Yesterday I was touched......

dianek

Salaam All!

I wanted to share this event with you all. Yesterday after picking up my children from their babysitters I was stopped at a stop light. There was a little woman going car to car and ofcourse my first thought was that she was looking for money. I could tell she was foreign but from where I could not guess. I had my car windows down and quickly became a target for her. She told me that she just needed a ride back to the laundry mat about 3 miles aways at Broad Street and parham......I agreed to let her in, figuring she was so tiny she isn't a threat. So she got in and immediately we started talking. She said she was from Afghanistan and was brought to the US after she suffered injuries from shrapnel.....to which she had a very tender side where there were once 60 stitches. I asked if she was muslim and indeed she said she was. I felt so terrible for her. I asked her how she got to the US and she said by the Grace of Allah and some kind US soldiers. Yet here she is in the US, no family, no car. She had walked the 3 miles from the laundry mat to return something to Walmart so she could get her $$ back to use to wash clothes. They would not refund her and she was just in too much pain to walk all the way back. I told her I had taken shahada and she smiled and said "Alhumdullilah, I was going to tell you that you have a beautiful heart and the heart of a muslim, that you should learn islam"....when she got out, I gave her some $$ for her to wash her clothes but after she left, I teared up. How alone she must feel! Do you know she said the people in the US are very kind though she said "Walmart is MEAN!"......so I suggest, lets boycott walmart! LOL!!! She touched me.

dianek

I just want to clarify, I didn't post this to say look what I did...not at all, it was meant to be about how much she pulled my heart strings. I appreciate all your kind words but I take no credit for anything....she was the angel yesterday that helped me "re-connect" a little when I was straying and losing interest.....

Salaam,

Don't worry sister, your message doesn't come across with arrogance or pride. It always feels good to share touchy stories. May Allah reward you for extending a hand to the old woman. Sometimes, the tiniest incident comes across our lives, but it makes all the differences in the world.

dianek

Salaam Humble Wun!

Sadly she wasn't old at all......you would think so but no.....I would in her 30's. I wish I had thought to get her contact information......we have been wanting to find a muslim woman to care for the kids at our house rather than take them to a sitter......thought afterwards that it would be good to ask her if she was interested.... :(

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
it touched my heart as well

where I live, there a couple of women in scarfs who are always begging i nthe city centre and selling magz like "big issue" and stuff. We should be thankful such a thing in unthinkable to us.

s 091

that really is a lovely thing you did. Most people would have just put the windows up and make out that they hadnt seen the poor lady standing there. I am sure you made her day!!!

q8penpals

Salam

Diane, you SHOULD be happy that you took a chance to help another human being - like the others said, not many people would do that.

I have to say 2 days ago, I was very UNTOUCHED by something that happened to an old lady here in Kuwait.

I was driving down the street and this little old lady (grandma type age) was walking down the street. Just as I was coming up the road, she tripped and fell and hit her face on the sidewalk. I immediately stopped my car, put ont he hazard lights and ran to her to see if she was hurt or ok. Her face was bleeding where her glasses cut her, and she already had a bandage on her knee from surgery. Her shoes, glasses, and hat (she was so cute, she was wearing a baseball cap to hold her hijab on!) all had gone flying, the glasses were broke, and she couldn't stand up.

When I realized I couldn't get her standing (and this is all while I don't speak Arabic, and she doesn't speak English), I started trying to wave down a passing car to get someone to help. About 15 cars went by with my waving trying to get them to stop (for an old lady in hijab and full abaya on the ground and a pasty-white westerner) - one car with a man in it even slowed down and I thought he would stop, but he just looked at us and then sped up and drove off.

Finally, 2 men in their 30s stopped and helped me get the old lady to her feet and get her steady. She lived right across the road, so she brushed herself off, thanked us, and then the guys had to stand in the road in order for traffice to stop for her to be able to cross the road.

I was so disappointed that it took so long for someone to help, especially in Kuwait where the people are USUALLY very friendly and helpful.

I am glad to hear that people like Diane DO make a point to help people - I always try my best to help whenever, where-ever I can.

Lana

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
May Allah help us all...This is so sad,how much people suffer and how much they are patient ...3 miles walking to make laundry ,this story made me cry ...

May Allah reward u sister ..

waaleikum salam