A question that's been nagging me

naz haider

Assalam Alaikum,
There is a question that I often ponder on. People who embrace Islam, why are they called reverts, and not converts?? For if you check the meaning of the word Revert it means 'to return to a former habit, practice, belief, condition, etc.: They reverted to the ways of their forefathers.' (source dictionary.com)

The people who 'embrace' Islam were surely following some other religion or were atheists.

I don't mean any offence to anyone and please forgive me if my words hurt your sentiments... That was not my intention. I just want to know the logic behind it.

Thanks for you patience...
Jazak Allahu Khair

naz haider

The word I highlighted in the definition you quoted is why. They, like everybody else, were born Muslim. That is the original condition of every creature, the knowledge of and the submission to the one true God. Their parents make them Christian, Jew, Magus, etc. So, when they accept Islam, they return to their original state.

Jazak Aalhu Khairun brother. Your reply is so precise and to the point. It makes complete sense now. May Allah bless you for helping me understand.
:salam2:

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Sister,

People used to convert to Islam during the time of the Prophet :saw: too.

But, we don't find the Prophet :saw: or Sahabas using word Revert ( arabic equilvalent of it) for them in Hadiths.

:wasalam:

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
coz the prophet pbuh said that the baby when he's born is muslim by birth,and his parents make him Christian jewish or atheist,so when somebody returns back to his fitra 'nature' we call him a revert not a convert

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
IT' OK for NEW MUSLIM TO BE CALLED AS , 'REVERT'......
But I jst suggest , A BETTER NAME , for those who accept ISLAM , as ...BORN AGAIN MUSLIM......

Because, they were MUSLIMS when they were BORN , But they were intentionally taught by their parents , NOT to OBEY ,and WORSHIP the TRUE ALMIGHTY GOD, ALLAAH, but to some MAN MADE IDEOLOGICAL GODS..

When these people understood the TRUE and then accept the ISLAAM, in fact they now are born as MUSLIMS AGAIN.The moment they accept ISLAM all sins are FORGIVEN , including the GRAVE SIN , SHIRQK, so that they are as PURE , SINLESS as A NEW BORN BABY.........

Therefore, we BETTER CALLED THEM ..........BORN AGAIN MUSLIMS......

If anyone disagree, then proof with reasons...please..........or else,

IF ANY BROTHERS AGREE WITH MY OPINION, THEN DONT HESITATE TO SPREAD THIS NAME AMONG THE MUSLIM UMMATH TO CALL THE NEWLY TURNED MUSLIMS AS.........BORN AGAIN MUSLIM.....

Awesome colors and huge fonts! cool! ............. NOT!

naz haider

I agree with brother Moderate Muslim... that is a nice term. I hope people like it and Insha Allah we see many more 'Born Again Muslims'. :tti_sister: