What does Islam say about depression

Shak78

:salam2:

I have been diagnosed as Clinically Depressed and take Lexipro for it. That helps to stabilize me so I can do other things that help lift the dark veil in my mind. I am going back to school this semester, I get out, read, pray ect. One should not only rely on meds to cure depression but use it to be one of the ways to deal with it. I still have days that are very dark for me. My mother passed away in 2008 at age of 52 and she clinically depressed and used alcohol to self medicate and it killed her. Clinical depression is a real mental illness and if you have it you do need help. You don't just "get over it."

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No, you do not get over clinical depression.

But, lets tackle this.

Clinical depression implies that a person has periods of time where they are in the dark. The mood is flat. The person is not interacting with life. It is a mood that severely interferes with all aspects of life. The person is concentrating on what is wrong. It is a feeling of tremendous emptiness. The person has no pillar to hold onto except the depression. They can't even eat or sleep. They are disconnected with the world and everyone in it. There is no other. The universe is dark and empty. There is no energy. Others avoid the clinically depressed. Let's face it who wants to be around someone that is depressed. Not many.

We have a model from the Quran. Let's go with two.

I love the Prophet Musa. When he was down and out; and he was down and out..he prayed..Oh Allah I am in need of something good.

The Prophet Nuh had the right to be depressed. Eighteen years of suffering. He had everything wiped out and he got some funky skin disease on top of it.

Think of the Mother of the Believers..she was widowed at what 18. She lived to be 80. I have never read anything of her being depressed. She taught us.

What does Islam teach us about depression...which of the wonders will you deny? Why stay in the dark when you can recite the Quran? What else can cure you. He, the Creator, tells us He is our Protector. What else do you need.

Stay in the company of Believers.
Dhikr.
Dua

Why do you think we need zakat. What a way to protect yourself from depression. Keep the ties of kinship. Attend the masjid. Attend a halakha. Seek knowledge. Seek Allah..that is the best of cures. Write letters to those who are incarcerated. Volunteer in schools and hospitals. Give to others.

And say Alhumdullila if it is good and say Alhumdullila if it is bad.

a_stranger

((

Think of the Mother of the Believers..she was widowed at what 18. She lived to be 80. I have never read anything of her being depressed. She taught us.

What does Islam teach us about depression...which of the wonders will you deny? Why stay in the dark when you can recite the Quran? What else can cure you. He, the Creator, tells us He is our Protector. What else do you need.

Dhikr.
Dua

Why do you think we need zakat. What a way to protect yourself from depression. Keep the ties of kinship. Attend the masjid. Attend a halakha. Seek knowledge. Seek Allah..that is the best of cures. Write letters to those who are incarcerated. Volunteer in schools and hospitals. Give to others.))
:ma: sister very well said .

I like to add that we as muslems should try to keep verses of Quran in our minds. Quran is a true cure

For example let us ponder in this verse:

جَنَّاتُ عَدْنٍ يَدْخُلُونَهَا تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الأَنْهَارُ لَهُمْ فِيهَا مَا يَشَآؤُونَ كَذَلِكَ يَجْزِي اللّهُ الْمُتَّقِينَ

16:31 Gardens of Eternity which they will enter: beneath them flow (pleasant) rivers: they will have therein all that they wish: thus doth Allah reward the righteous,-

Since we were born we had many many wishes ,some we got.... many we didn't . Everything will come true if we walk in the path of righteous. We should concentrate on having more faith: iman and do more good . Then we will be happier in this life and then. We shall not be sad for what we lost since what is coming is completely perfect by the will of Allah . Love of Allah subhanahu wa taaala ...hope in his mercy is a true cure for sick hearts.

Nurain

I have been diagnosed as Clinically Depressed and take Lexipro for it. That helps to stabilize me so I can do other things that help lift the dark veil in my mind. I am going back to school this semester, I get out, read, pray ect. One should not only rely on meds to cure depression but use it to be one of the ways to deal with it. I still have days that are very dark for me. My mother passed away in 2008 at age of 52 and she clinically depressed and used alcohol to self medicate and it killed her. Clinical depression is a real mental illness and if you have it you do need help. You don't just "get over it."

Salam 'alaik sis, I understand you. I took fluvoxamine before (probably not as strong as lexipro) abt some yrs back, it left a forgetful side effect in me. But that's not important. I understand that clinical depression is the mental equivalent of just any physical illness. u can't just tell a person to snap out of it, it is a state of mind. do watch this, though sis..

Clinical Depression or Jinn Possession?

Do constant ruqyah, don't leave morning and evening dhikr ( I remind myself ). The darkness, pain is still there, but it's a test, it's a test from Allaah and He loves us wallaahu a'lam..

Fight it sis.. I won't say have snapped out of it entirely, I do get it many times..especially when my iman is low. And I take it as a reminder, there are many many tears, pain no one understands but Him..run to Him.. it's the only way out.. :'

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You said it best: when your iman is low. That is when the depression sets in and takes over.

You have to keep your faith high. Shytan slips in and all you see is the nothingness. You feel hurt and left out.

That is not what faith is.

Depression is the devils playground. Walk out of it.

Ahsen

Pineapple juice lights up the mood for me. Try to be around happy people. Try to get out of your mind and enjoy your life.

abdul-aziz

Depression has been vigorously studied and there is different solutions to varying age and/or circumstances.

It would not be fair to suggest a remedy to one person who is 19 versus an older 40 year old.

The 40 year old may be acquainted with more people whom may have passed away and is noticing it more. While a 19 year old maybe uncertain on what to do as a focused career.

Longer periods of depression need the attention of medical professional, as I could recall like greater than 2 weeks straight.

In the Quran Allah mentions in surah Azzumar 39:53:

Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

Then on:
[Saheeh_International] And when We let the people taste mercy, they rejoice therein, but if evil afflicts them for what their hands have put forth, immediately they despair. [30:36]

Then:

[Saheeh_International]

And if Allah had extended [excessively] provision for His servants, they would have committed tyranny throughout the earth. But He sends [it] down in an amount which He wills. Indeed He is, of His servants, Acquainted and Seeing. [42:54]

And it is He who sends down the rain after they had despaired and spreads His mercy. And He is the Protector, the Praiseworthy. [42:53]

See buy doing good obeying Allah and understanding that trials are just like a test then understand and implement what prophet Ayub rahmat Allah alay did when he was afflicted with trials.

We don't have complete control to our circumstances but definitely have control of the effort of ibadah/worship. So when faced with challenges that arise to a point of depression it is best to increase the good deeds and be very patient. Just like the cloudy and dark full day passes and the next day the sun is bright and shiny and lifts the mood then finally we come to reality to Allah subhanna wata3alla to eternally light our way.

Depression is mistakenly identified with decrease in motivation or energy in mid adults. It is not depression but rather the growth hormones have diminished substantially. The area of the body that is responsible for this is just above the kidneys. As we get older our body produces less and less after adolescence which is normal. Sometimes the levels get too low and a little cost and harm supplement may recharge it. Try brown seaweed extract supplement 500mg/day.

Lastly remember to smile as this is the Qadah and Qadar of Allah.

:wasalam:

Nurain

Assalamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaah wa Barakatuh.

I will probably regret this post when I am better but I AM LOSING IT I am fighting, every single day fighting my own battle and it won't hurt so much if being depressed only upsets me but it's hurting people around me and I don't TRUST anyone enough to seek a solution...
Allaahu! Allaahu! Rabbee
Laa ushriku bihi shay'an.

(P.S. I wrote this yesterday and Qadrotullaah, my PC battery went flat. Now I still would like to re-post because I seek advice from brothers and sisters if you have gone through the same, please give me reminders insha ALLAAHU TA'ALA).

am reading the thread above...........

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Assalamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaah wa Barakatuh.

I will probably regret this post when I am better but I AM LOSING IT I am fighting, every single day fighting my own battle and it won't hurt so much if being depressed only upsets me but it's hurting people around me and I don't TRUST anyone enough to seek a solution...
Allaahu! Allaahu! Rabbee
Laa ushriku bihi shay'an.

(P.S. I wrote this yesterday and Qadrotullaah, my PC battery went flat. Now I still would like to re-post because I seek advice from brothers and sisters if you have gone through the same, please give me reminders insha ALLAAHU TA'ALA).

am reading the thread above...........

salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

dear sister, i dont know what kind of problems you have, may Allah give you strenght..

Allah has said in the Quran:

“And give good news (O Muhammad) to those who believe and do good deeds, that they will have gardens (Paradise) in which rivers flow....” (Quran 2:25)

Allah has also said:

“Race one with another for forgiveness from your Lord and for Paradise, whose width is as the width of the heavens and the earth, which has been prepared for those who believe in God and His messengers....” (Quran 57:21)

The Prophet Muhammad, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, told us that the lowest in rank among the dwellers of Paradise will have ten times the like of this world, and he or she will have whatever he or she desires and ten times like it. Also, the Prophet Muhammad said: “A space in Paradise equivalent to the size of a foot would be better than the world and what is in it.” He also said: “In Paradise there are things which no eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no human mind has thought of.” He also said: “The most miserable man in the world of those meant for Paradise will be dipped once in Paradise. Then he will be asked, ‘Son of Adam, did you ever face any misery? Did you ever experience any hardship?’ So he will say, ‘No, by God, O Lord! I never faced any misery, and I never experienced any hardship.’

If you enter Paradise, you will live a very happy life without sickness, pain, sadness, or death; God will be pleased with you; and you will live there forever. God has said in the Quran:

“But those who believe and do good deeds, We will admit them to gardens (Paradise) in which rivers flow, lasting in them forever....”
(Quran 4:57)

:hijabi:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

Dhikr.
Dua

Sister it is not that easy, I am not denying that the Qur'an is cure for everything, especially a distressed heart----but it is not easy to just bounce of depression. Many cannot get themselves to turn to the Qur'an. Sometimes thins just get tough and because of the fact that your Imaan is so low, you might not be able to believe that it has all the answers (may Allah forgive me for writing this). This is a feeling of emptiness, like been a hole with no place to see any sun shine. No matter how a person tries to receive comfort from Qur'an, they end up crying and losing hope. I'd advice anyone who is suffering from depression to see a counselor----Islam does not restrict us from seeking help.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The choice is yours...however, no counselor is ever going to give you the comfort of your Creator. I never said it was easy...It is a matter of faith.

If you are telling me you read the Quran and do not gain a sense of peace..tell me what you are doing...to raise you iman you need to pray and dhikr..come on enough with the excuses....

What it is telling me is that the person is gaining something from that depression...the person is comfortable in the depression.

Shak78

As a person fighting Depression as I stated earlier in this thread medication can help stabilize you but you have to do other things to help the meds. I pray, read, workout, play video games, play with my son ect to help keep my spirits high. I am back in school and that has helped having to do homework and such as well. I do have days where it is hard for me, like a black hole trying to gobble me up. With a combination of meds and lifestyle changes depression can be managed and you can live a normal life. It is a fight but one that can be won, however those who say clinical depression is not real, you are so very wrong.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I never said clinical depression was not real. It is a matter of many factors. Nutrition. Exercise..outlook..faith.

I do understand that there are groups of people who are prone to depression. That is well documented. Europeans and those who are descendents of Europeans are more prone to generational depression.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

no counselor is ever going to give you the comfort of your Creator.
Subhana'Allah sister, I was not implying that! I never did and never will for indeed help comes from Allah alone and it is through His remembrance that hearts find ease! You simply misunderstood me, what I meant was that a counselor can help us see the big picture and what is important!! Faith is important, but when someone gives up on it---well that becomes problematic. We are well aware of the fact that depression leads to isolation and it makes you enjoy less of what you used to enjoy---that may include Islamic activities and whatnot. So, I suggested seeing a counselor, because if you're willing to change your habits they can guide you to getting back on track.

I hope that I am making myself clear here?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

As a certified counselor I have knowledge of what works. I know what does not work. I know the types of personalities that are prone to depression.

There is no place for depression in Islam. None whatsoever. Think about it for a minute.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
^ wa'alaykum salam

"There is no place for depression in Islam. None whatsoever. Think about it for a minute."

But there is a place for MUSLIMS to be depressed? We're not immune to it....

I seriously dislike Muslims who think that we're too perfect to be sad and depressed.....YES Islam is perfect, but we're not! We're weak humans, we feel pain, sadness, depression and all kinds of illnesses. Just because we're Muslim does not mean we're exempt from been depressed----I see it as a hard test from God, one that I wish I was strong enough to resist! You're a certified counselor, I approve of your knowledge, but please lets differentiate between Islam as a religion and MUSLIMS as people!

I am out, don't wanna deal with this anymore,

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Stop. Just stop for a minute.

Who said we were not immune to depression. We just have the remedy to fight it when it starts to take over. We have dua. We have dhikr. We have salat. We have active remedies.

We are told to socialize. We are told to find community in faith. We are told to smile. How can you be depressed when Allah wishes us to smile. Think about that.

ShyHijabi

Depression is a medical diagnosis, not a sign of spiritual weakness. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain that can usually be rectified with medication as well as cognitive behavioral therapy. Muslims are just as physiologically susceptible to this illness as non-Muslims. I am not sure why this old-school thinking of depression being a weakness or wrongness.

The DSM-IV has this as a medical diagnosis so we should view it as such. Let's remove the stigma that society has put on depression, shall we? I have dealt with Muslim and non-Muslim patients who struggle with this illness. It's really sad to think they would be viewed as defective or spiritually weak. I've seen clinically depressed Muslims doing their salats, making dhikr and so on, so please don't make the judgement that they are doing something wrong. It is no different than a diabetic Muslim. You wouldn't tell him to stop his insulin and just pray, would you? We are Muslims, we trust in Allah AND tie our camel.