Where to focus my eyes during salaah

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
:salam2: Bros and sisters,

Although probably addressed before, please outline at each step of Salaah, where should I focus my eyes and WHY (i.e. reference to hadith and if there is any particular wisdom behind it).
Just asking coz I got a story yesterday - Focus on your toes during Rukhu because thats where your ruh will be removed from (particularly right big toe!) and focus on your nose during sujood coz thats the first part of your body to decay after death and is the symbol for arrogance...

Sounds a bit suspicious to me (when people, especially from "a certain region of the world", take stories and make it religion - happens in my community too)... Just want to clarify....

JazakAllah Khair

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

The scholars have differed concerning where a person should look during salaah, with the majority opining that one should look at the place of prostration. And other scholars concluded that it is sunnah to look straight, and they have quite strong evidences too.

What can be concluded though is that:

As far as I remember, Ibn Taymiyyah weakened all the narrations related to placing the sight upon the place of prostration and concluded that as long as you are looking at the place of prostration and you feel khushoo` in your salaah that is fine. If you look a bit further away, and you have khushoo` in your salaah, then that is fine. If you are looking at the Imaam and you have khushoo`, that is fine as well. So, as long as the place you are gazing at does not remove the khushoo` from your salaah, this is important.

As for focusing your eyes on your toes, then that is weak as well. (I don't know about the Rooh being taken issue). But if you feel you have more khushoo` when you place your sight on your toes and on your nose during sajdah, then that is fine.

The important thing is that one's gaze is not wondering around and is not looking up towards the sky.

WAllaahu A`lam

Ayyub

As far as Iknow Bin Baz rahimahullah said the following:
Taken from the book "The Prophets Manner of Performing Prayer" by Shaykh Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah Bin Baz (rahimahullah)

Page 3 Number 3

Leading up to this point is talking about what to do for salat until you make Takbir and begin your salat...

3. Pronounce "Takbirat al Ihram" that is to say Allahu Akbar celebrating by that the greatness of Allah and looking meanwhile, downwards to the place where he will prostrate.

Some Misc hadeeth on Salat and looking hither and thither.

Sahih Bukhari 431-To cast a look at the Imam during As Salat
Narated Abu Ma'mar) We asked Khabbab radiullah anhu whether the Messenger salalahu allayhi wa salam used to recite (the Qu'ran) in the Zuhr and the 'Asr prayers. He replied in the affirmative. We said, "How did you come to know about it?" He said "By the movement of his beard."

Sahih Bukhari 432- Looking towards the sky during as Salat
Narrated Anas bin Malik Radiullah anhu The Prophet salalahu allayhi wa salam said, "what is wrong with those people who look towards the sky during the Salat?" His talk grew stern while delivering this speech and he said, "They should stop [looking towards the sky during Salat] otherwise their eyes will be snatched away."

Sahih Bukhari 433-To look hither and thither in as Salat
Narated Aisha radiullah anha: I asked Allah's Messenger salalahu allayhi wa salam about looking hither and thither in As salat. He replied, "It is a way of stealing by which Satan takes away (a portion) from the salat of a person."

From Al-Jami'-us-Sahih, of Imam Muslim [rahimahullah], Chapter "FOLLOWING THE IMAM AND ACTING AFTER HIM" aL-Bara' [radiyyallahu anhu] reported: They [The Sahaba-radiyallahu anhum] said Prayer with Rasulullah [sallallahu alahi wa sallam], and they bowed when he bowed and when he raised his head afer bowing, he pronounced "Allah listened to him who praised Him" and
we kept standing till we saw him placing his face on the ground and then we followed him." [Volume I, Hadith #960 and there are other similar narrations]

Just another example that the eyes weren't necessarily on the PLACE OF PROSTRATION, and Allah Knows Best.

The scholars differ in this manner cause there is Shaykh Muqbil, Shaykh Rabee' & Shaykh Fawzee who say to look at the place where you would have the most khushu'a but always in the direction of the Kibla and the others who say to look at the place of prostration.

And Allah knows best.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualykum,

JazakAllah Khair Brothers for the info. The focus on the place of prostration, I know this during standing. I wanted more specific info on during rukhu and sujhud. I can practice for myself to focus on the place which gives the most khushu'a but I need a way to also explain it to the person who told me about the nose and the toes... :p Bro Ayyub, I think you rpost would suffice for this... JazakAllah Khair.

It just really riles me when people give me stories and talk as if its written.

friend263

Assalamualikum warehmatullahi wa barakatahu

Asalamualykum,

JazakAllah Khair Brothers for the info. The focus on the place of prostration, I know this during standing. I wanted more specific info on during rukhu and sujhud. I can practice for myself to focus on the place which gives the most khushu'a but I need a way to also explain it to the person who told me about the nose and the toes... :p Bro Ayyub, I think you rpost would suffice for this... JazakAllah Khair.

You are absolutely right sisterr you are not the only one who heard that i also have heard the same and i am still confused what to do Actually i also have raised a post regarding the same but did not got sufficient answers hence not able to ubderstand what to do.... But now hope any one of the brothers or siters may help us to find the right way in the light of sunnah and quran......... Insha Allah..........

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Asalamualykum,

Don't know about the authenticity of the stories, but if a person has more khushoo`(in rukoo`) looking at his toes rather than the place of prostration- then that is fine. Same thing goes to the nose.

Ayyub

I focus on the place of prostration but I have the habit of closing my eyes where I visualize the ayah, is that haram?

Assalamou Alaikoum wa rahmatullahi wa baratuh

Akhi Shaykh Bazmool hafidhahullah once answered this question and he said:

QUESTION

Is it permissible to close your eyes during prayer for a brief moment to attain submissiveness and tranquility?

ANSWER by Shaykh Muhammad 'Umar Baazmool, instructor at Umm Al-Quraa University in Makkah

It seems that this is permissible, however it must not be taken as a continual, regular practice.

It should be noted here that the norm is that a person is to pray without closing his eyes. It has been established that the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) prayed while wearing a garment given to him by Aboo Jahm. There were markings on this garment, or designs, and they distracted the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) from his prayer [1]. So know that the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) was able to close his eyes so that this garment would not distract him. Rather, he (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) did not teach us to close our eyes during the prayer.

This hadeeth shows that it is not legislated to close one's eyes throughout the prayer in order to attain humility and submissiveness. However, to close one's eyes for a second as mentioned in the question, for a very brief moment, to refocus and gain submissiveness, not closing one's eyes for the whole prayer, it seems to me that this is permissible, so long as it is not taken as a regular habit, and Allaah knows best.

FOOTNOTES

[1] Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree #373 (1/603 of Fat-hul-Baaree) and Saheeh Muslim #1238 (3/46 of Sharh An-Nawawee)

from a cassette recording with the knowledge and permission of the shaykh, file no. AAMB031, dated 1423/7/25.
Ibn Al-Qayyim said: ‘Closing one’s eyes in Salāt is not of the
prophet’s () Sunnah. It is proved that he () used to direct his
eyesight towards his index finger when reciting Tashahhud
nowhere else’.(2)

Al-Fairūza’bādī said: ‘The prophet () used to open his blessed
eyes in Salāt; and never closed them as some “worshippers” do
these days’.(3)

Many ahādīth indicate that which Al-Fairūz’abādī affirmed
such as: he () once stretched his hand -during doing Salāt Al-
Kusūf- to pick grapes from Jannah which was presented for him, he
() also once saw Hell-fire and the woman who was being tortured
in it because of causing death to a cat, he () once walked towards
his Sutra because there was an animal trying to pass in front of him,
he () also pushed away a boy and a little girl who were trying to
pass in front of him, he () used to return Salām to those greeting
him using his hand, he () once saw Shaitān in his Salāt [trying to distract his attention] and he () strangulated him. All these
ahādīth affirm that he () used to keep his eyes open in his Salāt.
The ‘Ulamah differed amongst themselves regarding the ruling
of this act in Salāt; Imām Ahmad and others considered it a
detested act for this was the act of the Jews, others considered it as
something permissible for it helps a muslim be fully transcend into
serenity which is the soul of the Salāt.
The soundest of all opinions is that one should open one’s eyes
in Salāt, provided that this does not distract one’s attention from it.
Closing eyes in Salāt is however, recommended in case one is
unable to be fully given to Salāt due to some decorations or
distractors in front of him. Allāh () knows best. (1)

(1) See: “Zādul Ma‘ād” (vol. 1 / p. 294), Al-Fatāwā (p. 147) by Al-‘Izz Ibn Abdis
Salām, and “Sifrus Sa‘ādah” (p. 20).
(3) “Sifrus Sa‘ādah” (p. 20),

So according to the ulema it is not from the sunnah to close the eyes in prayer but it is allowed to close them for a brief moment if it is helpful in concentrating.

And Allah knows best.

Barakallahu feekum

Abdullah5576

Assalamou Alaikoum wa rahmatullahi wa baratuh

Akhi Shaykh Bazmool hafidhahullah once answered this question and he said:

So according to the ulema it is not from the sunnah to close the eyes in prayer but it is allowed to close them for a brief moment if it is helpful in concentrating.

And Allah knows best.

Barakallahu feekum

Jazakallah Khair :)