what we can n can not do for the dead ?

inquizator

Salam Alykum.

This grew longer than I thought - sorry~!
I was reading about this on another thread and fell it's inappropriate to post this there out of Respect, so I began another. Also, I feel bad posting this at the same time but it has to be asked.

Most of what I've been told about what's allowed and not, has come basically from one to only a few men who are quite educated and born into Islam, therefore I've not questioned them thoroughly in 9 years and is my fault alone.

I was told - " I HEARD " I was unable to pray for the dead as basically they've had their chance, it's a done deal and don't do it.
Also I thought no one escaped the torment of the grave and if so, why ask for it?

I believe that anyone can pray to Allah(SWT) (God) for anything if it's true and comes from the goodness of one's Soul. I guess it doesn't necessarily mean you should, but it's our Nature to have sympathy, concern, empathy, bearing an others burden, Love and all our other Human emotions when we lose a loved one and really concerned where they might end up.
I hear of Deeds and Blessings and to me, praying for the dead is both and not intentionally to get Blessings.
I rather dislike being so concerned about getting blessings when they come from the goodness Allah bestowed us with and us using it.
Seems to me that the Goodness we have in our Souls should be able to guide us well as long as our hopefully future Goal is Heaven. Good people do good things as bad people do good also, mostly to benefit themselves first and foremost. Goodness can be misguided as well. I suppose goodness can cancel its self...

Seems as Humans we're naturally allowed to worry, pray, make dua for those our hearts again naturally mourn for and I have always thought so. I didn't believe what I was being told before having a PC.
Now I'm worrying about other things I may have also misheard that I didn't think was right. Makes me a bit angry.

Almost makes me now think that I can't believe anyone. No Offense
I have been going on what my Soul told me and never questioned what I had heard further.
I feel so stupid.

Without killing me with links, and I can't understand Arabic, Please, can anyone direct me to what's True concerning our dead.
What gives on what one is "not" supposed to do, - WHY - when our dead is concerned and where does it come from.

Please don't overdose me - the skinny.

Thank You~!

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Wa'alaikum asalaam brother,

First of all, we should take knowledge from the Quran and Sunnah only. There are lot of people who say you should do this or shouldn't do that, or they heard this is how you suppose to do this or that. All that is fine but when it comes to Islam, if it's not from the Quran and Sunnah then it's not something we should have anything to do with. If someone says something about how things are to be done then, there is nothing wrong in asking for proof from the Quran and Sunnah. The cultural ones will get mad or but the understanding ones will either give you the proof or try to find it for you. So do not be intimidated by others, especially if they seem really religious type because all the more they should be willing to provide you evidence from the Quran and sunnah. If you look at the scholars themselves, whatever they tell you, they back it up with evidence from the Quran and the Sunnah.

Anyways, there is nothing wrong in making dua or praying for the dead ones. inshallah check out the link below on this, it's a short answer with evidence showing what you can do for the dead.

What can benefit the deceased after his death?
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/763

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}
Salam Alykum.

This grew longer than I thought - sorry~!
I was reading about this on another thread and fell it's inappropriate to post this there out of Respect, so I began another. Also, I feel bad posting this at the same time but it has to be asked.

Most of what I've been told about what's allowed and not, has come basically from one to only a few men who are quite educated and born into Islam, therefore I've not questioned them thoroughly in 9 years and is my fault alone.

I was told - " I HEARD " I was unable to pray for the dead as basically they've had their chance, it's a done deal and don't do it.
Also I thought no one escaped the torment of the grave and if so, why ask for it?

I believe that anyone can pray to Allah(SWT) (God) for anything if it's true and comes from the goodness of one's Soul. I guess it doesn't necessarily mean you should, but it's our Nature to have sympathy, concern, empathy, bearing an others burden, Love and all our other Human emotions when we lose a loved one and really concerned where they might end up.
I hear of Deeds and Blessings and to me, praying for the dead is both and not intentionally to get Blessings.
I rather dislike being so concerned about getting blessings when they come from the goodness Allah bestowed us with and us using it.
Seems to me that the Goodness we have in our Souls should be able to guide us well as long as our hopefully future Goal is Heaven. Good people do good things as bad people do good also, mostly to benefit themselves first and foremost. Goodness can be misguided as well. I suppose goodness can cancel its self...

Seems as Humans we're naturally allowed to worry, pray, make dua for those our hearts again naturally mourn for and I have always thought so. I didn't believe what I was being told before having a PC.
Now I'm worrying about other things I may have also misheard that I didn't think was right. Makes me a bit angry.

Almost makes me now think that I can't believe anyone. No Offense
I have been going on what my Soul told me and never questioned what I had heard further.
I feel so stupid.

Without killing me with links, and I can't understand Arabic, Please, can anyone direct me to what's True concerning our dead.
What gives on what one is "not" supposed to do, - WHY - when our dead is concerned and where does it come from.

Please don't overdose me - the skinny.

Thank You~!

Wa aleykum Salaam.

I think it will better if you will First ...tell how u will or have done.

then may be we say something.
(as a personal occurred) waht I did,(as a muslim) not to what they say to BE.

thank you.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Islam is comprehensive isn't it.

We make dua for the deceased. We supplicate for Allah subhana wa taala to widen the grave, to bring light to the grave, to prevent that hell-fire thing..

We love getting blessings. We acknowledge the need for blessings. And we are grateful when we get a blessing.

Death is one of the steps of life. It is well discussed in Islam.

Do not be angry. Get knowledge. Islam is so vast that we can seek knowledge for a life-time and not know everything.

inquizator

Wa'alaikum asalaam brother,

First of all, we should take knowledge from the Quran and Sunnah only. There are lot of people who say you should do this or shouldn't do that, or they heard this is how you suppose to do this or that. All that is fine but when it comes to Islam, if it's not from the Quran and Sunnah then it's not something we should have anything to do with. If someone says something about how things are to be done then, there is nothing wrong in asking for proof from the Quran and Sunnah. The cultural ones will get mad or but the understanding ones will either give you the proof or try to find it for you. So do not be intimidated by others, especially if they seem really religious type because all the more they should be willing to provide you evidence from the Quran and sunnah. If you look at the scholars themselves, whatever they tell you, they back it up with evidence from the Quran and the Sunnah.

Anyways, there is nothing wrong in making dua or praying for the dead ones. inshallah check out the link below on this, it's a short answer with evidence showing what you can do for the dead.

What can benefit the deceased after his death?
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/763

THANK YOU~! Very Helpful. :SMILY259:

strive-may-i

Wa aleykum Salaam.

I think it will better if you will First ...tell how u will or have done.

then may be we say something.
(as a personal occurred) waht I did,(as a muslim) not to what they say to BE.

thank you.

:salam2:
Yes, there is a difference between saying and doing. U have asked it wisely :)

How its done, is where the differences arises. Theory is always theory. Words can play and end up in wrong meaning. The speaker might have intended something, the listener would have understood something else. Its always the listener with his new understanding...