Why do some ppl follow Qur'an and Sunnah and reject Hadith?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

To Brother BH..that is the thing about faith...we can not have any doubts or else it is not faith. You must seek knowledge until all doubts vanish.

Hadith makes sense..and make practice of the faith simpler. They give us direction and make us appreciate our faith.

bari

:salam2:
Anyone who rejects sunnah is doing act of kufr. Please read the book of tauheed by Bilal Phillips..

B.H.

Anyone who rejects sunnah is doing act of kufr. Please read the book of tauheed by Bilal Phillips..

Are you talking about Fundamentals of Tauheed by the same author?

It is available as a pdf online. What chapter has to do with hadith?

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Is it this?:

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hadeeth/sh_ish/index.htm

If so I will read it.

I guess I am "Quran alone" but do not have a revisionist agenda so many of the others do. I have only been Muslim for 5 years so what do I know?

It's best to be humble and consider what you have to say.

And like I said I am not telling others they have to reject hadith.

Yes, but get a sheikh to guide.

I'm sorry to ask you this question brother, what you did in this 5 years? If you were reading Qur'an alone there are many verses telling you to follow the Prophet. So how do we follow the Prophet if not through His hadith?

Pls accept my apology request if I wronged you.

kabuuza

asallam aleikum.
Dear brothers and sisters. on the last hijjah performed by the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) he emphasized that whoever holdfast onto the quran and sunnah, he will never get off the track(the road to jannah).
meaning the sunnah has to be believed in and followed but for those who have doubts about ahaadeeth; may on some hadith which we call weak and fabricated, and i also agree with you on these types of ahaadeeth which a weak and fabricated. the book titled science of hadith will give you a great picture on how to differentiate btn these ahaadeeth.
As the prophet was the walking Quran; that means whatever hadith is not in harmony with the quran might raise a % of doubt. Allah gave us the faculty of reasoning after analysing plse let us use it well, truth and lies never meet.
may Allah guide us all. asalamm aleikum

B.H.

Yes, but get a sheikh to guide.

I'm sorry to ask you this question brother, what you did in this 5 years? If you were reading Qur'an alone there are many verses telling you to follow the Prophet. So how do we follow the Prophet if not through His hadith?

Pls accept my apology request if I wronged you.

You follow the prophet by following his example of faithfulness presented in the Holy Quran and listening to the messages Allah gave him.

Also, you did not wrong me in any way.

B.H.

As'alaamu Alaikkum B.H.

I know there are instances as you have just pointed out where people could not remember certain things but doesn't that make it more authentic? I mean forgetfulness is an endearing human characteristic, and it tells me that these were not made up.

If they cannot remember completely then they may mislead unintentianally.

Kakorot

Why do some ppl follow Qur'an and Sunnah and reject Hadith?

But if they reject hadith, then how do they follow the sunnah? :/

I

IslamIsSimple

Just wanted to point out that the above is incorrect, even according to the ulama. The transmission of quran was (and is) different to the transmission of hadith. The proof of this is the fact that according to all Muslims, each verse of the quran has been mass transmitted. Not only that, the memorisation of the quran was institutionalised with people throughout society partaking. This is not how hadith was transmitted.

The ulama made the distinction between "recited revelation" and "unrecited revelation" largely because the quran and the hadith did not reach us via the same means. So the argument that they both came to us via the same people is irrelevant. Rejecting hadith does not logically require rejection of quran as well, as you suggest.

I agree with your premise, but disagree with the conclusion. Yes, the Qur'aan has the highest level of authenticity that is unparalleled, but we know that through fixed specific standards that we apply to Hadeeth as well. Two texts can be Mutawatir (mass transmission of known people), but have different levels of this mass transmission (tawator). (Of course we have the copy of Uthmaan raa as well)

In a Sunni Shia debate on TV, the Sunni sheikh (whos majored in Hadeeth) asked the Shia to give any chain of transmittors they have for the Qur'aan. They have none. He said we accept the one we have today because its Mutawatir (mass transmission), and therefore, the status of the transmittors (trustworthy or not), doesnt matter, even if they are kafir/not Muslim.

Let alone the fact that the hadeeths in their books are baseless, with chains full of unknown people, and even one narrating from a donkey called Ufair, the prophet peace be upon him owned........ The Sunni sheikh gave it (accepting mutawator from non Muslims for a text like the Qur'aan) as an example of their lack of care for authenticity, since they accept something Mutawatir from non Muslims.

This is why we always say that them when they consider the closest of companions and the prophets wife peace be upon them, kafir, and even worse, they are the worst of hypocrites and on the same level of Satan/Iblees... this in fact, is an attack on Sunnah, so that they can pick and choose whatever is convenient, to justify any position they have, thus in the end, taking the authority from Qur'aan and Sunnah (the latter being important to understand Qur'aan), and give it to their sheikhs, who in turn turned it into a business, took khums money from people, and made billions out of shrines their followers worship.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

This is my first post in a while, so my salaams to you all.

As per the issue, then may Allaah reward you all with good for your responses and love for the Messenger's sunnah. May He, the most High, increase us in good and make us from those who implement the sunnah. For those of you new and/or confused on this matter, I pray that what I've written below assists you.

Brother IbnAdam has written a nice response to those who reject the Prophet's (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) sunnah. I wanted to add a few verses of the Qur'an to IbnAdam's and others replies to this thread.

Allaah says,

Say, [O Muhammad], "If you should love Allah , then follow me, [so] Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." Say, "Obey Allah and the Messenger." But if they turn away - then indeed, Allah does not like the disbelievers.
[Sûrah Âl `Imrân 3:31-32]

Here, we are explicitly being told that the pleasure of Allaah is earned and our sins forgiven through our following of the Prophet. He says also,

And obey Allah and the Messenger that you may obtain mercy.
[Sûrah Âl `Imrân 3:132]

In this verse, Allaah has ascribed the obtaining of mercy to following Him and His messenger.
Follow, [O mankind], what has been revealed to you from your Lord and do not follow other than Him any allies. Little do you remember.
[Sûrah Al-A`râf 7:3]​

Ibn Kathîr and others stated in their tafseers that this means to follow what has been sent down to the Messenger (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) and to not follow other than that.

And We have not revealed to you the Book, [O Muhammad], except for you to make clear to them that wherein they have differed and as guidance and mercy for a people who believe.
[Sûrah An-Nahl 16:64]

Pay attention to Allaah's words to Muhammad, regarding the revealing of His book, "except for you to make clear".

Say, "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger; but if you turn away - then upon him is only that [duty] with which he has been charged, and upon you is that with which you have been charged. And if you obey him, you will be [rightly] guided. And there is not upon the Messenger except the [responsibility for] clear notification."
[Sûrah An-Nûr 24:54]

Here, Allaah has promised right guidance who follow His Rasool (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam).

So let those beware who dissent from the Prophet's order, lest fitnah strike them or a painful punishment.
[Sûrah An-Nûr 24:63]

Imaam Ahmad and others have stated that this fitnah (tribulation) is none other than Shirk and/or Kufr.

From the above verses, we are commanded with the following of the Prophet (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam), and we are told that by doing so, we obtain Allaah's love, His mercy, are forgiven our sins and that we are rightly guided. We are also told that by not doing so we will be afflicted by a punishment and a trial, and that the Qur'an wasn't sent except for the Messenger to make things clear wherein the people differed.

In converse, we can logically say/argue that those who don't follow his Prophet (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) have earned Allaah's hate/displeasure, miss this opportunity of forgiveness, are despaired from His mercy, are wrongly guided and will suffer a severe trial and punishment. What a wretched state. Why someone would want to be in such a state beats me.

So how does one follow the Messenger (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) except by his sunnah? What other source is there to follow? The Qur'aan is the speech of Allaah, not His prophet so that rules that out. Other than the Qur'aan, what is there? The tales/stories of elders? The words of orientalists? Or the sunnah which came down and has been preserved by the most stringent and rigid of methodologies to preserve it from corruption?

What these Qur'aanists don't realise, and this shows the level of their meagre knowledge and understanding; their lack of understanding the Book which they claim to follow exclusively, is that by following the Qur'aan, this necessitates following also, the plethora of verses related to obeying and following the Messenger, and to take to him in matters of different and dispute!!!?

I wonder how these people achieve fulfilment of these Qur'anic commandments if they reject the hadeeth and sunnah. They are left with nothing except the works of liars such as the scholars of the non-believers, shi`a and tale carriers. If such materials suffice these people then to them be their religion, and us ours: Islam.

I close with a hadeeth of the prophet which is Saheeh and reported by Ibn Maajah and Aboo Daawood. Everytime I have relayed this to a Qur'aani, it has left them in dumbstruck in defeat and silence, as they themselves were reclining on their chairs at the time...

"Let me not find one of you reclining upon his couch when an affair which I have commanded or forbidden comes to him and he says: 'We do not know. We will just follow what we find in the Book of Allaah'."

Was-salaam

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

I had a question springing often in my mind. How were Hadiths revealed to Muhammad (SAW)?. Is each and every Hadith (established authentic) from Prophet (SAW) divinely inspired?.

I recall a verse from Quran where Allah (SWT) says (meaning) that Our servant doesn't says anything of His own,does this apply to Hadiths also?.

Regards.

Ershad

Walaikkum Assalam wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Indeed.

Hadith is a body of Authentic literature that comprises the sayings, teachings, behaviour etc. of the last and final Messenger to Mankind Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Allah, the Almighty said "And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it and whatsover he forbids you, abstain (from it)". (al-Hashr 59:7)

The Qur'an has commanded us to follow the Messenger, Sa'llallahu Alayi wasallam.

"If you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance. The Messenger's duty is only to convey the message in a clear way." (al-Noor 24:54)

The Exalted says : "He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allah." (An-Nisa 4:80).

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

That is profound. The Messenger, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, was the vessel of knowledge. He did not ever let his ego interfere with the Gifts of Allah.

We are given every avenue to accept faith. The Quran is the simplest text in the world and it is the deepest book in the Universe.

Hadiths help simpletons like me. That is the manual for dummies. How do you do this given that. Simple simple things..what to say when you enter the masjid. How to purify yourself. The foods that are good to eat. How blessings multiply. They also portray the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, in a very human manner. He was a man that ate, he got tired, he tried to rest, he worked hard, he enjoyed his wives. People got on his nerve. He loved to laugh.

It is good to have facts about the hadiths. However, for simpletons like me, once we know that they are authenticated by the rigorous methods, someone did all the hard work for me, use the message of the lesson to bring yourself closer to Allah subhana wa taala.

And for dummies like me..the hadiths are ways to follow Sunnah.

Love cannot be measured. Love can not be stratified. It is in acceptance of the Divine Will that the Path gets wider and the universe opens.

The biggest argument I have had with a Quranist was simple. The sister told me she had the brains to interpret the Quran. She did not need anyone else to help guide her. I told her I read how the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, was asked to make dua for rain. He did. Allah subhana wa taala gave us rain..so much that the people asked if dua could be made to stop the rain....I made dua for snow...we got a blizzard. This is a true story.

sachin4islam

Assalaam walaikum,

That is profound. The Messenger, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, was the vessel of knowledge. He did not ever let his ego interfere with the Gifts of Allah.

We are given every avenue to accept faith. The Quran is the simplest text in the world and it is the deepest book in the Universe.

Hadiths help simpletons like me. That is the manual for dummies. How do you do this given that. Simple simple things..what to say when you enter the masjid. How to purify yourself. The foods that are good to eat. How blessings multiply. They also portray the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, in a very human manner. He was a man that ate, he got tired, he tried to rest, he worked hard, he enjoyed his wives. People got on his nerve. He loved to laugh.

It is good to have facts about the hadiths. However, for simpletons like me, once we know that they are authenticated by the rigorous methods, someone did all the hard work for me, use the message of the lesson to bring yourself closer to Allah subhana wa taala.

And for dummies like me..the hadiths are ways to follow Sunnah.

Love cannot be measured. Love can not be stratified. It is in acceptance of the Divine Will that the Path gets wider and the universe opens.

The biggest argument I have had with a Quranist was simple. The sister told me she had the brains to interpret the Quran. She did not need anyone else to help guide her. I told her I read how the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, was asked to make dua for rain. He did. Allah subhana wa taala gave us rain..so much that the people asked if dua could be made to stop the rain....I made dua for snow...we got a blizzard. This is a true story.

Walikum Assalam: Dear Aapa.

Subhan-Allah. Great words,specially highlighted.

Regards.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

A logical question to Pro-Quranists,why was Quran revealed to Muhammad (SAW) in piece meal stretching over a period of 23 years.?

Regards.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

To Brother Qwel...welcome to the forum.

Nay..you did not read my wordy post....why are you making a split in the rail when there is none..

You know what I love marriage. I think it is the most powerful and wonderful institution in the world...the coming together of two aliens..and it works..

Why am I bringing this up, your logical and rational mind asks...

The supplement, hadidth, helps us to understand and practice our deen. It does not cause division. Just as in marriage, it protects the individual.

And from another angle...each reading of the Quran is a totally different experience...hadith is a dictionary..when we do not understand the meaning of a word..I don't know about you..but I do not know all the meanings of the words...and when it comes to the Quran...hey..that is what I want to take with me to the afterlife (eternity and beyond). I am going to get ALL the help I can.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You are most welcome...

Yes, the Quran is clear..but it is profound. For the likes of simple practitioners of the faith some of us need help.

Each ayat is a lifetime. Reading the Quran takes us out of the ordinary realm of existence.

Hadith..is the manual of instruction. It is not an argument. The hadiths give us living examples of how to function. Dumb things for people like me: how to brush your teeth. Yes, that level of simplicity. Functionalism. Is there such a word? Instead of relying on our limited capacities and falling into error we can follow the middle path.

I heard a sheik say he would not comment on a hadith until he had complete understanding of it..imagine how this pious man feels about the Holy Words. Now..that is some deep thinking.

May Allah reward you for seeking knoweldge.

Muhammed303

Waalaykum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Generally some muslims have been indoctrinated into a Qu'ran only way of thinking. This stems from the belief that hadith are corrupt or fabricated. We don't disagree that some hadith are unauthentic but chains of hadith from different narrators and books have generally been ranked as authentic by scholars of the highest eminence and status.
Without the hadith, there would be no explanation on how to do Salah or on the signs of the last hour, or the Sunnah of the Prophet Sallalhu Alayhi wa salam which is fundamental to following the deen of al-Islam correctly.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Okay. Why are we always the one who responds to the questions? Are we the guilty ones? Let me ask some questions to Quranists.. Let them respond.

1. Most quranists says Prostitution is allowed because there is no verse prohibiting that. What?

2. Most quranists men wear gold and silk saying there is no verse prohibiting that. What?

3. Most quranists make takfeer on so-called "Hadithers" (thats us, especially if you have a beard :D). What?

4. And also, most quranists say, "In my opinion, this verse says so and so, that is why this is allowed" and derive their rulings. What?

5. Some quranist justify *!*!*!*!ography because Qur'an doesn't explicitly state that. Lowering your gaze is not enough proof for them.

If you see, it is not much different from what the christians do with different versions of bible.

Now, I am not questioning what the Qur'anist believe. But, this is their lifestyle. They just want to justify whatever things they are doing. They hate hadith and Sunnah because it prohibits the things that they love to do. The Qur'anists mostly focus on fiqh issues like haram and halal rather than worshipping Allah. They want to justify and make halal whatever is haram according to us. Some quranists twist the verses and console themselves that they don't have to pay zakat because they are poor (according to them).

I get the idea of a quranist. They are not here to worship and love Allah. They just want to justify whatever they do to fulfil their desires.

And Allah knows the best.

If I hurt any quranist feelings, I am not sorry.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Why diverse opinions..there should be very limited opinions

So a Quranist is one that is not a Sunni?

Dumb question: do you guys have an imam?

Brother, so women do not cover? But, you only read the Quran with any aids? There is no sense of community?

What about Fiqh? Where do you collect that?

The Quranist: if each person reads the book and each person has their own opinion how do you guys agree to what is the correct interpretation.