what is "tareqat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

almanar

Seeking Allah's Love
Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh.
Peace be upon everyone.

My friend told me she has had a chatting with her friend about something called a "tareqat" a word that i dont know what it is in english. so im here now want to ask if anybody knows what it really is. She told me that it is "ahmadiyyah" and her friend told her that this "tareqat" followers believe that they can see the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) in concsious state of mind, like looking the prophet in the mirror. I have no idea what this "tareqat" is all about and does this thing really exists in Islam?!! Please if somebody have any knowledge or idea.....
I know that we can see our beloved Prophet (p.b.u.h) in dreams but...in awaking state???

Thank you.

almanar

Seeking Allah's Love
is there any prove from the quran or from the prophet (peace be upon him) regarding that? what islam says about those who believe that?
wallahi this is my first time i heard bout this.
i know that ALLAH can do EVERYTHING HE WANTS but is there any contradiction between this n whats been mentioned in the quran n sunna, n the jumhur?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
like we have 4 main schools of thought in Islam - hanafi, shafi, hanbali and maliki.

we also have 4 main tariqahs - nashqbandi, chisti, qadri, suhrawardi.

the main aim of these is to love Allah and come closer to Him.

but as many fake sufis are present and many bidahs, a muslim have to be very cautious about these tariqahs. if u want to join these group, choose a leader and group who follows Quran and sunnah completely.

but where u will find them? i myself dont know. :(

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Prophet :saw:said: “The Prophets are alive and they pray in their graves.” (Narrated by al-Mundhiri and al-Bayhaqi who classed it as authentic)

Prophet :saw: said: “There is no one who sends salaams upon me but Allah will restore to me my soul so that I may return his salams.”

Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, who states:

“The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is alive in his grave in the sense of the life of al-barzakh, so he enjoys the blessings that Allah has prepared for him as a reward for his great good actions that he did in this world. But the life in the grave is not like the life of this world, or the life in the Hereafter.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543724

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
My dear Where is this pharaoh and where is my beloved Prophet Mohammed sws for whom i am ready to cut myself into pieces.

my dear brother I just wanted to remaind you something for good Inshallah.

Dear brother I think it is not good to say
"where is my beloved Prophet Mohammed sws for whom i am ready to cut myself into pieces".
In the time of our beloved ResulAllah s.a.w.s. there were Ashabahs raddailhu anhum who were ready to give thier life for our Prophet s.aw.s. but noone them said they will give thier lifes out of neccesity.And there is no such athing in Islaam like "saints",Alhamdulillah. It is more doctorine of Christanins and there way of saying for their Prists Astaagfirullah etc.

May Allah forgive me if I said anything wrong but just this sentence seemed to me like wrong. And also remember brother that Allah does not love those who are over reacting in anytihng SubhnaAllah.

We know what is bidaah in Islaam!!! Please learn from real Schoolrs of Islaam,and from teaching of early Muslims Inshallah. On the end you have Quran and Sunnah like all of us.

:wasalam:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
It all came directly from my heart.If he is saying that Prophet Mohammed sws is same as pharaoh then i should enlighten him with it.Who is our Prophet Mohammed sws and who was pharaoh.

I should tell him what is the position of our Prophet Mohammed sws and what was the position of Pharaoh.

Saints are the greatest momins for Allah swt for me i.e. who can do miracles happening with all the power from Allah swt.

:salam2:

I belive your intentions were good brother Inshallah,and may Allah keep them like that.

Like which miracles they can do??? I do not belive that there is such a thing in Islaam,Inshallah other brothers and sisters will bring closer fatwa.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
As far as the miracles you want know.
Well the only person who experienced and saw it, will believe it.The biggest miracle is to change someone into islaam by a momin isn't it ?

One Momin like Hazarath Khawaja moinuddin chisti R M A made so many non-muslims to muslims.Isn't it the biggest miracle?

Well there are many miracles.If i discuss it then it might look like over reacting so yeah i should relent it to myself since the person who felt it only can understand it.

Jazakallah khair.

I understand brother what do you want to say,but I thought you maybe wanted to say that those who you are mentioning can do some other miracles Astaagfirullah which I know it is not truth. Doing miracles has been givin only to Allahs Messangers s.a.w.s.
We should make diffrence from these "miracles" which you are mentioning and the real mujizah which were giving only to Allahs Prophet s.a.w.s.

Also the Sheikh which you have mentioned is a Suffi,and Suffis are bringing bidaah in Islaam,the same like Shias,Deobadis, and other sects too which are not havining anything with pure Islaam. May Allah guide them.

Please brother learn from Quran and Sunnah and from teachings of early Muslims. Than you will know that you on the right path of Islaam Inshallah,and please be aware of suffis and their wrong teaching Inshallah.:tti_sister:

Wa jazzak Allah khair

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
And i think moving back to the topic of tareeqa, Tareeqa is also one of the miracles only.

Jazaakallah khair.

Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatuulah wa barakatuhu

Dear brother sami_88, brother ayman1 has already explained to us that "tareeqa" is something dangerous from what all Muslims should be aware, as well from sufism and other devided sects too. And Allah knows the best

May Allah guide us all

Jazzak Allah khair

daywalker

They believe that only Allah is God and that Muhammad, peace be upon him, is His messenger. Therefore, they are not another religion, but a sect. See some details about them at this link,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmadiyya
The are devided in 2 group. one group consider gulam qadiyani as prophet. nd the another group consider him as imam mahdi. the first group obviously kafir for not believe prophet'(sw) as last prophet and claiming ghulam qadiyani as prophet. And the 2nd group who considerd gulam qadiyani as imam mahdi, they also dont believe jesus(aw) 2nd coming, as they have allready denied the verse of Quran. Last year i had 2 qadiyani classmate, this year also one. may Allah guide us.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
As salamu 'alaikkum. You interpret the hadith according to sufi deviants who blaspheme against Allah subhana wa t'ala. You have given an interpretation to this hadith...
When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks.[/color][/i] Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.

While none of the sahabah gave such an interpretation. None of the tabea'en or atba tabee'en gave such an interpretation. Prophet Muhammed salallahu alaihi wa salam said that Abu bakr RA has the highest of imaan compared to all of mankind and even he clearly stated that "Muhammed has DIED", yet you go back to those who are deviant and ignore that which is authentic. You find it so easy to believe some random man going around doing miracles with his fingers, when you have not even witnessed this. While there are authentic narrations that Allah is above the heavens and His throne and Quran verses about it. How comes you try to take that hadith literally and not the Quran ayahs where Allah mentions that He is above the seven heavens? Do you sufis love to pick and choose? My brother fear Allah, and study islam properly. Understand Islam like how the salafs understood it and do not try to find hidden meanings into things that are apparent. You people waste your time imagining over your mind limits. It is dangerous my brother.

Many of these sufis are the people who have deviated completely into kufr such as Ibn Arabee. And many are emergin under his influence, and May Allah save us from it, ameen. So many are those among these sufis who worship graves, saints etc, while every salah you say in Surah Fatihah "You (alone) we worship, You (alone) we seek help from"

So go back to what the Prophet Muhammed salalllahu alaihi wa salam taught us and how the sahabah and the two later generations understood his teachings. So I ask you, by Allah as my witness, to stay away from the deviant teachings you have been learning and Fear Allah as much as He should be feared.

Wa salamu 'alaikkum

almanar

Seeking Allah's Love
assalamualaikum everybody..

i shud thank all of you for writing comments on this post when i cannot find anyone talking about this issue in my place.

ALLAH knows better.

I think we shud not interpret any verses of the quran or hadith without previously refer to what the history behind them, not interpreting it on our own limited knowledge or even desire. One also must provide source of what he is presenting so that readers can trust the authenticity.

anyway i dont want to say this "tareqat" thing is the only thing can be done to remember ALLAH. Here we see flesh and bones and all the stuffs in medical study and yet we also remember ALLAH. may ALLAH give us knowledge.

and i dont feel guilty to say that Rasulullah (peace be upon him) is dead becoz by saying that I dont mean to hate him whatsoever. I love him and we all love him. Peace be upon him.

assalamualaikum

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
assalamualaikum everybody..

i shud thank all of you for writing comments on this post when i cannot find anyone talking about this issue in my place.

ALLAH knows better.

I think we shud not interpret any verses of the quran or hadith without previously refer to what the history behind them, not interpreting it on our own limited knowledge or even desire. One also must provide source of what he is presenting so that readers can trust the authenticity.

anyway i dont want to say this "tareqat" thing is the only thing can be done to remember ALLAH. Here we see flesh and bones and all the stuffs in medical study and yet we also remember ALLAH. may ALLAH give us knowledge.

and i dont feel guilty to say that Rasulullah (peace be upon him) is dead becoz by saying that I dont mean to hate him whatsoever. I love him and we all love him. Peace be upon him.

assalamualaikum

Wa 'alaikumus salam wa rahmathullah, you need to stay away from this thareeqah thing, and remember Allah subhana wa t'ala like how our Prophet Muhammed salallahu alaihi wa salam taught us to remember. Let us think about the report narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood by al-Daarimi in his Sunan, according to which Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari said to ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood: “O Abu ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, I have just seen in the mosque something new that I was not sure about, but I think I have not seen anything but something good, praise be to Allaah.” He said, “What was it?”

He said, “You will see it tomorrow.” He said, “I saw some people in the mosque sitting in circles waiting for the prayer. In every circle there was a man and in their hands were pebbles. He would say, ‘Say Allaahu akbar one hundred times,’ so they would say Allaahu akbar (takbeer) one hundred times. Then he would say, ‘Say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (tahleel) one hundred times, so they would say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah one hundred times. Then he would say, ‘Say Subhaan Allaah (tasbeeh) one hundred times,’ and they would say Subhaan Allaah one hundred times.”

He said, “What did you say to them?”

He said, “I did not say anything to them. I was waiting for your opinion.”

He said, “Why did you not tell them to count their bad deeds and promise them that none of their good deeds would be lost?’ Then he went away and we went with him, until he came to one of those circles. He stood over them and said, “What is this that I see you doing?”

They said, “O Abu ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, these are pebbles with which we count the takbeer, tahleel and tasbeeh.”

He said, “Count your bad deeds, for I promise you that nothing of your good deeds will be lost. Woe to you, O ummah of Muhammad, how soon you have drifted into the way of doom even though the companions of your Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) are still alive amongst you, and his garments and the vessels he used are still not worn out or broken. By the One in Whose hand is my soul, either you are following a way that is more guided than the way of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or you are starting a way that is the way of misguidance.”

They said, “By Allaah, O Abu ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, we did not intend anything but good.”

He said, “How many of those who intend good never attain it.”

Not everyone who seeks or intends good attains it and is guided to it. Not every act of worship is accepted, unless it is in accordance with the Sunnah of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

This denunciation by Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) puts an end to the argument presented by innovators, because they always say, “What reason can there be not to recite dhikr, prayers and Qur’aan? We only intend good and to draw closer to Allaah.”

It should be said to them: Worship must be something that is prescribed in sharee’ah in essence and in its form and the manner in which it is done. If a specific number is prescribed in sharee’ah then no one has the right to go beyond that, and if no number or way is specified then no one has the right to invent a limit for it, because that implies that one is assuming the role of a lawgiver.

So be careful brother about many of the innovated things going around us. Anyways regarding your actual question, I have found a fatwa regarding this matter...

In the sufis thariqa' there was a term call syari'a,thariqa',haqiqa' and ma'rifah.Is this term really have been tought by Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)to his companion according to the definition by the thariqa' it self.

Praise be to Allaah.

We must understand that the word al-soofiyyah (Sufism) refers to wearing woollen clothes [the Arabic word soof means “wool”] and nothing else.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The word al-soofiyyah (Sufism) refers to wearing woollen clothes; this is the correct meaning. It was said that it comes from the word safwat al-fuqaha’ (the elite of the fuqaha’) or from Soofah ibn Add ibn Taanijah, an Arab tribe that was known for its asceticism, or from Ahl al-Suffah (poor Muslims in Madeenah at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who used to stay in the mosque), or from al-Safa (the mountain in Makkah), or from the word al-safwah (meaning elite), or from the phrase al-saff al-muqaddam bayna yaday Allaah (the foremost rank before Allaah). All of these views are weak (da’eef); if any of them were true then the word would be saffi or safaa’i or safawi, not sufi.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 11/195

Sufism (tasawwuf) did not appear until after the first three generations which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) praised when he said, “The best of mankind is my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them…” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2652; Muslim, 2533; from the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to the word soofiyyah (Sufism), it was not known during the first three generations, rather it became known after that.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 11/5

This tareeqah and its like are among the innovated ways that go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah and the way followed by the best generations. All the shaykhs of these tareeqahs have made up their own wirds (phrases to be uttered as dhikr), hizb (books of du’aa’ to be read daily by their followers) and ways of worship by which each of them may be distinguished from the others; this goes against sharee’ah and divides the ummah.

Allaah has blessed this ummah by perfecting its religion and completing His Favour upon it, so everyone who comes up with an act of worship or a way that was not brought by sharee’ah is effectively rejecting what Allaah has said and accusing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) of betraying the trust.

Along with this innovation of theirs, they may also be lying by claiming that they received their tareeqah from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or that they are following the path and guidance of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs (al-khulafa’ al-raashideen).

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked:

Is there any such thing in Islam as the numerous tareeqahs like the Shaadhilyyah, Khalwatiyyah etc? If there is such a thing, what is the evidence for that? What is the meaning of the verses in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al‑Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-An’aam 6:153]

“And upon Allaah is the responsibility to explain the Straight Path. But there are ways that turn aside (such as Paganism, Judaism, Christianity). And had He willed, He would have guided you all (mankind)”

[al-Nahl 16:9]

What are the ways that separate people from the path of Allaah, and what is the way of Allaah? What is the meaning of the hadeeth narrated by Ibn Mas’ood, according to which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) drew a line and said, “This is the path of guidance,” then he drew lines to its right and another to its left and said, “These are other paths and on each path there is a devil calling people to it”?

They answered:

There is no such thing in Islam as the tareeqahs that you mentioned, or anything else like them. What there is in Islam is what is indicated by the two verses and the hadeeth that you quoted, and what was indicated by the hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews split into seventy-one sects, and the Christians split into seventy-two sects. My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of which will be in Hell except one.” It was asked, “Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Those who follow the same path as I and my companions are on today.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “A group among my ummah will continue to follow the truth and to be victorious, and they will not be harmed by those who forsake them or oppose them, until the command of Allaah comes to pass when they are like that.” The truth lies in following the Qur’aan and the saheeh, unambiguous Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This is the path of Allaah, this is the Straight Path. This is the straight line mentioned in the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood, and this is what was followed by the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (may Allaah be pleased with them and with their followers among the early generations (salaf) of this ummah, and with those who follow their path). All other tareeqahs or groups are the paths mentioned in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path…”

[al-An’aam 6:153]

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 2/283, 284

And Allaah knows best.

So be wary of the evil around you my brother and follow and worship Allah through that which is established by Allah T'ala and His Rasool salallahu alaihi wa salam. Understand the book of Allah and the words of Rasool of Allah salallahu alaihi wa salam like how the salafs understood it, and not how the innovators understand it.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
and here is a fatwa regarding sufism in itself...

Praise be to Allaah.

It is important for us to understand, firstly, that the words “Tasawwuf” and “Sufism” are modern terms which refer to something that is not automatically approved of in sharee’ah as the words eemaan (faith), Islam and ihsaan are. Neither is it automatically condemned like the words kufr, fusooq (immorality) and ‘asyaan (disobedience, sin).

In such cases, we need to find out more about what is meant by such words before we can pass comment. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The words al-faqr and al-tasawwuf (i.e., Sufism) may include some things that are loved by Allaah and His Messenger, and these are things that are enjoined even if they are called faqr or tasawwuf, because the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicate that they are mustahabb and that is not altered if they called by other names. That also includes actions of the heart such as repentance and patience. And it may include things that are hated by Allaah and His Messenger, such as some kinds of belief in incarnation and pantheism, or monasticism that has been innovated in Islam, or things that go against sharee’ah and have been innovated, and so on. These things are forbidden no matter what names they are given… And it may include limiting oneself to a certain style of clothing or certain customs, ways of speaking and behaving, in such a way that anyone who goes beyond it is regarded as an outsider, although this is not something that has been stipulated in the Qur’aan or Sunnah; rather it may be something that is permissible or it may be something that is makrooh, and this is a bid’ah that is forbidden. This is not the way of the friends of Allaah (awliya’ Allaah); such things are innovations and misguidance that exists among those who claim to follow the Sufi path. Similarly, among those who claim to be servants of knowledge there are innovations that involve beliefs and words that go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah, using phrases and terminology that have no basis in sharee’ah. Many such things happen among those people.

The wise believer agrees with all people in that in which they are in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah and obey Allaah and His Messenger, but he does not agree with that in which they go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah and disobey Allaah and His Messenger. He accepts from every group that which was taught by the Messenger… when a person seeks the truth and justice, based on knowledge, he is one of the successful friends of Allaah and His victorious party…

Al-Fataawa, 11/280-290.

But what Shaykh al-Islam said about the view of Sufis depending on their situation is almost too theoretical for our times, when the objectionable matters that he referred to have become part of the path of those who call themselves Sufis nowadays, in addition to the different occasions they celebrate such as the Mawlid, and their exaggeration about their living shaykhs, and their attachment to shrines and graves, where they pray and circumambulate the graves and make vows to them, and other well-known practices of theirs. Because of these matters, the correct approach now is to warn against them with no reservations. This is what was agreed upon by the Standing Committee in their answer to a question about the ruling on the Sufi tareeqahs that exist nowadays. They said:

Usually those that are called Sufis nowadays follow bid’ahs (innovations) that constitute shirk, as well as other kinds of bid’ah, such as when some of them say “Madad ya sayyid (Help, O Master)”, and call upon the qutubs (“holy men”), and recite dhikr in unison using names by Allaah has not called Himself, like saying “Huw, Huw (He, He)” and “Ah, Ah (a contraction of the word ‘Allaah’)”. Whoever reads their books will be aware of many of their innovations that constitute shirk, and other evils.

Wa salamu 'alaikkum

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

Doing miracles has been givin only to Allahs Messangers s.a.w.s.
,the same like Shias,Deobadis, and other sects too which are not havining anything with pure Islaam. May Allah guide them.

Please brother learn from Quran and Sunnah and from teachings of early Muslims.

i agree with u that we should only take our guidance from Quran and sunnah
and also shias are deviated sect.

but i want to speak on 2 points: :)
1. though wahy (divine revelation) was only for prophet :saw:, Allah can give kashf or ilham to His auliyas (friends of Allah). these are miracles to strengthen one's faith.

2. many deobandis have done mistakes, but not all are bad or deviated sect. i know many of them and not all share the views of misguided ones.

hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.