Zakat help

JD19

I will be paying my first Zakat, insha'Allah this year. Once I do my taxes, how can I determine what goes to charity? Is it 2.5% of my net earnings?.. or 2.5% of net earnings minus what I pay to the govt in taxes?...

Once I figure out the amount, where can I find good charities to give it to?

rizzumd

Your brother
:salam2:

Brother, we don't pay zakat on our earnings but on Savings.
The day your saving reaches nisaab level(value of 85 gms of gold. It was approximately 700-800$ last year) you should start counting days. Once it reaches 354 days(acc. tp lunar year) and you still have the balance above nisaab level you should pay zakat on your savings and assets totally.. (We don't pay zakat on the things we use for living. for e.g house, car, etc..)
Remember if you are earning million dollars per year and you are not saving to nisaab level, you are not obliged to pay zakat.

Regarding to whom we can give zakat(obligatory charity), Allah s.w.t mentions about this in Surah, Al-Tawba in aayat 60. The translation is
"The alms are only for the poor and the needy, and those who collect them, and those whose hearts are to be reconciled, and to free the captives and the debtors, and for the cause of Allah, and (for) the wayfarer; a duty imposed by Allah. Allah is Knower, Wise."

So..You can pay zakat to only above 8 categories. Among these categories you can give it to those who need or deserve more..

You cannot pay zakat to your parents, grand parents (all above in the hierarchy), children, grand children(all below in the hierarchy), wife, prophet family. [may be some more, but i don't remember now..]

May Allah accept all our zakat and sadaqas.

:wasalam:

rizzumd

Your brother
wait, we only pay zakat on our savings?

i really really didn't know that

please can you send me to a link that confirms this??

:salam2: brother.
I dont know any hadith that tells about this. But this is what I heard from our Shaik. You can google and check it in any Islamic sites.
Zakat Calculator
We pay only on savings or cash on hand. You may earn 10 thousand dollars per year but if you had spend 8 thousand dollars for your living like food, gas, etc.. You have to pay zakat only on 2 thousand dollars. Ofcourse if you have lend money to someone you need to add that while calculating zakat and also all the assets that you have which are not used for your living purpose.