Why don't Men cover?

iraqishealing

Waiting for that day
Salam Alaykum Brothers and Sisters,

the other day I was talking with this athiest, and we somehow started talking bout girls covering, and he said to me, why don't men cover then? thats just sexist. Aren't they attractive too?

So I honestly didn't know how to reply. It got me wondering! Why don't men cover also? I know they have to cover from the nasal to the knee, but a man shirtless is kinda attractive!

I would really appreciate if you guys could help me on this, so next time a person argues with me, i know how to answer :D also for my own benefit :)

Thanks!
Salam Alaykum,
Nevin.

mhamzah

:salam2:

Hijab for men

People usually only discuss ‘hijab’ in the context of women only. However, in the Glorious Qur’an, Allah (swt) first mentions ‘hijab’ for men before ‘hijab’ for the women. The Qur’an mentions in Surah Al Noor: “Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.” [Al-Qur’an 24:30]

Hijab for women.

The next verse of Surah Noor, says: “ And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye believers! Turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.” [Al-Qur’an 24:31]

Six criteria for Hijab.

According to Qur’an and Sunnah there are basically six criteria for observing hijab:

i. Extent

The first criterion is the extent of the body that should be covered. This is different for men and women. The extent of covering obligatory on the male is to cover the body at least from the navel to the knees. For women, the obligatory level of covering is to cover the whole body except the face and the hands upto the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even these parts of the body.

It is through Allah's Wisdom that He distinguishes between man and woman in the process of creation. Woman, on the one hand, is created in a way that best suits her natural inclinations. The requirements that Allah asks of her give her full security and protect her against awkward and uncertain situations.

The differences between man and woman are more obvious in the physical appearance. A woman’s body, voice, hair and other feminine characteristics are evident and present to attract her husband.

That is why Allah Almighty has ordered woman not to uncover the natural beauty and attractiveness, that He Almighty granted her, before anyone except her husband.

A husband is allowed to look at any part of his wife’s body. According to Islam, this is not the case for the woman's male-Mahrams (relatives who are not allowed to marry her), for example her father, brother, etc., who are allowed to look at specific parts of the woman's body such as her hair and hands.

However, when it comes to non-Mahram men, the matter is completely different, because the exposure of the woman's body before non-Mahram men leads to immorality and temptation.

Man, on the other hand, is created by Allah in a way which is different from that of the woman. In his capacity as the breadwinner of the family, man is supposed to strive hard to cater for his family's needs.

With regard to women covering their faces, it is not obligatory, but it is recommended. Some women do cover their faces for the purpose of attaining Allah's greater reward. However, if a woman finds it difficult to cover her face, she is obliged to conform to the Islamic code of dress, which requires covering her entire body save her face and hands."

Finally, we can say that there is wisdom in Allah’s commands, and if we see the wisdom behind certain rulings, it is easier to accept them. We can look at the advantages of adorning a headscarf and trust that Allah, the Omniscient, knows what is better for us. We can wait for the reward for doing so, only if our intention is to obey Him, because when there is difficulty in doing something, the reward is given in proportion to the difficulty. And that reward is more worthwhile than having a breeze on our necks.

All the remaining five criteria are the same for men and women

ii. Should not reveal figure.

The second criterion is that the clothes they wear should be loose and should not reveal the figure.

iii. Should not be transparent.

The third criterion is that the clothes they wear should not be transparent such that one can see through them.

iv. Not attract opposite sex.

The clothes they wear should be not be so glamorous as to attract the opposite sex.

v. Should not resemble the clothes of the opposite sex.

The fifth criterion is that the clothes they wear should not resemble that of the opposite sex.

vi. Should not resemble the clothes of the unbelievers.

The clothes they wear should not resemble that of the unbelievers i.e. they should not wear clothes that are specifically identities or symbols of the unbelievers’ religions.

Hijab includes conduct and behaviour among other things

Complete ‘hijab’, besides the six criteria of clothing, also includes the moral conduct, behaviour, attitude and intention of the individual. A person only fulfilling the criteria of ‘hijab’ of the clothes is observing ‘hijab’ in a limited sense. ‘Hijab’ of the clothes should be accompanied by ‘hijab’ of the eyes, ‘hijab’ of the heart, ‘hijab’ of thought and ‘hijab’ of intention. It also includes the way a person walks, the way a person talks, the way he behaves etc.

Hijab prevents molestation

The reason why Hijab is prescribed for women is mentioned in the Qur’an in the following verse of Surah Al-Ahzab: “O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad); that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Al-Qur’an 33:59]

The Qur’an says that Hijab has been prescribed for the women so that they are recognized as modest women and this will also prevent them from being molested.

:wasalam:

iraqishealing

Waiting for that day
thank you brother :) but im still not sure in what way im gonna say that to an athiest, because i dont think he would understand like we do.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Asalaamualaykum,

Let me see if i can simplify this...

Men like to look......... women, not so much........therefore its a lot harder for a man to lower their gaze than women... its the way we are made (call it physiological, psychological or whatever, Allah made us differently....even the woman's thought process is vastly different than men's), tell the mushrik to ask the scientist they value so much about this fact, its proven.

Men value beauty, women prefer prefer status and the like. Again its the way Allah made us.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Well think of it this way..

You said (not quoting word for word here): *a shirtless guy can be a sight attractive*

Well...

How many women will *ACT* upon that attraction?!

While imagine a young woman wearing a revealing outfit and walking amongst men..

If she won't get harassed *physically*..then I'm sure she'll *hear* a whistle or two..or *notice* a wink or two..and that will be *the least* of reactions!

Hijab encompasses the *nature* of males and females *simultaneously*..

Males are naturally attracted to beauty (no offense here brothers) more than women..and they are very much more likely to *act* upon that attraction..where a woman will be less likely to do so..even if she lacks *haya'a* her *pride* might keep her from doing so..along with that..

It also..simply..*eliminates* a *hassle* out of the woman's way..if she is wearing appropriate hijab..walking and minding her business..yet a man harrasses her STILL..then it will be apparent that this man acted that way due to an ILL within HIMSELF..and thus the woman he harrassed will have a right *over him* and she can demand *suitable discipline* for his actions with *full confidence* that she's not being *unjust*..

In addition..a woman leans towards *beautifying herself*..it is natural for her to seek looking the best amongst the people she knows and so on (even if it is only women)..while a man..though might be into looking neat and clean..does not really care if his hair has split ends..if his nails are manicured..or his lips are chapped..as long as he's clean and tidy..then all is good..so you see for a woman to wear hijab..is to help her *tone down* that *want*..she will keep it under control and reduce its priority in her life..and thus focus on the more important and critical things in it..such as educating herself..increasing her intellect..worship more..learn new skills..etc.

I tried to keep the reasons simple..because like you said..this person is an Atheist..so he would probably want to hear things from a non-spiritual perspective..and inshallah this will help

iraqishealing

Waiting for that day
thank you so much brothers and sisters :) to stiks, thats what i told him! and he said to me that the girls run after him caus of his muscles! haha so i didnt kno what to say! i told him that if it was in islam, the girls wouldnt of run to him in the first place! but once again, he wouldnt get it lol and then he'll say to me, gosh! its just the human body, why make a big deal out of it! once again.. another topic to discuss bout. Those athiests are very hard to satisfy lol

Kakorot

lol

Say if there was a man and he was to see a woman's leg, he would get attracted and maybe even bad thoughts would enter his mind. Whereas, if a woman was to see a man's leg, then she won't get attracted and bad thought may not enter her mind.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Atheist first of all need to know there is God. Since an atheist does not believe in God then I think it is time wasting talking about hijab. But we need to give credit to you for your effort in doing daawah to an atheist mashAllah. If I met an atheist I will insist to talk about Tawheed first...

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Atheist first of all need to know there is God. Since an atheist does not believe in God then I think it is time wasting talking about hijab. But we need to give credit to you for your effort in doing daawah to an atheist mashAllah. If I met an atheist I will insist to talk about Tawheed first...

:salam2:

Good advice mashaallah, always steer the discussion towards tawheed, because this is the major obstacle,( hijabs and 'why this why that' are all excuses to dismiss the call to tawheed).

safiya58

:salam2: Nevin,

if you take a look at the newspapers and magazins and also in tv you see much more naked or nearly naked women than men and why is that? why always pretty women were to seen on commercials.... why there are so many female singers who are not very talented become famous and not men?

women are created much more beutiful than men... it is like that.... in animal world it is opposite, there are the female animals who are build more strong by nature and male animal are created more beutiful... and bec it is the women who look much more attractive they have to cover theirselfe to be observed by their charackter not by their shabe and beauty...

to those who say that hijab is oppressing women... why there are only pretty faces on the cover of magazins... why only women with a top slight figure why never women with normal physique and averege look... to me this is discriminatory and nothing but reducing the worth of women to a low state

jundulah

ALLAH bless hard rock muslim,we need to call to people to the oneness of ALLAAH (SWT)
And other things will fall into place,insha'ALLAAH.DA'AWAH should start with tauhiid.