Why should I Turn to Islam?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Slave is a relative term, slave to me means no freedom, I want to believe because I want to. I still like my work, my friends, my music. It's what makes me, me. Everyone from time to time becomes unhappy with life. I'm pursuing a path of exploration. I want to see the liknesses and differences between religions. Believe me, to date this is the deepest i've ever explored Islam. If you knew me you'd know that this is a huge step for me.

A Slave to Allah, someone bound by his or her love to him and thus wishes to obey Allah to best of their ability.. There is nothing wrong with that.

This doesnt restrict freedom.

Islam is religion of ease. What you think is difficult, is due to not having Iman (faith). Many Non-Muslim people have asked me How I can fast for 30 days in Ramadan, or how I can get up in morning at 5am to pray. They will not understand the ease of it and the beauty of it, unless they too have experienced Islam, understand Islam and live Islam. Thats not to say I can not give them a brief explanation, but you cant realise why people do it as it pertains to Iman, belief. These actions, which some might see as a Chore, are the complete opposite. They are something we enjoy and which make us feel closer to Allah, the most High. They are actions of love and obediance to our Lord, Allah. So, yes we are his Slaves in that we worship him alone and strive our best to do as he has commanded us, inshaAllah.

A person builds up their faith, firsty by being a Muslim ( Professing the Shahada, to testify there is no deity worthy of Worship except Allah and Muhammad:saw: is his Messeger) learning about Allah and his Prophet:saw:, learning about Islam, worshipping Allah by doing the 5 obligatory prayers, fasting in Ramadan etc. Some people can do more than others. It can change as well. This is due to Iman, level of Faith which can change, as the Prophet:saw: said, al Imanu Yazidu wa Yankuz, the Iman increases and it decreases.

So, some people think that being Muslim is hardwork, or that it demands a lot. But, this is due to their inexperience of what Islam is. Its a gradual process and one that is easy. Nothing is forced and if it is forced by someone, then it is not accepted by our Lord. All our actions are judged by their intentions. So, my writing on this forum and even for Muslims to help one another is judged by their intentions which only Allah the most high knows. Perhaps someone does to show off, or make a name for himself etc, these are not good intentions and a person is sinful to do for that. Rather we do it out of our Love, fear and hope of Allah the most high and to help our fellow people, Muslim and non-Muslim understand Islam better and thus have better and happier life.

So, you try your best and Allah blesses you with it... as he blesses you with all the other gifts that you have. For he is Al-Wahab, the Bestower, and he bestows us with many things, many that we take for granted.

Here are some Ayah from the Qur'an and Hadith of the Prophet:saw: which mention Easiness and moderation of Islam. For Islam is always moderate. Extremists are simply people going against the original teachings of Islam.

Allah, most high stated in the Quran:

"Allah intends for you ease, and does not want to make things difficult for you" [2:185];

"Allah does not want to place you in difficulty" [5:6].

Such easiness is well explained in the hadeeth reported by Abu Hurairah, radiya Allahu 'anhu, that the Prophet, salla Allaahu 'alaihe wasallam, said, "Religion is easy..." [Bukhari], he also said; "The best of your religion, is the easiest." [Ahmad]

The easiness of this religion was put into practise by the best of humanity, the one who came to deliver the message, as Allah, subhanahu wata'aala, said;

"Verily there has come unto you a Messenger from amongst yourselves, it grieves him that you should suffer any difficulty, he is anxious for you, for the believers he is full of pity and merciful" [10:128]

Therefore a middle way is always taken. Patience is one of the greatest virtues a Muslim can have.

"And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives, that would truly be from the things recommended by Allah.'' (42:43)

The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said,"Allah shows compassion only to those among His slaves who are compassionate".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said, "The strong man is not one who is good at wrestling, but the strong man is one who controls himself in a fit of rage.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

"Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish." (Al-A`raaf 7:199)

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Well Brother Mabsoot has given the detailed commenst with the refernces of Quran and Hadith.

I am not a scholar on Islam, so this time I just give you some philosophical aspects of Islam about the matters related to the life. (I had explained this to someone else on this forum and it might be useful to you too).

Please give a thought to your life. What is the purpose of your life? Can you answer the purpose of your life?
1- To enjoy the entertainments and hang around?
OR
2- Given that we have been granted the qualities with the freedom of choice between good and bad, we need to follow Allah's guidance, control our Nafs and get the reward from Allah SWT in our eternal next life.

Which one you choose?

Its all the game about "The Self" (Nafs/Bodily desires). Our Nafs not only asks us to listen to music, eat delicious food, drink tasty drinks, but it is also defined by other material desires such as greed, envy, sexual desires and other things.

I am in not intension to direct this argument to you. But can any body ask if his Nafs (Bodily desires) asks for pervert activities then he should follow? Not at all. The matter is that our material desires are to be controlled and that control is the only examination which we have to pass. And that exam is given by Allah SWT to us.
Now you would ask why Allah SWT gave us this exam. Because there was no other reason to create humans if they would not be tested by giving the choice of good and bad. Otherwise angles were enough to just praise Allah And do Ibaadah (worship). The special thing is that a man controls his desires and praises Allah SWT and Follows His Guidance even the man had the freedom to choose the bad path too. That is special.

If you are riding a horse then you will like to drive it to go where you want. You will not leave all the matter to the horse that wherever it brings you in the jungle or desert or some pitfalls. So the rider in this example is your seoul and horse is your Nafs.
Would you like to be the Master of your Nafs (bodily desires) or Slave?

Now after reading all the above, it might gradually make sense that sometimes you are not to use the option even you have the free choice to do so or just because you like.

Bye

P.S.
And about the freedom. As far as you have dependencies, you are not free, and not free means you are slave. Can you free yourself from gravity? Eating? Breathing? There is no such thing like total freedom. So what is the source of your dependencies such as eating, breathing? That is your creator's favors for you. And you can not just free yourself from depending on him. Even if you die you cant free yourself from dependence, why? because the life was also the property of the Creator and the matters after your death are also in His hand. So better thank him and follow his guidance and over that get rewarded for being thankful.

Let me further elaborate on Virtualeyes comment:

As an example, can you not sleep for a month or even less, like a week even though you have "freedom"? As a human being I assume you would say NO, it is not possible. Why? Allah (God) has created you as his slave and He makes you operate the way He likes you to and what pleases Him, whether we like it or not.

boupj

it seems like a whole lot of work. So many rules and regulations. I respect that you believe in something but it seems you have to give up your individualism for a belief. I don't believe that it matters how many times a day you pray nor what direction you face but rather when you do pray you mean what you pray for. (quality, not quantity). I do respect people that follow their believes to a "T" but that lifestyle would never be able to fit into what i do on a daily basis, i'm a busy person and perhaps this is for those that have more time.

I thought the same thing before I became a Muslim, but no one wxpects someone to change overnight. Istarted with the beleif I knew that I beleived in the one true God who has no partners: Allah, and that the message revealed to us by Muhammad (pbuh) was Allah's true message, but I wasn't praying or studying that much. I basically just gave up drinking and tried to be a better person. Slowly I would start to pray (usually only once a day and the shortest prayer, i.e. fajr, but not even on time) then I would do as many prayers as I had "time" for. Usually two a day. Alhamdulillah for the past two days I have done five prayers a day, but at least one of them has been at the wrong time, but Allah is most merciful. I am learning slowly and it will take a while before I've learned how to fit everything together, and if you think your busy I'm a full-time university student working 30 hours a week who lives on my own. I am very busy but it is important to take time out of our lives to remember Allah.

As for why anyone should turn to islam, study it and see that it is the truth.
I'm not a perfect Muslim (who is?) I make mistakes constantly and I'm still trying to learn. But Muslims are not slaves. Slaves are people who live their live based on the temporary things of this world. Money, the TV schedule, how many people have you heard say, "I need to make it home in time for 'Grey's Anatomy'" Well Grey's Anatomy is a 60 minute long TV show while making it home in time for prayer takes fifteen minutes to remember Allah. And yes intention is as important as the act itself but sometimes you have to push yourself to stay on track. If we only prayed when we felt like it we might never pray, like if I only studied I when I was in the mood to study I think I'd fail all of my courses. Praying five times a day is only daunting to those who don't do it, it actually isn't that hard. I forget where I heard it but someone said Allah made the day 24 hours and he gave us certain things to do within that 24 hours and if we say it isn't enough time then we are insulting the creation of Allah.

Islam is a way of life and this life is a test. Allah has given us proper guidelines to pass that test, so we should follow them because the things we might give up in this life for Islam are nothing compared to what we would be giving up in the next life without Islam.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
salaam allaikum

many people have provided nice answers on this forum . But i guess the best thing in Islam is there is Direct connection with God . whose name is Allah. and no other Religion provides this. so its very nice in my view.

salaam allaikum

But Muslims are not slaves. Slaves are people who live their live based on the temporary things of this world. Money, the TV schedule

Just to clarify this brothers message, Muslims are not slaves of any human beings, just to Allah (God).

boupj

Just to clarify this brothers message, Muslims are not slaves of any human beings, just to Allah (God).

Thank you for the clarification, but I was reading and I think Muslims are servants of Allah, not slaves, I know there's only a slight difference but a servant is one who is working for someone and gets paid (for Muslim's our "pay" is the reward we get in the end, and Allah's love, compassion and mercy), servants also have freedom within rules, while a slave is owned by someone and has no freedom. Depending on which translation of the Quran you read they use the word slave or servant, but I feel as though I am a servant of Allah who is willing to give of myself, not a slave who has no choice.

Sorry if I'm being too picky here, but I think it's sort of an important distinction to make, because slave really does imply having absolutely no free will whatsoever.

P.S. I am a sister, not a brother. (don't worry I'm not offended I know my name doesn't give a clue as to wheter I'm male or female.) Just thought I'd clarify.

Noor to shine

more harmony

:salam2: for all:
I believe that Allah swt created us, gave us life, gave us all the facilities we are enjoying (hearing, seeing, feeling......etc.) ........we are walking on his earth, under his sky , eating what Allah swt plants for us, drinking the water he provides for us, we were born on the day Allah swt planned for us, in the family he choosed for us, we will die on the day Allah swt has written for us..........Any moment Allah swt decide that our life comes to end then it will end ......WE are HIS, living on his earth, breathing by his mercy.......WE are returning to our creator sooner or later then..........Aren`t we his slaves ?.....still this kind of slavery grant us a complete freedom.......The more we submite to Allah , the more we practise Islam, the more freedom we feel, the more harmony we will be with the whole being......

:salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah:

Ummzaina

Assalaam Alaikum brothers and sisters..
I would like to say May Allah bless you for all the information and views you have provided for someone in need of it, but I think we should give Invertigo breathing space as he sounds still confused about the betrayal of his previous beleif...and pray that Allah guides him to the right path.

I

Innvertigo

I don't really think of it as a betrayal since many beliefs that have been expressed aren't much different than those that i have as a Christian. I am having a hard time understanding the "Arabic" words like "salaam allaikum", "SWT", "(pbuh)"..there's more but they're on another page. Also if i don't respond it doesn't mean I didn't read your post.

amyaishazouaoui

I don't really think of it as a betrayal since many beliefs that have been expressed aren't much different than those that i have as a Christian. I am having a hard time understanding the "Arabic" words like "salaam allaikum", "SWT", "(pbuh)"..there's more but they're on another page. Also if i don't respond it doesn't mean I didn't read your post.

:salam2:
This is very useful

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/glossary.html

:wasalam:

Mikaeel

Hello Innvertigo.

One of your comments resonated within me.

...I want to believe because I want to.
That is something you have in common with Allah (swt). He wants you to believe for the very same reason, because you want to.

That can sometimes be a difficult concept to understand, but Allah (swt) wants to you believe of your own will and your own desire. It's not what I might say to you, or what the others have said to you, it is because Islam is what you desire in your heart.

Which is also the answer to your question, if we stop to consider it. Why should you turn to Islam? Because Islam is what you desire.

Allah (swt) guides whom He wills to the Right Path.

nazmul hussian

sallam brothers/sisters i just read the quote why turn to islam Islam firstly is the one true religion, the only religion which is true, Al Qura'n the only book which is today unchanged. The only religion where just saying the words La ilaha ilallahu muhammadur rasoolullah you are guaranteed Jannat it is the only peaceful religion and the most spiritual and dont forget it is also the fastest growing religion. yet we can just advise those out of islathe Kuffar to turn to islam yet it is Allah who knows weather they will be muslim or not, we should not force them at all because the prophet nuh [noah] in his time . the prophet nuh tried to convert his own brother and asked him almost forcing him to convert to islam however Allah said (to him i have written his future and his life, he will pass away as not a muslim Allah is all knowing) to this respected brothers/sisters we must advise if only in Allah s will inshallah the will convert. we should give them books and an insight in our religion. my friend is well nt close friend but when i advise him he listens but he likes islam he belives in 1 allah and that the prophet isa is a prophet and that the last prophet muhammad sallalahualaihiwasalllam is th final prophet however he is disillusioned be the kuffar those who are making lies about islam those who are attacking islam why do they do this< because the know islam is true and muslims are kind and good people. well i conclude brothers/sisters islam we all know is the only true religion so we as muslims think about our lives and help our brothers/sisters in our third world countries. im but a mear 15 year old student.and if i have recounted anything wrong please correct me ALAH KNOWS BEST. wa sallamualaicum warahmathallahi wabarakathu and remember we must all stick together as one ummah and as you can see the signs of all Qiyammah is close .

basheer76

Same origin

Peace,
Other beliefs ( chritianity, judaism, etc.) share many things with Islam because they come from the same origin, from Allah Almighty. The difference is that Islam is a confirmation of those revious beliefs and it updates them with new rulings and laws to become a perfect way of life that is applicable till the end of the world. I think this is consistent with the fact that the Quran has been preserved as is and has never been altered.

Tahar

Innvertigo, Assalamu Alaikoum (peace be with you,) don't think about what you have to sacrifice if you become a Muslim, think of what you will gain: Your outlook on life will change for the better. You will become less stressed about life matters, because you will learn to put your trust in your creator. You become more patient, accepting of your destiny, and you will treat yourself and others better.

Also, we are all very busy, but never for what is the most important in life, the purpose of our creation, to do our prayers and renew our connection with Allah.

I understand, this must look like an entirely new lifestyle for you, and you may feel a little overwhelmed about it. Trust me, you can do it. And it gets better with time. Try it, you have got nothing to loose and everything to win.

You already believe in one God, which is the most important step, you only have to submit yourself to your creator and you are practically Muslim. For Islam merely means submission to God. Peace.

I

Innvertigo

I thank all of you for your honesty. It has already begun to make me feel better. My outlook on faith has cleared up a bit since reading all of the responses. My stereotypes have been proven wrong, My faith has expanded and my world view has become a little less hostile.