WORK AT HOME

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Does anyone have any 'work-at-home' suggestions for a mother of two toddlers?

What is a fair price to charge for babysitting for another child in the home?

What are things one can do at home to earn extra money?

Salam

:hijabi:

As far as babysitting, my advice is to interview the person--depending on age, experience, try to find a Muslim babysitter if possible

If your are computer savvy there are plenty of jobs for keep and updating a website, which can be done at home. Perhaps telemarketing, doing tax returns at home. Phsychological, medical consultant all sorts of consulting jobs that can be done at home. Google and see what you find.

walaakum salaam

salam

:salam2:

if the sister knows how to do something in which she can sell (on ebay, retail store, or any other website or location).
for example, making (sowing) babies clothes or anything that she is able to do and can sell.
also, she can also buy and sell goods.
buying things onsale (or wholesale) in which can be sold on the internet.

may Allah make it easy for her

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^^ Salam alaikum.

I think sister Karima was suggesting that she could take up baby-sitting as her stay-at-home job.

Fair rates depend on where you live. The currency of your country. Also, on local competition...you wouldn't want to have high prices if there are other babysitters living really close to your place. And also, the price depends on what facilities you can offer the children you are going to look after.

For the sake of giving you a number - let's say, $20 per day.

Lol. Maybe call up another babysitter in your city and see how much they are charging.

An alternative stay-at-home job could be....becoming an author. Quite a hard job though, it's very hard to get books published AND make a profit I think. Computer/internet work has already been suggested above.

Salam alaikum.

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Babysitting prices was one thing I was wondering about. Also, sewing hijabs, etc. or cooking, baking, etc. Things that do not require a computer.

I wondered what any of you might be doing for extra funds, while your husbands are helping make a living.

Salam

salam

about cooking, in some masajid, there is iftar in certain days (monday and thursday).
if the majsid buys food from restaurents, she can check the price that those restaurants charge and calculate her cost of cooking (cost of buying grocery), then offer rates to the masjid where she cooks. inshaalah, she can gain good reward from this and some money.

about sewing and others, the sister can always find someone else who is able to sell what she does on the internet or else where.

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
^^ Salam alaikum.

I think sister Karima was suggesting that she could take up baby-sitting as her stay-at-home job.

Fair rates depend on where you live. The currency of your country. Also, on local competition...you wouldn't want to have high prices if there are other babysitters living really close to your place. And also, the price depends on what facilities you can offer the children you are going to look after.

For the sake of giving you a number - let's say, $20 per day.

Lol. Maybe call up another babysitter in your city and see how much they are charging.

An alternative stay-at-home job could be....becoming an author. Quite a hard job though, it's very hard to get books published AND make a profit I think. Computer/internet work has already been suggested above.

Salam alaikum.

$20 a day is a little low, to say the least, sister :), as it's only $2.50 an hour based on an 8-hour shift!

The best thing to do would be to contact a local day-care centre, find out what THEY charge per day, and undercut them. Some of these centres can be unreasonably expensive, so make sure you're asking at an affordably-priced centre.

I'm not sure how it works in the States, but £50 ($100) a week to have your child looked after for a whole 5-day working week would be TOO MUCH of a bargain, hehe :-D

Charging by the hour might be a good option, too. Because then you open up the opportunity for other parents to send their child to you - not just those who work full-time, but also those who have more flexible working hours, or just need a few spare hours to do housework, shopping, etc. without their children.

You could charge a lot more if you had some kind of childcare certification (I'm not sure on how to get these), but if you don't have one, it'd probably still be easy enough to pick up childcare work from local mothers who know and trust you. Just spread the word that you're available, sister!

Remember also that evenings (especially weekend evenings) offer especially good prospects for babysitters.

When I used to babysit, I used to be paid £10 (a little less than $20) for short stays of around 2-3 hours. And I was only 14 at the time, and it was the mid-1990s...so make sure you price yourself cheaply, but don't undervalue your service :)

Karima

Asalamualikum,

The suggestions were helpful. In fact, I am taking Arabic lessons from my friend, which I pay for, who is looking for work inside her home. She took up babysitting,(to try it out) and it was for a minimal fee, plus a tiny bit extra for 'late' pick-up. I felt this was totally unfair to her.

Thank you for helping me in this. I want the best for what she deserves.

Salam

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
One way to earn money at home is by using your computer. A cousin of mine does medical transcription online and makes somewhere in the mid 40's (USD) for it. I am not certain how to get into it, but I am sure a google search would put you on the right track.

bashaar

i am a web developer and the good thing about computer stuff is that you can work from any where but if the sister has basic computer skills and speaks more than one language maybe you can translate stuff online i would highly recommend taking a good computer course and that would solve your problem for good gl.