What does ISLAM say about family lineage?

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
Assalamu Alaikum dear Brothers and Sisters. It really disturbs my mind when i see people discussing about the family lineage at the time of marriage. I mean how can we blame anyone for something over which he/she has no control and has been given to him/her by Allah.

Here in Kashmir it is a very big issue. Even if somebody is of good religous commitment but has not a good lineage the proposal is rejected.

What is the scenario from your area and what has Islam to say about this?

assalmu aleikum

Assalamu Alaikum dear Brothers and Sisters. It really disturbs my mind when i see people discussing about the family lineage at the time of marriage. I mean how can we blame anyone for something over which he/she has no control and has been given to him/her by Allah.

Here in Kashmir it is a very big issue. Even if somebody is of good religous commitment but has not a good lineage the proposal is rejected.

Bismillahi Rahmani Raheem
Assalamu Aleikum, brothers& sisters, ALLAH has made Islam complete & it is not in our power to question any of ALLAH'S commandements & decrees. First be aware that (anamaa asaabaka lamyakun liyukhdi'aka, wamaa akhda'aka lamyakun yusiibak) All that befalls you was always bound to happen, & all the misfortune that doesn't happen to you would have never touched you. This is to calm your souls & remind you that everything was Decreed by The Almighty. Then ALLAH subhanahu wata'ala said in the glorius Quran (49:13) O Mankind, We have created you from a male & a female & made you into nations & tribes that you may know each other....... This shows that tribes should only be used for recognition & nothing else.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Can you give more information insha allah? Like what negative in the lineage would affect you?

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all

its all superstitious cultural beliefs that are totally unislamic

the people of Kashmir are quite far from deen
some dont like it when i say that because the Kashmiris are suffering but i keep telling everyone that if they were serious about being free of the oppression of the Indian govt, they would realise that they need to stop all their unislamic beliefs & customs & begin to practice deen properly.

another issue with Kashmir is that the muslims want to be "modern"
you see it in their dressing & hairstyles-completely unislamic.

same for Palestine
you cant diffrentiate bet muslim & Yahud when it comes to dressing & hairstyles-they also want to be "modern" & westernised but seem to fail to realise that success is based on 100% deen
not picking & choosing what suits them.
most of us feel sorry for them but when will they wake up?
alhamdulillah, nowadays, there seems to be a deeni awakening amongst Palestinian muslims

they are very ignorant in many deeni matters & we keep on feeling sorry for them

before anyone criticises me for speaking the truth-please find out about what im saying before you post.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

wantobeMumin

:salam2:

I attended sheikh Yasir birjis sermon once and he pointed out that there are only handful of people in arabia who can claim their lineage to our prophet and one of them is current king of Jordan..point is how on earth these people in sub continental india claim the same? its almost ridiculous the amount of syeds or shahs you can meet in pakistan and india. even if u are somehow related to our prophet pbuh still doesnt make u any holly or guarantee u place in Jannah then y people do it?

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
There is nothing wrong with marrying someone from a good family with a noble background or even preferring to marry someone within one's tribe. All this is a matter of preference and acceptable according to islamqa.com But when you start to choose only your tribe, or only your race or give importance to things like linage then that is not part of Islam.

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaayhe wa Salaam) said:

when one comes to you (asking for your daughter) and you are pleased with his religion and character, marry her to him. If you don't, there will be a trial on the earth, and widespread corruption (will prevail) [Tirmidhi] "

lovefordeen

I attended sheikh Yasir birjis sermon once and he pointed out that there are only handful of people in arabia who can claim their lineage to our prophet and one of them is current king of Jordan..point is how on earth these people in sub continental india claim the same? its almost ridiculous the amount of syeds or shahs you can meet in pakistan and india. even if u are somehow related to our prophet pbuh still doesnt make u any holly or guarantee u place in Jannah then y people do it?

wa'alikum assalaam

no it's not true..there are people in malabar( kerala in india) who are direct descedants of muhammed(saws)...they had migrated here from arabia...there are also family names like makthum,barami,jiffri,bafaki in malabar...(some of these sur names are syeds and some are arab families)..i don't know about the syeds in north india,but in kerala i'm sure...maye you could read the history of islam in kerala for further reference inhsaAllah

and Allah knows best...

assalaamu alaikum

Ershad

wa'alikum assalaam

no it's not true..there are people in malabar( kerala in india) who are direct descedants of muhammed(saws)...they had migrated here from arabia...there are also family names like makthum,barami,jiffri,bafaki in malabar...(some of these sur names are syeds and some arab families)..i don't know about the syeds in north india,but in kerala i'm sure...maye you could read the history of islam in kerala for further reference inhsaAllah

and Allah knows best...

assalaamu alaikum

Wow, just wow. I am from malabar. And my ancestors belong to malabar too. And my family name is one of them :p. But, I am not sure if they are direct descendents of the prophet SAW. I am very bad at history and also never tried to know. All I know is that most teachings that are used here are of Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab. He is quite famous in malabar.

I will be glad to know more. But its true that being a direct descendent has no significance to Islam or the person.

Jazaki Allahu khairan.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member

What exactly is a "good lineage"? Sorry for my Ignorance, but no one really cares 'bout this sort of stuff where I come from... As long as you marry one of your 'cousins'.

lovefordeen

Wow, just wow. I am from malabar. And my ancestors belong to malabar too. And my family name is one of them :p. But, I am not sure if they are direct descendents of the prophet SAW. I am very bad at history and also never tried to know. All I know is that most teachings that are used here are of Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab. He is quite famous in malabar.

I will be glad to know more. But its true that being a direct descendent has no significance to Islam or the person.

Jazaki Allahu khairan.

wa'alikum assalaam

not all these family names are thangals(syeds) as i mentioned in the post..for eg,barami is not...you could ask your parents for clarification..

Allah knows best

assalaamu alaikum

Ershad

wa'alikum assalaam

not all these family names are thangals(syeds) as i mentioned in the post..for eg,barami is not...you could ask your parents for clarification..

Allah knows best

assalaamu alaikum

I wasn't interested in finding about myself. Rather history of Islam in kerala. My lack of knowledge about it would be because I didn't grow up there. Only thing that people associate me with that region is by Mapilla muslim which I guess is the caste. If you know of any book or article which is reliable (not the wikipedia, I already read that), I would be glad.

If not, no problem.

Jazaki allahu khairan