yemen...

Nabilah

Sallam me aand my mum an sister are planning of going to yemen sanaa for abotu 3 years insh'allah..

make duaa for us..:tti_sister:

we need info on how much roughly the aparments are and if it is dangerous for us to go without a mehram as my mum is a single parent and am jus 15.. and ma lil sis is 8..

we go to sum people they say its sooooo dangerous then another set of people who say it is the safest place in the world....

plz shed some light...

:jazaak::SMILY34:

:wasalam:

q8penpals

Salam

I live in Kuwait, and by comparitive standards, Kuwait is between a 1st and 3rd world country (I have never heard the phrase 2nd world country, but that is about where Kuwait is). Yemen is truly a 3rd world country, so keep that in mind when you are planning to live there.

If Yemen is similar to Kuwait, Saudi, and Bahrain in it's family laws, you mother will need a letter from your father stating she has his permission to have you with her (if your father is deceased, then she should keep a copy of his death certificate).

AND Before someone accuses me of bashing Yemen, I AM NOT!!! I am simply giving her some information so that she and her family can be adequately prepared for what to expect. Insha'Allah, she will not have to worry about any bad things happening (which, of course, bad things can happen to someone anywhere).

Lana

Here is some Yemen-specific information: the full websites are below)

CRIME: The most serious problem affecting travelers to Yemen is carjacking. Travelers have rarely been victims of petty street crime.
INFORMATION FOR VICTIMS OF CRIME: The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If you are the victim of a crime while overseas, in addition to reporting to local police, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance. The Embassy/Consulate staff can, for example, assist you to find appropriate medical care, contact family members or friends, and explain how funds could be transferred. Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help you to understand the local criminal justice process and to find an attorney if needed.

MEDICAL FACILITIES AND HEALTH INFORMATION: Lack of modern medical facilities outside of Sanaa and Aden and a shortage of emergency ambulance services throughout the country may cause concern to some visitors. Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services. An adequate supply of prescription medications for the duration of the trip is important. While many prescription drugs are available in Yemen, a particular drug needed by a visitor may not be available.
The U.S. Embassy in Sanaa strongly advises all American citizens residing in or traveling to Yemen to ensure that they have received all recommended immunizations (see below).

TRAFFIC SAFETY AND ROAD CONDITIONS: Travel by road in Yemen should be considered risky. Within cities, minivans and small buses ply somewhat regular routes, picking up and dropping off passengers with little notice or regard for other vehicles. Taxis and public transportation are widely available but the vehicles may lack safety standards and equipment. Embassy personnel are advised to avoid public buses for safety reasons. Despite the presence of traffic lights and traffic policemen, drivers are urged to exercise extreme caution, especially at intersections. While traffic laws exist, they are often not enforced, and/or not adhered to by motorists. Drivers sometimes drive on the left side of the road, although right-hand driving is specified by Yemeni law. No laws mandate the use of seat belts or car seats for children. The maximum speed for private cars is 100 kilometers per hour (62.5 miles per hour), but speed limits are rarely enforced. A large number of under-age drivers are on the roads. Many vehicles are in poor repair and lack basic parts such as functional turn signals, headlights and taillights. Pedestrians, especially children, and animals on the roads constitute a hazard in both rural and urban areas. Beyond the main inter-city roads, which are usually paved and in fair condition, the rural roads in general require four-wheel-drive vehicles or vehicles with high clearance.
Travelers should take precautions to avoid minefields left over from Yemen's civil wars. Traveling off well-used tracks without an experienced guide could be extremely hazardous, particularly in parts of the south and the central highlands.
Penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and reckless driving which causes an accident resulting in injury, are a fine and/or prison sentence. If the accident results in death, the driver is subject to a maximum of three years in prison and/or a fine. Under traditional practice, victims' families negotiate a monetary compensation from the driver proportionate to the extent of the injuries -- higher if it is a fatality.

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: Photography of military installations, including airports, equipment, or troops is forbidden. In the past, such photography has led to the arrest of U.S. citizens. Military sites are not always obvious. If in doubt, it is wise to ask specific permission from Yemeni authorities.
Travelers should be aware that automated teller machines (ATMs) are being introduced in major cities but are still not widely available in Yemen. Credit cards are not widely accepted.
The Government of Yemen may not recognize the U.S. citizenship of persons who are citizens of both Yemen and the United States. This may hinder the ability of U.S. consular officials to assist persons who do not enter Yemen on a U.S. passport. Dual nationals may also be subject to national obligations, such as taxes or military service. For further information, travelers can contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Yemen.
American citizens who travel to Yemen are subject to the jurisdiction of Yemeni courts, as well as to the country's laws, customs, and regulations. This holds true for all legal matters including child custody. Women in custody disputes in Yemen may not enjoy the same rights that they do in the U.S., as Yemeni law often does not work in favor of the mother. Parents planning to travel to Yemen with their children should bear this in mind. Parents should also note that American custody orders might not be enforced in Yemen.
American women who also hold Yemeni nationality, and/or are married to Yemeni or Yemeni-American men, are advised that if they bring their children to Yemen they may not enjoy freedom of travel should they decide they want to leave Yemen. Such women often must obtain permission from their husbands for exit visas. They also may not take their children out of Yemen without the permission of the father, regardless of who has custody (See Entry/Exit Requirements section above).
American students and workers in Yemen sometimes report that the sponsors of their residence permits seize their U.S. passports as a means of controlling their domestic and international travel. While the sponsors say they seize the passports on behalf of local security services, there is no law or instruction from Yemeni passport or security offices requiring that passports be seized.

Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

Vaccination or DiseaseRecommendations or Requirements for Vaccine-Preventable DiseasesRoutine Recommended if you are not up-to-date with routine shots such as, measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, etc.

Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG)Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection (see map) where exposure might occur through food or water. Cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with "standard" tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors.

Hepatitis B Recommended for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission (see map) and who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment, such as for an accident, and for all adults requesting protection from HBV infection.

Typhoid Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in the Middle East, especially if visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas and staying with friends or relatives where exposure might occur through food or water.

Rabies Recommended for travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, especially in rural areas, involved in activities such as bicycling, camping, hiking, or work. Also, children are considered at higher risk because they tend to play with animals and may not report bites.

Polio Recommended for adult travelers who have received a primary series with either inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) or oral polio vaccine (OPV). They should receive another dose of IPV before departure.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1061.html

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationYemen.aspx

Nabilah

yep we have that problem already.. they were refusing to give us the visa so now we have to go thru sole custordy of my mum which is hectic!

and jazakhallah for the info! :muslim_child:

:wasalam::SMILY259::hearts:

q8penpals

Salam

I don't know what your relationship with your father is, but even in Kuwait, we had a single-mother teacher at my school who had sole custody of her daughter, but the US court agreement wasn't enough - she still needed a legal, notarized letter from the father stating that she had permission to enter and leave Kuwait for the time specified on the mother's work contract. After her contract was up, she had to get a new letter for her new contract.

Make sure your mother gets all the details.

May I ask why you are moving to Yemen? Does your mother have family there or is she going for a job?

Lana

warda A

Sister
yemen

:salam2:

You are welcome to yemen
As sister Jaba says we are a 3rd world country, you will get all the shocks when you arrive here, cultural et all. I do not know about Sanaa, it is the capital of Yemen (political) and it has a variety of foreigners, as car jacking, that used to happen to tourists and not in the city , it was usually in the villages(thay wanted a leeway with the goverment about some things, even though now you rarely here of such things)
You know as usual things look out of proportion if you are not there, but un the real sense Yemen is quite peaceful.
Are you coming under a work permit, or?
Usually foreigners are sponsored by their employees, and given all benefits.
Housing without a mehram is difficult but as i say if your mother is coming under employment then she could discuss all this with them, unless you are originally from yemen and are coming back?
PM me if you need more.

Ali Saleh

i am yemen. i was born in yemen. i been twice time visit in yemen. yemen was very beautiful weather and lovely mountains. and there is many poor in yemen. and many yemen have capital is very beautiful place. nice different colour yemen house.

i know one thing problem about yemen. yemen loved mad chew qat. yemen is not many crime on anywhere on yemen. tust me. i think you should better with brother or freinds or family visit yemen. this is your chose or up to you.