Why is a woman's testimony equal to only half that of a man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie29

Regardless of education or intellect? . I stress I am not intending to criticise Islam, I am just interested in hearing others views as to the reason for this.

Salam
S

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The link was informative. My two cents: we have so much responsibility. Little daily stuff that makes me walk around parking lots looking for my car. All that the Prophet gave us was good. Part of faith is acceptance. We can not compare it to other ideologies as they are ideologies and this is the wisdom from Allah subhana talla.

Sophie29

Salam

I was merely seeking to understand the reasons....as reaons there surely is....and others feelings about them. I wasn't seeking to undermine the validity of this rule.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salam

I was merely seeking to understand the reasons....as reaons there surely is....and others feelings about them. I wasn't seeking to undermine the validity of this rule.

Wa`alaykum salaam.

No problem there sister, I don't think Mirajmom was suggessting that, I think she was only commenting in light of the the fact that people use this sensitive topic to alienate Islaam and Muslims.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum.

I read the article above. There are some good scientific articles backing up the comments which is good.

Just a side question: If say a sincere, practicing woman witnesses a murder, and she claims to have seen it, would that be enough evidence?

summertime

sister :)
theres a book by jeffery lang called struggling to surrender...in this book there is a section called 2 A womans witness"

i suggest u read that..it's quite insightful!

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salam alaikum.

I read the article above. There are some good scientific articles backing up the comments which is good.

Just a side question: If say a sincere, practicing woman witnesses a murder, and she claims to have seen it, would that be enough evidence?

As-salaamu `alaykum.

First, you have to ask yourself how murder is dealth with in Islaam? What is proof to establish and know that the crime had been committed. Such an act has a prescribed punishment remember. So the saying of someone isn't sufficient (as you know).

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

In no way did I think you were attempting anything but comprehension. Sometimes, I think comprehension is similar to brewing tea. It takes a little time for the tea to infuse with the water until there is nothing but tea. ( In my case it took years!).

Sophie29

Yes without analysis the concept of a man's word being equal to that of two women appears illogical. But I accept the emotional system of women is usualy more active than in most men...which could sometimes cloud judgment...sometimes.

Salam
S

muharram23

Staff member
Yes without analysis the concept of a man's word being equal to that of two women appears illogical. But I accept the emotional system of women is usualy more active than in most men...which could sometimes cloud judgment...sometimes.

Salam
S

Salamu alaykum

Then u mean the quran and the sunnah is illogical just because it doesnt make sense to you. Some things we do not understand and we have to believe in it. Can you tell me why we pray 2 rakah for fajr, 4 for zuhr, 4 for asr, 3 for maghrib, and 4 for isha? Im sure u never asked urself about this but u kept praying. Im sure u will say "well, that is what our prophet tought us". The same way goes with everything else. There are things in the quran that are clear and then there are those that are "muteshabihat' unclear. We explain them the way resulullah :saw2: and the sahaba did and not any other way. As far as the reason why a man's testimony is of 2 women than that has been already been dealt with by the scholars. No where in the sunnah has a woman been called stupid etc. because of the ajjat mentioning their testimony. Allah sva created a man and gave him the qualities and characteristics he wanted and He created a woman and gave her, her characteristics. Even if a woman was called stupid in quran or sunnah, then we should accepted it. But alhamdulillah she wasnt, infact with islaam, the women was raised to the highest level of respect and love. While other women in other religions were being questioned if they were human or shaytan, if the had a sould or not, they were used as sexual object, islaam elevated the woman above all that. Anyways, this religion is the truth and if we believe it is true, than we need to accept it fully and stop complaining.

Allah knows best
wasalam

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I'd urge all brothers & sisters to calm down ... there is nothing wrong in questioning Islamic teachings with the right intention ... Sophie has only been very polite and open minded.

Dear Sophie, in response to your question ... I've got only a couple of words to add ...

Testimony in court ... is it a privilige or a duty ?? ... it is a duty of course ! ... why fighting over it ?

Besides it is not true that woman's testimony worth half that of man ... it depends on the circumstances. If a man accuses his wife of adultery and she testifies that she is innocent then the Islamic court will take her word and annul the marriage. In this particular instance the woman's testimony is stronger than that of the man (since she was not punished).

There are multiple other situations where the woman's testimony is more than enough on it's own (e.g. in matters of child nursing) ... these are no small matters in Islam. The ruling on her testimony in financial matters pertains to the fact that women in Islam have their needs guaranteed so they are less likely to be involved in finances. I wonder how many people would accept such a deal ?

I appreciate that coming from a Western liberal mind set this rule is very difficult to understand. However, the reality is that all these are pretty small matters in the overall picture. Most people will spend a whole life without needing to go to court for testifying at all. Islam multiplies women's biggest assets in society (e.g. being a mother) and does indeed cut few corners for them here in there in matters that will affect very small proportions of women. It is not a bad deal by any standards.

ooopse ... that a bit more than two words !

muharram23

Staff member
I'd urge all brothers & sisters to calm down ... there is nothing wrong in questioning Islamic teachings with the right intention ... Sophie has only been very polite and open minded.

Dear Sophie, in response to your question ... I've got only a couple of words to add ...

Testimony in court ... is it a privilige or a duty ?? ... it is a duty of course ! ... why fighting over it ?

Besides it is not true that woman's testimony worth half that of man ... it depends on the circumstances. If a man accuses his wife of adultery and she testifies that she is innocent then the Islamic court will take her word and annul the marriage. In this particular instance the woman's testimony is stronger than that of the man (since she was not punished).

There are multiple other situations where the woman's testimony is more than enough on it's own (e.g. in matters of child nursing) ... these are no small matters in Islam. The ruling on her testimony in financial matters pertains to the fact that women in Islam have their needs guaranteed so they are less likely to be involved in finances. I wonder how many people would accept such a deal ?

I appreciate that coming from a Western liberal mind set this rule is very difficult to understand. However, the reality is that all these are pretty small matters in the overall picture. Most people will spend a whole life without needing to go to court for testifying at all. Islam multiplies women's biggest assets in society (e.g. being a mother) and does indeed cut few corners for them here in there in matters that will affect very small proportions of women. It is not a bad deal by any standards.

ooopse ... that a bit more than two words !

Salamu alaykum

everyone is calm, but jazakallahu khair for advice.

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.