Will we be responsible for the non-believers?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
:bismillah:
When we die, will we be responsible for the non-believers not believing? As in, we not telling people who we knew (such as family members) about Islam.

For example: My whole family are non-Muslim. If I don't tell them why Islam is the truth, will I be responsible? Will this (not giving Dawah to them) be mentioned by Allah on the Day of Judgement?

Please note that I'm not saying "I'm too lazy to give them Dawah". The reason I don't want to give them Dawah is because I'm afraid that they'll yell at me; something that has happened when I wasn't even giving "direct" Dawah!

I'm also afraid, that me being a new Muslim, I won't have the answers to certain objections (like scholars would).

Does Surah 109 (Al-Kafiroon) apply to my point or against my point? Surah Kafiroon states (Translation of the Meaning by Abdullah Yusuf 'Ali):

"In the Name of Allah; Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Say: O ye that reject Faith! I worship not that which ye worship, (2) Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. To you be your Way, and to me mine.
:wasalam:

Daud McGuire

Say he is one
Hi there peace be with you

asallam alaikum

By all means enlighten your familly. Slowly by slowly, give them words of thaught. Give them a taste for seaking. Humans do not adapt to change instantly effectively. It would be more gracefull on your behalf to accept that they might jump to conclusions when you give them a little bit of insight, but take that as a price you know you will pay for the words you give. Haistyness is the work of the devil, slowly by slowly Inshaa Allah they will understand your affectionate perogative.

I am currently in the same situation. My father(Christian/agnostic/doesnt care) found out I was Muslim yesterday. Tried to act like he didnt mind but I knew it hurt him. Why? The media has made it seam like I have joined the Bin Laden mafia. When really I have found the perfected religion of the universe.

Missconceptions are given in todays society in the UK and USA, but it is our duty as muslims to represent ourselves in a form which makes our famillies see, that being a muslim is not about trying to kill, but its a peacefull religion about loving life the world the animals and the people we live with etc.

Be strong, and if you want to talk more to me feel free I am always willing to talk.

I like this topic, its a good one masha allah

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:bismillah:
Yes, it's true that humans don't adapt quickly. It takes a LONG time for some people.

"Bin Laden mafia" is how nearly everyone in the West views Muslims nowadays. Now, my brother thinks that the government is tracking me and that I'm joining a terrorist group.

I pray that Allah will help people in our situation to give Dawah and remain strong Muslims even after the onslaught of lies about us come against us.

Praise2Allah

U wont be asked if they converted or not sice u cant do something about that (meaning force them) but u will be asked if u tried. We have to make dawah. It is an obligation to present peope with the right image of Isam. Its up to them to accept or decline. On judgment if a non Muslim will be asked why didnt you revert to Islam and he says well I never was told what is Islam or I knew nothing about it! And then we are asked why didnt you show him? And we say well we were mmmm... fooling around, too busy. Then we may be punished. But if we tried, then inshALlah (Allah willing) all is good.
Al hamdulilAh. Try to show them the simplicity of Islam. The prophets ethics. The scientific miracles of the QUran. The biography of the prophet is written by Martin Lings is fantastic. It is very touching, tel them to read it. I am thinling about writing a book about the prophets ethics too, inshAllah if I do give them that too ;)

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I know it's not easy for you but I think you can give it a shot, relay to them the true message of Islam. If they yell at you, then just be patient and contiue your Da'wah by means of your actions. Insha Allaah by the mercy of Allaah swt they will all be guided someday ameen.

Nur Sarah

I have no direct reference but I have read in a book given by my father that we can only ask someone three times before it is out of our hands…this also refers to Muslims habits. If you know a Muslim and their actions are inappropriate you should tell them…however you can only tell them three times. After three times it’s on their own. I also read that if a person is to hear the words of Allah and do not listen it is to their own…but as the others before me have posted…please enlighten your family. I and my father alone are the only Muslims in our family. We are sad that others do not listen…however we can not but keep trying to explain…all the best to you… Salam Nur Sarah