What makes a Muslim NOT a Muslim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

q8penpals

Assalam Aliekum

I was talking with someone and this topic came up, so I am going to try to ask it here and see what thoughts here are.

What makes a Muslim NOT a Muslim? What I mean is, there are many sites and books that say things for instance, that ALL MUSLIM WOMEN MUST WEAR HIJAB. - so if a 'Muslim' woman is not wearing hijab, is she NOT a Muslim? My thought to the person I was talking to was that she may not be the 'best' or 'perfect' Muslim (of course, no one is perfect), but just because she doesn't follow a teaching of Islam doesn't make her NOT a Muslim. Same thoughts for things like dating, alcohol, pork, and other such not-specifically religious things (not for not believing in God or not praying for example - the 5 pillars). If a 'Muslim' drinks alcohol, they are still a Muslim, right, just maybe not a really great Muslim?

What does it take for a Muslim to become a non-Muslim (and again, I am not talking about not believing in God or the 5 pillars)?

Lana

Kayote

:salam2:

Good question. I think, first of all, a true muslim is one who believes in Allah (SHW) & His Messenger (PBUH) & The Quran & the Angels & all the other Prophets (PBUT).

A muslim has no choice in the matter of following the religious obligations (Prayers & fast & zakat) & Insha'Allah if a muslim has fear of Allah, then he will follow the orders of our Creator. If he/she is a muslim just for the sake of being a muslim (e.g. born into muslim household), then he/she is not a muslim.

One very important point to note is that we all are muslims for the sake of Allah (SHW). Allah is the one we fear & we are answerable to so we have no right whatsoever to adjudge someone as a muslim or a non-muslim (however, their following of religious duties is a good indication of whether we should spend much time in their company or not if possible).

:wasalam:

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Wa Alaykum Assalm warahmatullahi wabarktuh,

Here good Article insha` Allah help u..

On Imaan and Kufr (7 Articles) for download as pdf files !!

Asking Help and Calling upon Other Than Allah is Shirk

Importance Of Tawheed And The Evil Result Of Neglecting It

Sihr (magic, witchcraft)

What is Major Shirk?

What is Minor Shirk?

Alhamduillah 4 blessing of islam..
we would like to congratulate ourselves for having been guided by Allaah to embrace Islam, the true and final religion. I ask Allaah to help us and you remain steadfast in adhering to it until we die.

<wasalam>

OmarTheFrench

[Nisa 4:94] O People who Believe! When you go forth to fight in holy war, make a proper study, and do not say to the one who greets you, "You are not a Muslim," - you seek the means of this worldly life; so with Allah are the bounties in plenty; you too were like this before, then Allah bestowed His favour on you, therefore you must make a proper study; indeed Allah knows whatever you do.

"Ibn Umar related that the Holy Prophet said: If a Muslim calls another kafir, then if he is a kafir let it be so; otherwise, he [the caller] is himself a kafir.''

Abu Dawud, Book of Sunna, edition published by Quran Mahal, Karachi, vol. iii, p. 484

Assalam Aliekum

I was talking with someone and this topic came up, so I am going to try to ask it here and see what thoughts here are.

What makes a Muslim NOT a Muslim? What I mean is, there are many sites and books that say things for instance, that ALL MUSLIM WOMEN MUST WEAR HIJAB. - so if a 'Muslim' woman is not wearing hijab, is she NOT a Muslim? My thought to the person I was talking to was that she may not be the 'best' or 'perfect' Muslim (of course, no one is perfect), but just because she doesn't follow a teaching of Islam doesn't make her NOT a Muslim. Same thoughts for things like dating, alcohol, pork, and other such not-specifically religious things (not for not believing in God or not praying for example - the 5 pillars). If a 'Muslim' drinks alcohol, they are still a Muslim, right, just maybe not a really great Muslim?

What does it take for a Muslim to become a non-Muslim (and again, I am not talking about not believing in God or the 5 pillars)?

Lana

The dear prophet Muhammed ( peace be upon him) said A man cannot be a Muslim till his heart and tongue are so.

Abdul Malik

info

Asalam alaikum warahmatulahi wabrkatuh

ALLAH always protect us and inshallah we die upon al islam.

Here is some info that i thought would be of help answering your question.

Ten Things Which Nullify Ones Islaam
by Shaykh 'Abdul-'Azîz Ibn Bâz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the name of Allaah the most Merciful, the Bestower of Mercy.
All praise is due to Allaah, Lord of the worlds. May peace and salutations be upon the Last Messenger of Allaah, and upon all those who follow him until the Last day.To proceed:Brother and Sister Muslim, you must be aware that there are matters which nullify your Islaam. Please be Mindful of them.

1. Associating partners with Alaah (shirk)
Allaah Most High says (in the meaning)
"Truly, whosoever sets up partners with Allaah, then Allaah has forbidden the Garden for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the wrongdoers there are no helpers." (Soorah Al-Maa'ida 5:72)

Calling upon the dead, asking their help, or offering them gifts or sacrifices are all forms of shirk.

2. Setting up intermediaries between oneself and Allaah, making supplication to them, asking their intercession with Allaah, and placing ones trust in them is unbelief (kufr).
3. Anyone who does not consider the polytheists (mushrikeen) to be unbelievers, or who has doubts concerning their unbelief, or considers their way to be correct, is himself/herself an unbeliever (kafir).
4. Anyone who believes any guidance to be more perfect, or a decision other than the Prophets decision to be better, is an unbeliever. This applies to those who prefer the rule of Evil (Taghout) to the Prophets rule.
Some examples of this are:
(a) To believe that systems and laws made by human beings are better than the Shariah of Islaam; for example,

That the Islaamic system is not suitable for the twentieth century.

That Islaam is the cause of the backwardness of the Muslims.

Or that al-Islaam is a relationship beween Allaah and the Muslim. It should not interfere in other aspects of life.

(b)To say that enforcing the punishments prescibed Allaah, such as cuttong of the hand of the theif or the stoning of an adulterer, is not suitable for this day and age.

(c) To believe that it is permissible to give a rule from that which Allaah did not reveal in Islamic transactions or matters of law, punishments or other affairs. Althoughone may not believe such things to be superior to the Shari'ah he in effect affirms such a stnad by declaring a thing which Allaah has totally prohibited, such as adultery, drinking alcohol or usury, to be permissible. According to the consensus of the Muslims, one who declares such things to be permissible is an unbeliever (Kafir)

5. Anyone who hates any part of what the Messenger of Allaah [saw] has declared to be lawful has nullified his Islaam, even though he may act in accordance with it.
Allaah Most High says(in the meaning):
"This is because they hate what Allaah has sent down, so he has made their deeds fruitless" (Soorah Muhammad 47:9)

6. Anyone who ridicules any aspect of the religion of the Messenger of Allaah [saw], or any of its rewards or punishments, becomes an unbeleiver.
Allaah Most High says (in the meaning):
"Say: Was it Allaah, and His signs and His Messenger that you were mocking? Make no excuse; you have disbeleived after you had believed." (Soorah At-Tawbah 9:65-66)

7. The practice of magic.
Included in this, for example, is causing a rift between a husband and wife by turning his love for her into hatred, or tempting a person to do things he dislikes using black arts. One who engages in such a thing or is pleased with it is outside the fold of Islaam. Allaah Most High says (in the meaning):
" But neither of these two (angels, Harut and Marut) taught anyone (magic) till they had said, Indeed, we are a trial; then do not disbelieve. (Soorah Al-Baqarah 2:102)

8. Supporting and aiding polytheists against the Muslims.
Allaah Most High says (in the meaning):
"Whoever among you who takes them as allies is surely one of them. Truly, Allaah does not guide the wrongdoers." (Soorah Al-Maaida 5:51)

9. Anyone who beleives that some people are permitted to deviate from the Shariah of Muhammad [saw] is an unbeliever
As by the word of Allaah Most High (in the meaning):
"And whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will not be accepted of him, and in the hereafter he will be from among the losers." (Soorah Aal-Imraan 3:85)

10. To turn completely away from the religion of Allaah neither learning its precepts nor acting upon it.
Allaah most high says (what means):
" And who does greater wrong than he who is reminded of the revelations of his Lord and turns aside therefrom Truly, We shall exact retribution from the guilty." (Soorah As-Sajdah 32:22)

and He [swt] also says (what means):

"But those who disbelieve turn away from that about which they are warned."

It makes no difference whether such violations are commited as a joke, in seriousness or out of fear, except when done under compulsion (i.e. from threat of loss of life )We seek refuge in Allaah from such deeds as entail His wrath and severe punishment.

Source - www.islaam.net

May ALLAH protect us all frm leaving the dean and increase our eeman always....ameen

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

This issue of who is a Muslim or who is not, is something that normal people like me and you or anyone can make judgement on.

It is something that only the Ulema can say with regards to a specific person after evidence has been given to their circumstance.

Not wearing Hijab will not make you a disbeliever, likewise if a person does something forbidden such as smoking or drinking alcohol. These are big sins, but they are not things that will make you a non-Muslim.

Allah Says in the Quran:

Verily, Allâh forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, and whoever sets up partners with Allâh in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin.(Quran 2:48)

If someone commits grave act of Shirk for example they worship other than Allah OR they do not believe in Allah and they do not believe in the Prophet :saw:this will indeed nullify person's Islam.

Though there are 10 points listed above in other people's posts, which are correct, these are general. We can not go and start using this list against any individuals, that would be something called Takfir. Calling someone a disbeliever. This should never be done by us. If need be, a person can take this issue up with a Scholar who is upon the correct understanding of Islam, who follows the Quran and Sunnah.

Only Allah knows what is in the hearts of his believers,

Wasalam.

followeroffaith

Aa,

Thank you v much for your question.

I believe that allah and only allah can judge the matter of who is and who is not a muslim, or which actions make you one or not. Because it is not actions alone which count, but also intentions, and we have no way of determining another individual's true intentions. We also are limited to the extent to which we can judge someone's mitigating circumstances.

The question really is why do we need to know what makes a muslim a muslim?

I have found that judging people only upsets me and can never be objective, so I have chosen to leave this up to allah. He is after all the best and fairest of judges.

You can judge who you wish to be friends with, sure. But I believe we can never fairly judge each other entirely. And unless you can think of good reason to worry, then there might be more productive things to concern oneself with, that what others are doing. I quite often have to remind myself to keep my eyes on my own work in this life, lol!

Macon, Georgia, mayor converts to Islam---Allah Guides whom He wills

MACON, Georgia (AP) -- Mayor Jack Ellis has converted to Islam and is working to change his legal name to Hakim Mansour Ellis.

Ellis, 61, a Macon native who was raised Christian, said he became a Sunni Muslim during a December ceremony in the west African nation of Senegal.

Ellis said he has studied the Quran for years and that his new religion was practiced by his ancestors before they were brought to North America as slaves.

"Why does one become a Christian?" Ellis said Thursday. "You do it because it feels right. ... To me it's no big deal. But people like to know what you believe in."

Name-changing by converts is a practice that is considered commendable, though it is typically not required.

Ellis said he would keep his last name at the request of two daughters.

Ellis, whose mayoral term expires this year, said he hasn't calculated how his religious conversion might affect him politically. He said he is proud to live in a country founded on religious freedom.

"If anybody wants to know about Islam, I can hold an intelligent conversation," Ellis said. "What I've found is how little we know about the religion."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Salaamalik

Although this wonderful news, it is still bias in the sense that they said "Sunni Muslim." He is just a Muslim, but the media twists and tries to divide us. Notice how they said he was just a Christian and not from any denomination. Only the believers can see and understand this.

May Allah guide us all,
Ameen

[Nisa 4:94] O People who Believe! When you go forth to fight in holy war, make a proper study, and do not say to the one who greets you, "You are not a Muslim," - you seek the means of this worldly life; so with Allah are the bounties in plenty; you too were like this before, then Allah bestowed His favour on you, therefore you must make a proper study; indeed Allah knows whatever you do.

"Ibn Umar related that the Holy Prophet said: If a Muslim calls another kafir, then if he is a kafir let it be so; otherwise, he [the caller] is himself a kafir.''

Abu Dawud, Book of Sunna, edition published by Quran Mahal, Karachi, vol. iii, p. 484

:salam2:

The translation of this Aya is not authentic to the text, for the sample reason : there is no word as 'war' in arabic text of this Aya n°94 in surat N°4 Women
An other thing, there is no 'Holy War' in Islam, what i know in islamic langage no one talk about Holy War.
Holy War has link with Crusaders. And today people stick it to islam.

This is a translation which is more faithfull to the arabic text
"O ye who believe! when ye go abroad in the cause of Allah, investigate carefully, and say not to anyone who offers you a salutation: "Thou art none of a Believer!" coveting the perishable goods of this life: with Allah are profits and spoils abundant. Even thus were ye yourselves before, till Allah conferred on you His favours: therefore carefully investigate. For Allah is well aware of all that ye do."

or this translation for the meaning of the arabic text from tafsir ibn-Katir :

"(94. O you who believe! When you go (to fight) in the cause of Allah, verify (the truth), and say not to anyone who greets you: "You are not a believer;'' seeking the perishable goods of the worldly life. There is much more benefit with Allah. Even as he is now, so were you yourselves before, till Allah conferred on you His Favors, therefore, be cautious in discrimination. Allah is Ever Well-Aware of what you do.)"

Arabic text

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ إِذَا ضَرَبْتُمْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ فَتَبَيَّنُواْ وَلاَ تَقُولُواْ لِمَنْ أَلْقَى إِلَيْكُمُ السَّلاَمَ لَسْتَ مُؤْمِنًا تَبْتَغُونَ عَرَضَ الْحَيوةِ الدُّنْيَا فَعِندَ اللّهِ مَغَانِمُ كَثِيرَةٌ كَذَلِكَ كُنتُم مِّن قَبْلُ فَمَنَّ اللّهُ عَلَيْكُمْ فَتَبَيَّنُواْ إِنَّ اللّهَ كَانَ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرًا

Wa Allaho 'Alam
:wasalam:

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam alai kum brothers and sisters,

I believe no one is judging anyone here, however we must understand we Muslims are not united in the way Allah would like us to be. Unfortunately shaitan has played his role in disuniting us and causing the divide.

If we as Muslims lived our lives according to the Quran and Sunnah of our prophet (PBUH), the Umah would be at its strongest and we would not have all the troubles you see in the world today.

Unfortunately we as Muslims are weak in our deen and we must look at ourselves and see where we are going wrong before we look at others. We need to see where we can improve and at least make the effort to improve and better ourselves, even if it means doing a little at a time it would be better than doing nothing at all.

The brothers and sisters who are perhaps not wearing the hijab or drinking freely and are eating haram foods, free mixing with men and women and all sorts of haram acts will all have to answer to Allah when their time comes. This does not mean they’re not Muslims however their behaviour may resemble that of a non believer. We will all answer to Allah for our actions and we need to ensure we are well prepared before the Angel of death has been appointed by Allah to remove our soul and breath our last breath for there is no second chance.

May Allah give us the ability to strengthen our iman and give us knowledge Inshallah Ameen.

Salam alai kum

lovey1980_2005

As-salaamu-aleye-kum-wa-rehmat-ullahi-wa-barka-tahu-wa-mag-phira-tu

As-salaamu-aleye-kum
First of all you have to know what is muslim means. To know the meaning of muslims first u have to know the meaning of Islam. Islam word comes from the word salaa which means the person who gives all his wishes to allah means the person who obey all the commands of allah without thinking about himself, his loss or profit etc. The person who do all the things which commanded by allah (swt) is called muslim. So if he is not obeying the all command of allah is not a muslim. Example if i wanna be doctor i have to listen all the speach of senior doctor and watch all the practical treatment and to follow that if i don't know the method of operation of heart how could i be a doctor. it is different if no body knows what i learnt then every body can call me a doctor but i only know that i m not a doctor b'coz if i say i m not so perfect and then also i m a doctor no one comes to me for treatment. Excatly the person who says that he or she is muslim and not obeying the commands of allah (swt) allah never comes to him.

Allah hafiz

lovey1980_2005

As-salaamu-aleye-kum-wa-rehmat-ullahi-wa-barka-tahu-wa-mag-phira-tu

As-salaamu-aleye-kum
First of all you have to know what is muslim means. To know the meaning of muslims first u have to know the meaning of Islam. Islam word comes from the word salaa which means the person who gives all his wishes to allah means the person who obey all the commands of allah without thinking about himself, his loss or profit etc. The person who do all the things which commanded by allah (swt) is called muslim. So if he is not obeying the all command of allah is not a muslim. Example if i wanna be doctor i have to listen all the speach of senior doctor and watch all the practical treatment and to follow that if i don't know the method of operation of heart how could i be a doctor. it is different if no body knows what i learnt then every body can call me a doctor but i only know that i m not a doctor b'coz if i say i m not so perfect and then also i m a doctor no one comes to me for treatment. Excatly the person who says that he or she is muslim and not obeying the commands of allah (swt) allah never comes to him.

Allah hafiz

revert2007

Love Fishing
Muslim vs Believer

let me put things in a very simple form.

Anyone can be a Muslim.If u born in a Muslim family than automatically ur a Muslim.

You might be a Muslim,but are u a BELIEVER?

being a Muslim doesnt gurantee a place in jannah

being a true believer is the one takes u to jannah

What is being Believer?

Believe in everything mentioned in Quran and u TRULY FOLLOW and OBEY it and follow the sunnah.

so i would conclude that Believer is The one Allah prefers.
If u believe in what Allah said,u will automatically Obey Him.
When u obey Him,He will be pleased with u insyaAllah

Safiyah_

salaam aleikum

i'm gonna tell u MY opinion, so nobody should feel offended.

I think that if u believe in Allah soebhana wa taala then u can be called a muslim. In Islaam u are not allowed to force someone to anything. So we can't be forced to wear hijab =)

When u wear hijab or don't drink alcohol... that is your decision. Being a muslim is in ur heart !

Shishani

Staff member
Assalaamu 'alaykum.

Wa Alaykum Assalm warahmatullahi wabarktuh,

Here good Article insha` Allah help u..

On Imaan and Kufr (7 Articles) for download as pdf files !!

Asking Help and Calling upon Other Than Allah is Shirk

Importance Of Tawheed And The Evil Result Of Neglecting It

Sihr (magic, witchcraft)

What is Major Shirk?

What is Minor Shirk?

Alhamduillah 4 blessing of islam..
we would like to congratulate ourselves for having been guided by Allaah to embrace Islam, the true and final religion. I ask Allaah to help us and you remain steadfast in adhering to it until we die.

<wasalam>
There is no need to discuss this with so-and-so's opinion.
The brother has given good articles, may Allaah make it beneficial.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.