Your view please

HannahMono

Hello, I'm new here and i wasnt sure where to post this blog i just wondered that everyone thought about this, or could explain to me easier as my boyfriend couldnt exaplian clear enough.
Often on muslims pages such as "bebo" i see muslims write that they are "afraid of Allah" and i wanted to know if you could help me and try and explain why you(they) would be "scared of" Allah if he was your god?
Sowiee if the post seems a little wierd/stupid just something i wondered.
Hannah

Idris16

SALAM

WHEN WE SAY SCARED OF GOD IT MEANS GOD-FEARING PERSON.

IF YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND ME PLEASE DON'T HESITATE with the same question.

Mumin01

its in the sense that we fear Gods punishment, if you fear God you fear his all encompassing power, for there is nothing more powerful or even close to Gods might

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Hi Hannah

Balancing of fearing and loving Allah is very important...

sample answer is because of our human nature

if you fear to lose your job, then you'll try to keep it...
if you fear get in a car accident, then you wouldn't be in a car...
if you fear from failing an exam, then you'll study...
on so on...

if one fears Allah, then he'll wouldn't do what he forbids (which is for our own good in this life and after-life)

cmelbouzaidi

Yes, in fact, I view it as more of a beautiful respect for Allah that there is nothing that compares to the Almighty Allah and we are "God-fearing" in that we are obedient to his commands and are grateful in worship to Allah for all that he has given us :) Alhamdullah (All praise be to God)

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Its still confusing =(
so basically your afraid of his power if he does wrong?

hi HannahMono

Allah never wrong do any one...

what do you fear in this world? and why do you fear it? as a result what do you do?

fear is of our nature... when we (as human being) fear someone, we try to please him... so imagine, when we fear and love someone...

when one fears only Allah, then he wouldn't fear no one/thing since we believe that Allah is in control of everything...

HannahMono

Sorry my secound post i wrote it wrong, ive got things on my mind, if just found out that a good friend since a child has been found died. so i wasnt thinking right
what i meant was:

Are you afraid of the punishment that he would give you if you did wrong?

I'm not understanding this much, it might take a while sorrry

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Sorry my secound post i wrote it wrong, ive got things on my mind, if just found out that a good friend since a child has been found died. so i wasnt thinking right
what i meant was:

Are you afraid of the punishment that he would give you if you did wrong?

I'm not understanding this much, it might take a while sorrry

not a problem HannahMono

the answer is yes...

cmelbouzaidi

Dear Hannah, I am sorry to hear about your friend's death, this must be an extremely difficult time for you. With our actions there are consequences and we must be mindful of that. As believers, we realize that this part of our journey in life is short and we must be focused on what we do in this life will determine how we live in the hereafter. Although, it is stressed over and over in the Qur'an that Allah (God) is the Most Merciful and Oft-forgiving, we were put on this earth for one purpose alone, to worship Allah. We must follow the instructions given to us in the books sent with the Prophets and the Qur'an encompasses the teachings of Jesus, Moses and Abraham as well as our Prophet, Mohammed, peace be upon them. We must also follow the example "sunnah" of how our beloved Prophet Mohammed lived his life in service of the Almighty.

I hope this helps, thanks for the questions :)

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

When I was growing up I held my parents in the highest regard and the last thing I wanted to do was dissapoint them. I feared their dissaproval and sadness/anger when I did something I wasn't supposed to do. And of course I feared discipline when I did something I knew I had no bussiness doing.

Allah swt is flawless and all forgiving, so I want to do the right thing all the time. And I fear failing when I have been given the tools and intelligence to know when do do the right thing and make the correct choices.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

HannahMono

Thank you all for the help, Just one more thing, do you all believe in Allah b'cause you was born into it? or because you choose to (convert etc)

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Thank you all for the help, Just one more thing, do you all believe in Allah b'cause you was born into it? or because you choose to (convert etc)

my parent are mulisms... as i was growing up, i asked questions about my religion (islam) and i found all my answers in it... Islam makes sense :)

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I was raised as an Orhtodox Jew and converted to Islam two years ago.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

cmelbouzaidi

Personally, I chose Islam as the right religion for me when I was 21. I did believe in God (God = Allah in arabic) beforehand but no other religious teachings made clear sense to me like the teachings of Islam did. There is no other religion where one turns oneself away from daily routine and drama to give thanks to the Almighty Creator five times a day.... There is no other religion that encourages charity to fellow human-beings, Muslims and non-Muslims, like Islam does. So many churches just eat up the money collected from the congregation for the preachers own personal needs..... Not so, in Islam. Our preachers (Imams) live modest lifestyles.... e.g. the Imam at my local masjid (mosque) is an ice-cream man :) No other religion asks its followers to fast between dawn and sundown for one month every year and pray more than ever and study qur'an, a month of inner-reflection and extra praise to the Almighty. No other religion has millions upon millions of people performing hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca to honour Allah and pray and worship beside our Muslim community from all over the world. A beautiful sea of white as millions bow down in submission to the Almighty together, rich, poor, old, young, black, white, brown, all people from so many different walks of life speaking so many different languages... all together with one purpose.... to worship the One God, Allah. No other religion can claim that over a million people have memorized its book from cover to cover, even if arabic is the first language of only 20% of muslims worldwide! This is just a glimpse into the beauty of Islam. Alhamdulillah.... I found my way to Islam by the grace of the Almighty Allah :)

HannahMono

thank you so much everyone just one more thing :D (sorry to be a pain) i'm starting to convert myself even though i was bapisted as a christain i didnt believe in god, and i wanted to start believing in god (because of things) and islam applied to me (for reasons) and i was wondering if there is anything anyone could tell me for starting off.(a like the first steps or something)

cmelbouzaidi

Dear Hannah, it has been 17 years but I am thinking back :) Get your hands on a copy of Qur'an translated into English by a Muslim like Pickthall or Abdullah Yusuf Ali and start to read it. Try to go to your local masjid and get to know some sisters who can help you with questions when they come up. You can also ask the Imam questions directly or indirectly. See if you can start attending Friday sermons at the masjid to listen to stories of our Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him and the history of Islam. There may even be classes at the masjid for those interested in learning more about Islam. You can post questions on TTI any time, we have some very knowledgeable sisters and brothers out there.... I learn lots here every day, Alhamdulillah.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Hi Hannah!

Welcome to TTI. I hope that your stay here will be beneficial and fruitful for you and us all.

You don't need to apologise for asking questions. You are learning and people here are more than happy to answer.

Brothers and sisters gave you some good answers and I will only try to expand on your first question regarding the fear of God.

Islam is unique due to some major qualities and one of them is that it encourages moderation.

In other words, islam teaches us to walk the middle path and avoid the extremes of either side.

Islamic teachings don't say that God is only merciful and no matter what you do, you will be fine because somebody else already paid for your sins.

It also doesn't say that God wants our destuction and punishment.

But islam tells us that one has to be in hope of God's mercy and in fear of his puishment. When we are mindful of this lesson, we as human beings will try to be the best and just in our action and speech.

To put it simple, we are responsible for whatever we do. We should be fearful fo the wrath and punishment of God for doing mischief and be hopeful of his mercy for doing good.

According to islam, faith lies between hope and fear.

When a muslim says he/she is fearful of God it means:

he is careful not to commit something that causes displeasure of God

he doesn't want to do something that God forbids

he is conscious that he hasn't done enough to do what he is supposed to do

he is aware that this life is a testing ground and he is anxious if he can face the full report of his actions on the day of judgement

he is worried about loosing the chance to enter jannah and afraid of going to hell

May we get the pleasure and closeness of God
and may HE guide all those who seek guidence. Ameen