A question about Dhikr

YMYuke

:salam2: Everyone i just want to ask a question that has been stuck in the back of my mind for a long long time. Im not sure this is the right place to ask questions but i wanna know your opinions about this:
i don't really know how to place this but my question is when you say dhikr like Subhanallah, Alhamdulilah, Allahu Akbar etc.. do you just say them or are you suppose to feel something each time like when you finish prayer and you say the dhikr 33 times each, are you suppose to slow down and try and in your mind maybe translate the words to feel the meaning eachtime or do you just say the dhikr 33 times? also when within the sallah when you sujuud and rukuu' :salah: do you only speak out the words subhana rabiyall adhim and subhana rabiyal a'laa or do you imagine glorifying and the meaning of these words?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

That is such a good question.

With repetition comes ease. You are to say them as if they come from the bottom of your heart. Your goal is to enter heaven. This becomes your toil. Work hard. Study what does dhikr do for the soul.

Do not reflect too much. This is where you need a teacher. Often too much reflection without supervision can lead you into unknown territory.

Tomtom

Banned
:salam2: Everyone i just want to ask a question that has been stuck in the back of my mind for a long long time. Im not sure this is the right place to ask questions but i wanna know your opinions about this:
i don't really know how to place this but my question is when you say dhikr like Subhanallah, Alhamdulilah, Allahu Akbar etc.. do you just say them or are you suppose to feel something each time like when you finish prayer and you say the dhikr 33 times each, are you suppose to slow down and try and in your mind maybe translate the words to feel the meaning eachtime or do you just say the dhikr 33 times? also when within the sallah when you sujuud and rukuu' :salah: do you only speak out the words subhana rabiyall adhim and subhana rabiyal a'laa or do you imagine glorifying and the meaning of these words?

You must know the meaning of what you are reciting, otherwise it's pointless, like reading the Holy Qur'an in Arabic without knowing the meaning of what you are reading.

With ref. to what you say at Ruku and Sujud you sort of say it to yourself, so that only you can hear it without disturbing the person next to you. There are tons of literature floating around the internet or why not try youtube for prayer guidance?

YMYuke

:wasalam:
Thank you for your answer, I haven't thought of it as if they are coming from my heart and I'll try and do that, thanks. Also that means slowing down? specially for the adkaar when we finish the prayer the 33s of subhannallah alhamdullilah and allahu akbar? because i always had the opinion that their not really significant if you just say them without thought and you just count them.

YMYuke

You must know the meaning of what you are reciting, otherwise it's pointless, like reading the Holy Qur'an in Arabic without knowing the meaning of what you are reading.

With ref. to what you say at Ruku and Sujud you sort of say it to yourself, so that only you can hear it without disturbing the person next to you. There are tons of literature floating around the internet or why not try youtube for prayer guidance?

Definitely, I understand you have to know the meaning of your recitation. The thing is, I know the meaning of the adkaar but when i say repeatedly i feel I'm not really thinking of the meaning or I'm not exactly puting effort in my mind to feel the meaning if that makes any sense :) i don't really know what im saying but its one thing to know the meaning its another to feel it.. thanks for your answer :)

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Actually not really. There is reward for reciting it, just like if you recite the Qur'aan. A person recieves reward for reciting every single letter in the Qur'aan and this is without knowing the meaning and pondering over the meanings etc. Similarly, the adhkaar after salaah or anyt other adhkaar- is rewarded due to the action itself, even if you don't know the meaning. However, reciting whilst understanding the meaning and pondering over it is far better.

Tomtom

Banned
Definitely, I understand you have to know the meaning of your recitation. The thing is, I know the meaning of the adkaar but when i say repeatedly i feel I'm not really thinking of the meaning or I'm not exactly puting effort in my mind to feel the meaning if that makes any sense :) i don't really know what im saying but its one thing to know the meaning its another to feel it.. thanks for your answer :)

I know exactly what you mean as I am a new revert and I'm just starting my life. It's difficult for us especially if our mother tongue is not Arabic, it's hard learning the prayers but at the same time we are learning another language. My goal is to learn the Holy Qur'an by heart Insha'Allah I'm just wondering how long it will take me to reach that goal. I have just mastered the Arabic alphabet :) and my target is within ten years lol

YMYuke

Actually not really. There is reward for reciting it, just like if you recite the Qur'aan. A person recieves reward for reciting every single letter in the Qur'aan and this is without knowing the meaning and pondering over the meanings etc. Similarly, the adhkaar after salaah or anyt other adhkaar- is rewarded due to the action itself, even if you don't know the meaning. However, reciting whilst understanding the meaning and pondering over it is far better.

I agree with you there, so do you HAVE to ponder over the meaning of adkaar tho or do you just recite them as the sunnah tells us, i know it helps if you do but most people i know don't

YMYuke

I know exactly what you mean as I am a new revert and I'm just starting my life. It's difficult for us especially if our mother tongue is not Arabic, it's hard learning the prayers but at the same time we are learning another language. My goal is to learn the Holy Qur'an by heart Insha'Allah I'm just wondering how long it will take me to reach that goal. I have just mastered the Arabic alphabet :) and my target is within ten years lol

Inshallah you will, you need determination but i found in my life that Allah makes it easy if you keep at it :) and the reward is massive at the end :) Mashallah I haven't memorised the whole quran myself but I'm reading and i got the same aim as you inshallah we both will :)

Idris16

We can say SubhanAllahi wa-biham-dih SubhanAllahil `adheem how many times we want. But what about saying SubhanAllah how many times we wish?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The Quran is the wellspring of the heart. When we dhikr we are polishing our heart.

It is a matter of time to understand what you are really doing. If you put a penny in a jar each time you pronounced the words that fill the scales to Please Allah you would save a lot of money. You have the physical evidence before you.

Faith is not physical but it manifests itself in a physical way. The more we strive to come close to Allah the easier our path becomes.

You are laying the foundation to a steadfastness of faith.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
I agree with you there, so do you HAVE to ponder over the meaning of adkaar tho or do you just recite them as the sunnah tells us, i know it helps if you do but most people i know don't

It is better to ponder over the meanings and understand them, in fact it is very good for your eemaan etc. But this is not a condition for the acceptance of your adhkaar.

Hope that makes sense.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Trust me- if you stick to your schedule (even if that is 15 minutes everyday)... you will see yourself having gone very far after even one year :- )

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}
Thank you for your answers, much appreciated.

asalaam aleykum

1st welcome on board
and 2nd thank you for your "dhikr" question.

both replies including your thinking goes perfect right.
But....to my understanding...
it is not just dhikr ism Allah,
but INTO actioin counts too.

Wa aqamat salat li Dhikry...(of course remembering him within your salat is that which you recite; say for example:-

(23:1) Most certainly those Believers have attained true success
(the above is certain to happen BUT on terms as follows:-

(23:2) who perform their Salat with humility:

http://www.tafheem.net/tafheem.html
(for further reading and understanding)

(23:3) who refrain from vain things:
(that is telling U To act 0(not as others do DHIKR LLAH BUT indulge on the same which is Prohibited..Then what effect will that dhkr LLAH be.

So; Dhikkr LLAH.....is really vast very vast; NOT 33 times but it matter much acting on that Dhikr.
i am not perfect ALLAH IS
i hope it might be helpful a little.

thank you.

YMYuke

asalaam aleykum

1st welcome on board
and 2nd thank you for your "dhikr" question.

both replies including your thinking goes perfect right.
But....to my understanding...
it is not just dhikr ism Allah,
but INTO actioin counts too.

Wa aqamat salat li Dhikry...(of course remembering him within your salat is that which you recite; say for example:-

(23:1) Most certainly those Believers have attained true success
(the above is certain to happen BUT on terms as follows:-

(23:2) who perform their Salat with humility:

http://www.tafheem.net/tafheem.html
(for further reading and understanding)

(23:3) who refrain from vain things:
(that is telling U To act 0(not as others do DHIKR LLAH BUT indulge on the same which is Prohibited..Then what effect will that dhkr LLAH be.

So; Dhikkr LLAH.....is really vast very vast; NOT 33 times but it matter much acting on that Dhikr.
i am not perfect ALLAH IS
i hope it might be helpful a little.

thank you.

:wasalam: thanks for your answer, very good points and thanks for the link aswell really helpful and bookmarked on my browser jazakallah bro