Want to visit a mosque...

stavros_388

Greetings,

I continue to be fascinated with Islam. As it turns out, my wife and I just moved to a city in Eastern Canada and we found an apartment that is a block from the city's only mosque. I want very much to go in, to see what Muslims do in there... not just out of idle curiosity, but so that I can make an informed decision about whether or not I want to embrace Islam.

When I've investigated other religions in the past, I've been able to attend meditation sessions (Buddhism) or the Liturgy (Eastern Orthodoxy), but it seems to me that one can't just walk into a mosque and join in. What is the general rule about visiting a mosque? Is there a time that is good to visit, generally? Do you need to be a Muslim, or do you need to be accompanied by a Muslim friend (I don't have any such friends yet)?

Thank you.

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
great to see your ineterest to go to a masjid (mosque).
you can go to any time to visit masjid but the time for prayers is the most suitable as you can find many muslim brothers overthere and you can introduce yourself.
Of course, ISLAM is the religion to study fully. protocol to visit a masjid.
1. take a bath and wear clean dress.
2. Dont use alcohol while visiting
3. turn off mobile phone before entering
4. put off shoes and place them in appropriate place
5. Dont use loud voice
and see carefully what is happening inside that.
i pray from almighty allaah for the right path for you and your wife. best regards

Ibn Uthaymin

great to see your ineterest to go to a masjid (mosque).
you can go to any time to visit masjid but the time for prayers is the most suitable as you can find many muslim brothers overthere and you can introduce yourself.
Of course, ISLAM is the religion to study fully. protocol to visit a masjid.
1. take a bath and wear clean dress.
2. Dont use alcohol while visiting
3. turn off mobile phone before entering
4. put off shoes and place them in appropriate place
5. Dont use loud voice
and see carefully what is happening inside that.
i pray from almighty allaah for the right path for you and your wife. best regards

Evidence please ?

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
these are some etiquettes to enter in a holy place.
if you find them incorrect then please let me know!!!

AllahHelpMe

Greetings,

I continue to be fascinated with Islam. As it turns out, my wife and I just moved to a city in Eastern Canada and we found an apartment that is a block from the city's only mosque. I want very much to go in, to see what Muslims do in there... not just out of idle curiosity, but so that I can make an informed decision about whether or not I want to embrace Islam.

When I've investigated other religions in the past, I've been able to attend meditation sessions (Buddhism) or the Liturgy (Eastern Orthodoxy), but it seems to me that one can't just walk into a mosque and join in. What is the general rule about visiting a mosque? Is there a time that is good to visit, generally? Do you need to be a Muslim, or do you need to be accompanied by a Muslim friend (I don't have any such friends yet)?

Thank you.

As-Salam Alikum (may there be peace be onto you)

If you are able to go the mosque witha muslim, it would be easier.
But since you don't know any.
Generaly the afternoon or late afternoon or evening are when there would be people there. So this would be a better time to go there & ask question & you should be allowed to have a look around.

Most mosques would have a notice board outside, these would generaly have some sort of contact details on them for the masjid. They might also have there pray times on there also.

If you can find out there pray times & be around the mosque around that time & you see a muslim brother/sister near or entering the masjid. Just ask if they could have a talk & say that you want to ask questions about Islam & have a look around. They should be more than welcome you & show you around. If they can't because they are busy or something, they should direct you to someone that can help you.

If you decide to enter the mosque with no one else around. Please take off your shoes & don't be under the influrence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
Also please don't make a mess or cause mischief in the mosque.
We all ask that you respect it & the books inside.

You have no need to be nervouse but of course you would be (I was).
No question is to silly to ask or answer. So don't be afaid to ask & if you don't understand, just ask.

There is a possibility that you would first meet a person who doesn't speak or understand english. Now these are fun but are rare. Most people who live in a mainly english speaking country, would know some words of english.

Hopefully this helps you in search into Islam.

If you don't understand anything, just ask.

As-Salam Alikum (may there be peace onto you)

Haroun

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

I think that "take a bath and wear clean dress" is good advice - as respecting any holy places.

When you go and if feel yourself confusing, just go to talk to someone same gender than you are and tell it is your first time in mosque and you just want to know more about islam/how to behave in mosque.

Believe me; people will be kind for you.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
It is great that you have interest in Islam, and want to visit a Mosque.

You will find that not every mosque operate exactly like another one. It depends upon the community and its members.
For Example:
Many mosques have a website which can give you a feel of inside and the names and phone numbers of the Imam and of the office bearers so one could call and schedule their first visit, as you know first impression is a lasting impression.

Several mosques have Dawah (invitation) programs and they can provide a lot of good information on first visit and they have brothers and sisters who make a non-Muslim visitor informed and at-home during the activities in the mosque.

If the Masjid near you have these setups then you are lucky and your visit will be very rewarding.

If the Masjid near you don't have this kind of setup (like don't even have a website) then do as other brothers and sisters have suggested.
Try to go during sunset time when many Muslims come for Maghrib prayers, ask them the name of the Imam and tell them that you want to meet with the Imam. The Imam will then provide you all the detailed information and give you a tour etc.

My general suggestion to any non-Muslim would be to go to a Masjid which has a setup to receive non-Muslim visitors than to the one which doesn't have this setup, even if that Masjid is little bit far away. Because this makes a world of difference. And even after a person accepts Islam still the Mosque's setup and programs matter, because a mosques with Dawah programs have brother and sisters who dedicate their time to teach Islamic way of worshiping to the new-Muslims, while at the other mosque people will just come and go and nobody will spend time with you and you will feel isolated and ignored.

So my suggestion is: Okay, go to this mosque but if you notice that this mosque does not have that kind of setup then still meet with the Imam and learn about Islam, in the mean time try to find a Mosque with this kind of setup. I hope you will find one InshaAllah.

Hope this helps.
:wasalam:

abu'muhammad

Welcome Stavros 388. I hope you have a good time here.

The purpose of masjid are - for offering salaat in congregation ( in group) and alone. For reading al-quraan and performing acts of rememberence of Allaah.For supplications – seeking blessing of Allaah. For learning reading Qur'aan and other important basics of Islaam like daily supplications, basic beliefs etc.

Besides these there are other usages which are casual and for time-being that depends upon the circumstances.

For visiting masjid and gathering info as also mentioned on thread you have to talk with imam of masjid or other responsible muslim person and ask for your concern of gathering information about Islaam. so that someone could help you with that.

I am happy to see your curiosity and if you wish from the bottom of heart to learn something, than success is not at par. May Allaah help you and make you understand and embrace islaam.

World Peace

Islam is Light
Asalamo aleacom brother stavros_388

May Allah guide you to his right path, and enlighten your heart with the light of faith. Continue seeking knowledge. Subhan Allah, your apartment is a block from the city's only mosque? Allah is with you and is helping you get close to him. Visiting the mosque will insha Allah increase your understanding of Islam. if you are a non-muslim and would like to ask about Islam, you can still visit the mosque. Speak to the Imam. You may wish to see how Muslims pray, and hear the Holy Quran recited.

I hope you find the following websites useful too.

Islamic Religion
http://www.islamreligion.com/

Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him)
http://www.rasoulallah.net/

Islamic Invitation
http://www.islamic-invitation.com/index.php

Discover the Truth about Islam
http://theradiantlight.blogspot.com/

Wasalam aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato

BrotherMatthew

Land of the free

Glad to see your interest in visiting a Mosque! :)

Do as the other Brothers and Sisters suggested.

The Mosque is a really beautiful place, and has such a different feel from a Church or Synagogue.

brmm

Hi Steve,
I wish u have found the right path by now inshallah.

If u wish you can write to my email address and I will send u some good material about Christianity and faith,
It is mine and I am still working on it but I will finish it soon inshallah, it is about 120 pages.

Abo Noor

lotus

I, too, would like to know how his visit went. When my Muslim friend took me to Mosque, there were actually chairs on the side for non-Muslims to sit and "watch" prayer in the women's section. There were 6 other non Muslims there to learn about Islam besides me. Everyone was so kind there. I felt very safe and comfortable. I will go back very soon.