Question: What is the most annoying one yet?

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamu'alaykum,

So, I'm going to be frank about this. We get questions, lots of them, on a daily basis because we look and act different. And some questions can be utterly ridiculous. What's your most annoying one yet?

Here's mine, most recent, got it yesterday: when you go shopping to buy clothes do you use the changing rooms to try them on? o_O

And to top it off, here's another: soooo, what do you wear under your dress (abaya) ... ? :eek:

What's yours? Sorts and types? Share share, we're all in the same boat.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

"Pffft... we don't need changing rooms. One glance and we can instantly measure the clothes by eye and picture ourselves in it.." is what I hoped you replied back.

I've just had usual questions: Do you take your hijab off at home? Do you sleep in that, etc.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Assalamu'alaykum,

Here's mine, most recent, got it yesterday: when you go shopping to buy clothes do you use the changing rooms to try them on? o_O

Wait a second... on second thought - are you *sure* this comment isn't meant as anything derogatory? As in.. wait, people like *you* try these clothes on in the changing room, and then *I'm* buying them... like totally oh em gee...

If you think about it carefully, you know... it does sound a bit like that :(

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
1. What are you? -:D - this comes more from Americans.. and unfortunately opposite gender.

In Muslim countries they do tend ask a lot about origins

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
In the summer I get, aren't you hot in that? and in the winter or rainy days, "Oh you must feel so warm and cozy in that? LOL! It's a piece of light-weight cloth, I just don't know why people think it would block off the rain or cold...

I got this once and once only from an ignorant man: "You're in America now, why are you still dressing like a terrorist?!" (I just couldn't believe he really said that me). But he was such a coward he ran away before I can even reply to him but I think he still heard me saying, I can dress like a terrorist if I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
At the summers many ask me as "doesn´t that scarf hot?" Some ask at the first why I use it and then before I answer they will continue like "...ahh yes of course because of mosquitos" and start to advice me to go to the doctor ask some medicine for the bites of them that I don´t need to use that scarf anymore...

In general the most annoying are people whose ask me "did you become muslim because of your husband"... o_O When I answer like "no, because of Allah", they watch me like I would lost some screws from my head.

manal09

saying it frank....

"you are just yet young... do you think boys will see you when you are in that?"

and I am like "well, I'm not a showroom doll" :rolleyes:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
When I answer like "no, because of Allah", they watch me like I would lost some screws from my head.

Some people permanently always look at us as if we've lost some screws from our heads - sadly some of those people are muslims themselves. I once heard someone comment "Thank God my daughter is moderate." ie she didn't wear hijab.

Mahzala

"Pffft... we don't need changing rooms. One glance and we can instantly measure the clothes by eye and picture ourselves in it.." is what I hoped you replied back.

That's exactly what I said. But you know the underlying mockery ... "oh you've got so much to change out of ... "

Wait a second... on second thought - are you *sure* this comment isn't meant as anything derogatory? As in.. wait, people like *you* try these clothes on in the changing room, and then *I'm* buying them... like totally oh em gee...

If you think about it carefully, you know... it does sound a bit like that :(

No it didn't mean anything like this to me. But then again, you never know with these folks.

ya allah madad

0mm3afnan
at the bus stop, I was trying to explain "scalp" to an african sister and a woman was listening to us. I said scalp is what we get dendruff on it and that australian woman said, its because of the cloth that you are tying your hair with"

Mahzala

at the bus stop, I was trying to explain "scalp" to an african sister and a woman was listening to us. I said scalp is what we get dendruff on it and that australian woman said, its because of the cloth that you are tying your hair with"

That definitely makes it to the annoyingly scale. Because that is so dumb. Hair gets dry when it is exposed to the sun. If hair is dry, obviously the roots are dry, and if the roots are dry, the scalp is dry, thus the dandruff. Our hair stays quite moisturised with the hijaab. What did you tell her?