Your Handshaking situations

Idris16

Tell us about your handshaking incidents. My intention with this thread is that Muslims can learn from the good things we've done and also our mistakes so they do not shake hands with a non-mahram man or woman. Maybe we should do more threads like this but about other topics, maybe about hijab?

It was narrated that Ma’qil ibn Yassaar said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “For one of you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle is better for him than that he should touch a woman who is not permissible for him.

Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer, 486. Shaykh al-Albaani said in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045, that this hadeeth is saheeh.

It was narrated that Umaymah the daughter of Raqeeqah said: The Messenger of Allaah :)saw:) said, “I do not shake hands with women.

Narrated by al-Nasaa’i (4181) and Ibn Maajah, 2874; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2513.

Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them. In addition to mixing with women, some of them claim that they are forced to shake hands with fellow-students and teachers in schools and universities, or with colleagues in the workplace, or in business meetings and so on, but this is not an acceptable excuse. The Muslim should overcome his own feelings and the promptings of the Shaytaan, and be strong in his faith, because Allaah is not ashamed of the truth. The Muslim could apologize politely and explain that the reason he does not want to shake hands is not to offend or hurt anybody’s feelings, but it is because he is following the teachings of his religion. In most cases this will earn him respect from others. There is no harm done if they find it strange at first, and it may even be a practical opportunity for da’wah. And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Sorry about my bad English!

Once my (female) teacher raised her hand to shake my hand but I told her I couldn't because of religious reasons (it would be better if I said "...because I am a Muslim). It's sad they always have to say "I have met many Muslims but they shake hands!".

Another woman wanted to shake hands even though I had my hands behind my back and told her I do not shake hands due to my religious beliefs, so she responded by saying that I do not shake hands with her because she's filthy i.e najas. I think she must have read this aayah:

O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Wise. [9:28] So I said Nope (i.e. that's not the reason at all).