What's your degree or education background?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Wa 'alaykum assalam

My interest in psychology is in the areas of abnormal psychology and neuropsychology, for a broad understanding of these topics I would recommend 'Abnormal Psychology Perspectives' author D.J. Dozois and 'Cognitive Neuroscience' author M.T Banich & R.J Compton. I'm not too sure what to recommend for your interests on self-understanding tho. If you wish to learn about personality, perhaps look into personality inventories such as the Big 5 factors, Hexaco Model, and work on authoritarian personalities. Also, social psychology provides a number of theories to understand individual's/groups behaviour dependant upon the context.

I apologize for not being able to direct you to better sources for what you are looking for.

Thats fine I was looking for personality development and how to overcome shyness.

Believer1985

Salam,

But, Sister Apaa, doesn't Islam also say that we must seek knowledge? I suppose people choose to have an education because they need to pave their way in life, so they have a stable future, money-wise. You can still be a good Muslim and have a few qualifications behind you :)

Salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, we must seek knowledge. But, we can not be in blind pursuit of useless knowledge.

There is nothing wrong with being sane. And knowledge does not have to be formal education. It is a luxury.

We need to remember knowledge can be passed on by elders. Craftsmen and farmers. We need to employ technology but we are forgetting how to toil.

All I was suggesting from you last post is not to belittle yourself. Seek knowledge..do not limit it to college.

A

akirahoverduniya

A Muslim never gives up once she/he believes in Allah and the unseen...

Salaam.

Dear Believer1985, you must understand that Allah has created everyone for a purpose. First, to worship him only , and to seek as much Islamic education as possible. Then, what ever course of study you take up to become a professional in or, if you have not been written down to be a bookish person, there is always the vocational aspect of education to explore. Even if you are not inclined to take up vocational studies, there is still much that you are and can still be; eg, you are a daughter and you can aspire to be the BEST DAUGHTER any parent has ever known ( of course you must be within the boundaries of Islam). Then, as a Muslim woman, you must know that marriage is half of your Deen. Here too, you can aspire to be the BEST MUSLIM WIFE ( Muslim women are told in the Holy Qur'an to marry Muslim men); and, Inshah Allah, the BEST MUSLIM MOM. My dear sister, the main thing to remember always is that you MUST ALWAYS put Allah first and foremost in your life.

Sister , with regard to your educational status which seems to be weighing heavily on your mind, you need to understand that whatever is written down for you, you will get and whatever is not for you, you will never get. You must not despair. Before our birth, our provisions are written down for us and regardless of who may try to prevent it, Allah has written it and He gives it. And what has not been written for us, regardless of what we or others do, we will never get it. Remember too, that when one door shuts another always opens. You just have to stop looking at the shut door and turn around to see the open one. Then again, as a teacher, I come into contact with what educators refer to as the ''late bloomers''. In Islam, Allah tells us to be patient and to persevere with constant prayers. Never give up. You may very well better understand now what you did not understand in High School and here is your chance to reopen your mind and re-explore your High School syllabus with an adult's eye. You would be amazed at how much you can understand now. You can check into classes for adults if you wish.

Can you picture a world where everyone is a doctor or a lawyer? That would be most devastating! Allah has created us to be inter-dependent upon each other. As much as we need doctors and lawyers, we also need farmers, fishermen, carpenters, plumbers, florists, caterers etc. Not to imply that these professionals do not have education... it's just that their knowledge is more hands on instead of having to study for years to acquire a piece of paper that acknowledges their qualifications. Please, do not despair...just try something different...try thinking out of the box and make du'a before starting a new venture. Oh, and never look at what someone else has and grieve over it. You too are special and can achieve goals in your life, with Allah's swt Grace and Mercy. Go ahead, just ask Him :tti_sister:

Remember though, you must be willing to work hard and make some sacrifices if you want to succeed. Prayers alone will not suffice. Allah swt says that when His servants come one hand-span towards Him, He comes an arm's length towards His servants. Further, Allah swt says that He will not change the condition of a people until they themselves change their condition. Basically, you have to be willing to work hard and ask Allah for His help in order to effect change in your life.

Ma Salaam.
Your sister in Deen.