, it's an issue of philosophy and Islaam, an issue of shirk and tawheed, and an issue of bid`ah and sunnah. Philosophy is far from Islamic in fact, adopting it's principles is more heretical than Islamic, yet everyone is still so keen to jump on this bandwagon, as if the study of philosophy or kalaam is an integral part of the deen. The term, "Islamic Philosophy" and its connotations as we know, is an oxymoron.

Regarding the issue at hand, we have what Allaah, His Messenger and the salaf have stated, or we can follow what the Philosophers have said? The former say "fis-samaa'" and the later say "fee kulli makaan". One is truthful, the other is complete and utter falsehood.

Allhumdulillah i m very much clear on this issue but read some sidetracking debates about this issue that's why i have posted such comment any how thank you for correcting me:wasalam:

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Sister,

Good to know that there are people like you who correct themsleves when it comes to Islaam and donto take it on the ego.
Sorry for putting up that sick icon...I have put "MashaAllah" icon on this, hope it will compensate for it :)

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

May Allah (swt) reward all of you who made an effort to decrease my ignorance. Can anyone provide the reference for the following hadeeth, please?

When Prophet SAWS posed the same question "Where is Allah"to a Slave girl and on the basis of her reply declared that she was a Muslim!

salam

samiha

---------
Staff member

I believe this is what you're looking for:

Muawiyah bin Al-Hakam As-Salmi said:

"I had a slave-girl who used to herd sheep for me. One day I discovered that a wolf had killed one of her sheep, and I'm a man from the children of Adam, I get upset like they get upset, and I slapped her in the face. Then I went to the Prophet who impressed upon me the seriousness of my act. I said, 'O Messenger of Allah, should I not set her free?' He said, 'Bring her to me.' He asked her, 'Where is Allah', She said, 'He is above the heavens.' He said, 'Who am I?' She said, 'You are the Messenger of Allah.' He said, 'Free her, for she is a believer.' (Muslim and Abu Dawud)

----

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal said to a Jahmi: "On the Day of Resurrection, Won't there be Paradise, Hell-fire, the Throne, and the Air?" The Jahmi replied: "Yes." Ahmad said: "Then where will our Lord be?" The Jahmi replied: "He will be everywhere and in everything as He was in this life ..." Ahmad said: "Then, according to you: that of Allah which was upon the Throne, will be upon the Throne, and that of Allah which was in Paradise, will be in Paradise, and that of Allah which was in Hell-fire, will be in Hell-fire, and that of Allah which was in the Air, will be in the Air? It was at that point that their lying about Allah, whose praise is exalted became clear." [Ar-Radd 'Ala Az-Zanadiqah].

Source for the above two quotes: Where is Allaah?

Also I came across this quote which is reported as the words of Al-Juwaynee, or al-Ghazaalee’s teacher, who also changed his view towards the end of his life and accepted the truth about this matter. He said in Ar-Rasaa’il al-Muniriah:

"I used to fear confirming al-Istiwaa’ and that Allah descends (if He will) to avoid limiting Allah, or assimilating Him (with the creation).

However, when I read the evidence from the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (saws), I find that these evidences confirm these meanings (al-Istiwaa’ and descending). I find that the Prophet (saws), unequivocally confirms them, when talking about His Lord and describing Him(swt). I know for sure that his audience contained the knowledgeable and the ignorant, the smart and the slow, the Bedouin and the hard hearted. Yet, I find no quotations, clear or implied from him after describing Allah, that explains these meanings with what is not apparent, or what distorts these meanings as some of their philosophers did."

I hope those help a little bit inshaAllaah...

wasalam

saying that Allah is everywhere is pantheism and therefore a shirk.

it originally started from hinduism and tainted sufi islam which still contains a few hindu practices.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother Abu_Luqmann,

You wrote the following in post #1 on this thread:

Dr. Bilal Philips wrote an excellent book entitled The Fundamentals of Tawheed (Islamic Monotheism). There's an entire chapter devoted to the topic you're asking about. It's Chapter Eight, and it's entitled Transcendency. There, you'll find evidence [from the Qur'an and the Sunnah] proving that Allah is not everywhere.

If you'd like to own the book, then you can buy it from the following website:

http://islamicbookstore.com/b8935.html

If you'd like to read it as a PDF file, then you can go to the following site and download the book from there for free:

http://www.imanway.com/en/showpost.php?p=15933&postcount=1

I believe you'll also benefit from reading a post of mine:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93120&postcount=1

Best regards,

Bluegazer

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member

I believe this is what you're looking for:

Muawiyah bin Al-Hakam As-Salmi said:

"I had a slave-girl who used to herd sheep for me. One day I discovered that a wolf had killed one of her sheep, and I'm a man from the children of Adam, I get upset like they get upset, and I slapped her in the face. Then I went to the Prophet who impressed upon me the seriousness of my act. I said, 'O Messenger of Allah, should I not set her free?' He said, 'Bring her to me.' He asked her, 'Where is Allah', She said, 'He is above the heavens.' He said, 'Who am I?' She said, 'You are the Messenger of Allah.' He said, 'Free her, for she is a believer.' (Muslim and Abu Dawud)

----

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal said to a Jahmi: "On the Day of Resurrection, Won't there be Paradise, Hell-fire, the Throne, and the Air?" The Jahmi replied: "Yes." Ahmad said: "Then where will our Lord be?" The Jahmi replied: "He will be everywhere and in everything as He was in this life ..." Ahmad said: "Then, according to you: that of Allah which was upon the Throne, will be upon the Throne, and that of Allah which was in Paradise, will be in Paradise, and that of Allah which was in Hell-fire, will be in Hell-fire, and that of Allah which was in the Air, will be in the Air? It was at that point that their lying about Allah, whose praise is exalted became clear." [Ar-Radd 'Ala Az-Zanadiqah].

Source for the above two quotes: Where is Allaah?

Also I came across this quote which is reported as the words of Al-Juwaynee, or al-Ghazaalee’s teacher, who also changed his view towards the end of his life and accepted the truth about this matter. He said in Ar-Rasaa’il al-Muniriah:

"I used to fear confirming al-Istiwaa’ and that Allah descends (if He will) to avoid limiting Allah, or assimilating Him (with the creation).

However, when I read the evidence from the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (saws), I find that these evidences confirm these meanings (al-Istiwaa’ and descending). I find that the Prophet (saws), unequivocally confirms them, when talking about His Lord and describing Him(swt). I know for sure that his audience contained the knowledgeable and the ignorant, the smart and the slow, the Bedouin and the hard hearted. Yet, I find no quotations, clear or implied from him after describing Allah, that explains these meanings with what is not apparent, or what distorts these meanings as some of their philosophers did."

I hope those help a little bit inshaAllaah...

wasalam

Jazaki Allahu Khairan Ukhti...

Almeftah

Assalamualaikum,

salam

It would be best to refrain from that subject.. and accept such things as is, without trying to understand them.

related by Malik in his Muwatta' and by Muslim in his Sahih, that Muawiya ibn al-Hakam came to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) and told him, "I am very newly from the Jahiliyya, and now Allah has brought Islam," and he proceeded to ask about various Jahiliyya practices, until at last he said that he had slapped his slave girl, and asked if he should free her, as was obligatory if she was a believer. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) requested that she be brought, and then asked her, "Where is Allah?" and she said, "In the sky (Fi al-sama)"; whereupon he asked her, "Who am I?" and she said, "You are the Messenger of Allah"; at which he said, Free her, "for she is a believer" (Sahih Muslim)”

Incorrect translation of Fi al-sama (Above the sky):

Imam Al-Baihaqi, one of the Imams who narrated this hadith “Where is Allah” said:

“Abu Abdullah Al-Haafidh said that Shaykh Abu Bakr Ahmad bin Ishaaq Bin Ayoub Al-Faqih said ‘Sometimes the Arabs replace ‘Ala (above) with fi (in). (For example) Allah said ‘So travel freely in (fi) the land’ (9:2)…meaning ‘on (‘ala) the earth’ and similarly ‘I will surely crucify you in (fi) the trunks of date-palms’ (20:71) [meaning ‘on (‘ala) the trunks’]. Similar is the saying of Allah ‘Fi al-sama’ which means ‘on the throne, above (fauq) the sky’ , as is is proven in authentic narration ” (Al-Asmaa Wa Al-Sifaat by Al-Baihaqi vol 2, p 425).
So, the correct translation, in the context of various verses and the correct Hadith in (a), should be “Allah is above the sky”.

wahdathul wujood is nothing but a philosophy contradicting to Islam.