Whats it like being muslim where you are???

Abdul Malik

Asalam alaikum warahmatulahi wabrkatuh,

Alhumdulillah the bro/sis frm the website are frm all over the world, so was just wondering what it would be like being muslim in the USA, France or Holland.

Sharing experiences as muslims from where we live, that can be the good or the bad, coz im sure its not always easy.

Jazakallah khairan.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Wa alaykum assalam warahmatulahi wabarkatuh.

Hmmm... being muslim in the U.S. ?

It's different from a Muslim country. People tend to stare a LOT more, little kids turn around in stores staring or suddenly go silent when I pass. Lets just say if you want attention here, don't dress American, dress Muslim. Makes you almost center stage.

However, I am in a pretty tolerent society, not the best but I can't complain. I've only had a couple incidents where anybody has said anything too rude. But I've actually thanked Allah for these incounters, because if I hadn't had them, perhaps I wouldn't have worked to try to make myself a better Muslim in this country. I mean my family practiced but I went to a public school so I never really had time to really get into Islam.

Now I'm homeschooled. It's a quiet life, but Alhamdulilah I have been given all that I need.

Roemaysa

Holland!

Alhumdulillah the bro/sis frm the website are frm all over the world, so was just wondering what it would be like being muslim in the USA, France or Holland.

Sharing experiences as muslims from where we live, that can be the good or the bad, coz im sure its not always easy.

Jazakallah khairan.

Assalamoe Allikoem everybody,

That is a really good question. I live in Holalnd and I have to say that is it not easy to live in Holland. Theire is a lot of dicrimination. The are afraid off islam. They don't like muslims and the don't trust us. The always think that everybody is a terrorist.

Theire is a Dutch man who wants to build a islamic hospital. He is not muslim!
I am very happy to here that because is wille be the firts islamic hospital in Europe. Everyone is angry about that (duch people and politicians).

It is hard to find a goog job, and to live in pease!
But we are doing or best to show them that we are not bad and that we can be better then them..........

one of or enemies is the media!
I don't know how ist is in othe country's but in Holalnd it is realy difficult....

I hope it will change here inchallah.

Wassalaam,

Roemaysa

ps. I hope that this is a anwser for your question!

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

:salam2:

Brother you should start first with your experience from where u live don't u think?;)
Same as everywhere in the west in Switerland too the media is the key role whether muslims are hated or accepted as they are. Maybe from their point of view they're trying to be objective which we don't judge if they really want to be so. But there is times where they go with the "Trend" if you know what I mean.
The muslims here in Switzerland are differently treated really, mostly the state does not allow us for ex. in most places our own graveyards, mosques etc.
Gneraly spoken, it could be better; they could be fair and respect more the feeling of the muslims, as was the case with the cartoons for ex.
But I think that we should do our part as well in trying to be examples of good manner and living really as muslims and not just acting like it.
You can't say I'm a muslim and at the same time you cheat your wife, drink alcohol and stuff which is totally prohibited in Islam right?
I say we should start to reflect on these things more seriously as muslims, especially our youth.

Abdul Malik

LOL

LOL your rite akhi, Well i Live in the UK and like most western countries we have our tests and fitan.
For the bro/sis that alhumdulillah that are practising according to the quran and sunnah and doing thier up most to try to please ALLAH best they can, then its very testing but hey bro i guess to attain jannah aint never gonna be easy.
I guess we all have it good and bad, alhumdulillah some of the plus points are that we have many masjids here alhumdulillah and very many established muslim communities which cater for the needs of the muslims. In some places we even get the athan which hey for the west aint to bad huh.

But dear brother with the current climate and the media like u said they make it harder and harder but all i can say is we inshallah will rise above it.
We dont what we do for ALLAH and with him is our reward inshallah.

The west will always be testing for the muslims especially for the youth but we can only make duaa and keep spreading the dawaa.

Good to hear what you had to say though everyone.

ALLAH make it easy for us all no matter where we are......ameen

proudmuslimah

The Big Apple

New York is the most diverse city in the world. Sit on the subway long enough and you are likely to see every nationality pass you by. As a Muslim you can find any and every community to get plugged into...Indonesian, Pakistani, Middle Eastern, North African, Latin American...or mixed! If you want to find a masjid or even a nice Halal restaurant there are a plethora to choose from. You can even get halal meat from the local grocery store, which is so convenient. I live in Astoria, Queens and there are about 10 masjids within a 5 minute driving distance from me...Not to mention about a zillion cafes where you can get delicious Kebabs, tangine, tea, shisha...anything really. During the Eid they closed down streets, so if the masjid overflowed with people we could pray on the sidewalk and the street, which totally happened.

After 9/11 many wanted to learn about Islam, and in the process discovered it was the truth! There are many reverts in NY everyday. I have seen so many people take Shahada. It is so great!

New Yorkers are so desensitized when it comes to seeing "weird" and "crazy" things, so walking around with hijab barely turns a head, except from those obvious out-of-towners. Speaking of out-of-towners, leaving NYC is a different story. I have lived in several other places, where living as a Muslim is very difficult. Outside of New York you stick out more, not just as a Muslim, but as a minority. Don't get me wrong there are other diverse cities, but nothing close to New York.

Alhamdullilah! I feel very blessed to live in such a tolerant and open city.

:hijabi:

Submitter

As brother AbdulMalik says, here in the UK it seems it is not as bad as it is in USA or other parts of the western world. I suppose what also makes a difference is where abouts in the UK you actually live. In the city that I live in there is a large Muslim community subhanallah so I never feel like an outsider. I have never had any problems like abuse or anything myself, and have never heard of any such thing with my friends or family either. Cities like Bradford, Birmingham, Leicester, etc, all have a large Muslim community and having been to all of these cities I can say the non-Muslims seem to be quite accepting and have no problem with us. I would not get any weird looks from non-Muslims in places like supermarkets if I was wearing a typical white kurta with a topi on. That's my experience anyway.

But of course, recently in the UK there has been a debate about the face veil that women wear. It seems to me that people are largely quite accepting of us where I live, but the media still has a habit of taking every opportunity they can to target Muslims over such little things as the niqab.

:wasalam:

abumah

Glory is to Allah above all that they ascribe to him

:bismillah:
I live in america, Philadelphia, PA to be exact. There are so many muslims in this city and surrounding cities and states. (NY,NJ, VA, GA,)etc.. Muslims in our city are accepted and respected for the most part. It is totally normal for you to see a street full of muslims on salatul jumu'ah. and masjid is on a major street in philadelphia. My wife is fully covered as well as a lot of other sisters who go to the masjid. The men wear the jalabeeyah and we call the adhan for every salat on that same major street even fajr. Our masjid gives dawah and by the permission of ALLAH people convert to islam sometimes. In my opinion the only way muslims are going to get back to being respected is they return to the Qur'an and Prophetic sunnah in it's pratical applications on a day to day basis. There are three masjids in my city who encourage and advise the people to return all their affairs to the people of knowledge in Saudia Arabia and other than them from those who are firmly grounded in knowledge in other areas of the world. If you obey Allah and His Messenger and those in authority over Allah will raise you over those who disbelieve in this life and hereafter. Maybe if you would listen to, respect the fatwa of the scholars in Saudia Arabia and others like them then Maybe Allah will aid you against his enemies. And Allah knows best, and with Allah is tawfiq.

Argus

It is wonderful to be a Muslim, though living in the United States you always feel nervous. Such as finding a place to pray and wondering if someone might call the police on you (happened to me unfortunately) or wondering if some guy who you tell about your beliefs to might use a fist to answer how he feels about that! It is difficult, but Allah wouldn't have brought me to Islam without challenges to test my faith and Masha'Allah each day I am stronger in my Iman.

cadette

Shukran to Allah in South Africa in almost all towns we have complete freedom of religion. people very rarely turn around to stare. Almost every town/suburb will have a mosque. I think I've been blessed to be living and practicing Islam here.

q8penpals

My American town has less than 20,000 people and there is no mosque within a 3-hour drive - but there are less than 100 Muslims in the town and surrounding area (and they are mostly doctors and their families). The doctors and the community have been allowed (for a long time) to have a prayer room in the hospital for praying and Friday prayers (which is ironic because it is a Catholic hospital named Saint Joseph's Hospital!).

That said, I have never heard of any incident involving any violence against the Muslims - apparently they are too busy having trouble with the Hmong people, which there are frequent incidents of problems with.

Lana

LCAG

Asalam alaikum
How is to be a Muslim in the US? i think that the experience is very different according to the ethnic background you belong and the community you are part off. I am a Latino Muslim sister living in the US. Often i hear my Muslim sisters and brothers that come from Muslim countries saying how hard is to be a Muslim in the US... but I cant relate to that experience.. for me being in the US gave me the possibility to be a Muslim, wear hijab and learn about my deen.. The challenge is when I have to go back home and visit my family (in latin america).. that the problem... its really hard. but as far as being in VA.. alhumdullilah there are many Muslims around here.. the only problem I see is the discrimination within the Muslim community. I actually have seen more discrimination among Muslim than what non- muslims could ever do to us.. its sad, but if you belong to an ethnic group, or your skin color is different from the predominant group at the mosque, your experience can be very bad. As a convert sometimes you wonder to what does this type of behavior have to do with the teachings of the Prophet (PBH) and with following the Sunnah?

young muslimaah

servant of allah
:salam2: living in holland was very difficult as roemaysa already said because they are afraid that the country might become a muslim country and i have to say they are very bad people they can't stand muslims and they try everything to get the muslims out of their country which is why we moved to england alhamdulilah in england you see so much muslims and the english people are not as harsh as the dutch people they don't insult you if your practising your religion in every way which is very good and :ma: we are so relieved now that we are in england.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Wa alaykum salaam

As brother submitter has stated, there isnt much problems im my city either. Its mixed with non-muslims also....i think it depends really where you live...

:But of course, recently in the UK there has been a debate about the face veil that women wear. It seems to me that people are largely quite accepting of us where I live, but the media still has a habit of taking every opportunity they can to target Muslims over such little things as the niqab.:wasalam:

Many sisters still wear the niqab in my area and people are ok with this.

wasalaam

w a n d e r e r

masha'Allah, u guys are strong in faith, may it always be that way : ).
i don't really have experiences here since it's already an Islamic country, but i loved
reading your replies. It makes me feel stronger u know, subhanallah.

Uhibbukum fillah أحبّكم في الله : ).

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
masha'Allah, u guys are strong in faith, may it always be that way : ).
i don't really have experiences here since it's already an Islamic country, but i loved
reading your replies. It makes me feel stronger u know, subhanallah.

Uhibbukum fillah أحبّكم في الله : ).

Yeah you got it easy right brothrer?:SMILY128:
But don't forget that just because you are in an Islamic country you have to take it easy, no:SMILY286:
I think you have to work as twice as we do to learn your Deen and learn it to others right?:SMILY128:

wa ana uhibbuke fillah akhi ;)

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

:jazaak: sister Muslima80, I still have the same words for sister Wanderer though:).

Abdul Malik

Alhumdulillah

Asalam alaikum warahmatulahi wabrkatuh

Alhumdulillah i guess no matter where we are, inshallah it we still carry the banner of our dean.
You know before reading some of the post regarding the bro/sis in the USA, i thought it must be tough for the muslims that side the atlantic but alhumdulillah ALLAH does make it easy for the believer. I guess we all will be tested but hey we know that striving for jannah isnt easy.

Just wanted to ask what sorta reraction do the brothers with beards and thobes and sisters that wear niqaab get???

ALhumdulillah in the UK depending where you its all good and mashALLAH u can drop a beard with no issues wear a niqaab and its unnoticed till the kuffar have to heat it up.

So just wondering what its like for you guys in the USA but everywhere else to.

LOL id love to visit the USA for the baggy clothes LOL but also to see how the muslim communities are like. dont think bush let me in though hehe

Jazakallah Khair for all the response

Kayote

Ok, So its my turn. In London its quite okish these days. Especially after a year has lapsed on 7/7 bombing.

Where we live, we donot have many muslims (or muslims we know of). But Alhumdulillah, the uncle & Aunt I live with are a very good example of muslims & I have a lot to lern from them still, Alhumdulillah.

At work, most of the 200 staff know who I am & I have never hidden the fact that Im a muslim, there are about 6-7 other muslims but as far as I know, none of them even prays, & some are quite open about alcohol & zinah etc. Sad.

But overall, its Alhumdulillah very good & Im fortuinate to be working at a place where they respect not to say anything about my religion.

:wasalam: