Wedding rings for men?

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
:salam2:

I searched through all of the threads with "ring" in them, but was unable to find a relavent post.

I know that gold is forbidden for men, but what about wedding bands in general? What finger should the band be on? I'm looking at getting a fine titanium one as I lost my original band. Titanium is very strong, much like my love for my wife, and will be durable for all of the tasks I do now and will do in the future. One of the rings I'm concidering has two small "black diamonds", and I'm wondering if there will be any conflict with the sunnah.

JazzakAllah in advance. =)

:wasalam:

BintMuhammad

Staff member

I hope this is helpful and may Allaah swt bless you and your wife AMEEN.

Ruling on men wearing white gold

Question:
What is the ruling on men wearing white gold?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Gold is in fact yellow in colour. It may be also described as red because of having some copper mixed with it in most cases. This is what is well known among people and is mentioned in books about language, metals etc.

In al-Mu’jam al-Waseet it says: Gold is a metal that is yellow in colour.

Professor Muhammad Husayn Joodi said in his book ‘Uloom al-Dhahab wa’l-Siyaaghat al-Mujawharaat (Sciences of gold and jewels): It is well known that every kind of metal that is used in making ingots, such as copper, silver, palladium, platinum, zinc etc have an obvious effect on the ingot’s colour, hardness and melting point. Gold gives a yellow colour and prevents oxidization of the ingot. Copper gives the ingot a red colour and makes it stronger and harder. End quote.

After consulting experts in the field of gemology and metallurgy, they said that the phrase “white gold” may be applied to a number of things:

1 – It is applied to the metal platinum. It is permissible for men to wear it and there is no sin in that, because there is nothing in sharee’ah to suggest that it is forbidden for men. The fact that people call it white gold does not make it haraam, because it is just a name that is given to it, but it is not really gold. Similarly, cotton is also called “white gold” and oil is called “black gold”, because it is precious, but that does not make it haraam either. And it is permissible for men to wear precious stones such as diamonds, rubies etc.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Ifta’ (24/76): We do not know of anything wrong with men wearing diamonds, if they are pure and there is no gold or silver with them. End quote.

2 – The name white gold is given to the well-known yellow gold, but it is plated with a layer of platinum. Wearing this is haraam for men, because wearing it means he is wearing yellow gold, and wearing gold is haraam for men according to scholarly consensus, as was mentioned by Imam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Sharh Saheeh Muslim.

3 – The name white gold is given to regular yellow gold that is mixed with a specific percentage of platinum or another metal, of which more or less is added, depending on the standard of gold desired. This usage is very well known in stores selling gold.

What it means, according to the experts, is that in order to prepare a kilogram of 21 carat gold, you mix 875 grams of pure (24 carat) gold with 125 grams of silver and copper. If you add the same amount (125 grams) of platinum instead of copper and silver, you will have a kilogram of white 21 carat gold.

In order to make a kilogram of 18 carat gold, you mix 750 grams of pure gold with 250 grams of silver and copper. If we add the same amount (250 grams) of platinum instead of the silver or copper, we will get a kilogram of white 18 carat gold… and so on.

In a press release issued by the Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on 22/3/1410 AH, which spoke of mineral resources (gold) in the Kingdom, it says:

“White gold” refers to a mixture of gold with 12% platinum or 15% nickel. The colour of the gold may be made pinkish by adding 5% silver or 20% copper. A greenish colour may be achieved by mixing 75% gold with 25% silver, or mixing it with zinc and cadmium. A bluish colour may be achieved by mixing the gold with a small amount of iron. If the gold is mixed with 20% aluminium the resulting colour will be purple. The degree of redness in the gold may be controlled by increasing or decreasing the amount of copper that is added. End quote.

Professor Dr. Mamdooh ‘Abd al-Ghafoor Hasan said in his book Mamlakat al-Ma’aadin (the Kingdom of metals): Pure gold is not hard enough to be used for making jewellery, but it may be mixed with copper, silver, nickel or platinum to make it harder, which at the same time gives it distinctive colours. A little copper makes it more reddish in colour, and silver make it more whitish. Adding 25% platinum or 15% nickel produces an ingot that is called “white gold.”

To sum up: gold is originally yellow in colour, and there is no gold that is white in colour, rather other metals may be added to it that change its colour to white.

So white gold is nothing more than yellow gold, but platinum has been added to it, instead of silver or copper. Hence in the stores the white gold has exactly the same standards as yellow gold. It is well known that adding silver or copper to gold does not alter the fact that it is gold, and it is does not make it permissible to use it. That also applies to adding palladium to it.

Based on this, wearing white gold is haraam for men, because in fact it is yellow gold, but something had been added to it to change its colour to white.

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was asked: It has become common among some people, especially men, to use that which is called white gold, which is used to make watches, rings, pens and so on. After asking the jewellers and goldsmiths, we found out that white gold is actually the well-known yellow gold, to which a certain metal has been added, 5-10%, to change its colour from yellow to white, or some other colour, which makes it look like another kind of metal. Use of this has become very widespread in recent times, and many people are confused about using it.

They replied:

If the situation is as described, the gold which is mixed with other metals still comes under the ruling that it is haraam to differentiate in weight or measure when selling it for gold of the same type, and the exchange must be completed in one sitting, whether it is sold for gold of the same type or for silver or cash. It is haraam for men to wear it, and it is haraam to make vessels out of it. Calling it white gold does not change these rulings. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (24/60)

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Related Article

Praise be to Allaah.

Women can wear rings on any finger. Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Muslims are agreed that the Sunnah is for men to wear rings on their little fingers, but as for women, they may wear rings on all their fingers.” (Sharh al-Nawawi ‘ala Muslim; ‘Awn al-Ma’bood, 11/286). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah

Thank you Sister, but unfortunately that is not quite what I'm looking for, although I appretiate the knowledge about precious stones.

Did Muhammad PBUH wear any rings, and if so on which finger? I was under the impression that he had a silver ring on his left pinky finger, but I can't remember where I got this information.

I'll look those Islam QA myself, but if someone already knows for sure then please let me know. =) Thanks.

Thank you Sister, but unfortunately that is not quite what I'm looking for, although I appretiate the knowledge about precious stones.

Did Muhammad PBUH wear any rings, and if so on which finger? I was under the impression that he had a silver ring on his left pinky finger, but I can't remember where I got this information.

I'll look those Islam QA myself, but if someone already knows for sure then please let me know. =) Thanks.

Asalaamalikum,

Hope this helps.....

Wearing a Ring: Changing Patterns
Edited by Adil Salahi

Some people insist that it is a Sunnah to wear a ring, citing the Prophet’s (peace be upon him) example and saying that the Prophet’s companions did the same. We have a large number of Hadiths mentioning the Prophet’s action on this point. We need to look at these in order to establish whether wearing a ring is a Sunnah, or only recommended, or merely a permissible thing that carries no special importance. The first Hadith we look at is reported by Ibn Umar: “The Prophet acquired a gold ring and he used to wear it in his right hand. People did the same, acquiring gold rings. The Prophet discarded his ring and said: ‘I will never wear it.’ People also discarded their rings.” (Related by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.)

This Hadith mentions an event that took place before the prohibition of wearing gold and silk by men. The Hadith makes clear that wearing gold is unacceptable in Islam. The Prophet wore his ring for a short period, then he learned that it was unacceptable and he discarded it, saying he would never wear it again. This is an indication of disapproval that does not indicate prohibition. The prohibition is made clear in a Hadith which mentions that the Prophet held a piece of gold in his right hand and a piece of silk in his left hand and said: “These two are forbidden to men of my community, permissible for women.” This is certainly a definitive statement, with clear prohibition of gold and silk for men.

Rings can be made of other material. Indeed the Prophet used a ring of silver. Anas reports: “When the Prophet wanted to send a letter to the Byzantines, he was told, ‘They will not read your letter unless it carries a seal.’ He acquired a ring made of silver and carved on it ‘Muhammad Rasool Allah,’ which means ‘Muhammad, God’s Messneger’. I can now see its whiteness in his hand.” (Related by Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood and Al-Tirmidhi.)

These two Hadiths are confirmed by two more reported by Abdullah ibn Umar: “The Prophet acquired a ring made of silver which he used as a seal, but did not wear.” (Related by Al-Tirmidhi.)

“The Prophet acquired a gold ring, but then discarded it, then he acquired a silver ring and carved on it ‘Muhammad Rasool Allah.’ He said: ‘No one should carve the same as I have carved on this ring of mine.’ When he wore it, he would turn its stone inside to make it next to his palm. This was the ring that fell in the Arrees well when Muayqeeb had it.” (Related by Muslim and Al-Tirmidhi.)

These four Hadiths give us a clear picture. The Prophet first had a gold ring, but he did not wear it long before discarding it. This was not an uncommon thing by the Prophet. He might do something then stop it to indicate disapproval. Thus the disapproval will come on the basis of an experience which might tell the Prophet that it is better left out. In the case of gold rings the disapproval was carried further, to indicate clear prohibition for men, specifically stated in another Hadith. We then learn that the Prophet acquired a silver ring, and this time it was needed for a specific purpose. He wanted to send a message to the Byzantine emperor calling on him to adopt Islam. He was told, however, that without a seal his message would not be entertained. Therefore he had his ring carved so as to serve as a seal. Hence he is reported to wear it only sparingly.

Many other Hadiths speak of the Prophet’s rings, but they confirm what we have already stated. It is useful, however, to quote as many as possible of these Hadiths. Anas reports: “The Prophet’s ring was made of silver, and its stone was part of it.” (Related by Al-Bukhari.) In two other authentic reports by Anas, the Prophet’s silver ring had an Abyssinian stone, which he turned to the inside of his hand.

Anas also reports that “The carving on the Prophet’s ring was in three lines: Muhammad in a line, Rasool in another, and Allah in a line.” (Related by Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, and Al-Nassaie.) This is further clarified by a report mentioning that the name of God, Allah, was in the top line, and the Prophet’s name, Muhammad, was in the bottom line. This is because the Prophet did not wish his name to be above God’s name.

Further Hadiths reported by Abdullah ibn Jaafar and Jabir confirm that the Prophet used to wear his ring in his right hand. Anas also confirms this and adds that the stone was turned inside, so as to be next to his palm. However, this was not always the case, as indicated by the following Hadith reported by Anas: “The Prophet used to wear his ring in this finger, pointing to his little finger of his left hand.” (Related by Muslim.) This is confirmed by the following report by Abdullah ibn Umar: “The Prophet used to wear his ring in his right hand, but later he changed, wearing it in his left hand.” Another report by Ibn Umar states: “The Prophet used to wear his ring in his left hand, turning its stone inside.” (Related by Abu Al-Shaykh.)

These Hadiths mean that the Prophet did not wish to maintain a single pattern. This was part of his style, changing patterns in order to indicate their permissibility and that there is no particular preference. The only thing that we note to have been consistently done by the Prophet with regard to wearing a ring is that he turned the stone inside. This is because the stone is the most attractive part of the ring, and it is often the part that invites admiration. The Prophet always preferred what was ordinary, and not particularly eye-catching or showy. However, he did not indicate that people should wear their rings with the stone turned inside.

Moreover, he wore his ring at times in his right hand, and in his left one at other times. This tells us that both are perfectly permissible. The tradition in many countries nowadays is that while engaged to be married, a prospective couple wear their rings in their right hands, and they change to their left hands after their wedding. There is nothing in the Prophet’s action to indicate disapproval. Therefore, it is permissible.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=5&section=0&article=86973&d=24&m=9&y=2006

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Asalaamu Alaikum, Brother,

Thank you for that, May Allah reward you (and the Sister) for your assistance.

So in summary, gold (and silk) are forbidden to Muslim men. Muhammad PBUH wore his rings on both hands, with particular meantion of the pinky fingers. Muhammad PBUH chose to wear his gems towards his palm and out of sight of others, likely as another act of humble submission; We are not commanded to do the same, though men may chose to follow the Prophet's example in this.

hopeNFEAR

bismillah

Asalaam alaikum ,
This is a very good topic that many should look into. Ive read the forums above - indeed they bring forth a great deal of knowledge however your question is about a 'MARRIAGE RING' not if the ring is gold or what finger to wear it on. Before we begin we must refer our knowledge as to where did marriage rings derive from? What it an islamic tradition/ritual or was this something learned else where.
When we explore qu'ran / hadith there is no message/implication saying 'and when you get married exhange rings as a sign of love and affection and to physically show you are married' or any other reason. The prophet (pbuh) never had an exchange of rings for marriage, and we are to take his example. Now with this in mind we know that any innovation is forbidden. Since we have no evidence with rings for marriage this is therefore forbidden. We are trying to bring something new to islam / sunnah and we will be called accounted for as to why on the day of ressurection - Allah knows best on what he will ask us.
Yes to is ok for a man to wear a ring other than gold but your question is 'exchange of marriage rings'. Now we must ask where did this ritual of rings for marriage come from?
It is thought that the exchange of rings came from the egyptian time period - where couples would exchange rings at the ceremony of marriage. Some believe it was been practiced before the egyptians. Either way with this in mind we now know that this tradition had come from the corfa. Futhermore pagan worshippers which indeed the shape of a ring (circle) was an association to the mother goddess Isis. (i wont go into detail). Some fall into the belief that the ring has a significance of power for the marriage and this becomes shirk (association with Allah) as only allah has power and wills what is to happen. Now since there is confirmation that this is not an islamic teaching and one of non-believers we must stay away from it , as the prophet (pbbuh) warned us 'do not immatate the corfa' - this tradition that many muslims are doing today is an immatation of the corfa and generations have been mixing their home cultures with islam. So stay away! from such things insha'allah.
If i have said something incorrect i pray that someone correct me insha'allah .. and i hope this helps you .
Asalaam alaikum

Al-Gharib

No Victor But Allah!

Please note down that there is a difference between wearing a ring in general, and wearing a ring solely for the intention of marriage/engagement...

Question:
What's the ruling regarding wedding rings for men? If permissible, can they be of any material other than gold? What other metals, other than gold, is prohibited for men?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah. With regard to men wearing gold, whether it is a ring or anything else, it is not permissible under any circumstances, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade gold for the males of this ummah. He saw a man wearing a ring of gold and he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) took if from his hand and said, “Would any one of you take a coal from the fire and hold it in his hand?” (Narrated by Muslim, al-Libaas wa’l-Zeenah, 3897). So it is not permissible for the Muslim male to wear a gold ring. But with regard to rings of silver or any other kind of metal, it is permissible for men to wear them even if they are precious metals.
With regard to the wedding ring, which is worn on the occasion of marriage, this is not one of the customs of the Muslims. If it is believed that it generates love between the spouses, and that taking it off and not wearing it will have an effect on the marital relationship, then this is regarded as a form of shirk and is a kind of jaahili belief. Based on the above, it is not permissible to wear a wedding ring under any circumstances.
Firstly, because it is an imitation of those who are no good; it is a custom that has come to the Muslims from the non-Muslims.
Secondly, if that is accompanied by the belief that it has an effect on the marital relationship, then this is a kind of shirk. Laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah (there is no power and no strength except with Allaah).
(From a fatwa issued by Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan).
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about the ruling on wearing engagement rings. He said: The engagement ring is a kind of ring, and there is nothing wrong with rings in principle, unless that is accompanied by some belief, as some people do when the man writes his name on the ring that he gives to his fiancée, and she writes her name on the ring that she gives to him, believing that this will create strong bonds between the couple. In this case, this ring is haraam, because it is an attachment to something for which there is no basis in Islam and which makes no sense. Similarly, with regard to the engagement ring, it is not permissible to the man to put it on his fiancée’s hand, because she is not his wife yet and she is still a stranger (non-mahram) to him, because she is not his wife until after the marriage contract has been done.
See al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, vol. 3, p. 914-915
See also Question no. 11446.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=21441&ln=eng

NAVEED

Assalamoalikum
Very well answered akhi,Allah SWT will reward you for your effort, Ameen. I doubted very much that a 'Metal' will bring love in your marriage life.You and we all should endevour on following those sunnah which you can easily find in hadith rather than looking for a sunnah which does't exist. May Allah forgive us all.
Asalaam alaikum ,
This is a very good topic that many should look into. Ive read the forums above - indeed they bring forth a great deal of knowledge however your question is about a 'MARRIAGE RING' not if the ring is gold or what finger to wear it on. Before we begin we must refer our knowledge as to where did marriage rings derive from? What it an islamic tradition/ritual or was this something learned else where.
When we explore qu'ran / hadith there is no message/implication saying 'and when you get married exhange rings as a sign of love and affection and to physically show you are married' or any other reason. The prophet (pbuh) never had an exchange of rings for marriage, and we are to take his example. Now with this in mind we know that any innovation is forbidden. Since we have no evidence with rings for marriage this is therefore forbidden. We are trying to bring something new to islam / sunnah and we will be called accounted for as to why on the day of ressurection - Allah knows best on what he will ask us.
Yes to is ok for a man to wear a ring other than gold but your question is 'exchange of marriage rings'. Now we must ask where did this ritual of rings for marriage come from?
It is thought that the exchange of rings came from the egyptian time period - where couples would exchange rings at the ceremony of marriage. Some believe it was been practiced before the egyptians. Either way with this in mind we now know that this tradition had come from the corfa. Futhermore pagan worshippers which indeed the shape of a ring (circle) was an association to the mother goddess Isis. (i wont go into detail). Some fall into the belief that the ring has a significance of power for the marriage and this becomes shirk (association with Allah) as only allah has power and wills what is to happen. Now since there is confirmation that this is not an islamic teaching and one of non-believers we must stay away from it , as the prophet (pbbuh) warned us 'do not immatate the corfa' - this tradition that many muslims are doing today is an immatation of the corfa and generations have been mixing their home cultures with islam. So stay away! from such things insha'allah.
If i have said something incorrect i pray that someone correct me insha'allah .. and i hope this helps you .
Asalaam alaikum

FearAllah

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

This issue regarding wedding rings is very interesting. I would like to ask few questions if anyone knows and please don't say 'i think it is this or that..', if you know for sure with relevant sources from hadiths or Qur'an then go ahead and answer inshallah. i would like to know if the bride and the groom wishes to exchange rings as a gift after the nikah day (which means they are islamically married) and not during the nikah day before the contract of marriage has taken place as would christians do when they exchange rings to show that they are now married would that be haram? what if couple wear the ring that has been gifted without the intention of wearing it as a wedding ring and not holding the belief that this will make the bonding stronger as the kuffars do is that considered as haram?
i have heard that what the prophet s.a.w didnt disallow was made permissable so whether one wears the ring or not it doesnt really matter, now it can be argued that it is haram to wear it holding the same beleifs as the kuffars do because then it will be imitating the kuffars but what if one wears it solely for the purpose that it has been given to them as a gift either by the bride or the groom?

im not sure if many of you are familiar with the name dr zakir naik a well known scholar of comparative religion, he says in one of his talks when he was asked regarding wearing a tie how some muslims say that it imitates what the kuffars do since its like the symbol of a cross. His answer to that was if that is a symbol of a cross then when a person wearing a jubba stands with his arms outstretched on both sides what does that look like, that looks like more of a cross then a tie does. He also says that as long as the following of a culture does not affect the teachings of Islam it is ok to do it. That was just an example i know he isnt talking about rings here but i thought i say that following a tradition is ok as long as it doesnt go against the teachings of Islam.
can anyone point out to me please if theres any hadiths on such an issue regarding the exchanging of rings by the bride and groom? since as i said before what has been disproved of by the prophet s.a.w has been stated clearly but those that hasn't been stated clearly in any hadiths are taken to be permissable, now if one wishes to refrain from the exchanging of rings then there isnt any harm in it. But if they wear the ring sharing the same belief as of the christians then that is shirk.

It states here in this commentary by Adil Salahi

He says:

'Moreover, he (s.a.w) wore his ring at times in his right hand, and in his left one at other times. This tells us that both are perfectly permissible. The tradition in many countries nowadays is that while engaged to be married, a prospective couple wear their rings in their right hands, and they change to their left hands after their wedding. There is nothing in the Prophet’s action to indicate disapproval. Therefore, it is permissible.'

Now what are your thoughts on that?

im only asking these questions because there are many new innovations in Islam that are taking place in this duniya in this day and age and they will carry on taking place. and Allah swt does not like innovation in Islam. Islam is a religion of ease not of difficulty its only people that make it difficult. i just wanted to know what the clear rulings are regarding this issue if anyone knows.

I pray that Allah forgives us of our mistakes and guides us to that which is right...Ameen.

wasalam