when is it enough for divorce?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Brother, after I posted my response I thought about the Prophet Ibrahim. He visited his son. His son was not at home. He did not identify himself to his daughter in law. The Prophet Ibrahim left a message saying the son needed to mend his fence. Years passed and the Prophet visisted his son once again. The son was not home. A new wife was in the home. The Prophet left a message. The fence was good. Ismael took the advice of his father and divorced the first wife. She complained etc. The second counted her blessings.
I can not tell you what decision to make. From what you have written there is no ground for respect and love. If she is deaf to the call of Islam let her go.
As for my tunnel vision. Sister, I am speaking of being a grateful servant to Allah..I am talking longterm investment. Yes, I have tunnel vision. I want to be on the path. Who cares what the kuffir do. As a Mulsim woman..your duty is to Allah, your husband, your parents, your children, and so forth. If she does not wish to be obident to her husband let her find a man that wants a disobident wife..

hager

well,

salam o likum,brother
well..
honestly:when i read ur thread..i was shocked..
seems ur wife?
watching t.v alottttttt,she called u "terriost"
seems what she know about islam "killing,kidnapping...so on "
i guess,she see the wrong sight

I suggest to be more calm with her...
and..talk to her about true islam

tell her,what islam said about childern's treatment?
womens love anyone talk about kids..

don't tell her"haram"..cuz,she seems hates these word
tell her..why haram?
as wine..
when u find her "drinking"..don't say "Stop,this haram"

be smart
tell her
"honey...u know,u have so nice skin,so soft,whatever u get old..u'll be always pretty,if u stopped drinking wine..i read baby,that wine..so harmful for skin,hair..."

and here..u could start
"u know,baby...islam..warn people from drinking wine..cuz,islam care about body's health"

So on...start like that..
I'll keep u in my paryer
but,stay calm
don't leave ur wife..sounds she loves u,but she only have misunderstanding about islam..
okey..she loves u..

Too hard,to find..someone loves/care about u..in these days..

remember that well...okey

MTYKK

Banned
He made a committment to love honor and cherish her......you suggest he should throw that out because she has a hard time accepting the MASSIVE change that has happened in her life? All I can say is that I see a lot of TUNNEL VISION here and little tolerance. Yes she is wrong for attacking him. But do we know how harsh he may be coming across to her in his demands for an Islamic home. Before I converted I can tell you there were times when if had had the guts I would have attacked my husband too. He could make life unbearable by acting holier than thou and making demands that I change my life to suit HIS faith. Give her time, be kind, don't shove Islam down her throat.....if you are good to her, she will see your heart and what isalm has done for you and she could come around. Do you love her? How long have you been married? Are you willing to throw that out because you changed your faith? Love your wife and she will love you. If there are things she continues to do that are unislamic, leave her to do them outside of the home....for instance, if she likes to a concert or out with a girlfriend....let her! As long as she is not disrespecting your home. I know my advice is not Islamic but I am telling you from a woman who hated Islam because of my husband....who actually thought about reporting him as a terrorist because I didn't like the way he shoved his beliefs down my throat....We do crazy things when we feel trapped and at the end of our ropes. Thankfully, when my husband backed off of pushing it on me I came around on my own....though I will say I never once persecuted him for being muslim or stood in the way of him teaching our children islam....

Sister, you're opening my eyes, may Allah Ta'Ala bless you.

El Gordito

strength thru faith
jzk everybody,

i will try once again to talk to her tonight (call me crazy, since it hasn't worked out yet)...

every time i try to explain the beauty and sense of Islam, she remains angry... i have actually never told her to not drink... just that i do not wish it to be in my house... i explained that i would never force her to read Qu'ran, pray with me, or even visit the masjid... i told her that in the future, our children will learn Islam, but it will be their choice to stay with it, i will not force them into anything, but i will do my best to be a good example, even if she wants to do otherwise.... now that i think of it.. it is a very good thing we do not have children... because i don't see that working out..

I think it is time to just discuss matters in a business sense, since matters of the heart don't seem to be working... last night i spent visiting my father's house... and the time away seems to have worked, since when i called her today she seems to be calmer... but i will have to just remain sensible... and it is in the hands of Allah (swt) if we are to be together or not... all i want is love and peace from my wife.... and right now she is giving me neither.

thanks everyone for your input...

wasalaamu alaikum wa ramatullahi wabarakatuhu
jazakallah

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum brother!

May Allah put barakah in your life.
Certain things which seem very difficult get solved nicely just by giving it some time and adopting patience.

I would hope that your wife won't continue with this behaviour for too long as people get tired and when given space and time, can start thinking about other alternatives.

Perhaps she thinks that if she uses all the pressure points you may change your mind, but when she realises that none of these work she will hopefully change her ways.

Your patience throughtout this trial is not only the test of your faith, but also the test of your personality.

May Allah bless you. Ameen

Qur'an&Sunnah

Traveler
:bismillah:
:salam2:

Please Insha'Allah listen, please make Salatul Istikhara right, then if it is a bad sign from Allah please you have to walk away because if she does not want Islam and she is bringing haraam things into your house then that can effect you. Who do you love more Allah, who is inviting you to the Good, or Her?

Insha'Allah may Allah Help you.

dianek

jazakallah to everyone for your advices...

I have never been harsh or mean to her, the only time i have raised my voice was in order to stop her from screaming. ALthough i truely felt like i would have, i always try to maintain self control...

I am not trying to shove things down her throat... she still has bottles of Wine Coolers in the fridge, and posters and pictures of people on the walls... and a DVD collection that most people would forbid their teenagers to see... I told her in the beginning that I would never preach to her anything, unless she was naturally curious and wanted to know more...

i understand that if the situation was reversed how i'd be affected, but in truth, i would never retaliate like this, i would simply remove myself to a location that allowed me to be at peace.

and to make matters worse, she has called her entire family, and told them that i am going to be a "terrorist" and going to things which i explained to her were totally against everything the Qu'ran stands for...

she tried to call my family also, which makes it even more of a sensitive issue because my younger brother is in the USARMY, and he has served in Iraq... i explained to her, the US Army presence in Iraq has nothing to do with Islam , but a political agenda of greed and power, and that my brother only joined the army because he was shown $10,000 bonus, and was told that they would pay for his college, and train him skills to get a better job if he chooses to leave the army (all of which lies so far)....

i am going to try and talk to her today, hopefully we can remain peaceful and respectful... i have been told that I am stupid to expect otherwise, since according to western philosophies the definition of 'crazy' is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result...

i will try to have patience, and Insha'Allah make the best choice for both of us.

Then I think you are a wonderful kind and generous man by all that you have said.....it seems that she is being difficult since it truly is not affecting her by your conversion except for the faith you hold. She should be sensitive to that. She should count her blessings for you. My husband was harsh and terrible when he started to really practice. He made me miserable......I salute you in calmness and sensitivity to your wife. How long has it been since you converted? Maybe it is too soon to see how she will feel if it was recently. Brother if you love her, tell her you love her and your faith doesn't change that and you hope she can accept you and respect your choice. If she cannot, then I would say it would be time to let go.

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
Salamo Alikom Dear brother,
I am really sad that things got this bad for you.
If I were you wz no children, I'll get out.Unless you still love her. Do you still love her?
You need to ask yourself this question.
However, do you think she loves you back the same way?
I think you got your answer.
Anyway, YOU HAVE TO PRAY ESTIKHARA.
May Allah guide you.
Salam

Salaam brother El Gordito,

Remember what Allah swt says:

"On no soul do We place a burden greater than it can bear" (23:62)

After your trial and difficulty Allah will grant you relief. Be patient. Have perserverance. Be a good example for your wife to follow. Humans have limits. We can only do so much. Make dua and let Allah guide her and help you make the right decision.

I pray the best for you akhi.

El Gordito

strength thru faith
thx , jzk everyone..

I spoke tonight with my wife... we remained calm.. and many tears flowed...
we have decided to give it some time apart... what does this mean?

it just means we need space.. apparently we both have issues to work out on our own.. she needs to focus on her career and her education.. and i'll focus on my Deen, and paying off debts...

do i still love her? I feel that true love can never really go away... so yes.

am i still in love with her? simply the answer is no. after seeing her true face, i dont believe we could ever work out.. and i told her this.. and she said she understood... she didn't mean to over react.. but she still feels the same way..

but one very good thing i am happy about - SHE WANTS TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ISLAM !!! AlHamdullilah !

she said she realizes how Islam is touched my heart and soul, and that I am serious about this... she said that she would like to know more.. and i told her to please ask me any questions, and i will answer to best of my ability according to Qu'ran and Sunnah Hadith.. but that if i do not know .. i cannot guess... or make up whatever answer i want... but i would have to consult or get back to her later...

we are both much more calm now...

thank you everyone... i will still pray and Al Istikharah

JazakAllah

Wasalaamu Alaikum

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother El Gordito,

To begin with, let me apologize for not writing more on your issue in my earlier posts. I hope I'm able to give some advice that will -after the grace and mercy of Allah the Almighty- help ease your situation.

To begin with, Muslim men are allowed to marry chaste women of the People of the Book [i.e., Jews and Christians]. Please refer to verse 5 of Chapter 5 of the Qur'an [Surat al-Maa'ida] to check this out. Of course, it would be much better if she would accept Islam, but if she remains a Christian then you're not sinning by staying in this marriage.

However, I fear that her behavior might adversely affect your commitment to Islam. You described some of her actions as follows:

post #1:

she has begun to get violent (pooring water on my head in my sleep, and slapping me in my face in public places)... lots of screeming and shouting...

post #16:

she still has bottles of Wine Coolers in the fridge, and posters and pictures of people on the walls... and a DVD collection that most people would forbid their teenagers to see

post #16:

and to make matters worse, she has called her entire family, and told them that i am going to be a "terrorist" and going to things which i explained to her were totally against everything the Qu'ran stands for...

she tried to call my family also

I am also concerned that if you have children from your present wife, she might teach them to disobey your teachings and instructions about Islam, and it is your duty as their father to teach them how to worship God Almighty in the only way He accepts, and that's through the religion of Islam.

Here are some suggestions that will -God willing- help you:

1- Begin with inviting her to a romantic place where you two are alone. A place that both of you have fond memories of. Begin by saying how much you love her and that becoming a Muslim doesn't change that good things in you, but will only do away with the bad habits you have [God willing].

2- Let your actions speak for you. Acquire good qualities [and keep and strengthen the ones you already have] and implement them in your daily life with her. Be kind, generous, truthful, ready to give help when she needs it and surprise her with unexpected gifts [among other things]. Try to lose the bad habits you have.

3- If she begins the topic of how "strange and foreign Islam is" [in her view] then quote to her that the Roman Catholic Church has issued some statements that shows her view being wrong.

To read these statements and views, please click on the following two links and read the posts I've written there:

http://www.imanway.com/en/showthread.php?t=4070

[posts 1, 2, 4 and 11]

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20320

[posts 1, 21, 27 and 29]

But use this as a last resort. We Muslims should not look for or seek the approval of other religions or institutions. The Book of Allah, the authentic sayings of His Prophet [peace be upon him] and the understanding of the Companions of these two sources are perfectly adequate to us. If quoting Qur'anic verses does not convince your wife that we Muslims worship the Lord of Adam, Noah, Moses and Jesus [peace be upon them all] then only should you quote the above mentioned opinions of the Catholic Church.

4- If there are certain places you used to go with your wife, or certain things both of you did on a regular basis [such as sailing], then continue these practices. It goes without saying that the activities I referred to must not be prohibited in Islam.

5- Explain to her that you do not approve of the "DVD collection that most people would forbid their teenagers to see" because you [rightly] feel jealous, and that this hows how much you love her. This is a healthy kind of jealousy, and that any decent man [whatever his religion] will feel very offended if his wife kept such a DVD collection.

===================================

The violent reaction of your wife [to you becoming a Muslim] may have a lot to do with how the mainstream media portrays Islam to the masses in America and the rest of the Western world. And the only way to dispel such a notion is through you being patient and showing her [with your actions] that you have become better as a man as a result of Islam.

If, however, your wife does not change her ways after all your efforts, then this may have a bad effect on your religion since, at a time of weakness, you might give in to her demands that go against Islam [such as not praying or allowing her to go partying and clubbing...etc].

For this, I ask you to reflect on the following translation of the meanings of the words of Allah the Almighty:

Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight are dearer to you than Allah and His Messenger, and striving hard and fighting in His Cause,[1] then wait until Allah brings about His Decision (torment). And Allah guides not the people who are Al-Fâsiqûn (the rebellious, disobedient to Allah).

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 9:24]

Your love of Allah, His religion and His commands must outweigh your love of your wife. And if it comes to a point where you must choose between her and Islam [if she insists on the ultimatum you mentioned in post #1 or if she doesn't correct her rebellious and abusive attitude towards yourself] then make it perfectly clear to her that you're not willing to forsake the pleasure of your Lord for all the pleasures of this world.

I hope it will not get to that point, but if it does, then you'll have to be prepared for it.

Two more pieces of advice:

1- Seek the aid of a good Muslim scholar who's experienced in dealing with these issues. He'll most probably have better advice that I have given.

2- Click on the following link to hear a lecture by Abdur Raheem Green on how he became a Muslim. There's a section where he explains how his non Muslim girlfriend had bad effects on him.

As a side note, a Muslim should not publicly state his sins [even the ones committed before becoming a Muslim]. Therefore, please do not take Mr. Green's lecture as evidence that it's allowed to do that.

You'll also view a lecture by Aminah Assilmi. That's really inspiring and will -God willing- help you.

The folowing is a link to a post of mine containing Green's and Assilmi's words:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124736&postcount=9

===========================================

I leave you in Allah's care and protection. May Allah ease your pain, resolve your problems and reward you handsomely in this life and in the Hereafter.

Aameen.

Your brother in Islam,

Bluegazer

dianek

Dear Brother:

I am sorry for the situation that you are in but I am overjoyed that you and your wife were able to finally sit down and communicate calmly about everything. I hope that her wanting to learn more about Islam means that there is a path for you to work it out in the future. That it will afford the opportunity for you to "Fall in Love" all over again with her. Do not desert her, stay close to her and support her emotionally during this hard time for you both. God could be giving you a chance for rebirth and renewal in your committment to each other. What part of VA are you in?

A'ISHA888

SALAMALAKIUM BROTHER,ALHUMDULILAH FOR YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF ISLAM MAY ALLAH MAKE THE PATH EASY FOR YOU..I AGREE WITH THE LAST POST, ALTHOUGH THIS SITUATION IS HARD FOR YOUR WIFE, SHE SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR ALLAH,AND HER BEING A CHRISTIAN WOMEN SHE SHOULD NOT BE PUTTING HER HANDS ON YOU,EVEN CHRISTIANS ARE TOLD FROM GOD THAT THEY SHOULD BE RESPECTFUL TO THEIR HUSBANDS AND VICE VERSA,IF YOU HAVE BEEN PATIENT WITH HER AND TOLD HER ALL YOU KNOW ABOUT THE GLORY OF ISLAM AND SHE REJECTS IT, IT'S NOT HARAM FOR YOU TO STAY MARRIED TO HER EVEN IF SHE DOESN'T BECOME MUSLIM, BUT WHEN SHE TRYS TO MAKE YOU COMPROMISE YOUR FAITH FOR THIS LIFE AND MAKES IT HARD FOR YOU THEN I THINK YOU SHOULD BE TAKING THIS SITUATION SERIOUS, THINK ABOUT WHEN YOU DO HAVE CHILDREN WILL SHE ALLOW THEM TO BE RAISED MUSLIM OR WILL SHE STOP THAT TOO...I ALSO WAS CHRISTIAN WHEN MY HUSBAND WAS MUSLIM AND I WAS ALWAYS KIND ABOUT HIS FAITH AND ALHUMDULILAH I SOON ACCEPTED THE TRUTH..AND GIVING UP PAGAN HOLIDAYS SHOULD NOT BE THAT HARD WHEN YOU KNOW YOU FOUND THE TRUE RELIGION, NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN CHRISTIAN.IT MAY SOUND HARSH AND IM SORRY THATS NOT MY INTENTIONS BUT I JUST FEEL STRONG ABOUT ISLAM AND SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HOLD ON TO THESE MATERIALISTIC HOLIDAYS WITH NO RELIGIOUS MEANING..INSHALLAH BROTHER THE IMAM WILL HELP YOU AND IF YOU DO SEPERATE I PRAY ALLAH WILL GUIDE YOU TO A PIOUS WOMEN WHO WILL HELP YOU IN YOUR PATH TO JANNAH..SALAM:tti_sister:

Doris

WHAT A FITNAH

Bismilah,

Dear all,

For the brother who has this fitnah in his house and with the so called wife, I must advice you with the following. 'Urwah relates that the Prophet alayhee salam over looked a high structure from the structures of Madeenah, and he sallahu alayhee ua salam said: " Do you see what I see?' They said,No.' He sallahu alahee ua salam said: " FOR INDEED I SEE THE TRIAL/FITNAH IN YOUR HOMES LIKE THE FALLING OF THE RAIN." (Bukhari and Muslim)
Subhanallah, what an amazing hadith. This is what is happening akhi. The trails brother have a solution that is given from the Prophet sallahu alayhee salam and not by me or anyone else here. And this solution is: Stay Far Away From Fitnah And From Ways That Lead to it. He sallahu alahee wa salam said: " Restrain yourself and your hand and enter your home." ( reported by imam Ahmad)
Salallahu alahee ua salam said: " Indeed there will be trail- the one who is sitting during it is better than the one who is standing..." ( Ahamd, hadith hasan)-- " People will sell their religion for a worldy sum. At that time, one who is adhering to his religion will be like one who is grasping on thorns or hot coal. (Ahmad)

As for getting married with a christian or jew woman now days, and with the fitnah we are living in day by day ?? NEVER. WHY? Simple, we can not even have a normal conversation based on the qur'an and sunah as understood by the Sahabah radiallahu anahu with our wives who alhamdulilah are already muslims imagine with a kafirah mushrikah what kind of everyday life you can have. The ones who say Allah has taken a son. That will be a destructive fitnah. And finally my dear brother what kind of advice would you like Umar ibn Hattab the leader of the believers to give you and what do you think he was going to advice you if he was alive and present in these times of fitna we all are living in? Think about this insha'Allah and may Allah protect you from Shaytan and his friends. Amin.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister Doris,

You wrote [among other things] the following is post #

As for getting married with a christian or jew woman now days, and with the fitnah we are living in day by day ?? NEVER.

I respectfully disagree with you.

The following is a fatwa [religious opinion] posted on a website supervised by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It's an answer to question no. 20849 [He married a second wife and they became Muslim – what should he do with his first wife?]. Please take special note of the phrases I coloured red and set in bold type [like so]:

Question:

I would appreciate if you can give an immediate answer to this question which has been bothering my new brother who just professes his faith in Islam.

A man has had a relationship with a woman bearing 2 children during their marriage relationship way back on their own country. In the course of time, the man got a job in Saudi Arabia for contractual basis, leaving his wife and children behind. At the time the man was working in Saudi Arabia, he met a woman and had a relationship with her which bores them 1 child. A civil marriage ceremony was consumated without the knowledge of the first wife which he leave in his own country.

Now, the couple who both works in Saudi Arabia recently embraced Islam. Since both are new in the religion, fearing they might commit sins/wrongs which is against the teaching of Islam, could you please give us your advise on the following:

1. what is the Islamic ruling about the relationship mentioned?
2. what is the man's responsibility as far as to his 2 children from the first wife, and what is his responsibility now to the first wife?
3. what sins are committed and what to do to avoid this sins? Further, please give Islmaic advice as regards the siutation stated above.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

We praise Allaah for having guided them to Islam, and we ask Allaah to make them steadfast in Islam until death, so that they may attain the Paradise of Allaah and His good pleasure. We give them the glad tidings that Islam erases whatever sin came before it. No matter what sins a person may have committed, if Allaah then blesses him with guidance to Islam, then he will become cleansed and free from sin as on the day his mother bore him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief), their past will be forgiven”

[al-Anfaal 8:38]

“If they cease” means if they give up their kufr or disbelief by submitting to Allaah alone, with no partner or associate. Tafseer al-Sa’di.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam erases whatever came before it” (narrated by Muslim, 121) – meaning, of sin.

Secondly:

A man does not have the right to form a relationship with a woman who is a stranger (non-mahram) to him. If something of that nature happened before they got married, it is a sin which is recorded against them. If that happened before they became Muslim, then Allaah has forgiven it when they became Muslim.

If that happened after they became Muslim, then they have to repent from that. Allaah has promised to accept the repentance of the one who turns to Him in repentance. He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And He it is Who accepts repentance from His slaves, and forgives sins, and He knows what you do”

[al-Shoora 42:25]

“And He it is Who accepts repentance from His slaves, and forgives sins, and He knows what you do”

[Ta-Ha 20:82]

For more information on repentance and its conditions, please see question no. 13990.

Thirdly:

There is no sin involved in a man’s marrying a second wife. Allaah has permitted a man to have up to four wives, if he is able to treat them fairly and give them all their rights. He does not have to inform his first wife of his desire to marry a second or that he has already done so.

Fourthly:

With regard to the man's duties towards his children and first wife, he has to spend on them according to their needs. What really matters is that he should try to guide them and save them from the Fire, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allaah, but do that which they are commanded”

[al-Tahreem 66:6]

So he must do all that he can to call his wife to Islam and to advise her, and encourage her to embrace Islam. If she refuses then he can still remain married to her and not divorce her if she is from among the People of the Book (i.e., Jewish or Christian). But if she is an idol-worshipper then it is not permissible for her to remain the wife of a Muslim, so in that case he has to divorce her.

Please see also question no. 9949.

It should be noted that if one of the parents becomes Muslim and his children are still small (i.e., below the age of adolescence), then they are judged to be Muslim because of his becoming Muslim. But if they are adults or have reached the age of adolescence, then that is not the case. See al-Mughni, 13/115; Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah by Ibn al-Qayyim, 2/507.

Based on this, if the small children know that Allaah has blessed him and them with guidance to the true religion, then he has to teach them about tahaarah (purity, i.e., wudoo’) and prayer, and other rulings, so that they will grow up with it and get used to doing it, following the command of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Teach your children to pray when they are seven years old and smack them if they do not do it when they are ten, and separate them in their beds.”

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 495; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5868.

See also question no. 10016.

He should not stay here for work and leave his young children exposed to loss and deviation; he should try to bring them here to be with him, so that he will be able to do that which Allaah has enjoined him to do of bringing them up well. If he cannot bring them here then he should be in constant contact with them, corresponding with them and guiding them. It is not permissible for him to neglect them and leave them to be lost. He will be responsible for them on the Day of Resurrection.

We also encourage our new brother and his wife to learn the rulings of Islam by reading and asking knowledgeable people and reading useful Islamic sites on the internet, and to apply whatever they have learned in the required manner.

We ask Allaah to make them steadfast and help them to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=20849&ln=eng

Having stated the above, Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid does not encourage this type of marriage. But there's a big difference between saying that something is not recommended and saying that it is forbidden.

Please read the following fatwa [religious opinion] on the same website mentioned above [i.e. the website supervised by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid]. It's an answer to question no. 45645 [A realistic look at marriage to women of the People of the Book]. Again, please take special note of the phrases I coloured red and set in bold type [like so]:

Question:

Does a Muslim man have the right to marry a Christian or Jewish woman as the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not marry Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah, rather she was his concubine. The Muqawqis, the ruler of Egypt, gave her as gift to him after the Treaty of al-Hudaybiyah.

It is permissible to have intercourse with a slave woman, even if she is not Muslim, because she is part of “what one's right hand possesses,” and Allaah has permitted “what one's right hand possesses” without stipulating that the slave woman be a Muslim. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts)

6. Except from their wives or (the slaves) that their right hands possess,.. for then, they are free from blame”

[al-Mu’minoon 23:5-6]

With regard to marrying a Christian or Jewish woman, this is permissible according to the text of the Qur’aan. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Made lawful to you this day are At‑Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends”

[al-Maa’idah 5:5]

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

It is permissible to marry a woman from the People of the Book. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“(Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste [muhsan] women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time”

[al-Maa’idah 5:5]

Muhsan here means chaste; the same word is also used in Soorat al-Nisa’ to describe married women, who are forbidden in marriage to anyone else. And it was said that the chaste women to whom marriage is permitted is free women, so slave women from the People of the Book are not permissible. However, the first view is the one which is correct, for several reasons…

The point is that Allaah has permitted us to marry chaste women from among the People of the Book, and the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did that. ‘Uthmaan married a Christian woman, as did Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah; and Hudhayfah married a Jewish woman.

‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ahmad said: I asked my father about a Muslim man who married a Christian or Jewish woman. He said: I do not like for him to do it, but if he does, then some of the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did that too.

Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 2/794, 795.

Although we say that it is permissible, and we do not doubt that there is a clear text concerning that, nevertheless we do not think that a Muslim should marry a kitaabi woman (a woman of the people of the Book), for several reasons:

1 – One of the conditions of marriage to a kitaabi woman is that she should be chaste, but there are very few chaste women to be found in those environments.

2 – One of the conditions of marriage to a kitaabi woman is that the Muslim man should be in charge of the family. But what happens nowadays in that those who marry women from kaafir countries marry them under their laws, and there is a great deal of injustice in their systems. They do not recognize a Muslim’s authority over his wife and children, and if the wife gets angry with her husband she will destroy his household and take the children away, with the support of the laws of her land and with the help of their embassies in most countries. It is no secret that the Muslim countries have no power to resist the pressure of those countries and their embassies.

3 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) encouraged us to look for Muslim wives who are religiously committed. If a woman is Muslim but is not religiously committed and of good character, then the Muslim is not encouraged to marry her, because marriage is not simply the matter of physical enjoyment only, rather it is the matter of Allaah’s rights and the spouse’s rights, and preserving his household, his honour and his wealth, and bringing up his children. How can a man who marries a kitaabi woman be certain that his sons and daughters will be raised according to Islam when he is leaving them in the hands of this mother who does not believe in Allaah and associates others with Him?

Hence even though we say that it is permissible to marry a kitaabi woman, it is not encouraged and we do not advise it, because of the negative consequences that result from that. The wise Muslim should choose the best woman to bear his children and think in the long term about his children and their religious upbringing. He should not let his desire or worldly interests or transient outward beauty blind him to reality; true beauty is the beauty of religious commitment and good morals.

He should realize that if he forsakes these type of women for the sake of that which is better for his religious commitment and that of his children, Allaah will compensate him with something better, because “Whoever gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with something better than that, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us, the one who speaks the truth and does not speak of his own whims and desires. Allaah is the source of strength and the One Who guides to the Straight Path.

See also the answer to question no. 2527

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=45645&ln=eng

Therefore, we must distinguish between something that is forbidden [and marrying chaste Christian and Jewish women is not prohibited] and saying that the same thing is not recommended or it is not advised to do such a thing.

I hope that brother El Gordito reads this post and weighs his options [especially with the prospect of having children from his present wife and she may lead them astray]. But I cannot say that his marriage to his wife is null and void. She is still his wife, and it may turn out -God willing- that his wife may eventually become a Muslim or at least stop her abusive and rebellious ways and accepts the father's right to teach and discipline his children.

I hope I did not offend you, sister Doris, by this post.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother El Gordito,

When I wrote and submitted post #31 [on 5:31 GMT yesterday], I didn't know that you had written and submitted post #30 [on 5:15 GMT yesterday].

I must say I was happy with the events you described, especially the following:

but one very good thing i am happy about - SHE WANTS TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ISLAM !!! AlHamdullilah !

she said she realizes how Islam is touched my heart and soul, and that I am serious about this... she said that she would like to know more..

And:

we are both much more calm now...

Please click on the following two links to posts of mine which contain videos of documentaries and books that will be an excellent source of information to your wife. Please also read my disclaimers on the videos [also found under the video windows of the first link]:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88428&postcount=5
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116206&postcount=5

Without ignoring the disclaimers I wrote, I believe the documentary entitled "When the Moors ruled in Europe" -the second video from the top- to be the best choice as the first documentary to be watched.

Please click on the following link to see some points that might convince your wife that it's worth watching:

http://www.imanway.com/en/showpost.php?p=17269&postcount=19

I wish you all the best,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH
As Salaamu Alaykum, Subhannah ALLAH, may soften her heart and guide her to the Siraatal Mustaqeem, you might let her talk to some of the Sisters @ the Masjid you go to ( for me ) it seemed to go better for her hearing it from another woman as to why she quit dressing a certain way and freely covered herself, as to why she quit all the dunyah ways and started to make Salaah. One comic said that his wife said she needed time alone... he said buy a watch. She said that she needed space... he said go rent star wars, Al Hamdulillah yours said she wants to learn about Al Islam.

CatherineBrown

It is enough when in the morning you cannot get out of bed, when you are not happy with your favorite food, when every family evening together is a burden. It is enough when it seems that you are not living, when the days just pass you by. I did not immediately understand this, but then I filed papers for divorce https://gaonlinedivorce.com/filing-for-divorce-in-gwinnett-county/. And do you know what happened? The meaning returned to my life, all the colors around became brighter. It felt like a ton of stones had been removed from my shoulders. Even breathing became easier. You will always know when there is enough for a divorce.