who are ppl of Wood/Rass/Tubba mentioned in Qur'an?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Assalaamu alaykum

In which verses are they mentionned?

JazaakaLLahu khayral jaza'

:wasalam:

Before them was denied (the Hereafter) by the people of Noah, the companions of the Rass, Thamud.
And 'Ad, Pharaoh, the brethren of Lut.
And the companions of the Wood, and the people of Tubba; each one (of them) rejected the messengers, and My warning was duly fulfilled (in them). (Qaf, 50: 12-14)

very good question indeed.

tubba is the old name of saba (sheba). they are also mentioned in Surah Ad-Duhkaan.

taken from tafsir ibn kathir:

They Tubba` were Arab descendants of Qahtan, just as these people (Quraysh) were Arab descendants of `Adnan. Among the people of Himyar -- who are also known as Saba' -- when a man became their king, they called him Tubba`, just as the title Chosroes was given to the king of Persia, Caesar to the king of the Romans, Fir`awn to the disbelieving ruler of Egypt, Negus to the king of Ethiopia, and so on among other nations. But it so happened that one of the Tubba` left Yemen and went on a journey of conquest until he reached Samarqand, expanding his kingdom and domain. He is the one who founded Al-Hirah. It is agreed that he passed through Al-Madinah during the days of Jahiliyyah. He fought its inhabitants but they resisted him; they fought him by day and supplied him with food by night, so he felt ashamed before them and refrained from harming them. He was accompanied by two Jewish rabbis who advised him and told him that he would never prevail over this city, for it would be the place to which a Prophet would migrate towards the end of time. So he retreated and took them (the two rabbis) with him to Yemen. When he passed by Makkah, he wanted to destroy the Ka`bah, but they told him not to do that either. They told him about the significance of this House, that it had been built by Ibrahim Al-Khalil, peace be upon him, and that it would become of great importance through that Prophet who would be sent towards the end of time. So he respected it, performed Tawaf around it, and covered it with a fine cloth. Then he returned to Yemen and invited its people to follow the religion of guidance along with him. At that time, the religion of Musa, peace be upon him, was the religion followed by those who were guided, before the coming of the Messiah, peace be upon him. So the people of Yemen accepted the religion of guidance along with him. `Abdur-Razzaq recorded that Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, said, "The Messenger of Allah said:«مَا أَدْرِي تُبَّعٌ نَبِيًّا كَانَ، أَمْ غَيْرَ نَبِي»(I do not know whether Tubba` was a Prophet or not.) It was narrated that Tamim bin `Abdur-Rahman said: " `Ata' bin Abi Rabah said, `Do not revile Tubba`, for the Messenger of Allah forbade reviling him.''' And Allah knows best.

Ar-Rass is also mentioned in Surah Al-Furqan. according to tafsir ibn kathir:

As for the Dwellers of Ar-Rass, Ibn Jurayj narrated from Ibn `Abbas about the Dwellers of Ar-Rass that they were the people of one of the villages of Thamud. Ath-Thawri narrated from Abu Bukayr from `Ikrimah that Ar-Rass was a well where they buried (Rassu) their Prophet.

the people of Aykah are also mentioned in Surah Al-Araf and Surah Qaf. Wood: Aykah

extract from tafsir ibn kathir:

(And the Dwellers of Al-Aykah), they are the nation of Shu`ayb, peace be upon him

Muhammad bin Ishaq said, "They (the people of Madyan) are the descendents of Madyan, son of Midyan, son of Ibrahim. Shu`ayb was the son of Mikil bin Yashjur. And in the Syrian language, his name was Yathrun (Jethro)''. I (Ibn Kathir) say, Madyan was the name of the tribe and also a city that is close to Ma`an on route to the Hijaz (from Ash-Sham). Allah said in another Ayah,﴿وَلَمَّا وَرَدَ مَآءَ مَدْيَنَ وَجَدَ عَلَيْهِ أُمَّةً مِّنَ النَّاسِ يَسْقُونَ﴾(And when he arrived at the water (a well) of Madyan he found there a group of men watering (their flocks).) ﴿28:23﴾ They are also the people of Al-Aykah (the Woods),

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
:salam2:

JazaakumuLlahu khayran

Here's what i found about the companions of al-Rass

Ibnu Abbas, said that the companions of the Rass (Ashab ar-Rass) were people who stayed in one of the villages that was part of the Thamud civilization. Some history books narrated that a prophet named Hanzalah ibn Safwan was appointed amongst them and he called them to Islam. They killed him and threw his dead body in a well called al-Rass. That was the origin of them being called companions of al-Rass. Allah (swt) destroyed that whole village because of their arrogance in rejecting His teachings and the heinous crime in killing His Prophet.

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation

JazaakumuLlahu khayran

Here's what i found about the companions of al-Rass

Ibnu Abbas, said that the companions of the Rass (Ashab ar-Rass) were people who stayed in one of the villages that was part of the Thamud civilization. Some history books narrated that a prophet named Hanzalah ibn Safwan was appointed amongst them and he called them to Islam. They killed him and threw his dead body in a well called al-Rass. That was the origin of them being called companions of al-Rass. Allah (swt) destroyed that whole village because of their arrogance in rejecting His teachings and the heinous crime in killing His Prophet.

Assalamualaikum

whos is this "prophet named Hanzalah ibn Safwan" ????

Ive never heard of him.

Walaikumasalam

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
Assalamualaikum

Ive never heard of him.

Walaikumasalam

Jaza kallahu khair for raising this question brother ahmed_indian

Brother Ali I havent heard of him too but i am sure there are hundreds of thousands of prophets we dont know about....Allah knows best :)

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
Assalamualaikum

Ive never heard of him.

Walaikumasalam

Wa alaikumu salam wa rahmatullah

here's what i found wa Allahu a'lam

Prophets had arisen in Arabia before Muhammed (Saws). In Yemen, Samaifa had imitated the exploits of old Zamolaxis. He had hidden himself for a long time and then 'miraculously' reappeared, when a hundred thousand men prostrated themselves before their risen lord! Shortly before Muhammed (saws), Khalid, the son of Sinan, had been sent to preach to the tribe of Abs, and Hanzalah, son of Safwan, to some other Arab tribes.

Abu_Luqmann

Wa alaikumu salam wa rahmatullah

Shortly before Muhammed (saws), Khalid, the son of Sinan, had been sent to preach to the tribe of Abs, and Hanzalah, son of Safwan, to some other Arab tribes.

Assalamualaikum,

Can you provide daleel for this
I was under the impression that the four prophets sent to the arabs were Shuaib, Salih, Hud and Mohammed (peace be on them all)

salam

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
Assalamualaikum,

Can you provide daleel for this
I was under the impression that the four prophets sent to the arabs were Shuaib, Salih, Hud and Mohammed (peace be on them all)

salam

Wa alaykumu salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

You're right. Only 4 prophets were sent to the arabs.
http://www.mujahideenryder.net/2008/10/07/only-4-arab-prophets-in-islam/

Then why does this site talk about Hanzalah?
http://interxs.com.my/Books/Books.n...7429b8f8bb67961d88256e290068ebb7?OpenDocument

Allahu a'lam
If i did quote wrong information im sorry
kheyr inshaAllah : )

there is a lot of wrong information on the net. sites pose as islamic but intend to introduce bidah in the religion. this is how christianity were led astray.

as muslims we only believe in the prophets mentioned by name, in the Quran. all others who are not mentioned, we cannot be 100% sure whether they were prophets or not. as such we shud refrain from calling them as prophets.

the Quran says Allah sent a messenger to every nation but not every messenger is called by name in the Quran. only the middle east and arabian peninsula prophets are mentioned by name because the middle east is the birth place of civilization and the oldest cities in the history of mankind. a lot of untold stories have passed thru this part of the world.

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
there is a lot of wrong information on the net. sites pose as islamic but intend to introduce bidah in the religion. this is how christianity were led astray.

as muslims we only believe in the prophets mentioned by name, in the Quran. all others who are not mentioned, we cannot be 100% sure whether they were prophets or not. as such we shud refrain from calling them as prophets.

the Quran says Allah sent a messenger to every nation but not every messenger is called by name in the Quran. only the middle east and arabian peninsula prophets are mentioned by name because the middle east is the birth place of civilization and the oldest cities in the history of mankind. a lot of untold stories have passed thru this part of the world.

Assalamu alaykum

Yes Allahu a'lam those i quoted maybe existed or maybe didn't. Allah knows best.
JazaakaLlahu khayran

bdot

Listen to "The Never Ending Story" lecture series by Shaykh Shady Sulayman. It can be found on Islamictube.net. I believe it is based off of one of the books of tafsir by ibn Kathir. Hanzalah is also mentioned briefly in one of the lectures (I don't know which one though). Also, check out Shaykh Anwar Al Awlaki's lecture series on "The Lives of the Prophet's" at the following web site . . .

http://islambase.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=536&Itemid=181

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation

Salamz brother, yes I double that.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
jazaak Allah khair everybody for explaining things; 'diplomaticmuslim' and 'muslimahmtl' particularly.

yes, i agree that we should not focus too much on knowledge which have weak sources.

one more question came into my mind, frm where did Imam Ibn Kathir (ra)collected all that information? He must have studied a lot. may Allah have mercy on his soul. Ameen

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
Listen to "The Never Ending Story" lecture series by Shaykh Shady Sulayman. It can be found on Islamictube.net. I believe it is based off of one of the books of tafsir by ibn Kathir. Hanzalah is also mentioned briefly in one of the lectures (I don't know which one though). Also, check out Shaykh Anwar Al Awlaki's lecture series on "The Lives of the Prophet's" at the following web site . . .

http://islambase.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=536&Itemid=181

wa alaykumu salaam wa rahmatuLlah

JazaakaLlahu khayral jaza'

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
jazaak Allah khair everybody for explaining things; 'diplomaticmuslim' and 'muslimahmtl' particularly.

yes, i agree that we should not focus too much on knowledge which have weak sources.

one more question came into my mind, frm where did Imam Ibn Kathir (ra)collected all that information? He must have studied a lot. may Allah have mercy on his soul. Ameen

Ameen to your du'as.
Wa iyyaka. : )
Ibn kathir was Ibn taymiyya's student.