Your way to Islam !!!!!share your story

saihoca

I was very much influenced by your story as someone born into a muslim family but who cannot appriciate what it is like to become a muslim after having led a way of life without knowing the God as describd in Qoran for many tears. You know those of us who were born muslims are like the fish born in the sea. Just as fish do not know what it is like to be out of water, we too do not know what it is like to be out of Islam. In a way, we may not appreciate beliveing the value of islam as much as you do. Still, it is nice to hear stories that once more reminds us about how fortunate we are to have been born muslims. Please pray for those like me so that we do not lose our religion while someone likes you finds it :) wasslam sis.

saeed from Turkey.

megan

Growing in my Deen
:salam2:

Reading over everyone's stories is really moving :mashallah: Thank you for sharing something that can be quite hard to articulate and something so personal! :)

My own story isn't that much different but I'll share anyhow. :)
I was born and raised in Scotland in a small countryside community outside Edinburgh. My mother is French, a very open-minded and cultured world traveler :mashallah:, and my father is a rather introvert, kind and generous Scotsman alhamdulillah. There was a short phase in primary school, I was 5 or 6, when I started drawing crosses on my bedroom wall and praying to Jesus etc. My mum quickly put a stop to it, thinking I had been brainwashed by the school pastor! Asides that, religion had never been a part of my life, and I had never been exposed to Islam until I went to Egypt with my best friend Rania. She was not practicing at the time and we were not exactly surrounded by the most righteous of environments in high school! We went with her father to visit their family, I must have been 13 at the time, and had my first encounter with Arabic - Islam was not a big factor in my eyes at the time.
After that I fell in love with the Arabic language - I went to Morocco for a school trip a year or so later and just lapped everything up about Marrakech and the Atlas mountains.
The whole time, though, I was lost, falling into depression and low self-esteem, running away from school, causing problems between my parents and an array of other nasty things :astag::frown: I pray everyday that Allah SWT forgives me for this.
I left home at 16 to go to an alternative college in Gloucestershire, England. During this time we went on a trip to the Sinai desert to help reconstruct mountain gardens that a few Bedouin families had left in ruins to go sell coca-cola to tourists in Sharm-el-Sheikh. Again, it was more the language that intreaged me, but the desert had a lasting impact on me - a whisper of a promise of peace and calm wrapped up in a sense of something much bigger than you or I and our petty little worlds. The whole college helped me a lot in some ways, but it did not rid me of some black spots in my heart and I ended up falling into a trap of depression and self-hate, knowing the bad things I had done and not seeing any salvation.
In brief, with all that emotional baggage, I then decided to go to Montreal (Canada) to get a univeristy degree and to perfect my poorly acquired French. I studied Womens Studies and Arabic for two years until I almost ripped out my hair from an overdose of feminist rhetoric lol and changed into Public Policy and Community Affairs, finishing off my Arabic degree this year :inshallah:
When I first arrived I still did not believe in God and thought religion an interesting but dangerous (i.e wars were because of religion, sickening self-righteousness etc.) thing. I then made friends with some christians who actually seemed like good people! Wow! So, I listened and my curious nature led me to read some of the bible and go to their church. Lovely community of people who softened my heart to God. My mother, no doubt traumatized by my earlier episode with Jesus and crosses, thought I was being brainwashed by an evangelical sect and freaked me out quite a bit (I hold my mum in high esteem and we are VERY close). I still read books about religion, spoke wth my friends, but took some distance from the church and ended up taking a course on Islam - when you study Arabic it's bound to come up, as another sister said on this forum!
I had never believed that Jesus was God, or his son, my rationality screamed against its flawed logic, so I knew Christianity was not a truth I could abide by sincerely. I began reading the translation of the Qur'an and had gotten to know a few Muslims, men and women, who were at varying degrees of practise, some born, some reverted.
I ended up meeting the man of my life in December 2007 in the midst of all this. I was still drinking and doing other destrcutive things, which I would regret and cry over after. He kept holding me accountabl to the actions that werent matching my words. I kept praying to God (this had been an uncomfotble transition for me as I wasnt used to making du'a even though I felt the need) to show me the best way. Naturally a rebel (in the non-glorified sense of the term), it took me a while, around 6 months, for my actions to catch up with my beliefs. The summer of 2008 was a turning point as i returned to Scotland and France to visit family and friends, and tried to rectify some of my wrongs. I did my second Ramadan that year and it began in turmoil - should I do it, should I not, am I Muslim, am I not? In the end, it was a choice I only realized later on... I had been Muslim for a while without even realising... it was so natural for me, it fitted so well with what I knew and what I felt was right that I had just slipped into it. It took me until October 2008 to finally realize my choice and say "I am a Muslim". I said the Shahada infront of a witness, made ghusl and prayed my first two rakaas. It has not been a clear path for me so far, it took me a while to pray consistantly 5 prayers a day, I still have some black spots to clean out and I still pray for more courage to face up to many friends and family who still do not know I am Muslim. I want to wear hijab, it just breaks my heart that I am still too scared to do it.
I married in December 2008, to the man who I had fallen in love with prior to embracing Islam :allahuakbar: and he has been the strongest pillar of support, a true blessing and gift from God :allahuakbar:
I am still in the midst of straightening out my actions and bahaviours to fit those of a Muslima, to be a good servant to God SWT, a good wife, a good daughter and a good friend, God willing. Hearing everyone's stories here encourages me to know that it is not always an easy path and everyone's is different - some people are transformed in a day, some are sure from a revelatory dream, some are slower on the uptake, and others still question and search for their peace in Islam.
Thank you again to everyone to shared, and to those of you who took the time to read!

m3a salama

Nurain

salaam alikom

My story is really long " on August 3 " I was born I heard Azan in one ear and Iqama in other ear later after 2 Years I started to see my parents and other praying and listen to Quran and going to mosque with my dad and my grand fater, by 7 I was beaten to pray :D ;) jk, by 10 I was praying hamdulillah, that how I found out that I am a Muslim.

wa salaam alikom

Salam

Haha bro this was funny. "beaten to pray". LOOOL. Very long post ma sha Allaah.

Nurain

Salam well know what it's me again.

Reading this thread here reminded me. I was born into a muslim family but you know, there's a line between practising and professing. So I was tagging my friends to church and stuff, and one day the pastor kinda just rolll her tongue like "lalalalallalllaallaala" and all these people coming out in groups to convert or something. And really nice people came up to me and said, "We understand that you'd be disowned by your family if you convert... but Jesus loves you..." talk yada yada yada and all I could reply was

reading qul huwallahu ahad repeatedly and over and over.

Now I know that is tawheed at its finest! Alhamdoulillah, did not go meet the pastor. I might have "lalalalallalalala" with her then.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Masya'Allah, i thank u for the beautiful stories.
i'm born muslim and practise this law as my parent did.
but i need some request from brothers & sisters to my reverted friend who passed away recently for your do'a. Her name was clara lee but her muslim name was shireen. her husband also a revert muslim. i was not surprised when i found out that she's reverted to islam as besides having good character, soft spoken, also pretty and pious muslim. She quite younger than me but Allah loves her more.
May Allah bless her soul and placed her in jennah. Ameen.

may Allah forgive her and have mercy upon her soul..Ameen

and may Allah give you and her husband sabr.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
:ma:you are very lucky! Did you grow up in a Muslim country? Some of us who have grown up in non-Muslim countries, and were not around educated Muslims have to start learning the religion right now in older age, and it's not so easy at times, but Insha'Allah it will be a great journey to learn the religion. may Allah help us all. Amin
:salam2: yes sister, i'm from a 100% muslim country(i guess there is only 3 countries with no other religion except islam, and i'm happy mine is one). and sister i pray for you all who grew up in non-muslim areas, that you all succeed in learning islam and compete in dheen as much as those who grew up in muslim communities.ameen
may allah swt makes it easy for you.

Sarah Shafiq

Really amazaing

As salam o alaikum,

It was really nice to read all these posts(short n long both)...n i am really happy to read about your life stories...All of you esp the reverted friends must have gone thru a tough time before Islam or after accepting i guess esp with the families.I would have never realised the lives of our (MASHALLAH)reverted friends before reading this thread...

Well i was Allhumdulillah born into a Muslim family and from birth till now have only seen Islam around me(Allhumdulillah)...I am really thanking ALLAH at the moment because i am really surprised by all your stories and trying my best to think what kind of problems you all would have faced till now but still i just can say MAY ALLAH BLESS YOU ALL IN BOTH THE WORLDS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE TO SEEK THE TRUE RELIGION and you really are the lucky people.

Well i belong to a Muslim country, i was born in another Muslim country and i had been living in another Muslim country...i guess i should also thank my parents for this because of their preference to live in Muslim countries before any other kinds of benefits...

Well i also had been in totally a Muslim community frm my childhood till now...again the same..many mosques around me...i did umrah many times and 1 Hajj MashAllah...i had been living in saudia arab for i guess 6 yrs...

My story is i think just the same as of any born Muslim but i had always found that there is still a lot to do n we can do much better...I am still not a good example of being a Muslim(i admit),but i have always found myself interested in learning more and more about Islam...I have made my mind to search for the right path to my best and to continue improving myself till my last breadth...

kiki18

i converted june 23rd 2008 i was 17 raised catholic in a mexican family. i knew about islam thrugh few muslim friends in school. :D

alexandra

Islam is the beat of my heart

As'saalam alaykom wa rahmatu allah wa barakatuh evryone of u,my brothers and my sisters.I dont know how to start,where to start.i dont know if u remember me,im in this family more than 1 year butI have so much to say,so much to feel,so much to understand.When i say ISLAM IS THE BEAT OF MY HEART--its the truth.islam is my whole life,without it i would be lost,i wouldnt be this one today,i wouldnt understand so much ppl,i wouldnt be back home.
I was lost for 8 months,i wanted to be alone,i left my home,my parents,i accepted the ''cruel life'',that life who made me lost,who made me think that the best way to be happy but in the same time to escape from ur past,from what u dont want to know what will happen in the future,from affraid its to smoke,drink alcoohol,going to the partys and nothing else.somebody made me think negative,made me ''NOBODY''.
2 years ago,i started to speak with a muslim through internet.I was born in a crhishtian family.So,he thought me many things about islam,about how are muslims,etc.i started to learn islam thorugh internet for 1 year,also i got the QORAN in romanian(i'm a romanan girl),AL HAMDULILLAH ,i was praying so much to have THE QORAN.BY GETTING THE QORAN FROM AN romanian association,by helping me,made me think its a sign from ALLAH.when i got the BOOK,i wasnt home,it was the time when i was lost,when i didnt talk with my mum,with my dad by mobile.so,my mum called me(we didnt talk fro 1 month)and she told me:''U got the qoran,my daughter.u must be happy.THIS IS A SIGN.u must come back home.u were waiting for getting this BOOK 5 months!!!!''(my mom knew and already knows about islam and me,to become a muslim).....
SO,by talking with this wonderful muslim(MAY ALLAH PROTECT HIM ALL THE TIME)and coming closer to islam,i decided to become a muslim,i decided to come closer to ALLAH,the ONE AND ONLY,i decided to be a real woman,a beautiful woman,bcz this is how i think about muslim women.I said the shahada,i was crying,my heart was beating so fast.i said shahada at my home.i wanted so much to do it in a mosque.it was my dream.i started to do prayers.5 prayers a day.i was wearing long clothes but i didnt start wearing hijab.i didnt want to get in troubls with my parents.they already were starting to worry about me;how i look,how i think,what i was doing.they didnt accept my decision:choosing islam,choosing the hijab.i was suffering so much,my heart was beating so slow,i was worried that my parents can change my way of thinking about islam.my heart was crying all the time,i couldnt resist anymore.THEY tryed to not to talk anymore with this muslim guy,they tryed to do everything as they said.i couldnt belive this.i wanted to be alone,to live alone.i LEFT MY HOME.i decided to escape from any action concerning islam;i stoped praying,learning about islam.i was so angry.i said to myself:IF THIS IS HOW MY LIFE WILL BE ......HERE......IN THIS STUPID COUNTRY.....WITH THIS STUPID PPL....I DONT WANT TO LIVE ANY MORE......I WANTED SO MUCH TO BE A REAL MUSLIM,TO BE A GOOD GIRL....HOW CAN I BE TOGETHER WITH THIS MUSLIM GUY TO TEACH ME FOR REAL THE REAL RELIGION?''

I did so many bad things in 7 months,i cant talk about this now but in the same time in 7 months i learned how preacios my life is,how important is my life after death.i've been going through many things.everytime i wanted to do something bad,like to drink,go in the clubs,ALLAH appired in my dreams and told me to come back home and in the same time....HE ask me to rise my right hand to the sky and trying to touch the sky.....i coukldnt do this then...after i came home....i had a dream and i saw myself touching the sky and seeing the whole world.this dream made me cry and i said to meself:''IM NOTHING WITHOUT ISLAM,WITHOUT ALLAH.WHERE IS THE GIRL WHO TRYED TO DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR HER LIFE?.....I GOT THE WORON AFTER 5 MONTHS OF WAITHING.THIS IS A SIGN''
Now im here,im back home,happy to be with all of u again.I NEED ALL OF U TO HELP ME TO GO THROUGH THIS.....I REALLY WANT TO BE A MUSLIM,A REAL ONE.I NEED UR HELP.......GIVE ME SOME ADVICE

I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY,THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS TO SHARE WITH ALL OF U.BUT THE MOST IMPROTANT THINGS IS THAT AM HOME,AM BACK TO MY REAL PLACE.....THATS......MY....TURN TO ISLAM......AND ITS THE TRUTH:IM BACK TO ISLAM

:hijabi:

abdellah007

Masha allah sister Alexandra, welcome back home and welcome to Islam.

Insha allah your life will be alright after choosing Islam.

salam

megan

Growing in my Deen
MashAllah

Sister Alexandra - your story brought tears to my eyes subhanAllah, the trials we go through to get closer to God! Praying five times a day, making du'a (supplications and asking forgiveness from God) and keep reading the Qur'an are really what keep a Muslima on a healthy path.
It's not always easy - and sometimes having an environment around you which is against such a life-changing decision can be scary! But subhanAllah, God puts those he loves through major trials to make them closer to Him, rely on Him and trust that He knows best, whatever we may be going through.
It must be especially hard to not have a physical community of Muslims around you to help guide and support you but inchAllah you will find a helpful community here, and remember that whatever happens, when it comes to the end of your life here on earth, you will only answer to Allah SWT. :hijabi:

with love and peace sister *hug*

Peace92

Revert to Islam

My name is Asma.
I am also convert to Islam. About 6 months ago, i met sister Muslimah16 in a local store. Her dress code really amused me and i wanted to no more. So i walked up to her and asked her why she was dressed black from head to toe. She explained how its what muslim women wear and gave me a fair introduction to Islam. At first i was amazed that she could even speak English! No offense sister.
I never belonged to a religion before. But i had been studying about Islam for some time. I then converted to this amazing religion, at a masjid near by.
I then changed my name to Asmaa too. I want to be pious like my sister hopefully, God-willing.
So thank you sister Muslimah 16 for directing me to this website and to Islam.
Thats my story.

Tarekonline

welcome sister alexandra to islam

I read sister alexandra story with great interest.. May ALLAH guide you and let you be the reason to guide others to the beauty of islam... We need to share such stories to support each other against the Fetn (Fortification , as i think so) that might face us.... May ALLAH guide mankind to the beauty of islam and let us be reason for guidance....
salam alikom
:):salah::astag:

shamael

salam :salam2:to you all ,i was raised as a greek orthodox and my parents took me and my sister to church every sunday,i remember having to sit very still and we wernt allowed to cross our legs,not sure why,it was so boring the greek used y the priest is old greek so couldnt understand a thing.any way i went greek school and was taught that the turks are our enemy and we must never talk to them,i grew up with a strong love towards jesus[pbuh]kept pics of him in my room.i married a greek cypriot to please my parents turned out to be a nightmare i was mentally abused by him for 9 years,i desperatley looked for a way out of my marriage and i cried alot and called out to God to help me ,my family pushed me to stay with him because of what people would say ,i went to see a greek priest who i thought would help me he didnt make any sense ,so i turned to the evengelical church who all seem to be happy married couples ,then my sister told me about born again christians ,i stuck with them for a while and made a good friend who told me God doesnt want me to be in an abusive marriage ,i was so pleased and thought with gods help i can get divorced,in 1997 i came to uk from cyprus with my 2 children and decided i was never going back,my sister took me to her church were they all sing and dance and get high on the holy spirit,people can go up for prayer to recieve healing so i went up ,i started crying and then three big black men got hold of me and started to speak in another languge[tongues]i didnt like it so i tried to get away they held on to me and were saying satan leave this woman in the name of jesus ,it really freaked me out i left that church and never looked back:hearts:well i did not want to know about religion for a long time,it was at this time i met my husband now ,he told me he was from afghanistan a place i had never heard of as for muslims i thought they were all from a certain country:girl3:he was so kind and differnt from other men i had met in the past he had a lot of respect for me and was so kind to my children ,we married in registry office and slowly he taught me about islam through his actions subhanallha, i will tell you how i reverted to islam soon inshallah have to go now :)

peridot

untitled convert

Salam,
I started to study islam through internet with the guidance of brothers out there,I am practicing the life islam base on reading and with the help of brothers.But skeptical coz I dnt have documents confirming my faith in ISLAM,feeling am not officially muslim coz no proofs,but ALLAH knows my heart and mind and Allah is my great gudiance.Feeling am not welcome coz I feel all alone but there are still brothers who cares and help me strenghten with the websites I everyday open.Islam life is so different to christian way of life.I know i have a lot of things to learn more about dedicating my life to islam,take care all!!!!!Assalamualaikum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I aM FROM PHILIPPINES by the way.:ma:

Zзупep

I was born in a Muslim family.I was taught the basic rules of Islam by my parents.especially
my mother tought them.and she is a real Muslim woman.I knew that Islam was the true way but I wasn't interested in Islam enough.but just 7 months ago I was woken up by my friend.and ı started to elarn and search more about Islam.then ı realised the light infront of me.then I started wearing scarf.so I became a real Muslim...

Abdullah77

salam :salam2:to you all ,was at this time i met my husband now ,he told me he was from afghanistan a place i had never heard of as for muslims i thought they were all from a certain country:girl3:he was so kind and differnt from other men i had met in the past he had a lot of respect for me and was so kind to my children ,we married in registry office and slowly he taught me about islam through his actions subhanallha, i will tell you how i reverted to islam soon inshallah have to go now :)

Sister we are still waiting for the rest of your story.
May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala give you and your family happy, successful and peaceful life in this world and hereafter.