A study of Aisha(R.A)'s age at the time of marriage with Prophet Muhammad(slm)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

When I read posts like this I wish I had a whip.

This is the Mother of the Believers. Hello.

This is the wife of our Prophet, swas. He is the Beloved of Allah. Hello.

Who are we to even think that he, swas, would go against the Will of Allah. He, swas, who is the Mercy of Allah subhana wa taala. He, swas, who upheld his promise to Allah.

We should all take a lesson from this. The Prophet and Messenger of Allah, was tested by marrying such a young girl. She in her innocence questioned him. He who was changing the world had to content with a young girl who wanted to play. She would nap and forget housework. He is making military decisions that revolutionized civilizations. He is busy with carrying out his mission.

Allah subhana wa taala gave him a moment of innocence and a brilliant mind that has helped every Believer.

Valerie

As for this continous theme in the comments that the Prophet consumated marriage with a 9 year old, he married a 9 year old etc. etc.I think some people are forgetting that at 9 years old Ayesha was a woman. Once again I repeat she was a woman i.e. able to bear children, i.e. that she had gone through puberty.

:salam2:

This is the one thing that keeps me from completely being at ease with Islam. Really. I have problems with the way people behave (violence, hatred, etc), but that's in every religion. She may have been technically able to bear children, but she was still not fully grown. She may have been able to bear children, but she still wanted to play with her toys. She was still a child, despite being able to technically become pregnant. Had she been a teenager, I probably would not have difficulty with it. I know this is going to have people jumping on me, but I'm not trying to cause problems, this is a genuine problem for me and other people who are interested in Islam. Girls may have gotten married in every society at a young age, so it isn't this one case that I have an issue with, but those cases I'm not expected to just accept something for the founder of a religion.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm being honest. In my journey to find where I fit, I studied Catholicism. I had a problem with some of their beliefs and I was told if I didn't like it, then I need to go elsewhere because their religion wasn't for me. I want to hang on so tight to Islam, but if I have to accept everything, especially this, should I go elsewhere?

Musalmaan

This is the one thing that keeps me from completely being at ease with Islam. Really. I have problems with the way people behave (violence, hatred, etc), but that's in every religion. She may have been technically able to bear children, but she was still not fully grown. She may have been able to bear children, but she still wanted to play with her toys. She was still a child, despite being able to technically become pregnant. Had she been a teenager, I probably would not have difficulty with it. I know this is going to have people jumping on me, but I'm not trying to cause problems, this is a genuine problem for me and other people who are interested in Islam. Girls may have gotten married in every society at a young age, so it isn't this one case that I have an issue with, but those cases I'm not expected to just accept something for the founder of a religion.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm being honest. In my journey to find where I fit, I studied Catholicism. I had a problem with some of their beliefs and I was told if I didn't like it, then I need to go elsewhere because their religion wasn't for me. I want to hang on so tight to Islam, but if I have to accept everything, especially this, should I go elsewhere?

Sincere Apologies if I came across as rude to you. That was not my intention.

I would like to make two points:

1. Nowhere in my post do I say to Muslims that if they can't live with the fact that Ayesha (RA) was 6 when betrothed to the Prophet then they should go eslewhere. Allah knows that was not my intention. In my frustration to want my brothers and sisters to not be 'had' by this poor article I may have put that point across poorly.

2. Sister Valerie if Ayesha's (RA) age does not sit well with you, then atleast consider the character of the man that she was married to. You say you would not expect this from the founder of a religion. I would say to you, go and read up on the life and character of Muhammad (SAW). As Sister Aapa says, do you think he (SAW) would ever go against the will of Allah.

At the end of the day though for me atleast it comes down to this: I believe Muhammad (SAW) is the Prophet of God. End of. As such I personally have no issue with the age at which he married Ayesha (RA). My belief entails knowing that Muhammad (SAW) was always on the truth.

Valerie

Sincere Apologies if I came across as rude to you. That was not my intention.

I would like to make two points:

1. Nowhere in my post do I say to Muslims that if they can't live with the fact that Ayesha (RA) was 6 when betrothed to the Prophet then they should go eslewhere. Allah knows that was not my intention. In my frustration to want my brothers and sisters to not be 'had' by this poor article I may have put that point across poorly.

Oh no, you weren't rude at all. I apologize. I chose that particular quote because it summed up my problem, not because of anything you did. Then I went on to explain my problems that I'd encountered outside of Islam (in my search for my religion). I apologize if I've offended you, I certainly had no intention of doing so. My main problem is, do I make myself at peace with this, or do I move on? I love Islam. I love the prayers, the modesty, community. As long as I've known about this particular issue, I've struggled with it. Am I a hypocrite if I have such a hard time with it? That's how I feel. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to.

mezeren

My main problem is, do I make myself at peace with this, or do I move on? I love Islam. I love the prayers, the modesty, community. As long as I've known about this particular issue, I've struggled with it. Am I a hypocrite if I have such a hard time with it? That's how I feel. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to.

Sister,

Personally, i do not know the exact age of Aisha (r.a.) and do not bother. What i know is that she was not only able to bear a child but mature enough to marry at the time of her marriage.

As a muslim i beleive in Allah and his books. But, Sahih Bukhari is not among the books Allah has sent us. Althouhgt i respect and love scholars of islam such as Bukhari, i beleive that their books are not free from errors. Do not forget that the only book which are free from error is the book of Allah, the Quran.

i suggest you do not feel uncomfortable about the matter, do not let satan to keep you away from islam.

mezeren

Assalaamu `alaykum

Baatil piece of work and whoever wrote it, wasted their time.

These sort of articles put doubts in the minds of the muslims on the authenticity of narrations from Bukhaari and other than Bukhaari.

Brother, are you suggesting that Sahih Bukhari can not be questined or criticised or no ulama at his time or later criticised his works?

Do you think that if a few of his narrations were not from the sunnah of Rasulullah(a.s.) , whole of the book would be invalid?

Do you beleive in Sahih Bukhari as you beleive in the Quran?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As'alaamu Alaikkum

Uthman bin Affan said:

"The Messenger of Allah said: 'The Muhrim should not get married, or propose marriage, or arrange a marriage for some else.'"

An Nasa'i

English reference: Vol. 3, Book 4, Hadith 2845
Arabic reference: Book 24, Hadith 2855

It was narrated from Ibn 'Abbas that the Prophet married Maimunah when he was a Muhrim, and she appointed Al-'Abbas in charge of her marriage, and he married her to him.

An Nasa'i

English reference: Vol. 4, Book 26, Hadith 3275
Arabic reference: Book 26, Hadith 3286

As per the above two examples, are you saying again that the Prophet (pbuh) was a hypocrite?

There are flaws in the hadiths.

As-salaamu `alaykum

Do you see a flaw in these hadeeths? There are a number of explanations to this particular conflict and many others wherein it seems two hadith, both of which are deemed authentic seem to contradict. As per the situation above. Imam An-Nawawi himself noted the conflict above in his Explanation of Sahih Muslim. Most interestingly perhaps, is the language of the hadeeth. The word Muhrim in the second hadeeth is linguistic and not shar`i in that it means that the Prophet married her in the Haram. As an example of the word Muhrim being used in this way, An-Nawawi recalled the following line of poetry,

قتلوا ابن عفان الخليفة محرما
They killed the Caliph `Uthmân bin `Affân muhrima

The meaning of muhrim here is 'the haram of Madinah' for that is where he was slain.

Secondly, in Usûl Al-Fiqh, a science whose foundation was paved before Sahih Muslim was compiled - a statement of the Messenger takes precedence over an action of his. Thus the hadeeth of prohibition applies to all - it is transitive, whereas his action is isolated to him - suggesting clearly this was an exemption reserved for the Messenger (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) just as he was allowed to marry more than four wives and the likes...

Please see the below (if you can read Arabic) for more,

http://www.islamweb.net/newlibrary/display_book.php?idfrom=4168&idto=4177&bk_no=53&ID=618

Lastly, I'm curious to know where you concocted that trick from? I have a better one - apply (or follow) the correct principles of hadith analysis before arriving at conclusions. It might be hard work, but conclusions are more likely to be accurate as a result. I wonder if you would've reached yours had you observed this last point. And please, I'm not saying this in a rude or argumentative way, just saying brother.

May Allaah forgive me if I erred.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Sister Valerie,

If you feel that you have issues with Islam I feel that the issues are far deeper than the age of the Mother of Believers.

You are questioning the nature of the Prophet of Allah. You are questioning his response to what Allah subhana wa taala had willed for him, swas. He obeyed the will of Allah.

We live in a word that is full of strange terminology. If an adult in this world plays with dolls with call them collectors. There are people who collect Barbie Dolls and we applaud them. We have people that play with all sorts of things. We call them professional athletics. It is simply the label we place on play.

The magic word that seems to be lost is puberty. Even today we have girls that reach puberty at a young age. Ten or eleven is the magic year. She had reached puberty. Now, how do we judge the Mother of Believers? Do we judge her maturity by comparing her to other nine or ten year olds we know who are alive today?

We are not discussing ordinary people. The father of the Mother of Believers was a pious man. He was the Companion in the Cave. He would not have wed his daughter if he thought there was something wrong. Remember, women were available. Islam is what gave women rights.

An ayat in the Quran was revealed to protect her name. Now, that is something to think about.

He,swas, whose life was to give us the good news, do we question his motives?

What is fully grown? It is not 18 or 21. I find it amusing. I often used to tell my students about going off to war for the US. You are 18 years old. They won't let you drink, smoke cigarettes, and barely vote but they want you to take a bullet for them. Is that fully grown? I taught in a high school where a girl would go around parading that she was the only virgin in the school. She was one of 1000 odd girls. What is fully grown?

And to be perfectly frank if you are questioning the character and nature of the Messenger of Allah I strongly suggest that you seek help from others to help you understand the beauty of this man.

How can a person call themselves Believers and question his motives?

mezeren

Assalaamu `alaykum

Whatever the case, I have attached a word document that pretty much refuts all the points raised in the article.

:wasalam:

Brother, i opened the document and when i see the part below i felt uncomfortable,

"Thus, I allowed myself, after praying istikhara to write a rebuttal to this false accusation to clarify for laypeople Muslims this matter."

As if he is implying that by praying istikhara what he says afterwards are from Allah, so beleive in them without questioning.

That is not the proper way to refute an allegation scientifically.

it reminds me of sufi sheiks who claims to be in contact with Allah and talk to his massanger either in dreams or awake so they make themselves divine in the eyes of their followers.

Valerie

If you feel that you have issues with Islam I feel that the issues are far deeper than the age of the Mother of Believers.

Yes, but they aren't major issues. The encouragement of violence and hatred of non-Muslims is a turn-off, but that's really no different than most Christians either. I also have an issue with the racism that is so acceptable for some here. To regard a man as perfect, when he consummated a marriage with a child is deeply disturbing to me. As a mother, one who protects her children, yes, it bothers me.

You are questioning the nature of the Prophet of Allah. You are questioning his response to what Allah subhana wa taala had willed for him, swas. He obeyed the will of Allah.

How dare I? There are parts of the Old Testament where God told the people to kill everyone but save certain groups (like women who were virgins), and enslave them. Can one not question THAT? What makes this different? I have the right to ask.

We live in a word that is full of strange terminology. If an adult in this world plays with dolls with call them collectors. There are people who collect Barbie Dolls and we applaud them. We have people that play with all sorts of things. We call them professional athletics. It is simply the label we place on play.

Athletes have that as a career. Collectors don't play with toys like a child. Nice try though.

The magic word that seems to be lost is puberty. Even today we have girls that reach puberty at a young age. Ten or eleven is the magic year. She had reached puberty. Now, how do we judge the Mother of Believers? Do we judge her maturity by comparing her to other nine or ten year olds we know who are alive today?

Sure, why not? It was said she was playing with dolls. She obviously had the same interests as other little girls. Was she alone physically the size of a full-grown woman at 9? I doubt it.

We are not discussing ordinary people. The father of the Mother of Believers was a pious man. He was the Companion in the Cave. He would not have wed his daughter if he thought there was something wrong. Remember, women were available. Islam is what gave women rights.

Okay. Was it to strengthen ties? If it were for political reasons (not saying it was), then that would have been important. Especially if women were barely more useful than property in that society. A marriage is one thing, an intimate relationship is very different. Islam may have given women rights in that region, but there are other societies (such as in parts of Europe) where women did have rights (before Romans/Christianity).

An ayat in the Quran was revealed to protect her name. Now, that is something to think about.

Okay.

He,swas, whose life was to give us the good news, do we question his motives?

Yes. I cannot take something on blind acceptance. I would love to, but I thought through my belief in Christianity and came to the conclusion that I couldn't reasonably accept it. I didn't feel a religion based on human sacrifice was a healthy religion to follow. I've been given the impression that educating one's self in Islam is important. Why is this topic off-limits? I have no desire to talk anyone out of their beliefs, but I can't just say "okay fine". They may have had a wonderful relationship. They may have been the exception to the rule when it came to a man approaching old age and a 9 year old girl. But I'm not just going to accept something until I have all the facts. If that makes me a horrible person, I'll live with that.

What is fully grown? It is not 18 or 21. I find it amusing. I often used to tell my students about going off to war for the US. You are 18 years old. They won't let you drink, smoke cigarettes, and barely vote but they want you to take a bullet for them. Is that fully grown? I taught in a high school where a girl would go around parading that she was the only virgin in the school. She was one of 1000 odd girls. What is fully grown?

You're right, there is no magic number. But my 7 year old niece is certainly not mature enough to understand the concept of marriage. I don't care how different things were then, brain development hasn't changed that much over the years. And at 9 to understand the concept of intercourse? What is fully grown? Not a 6 or 9 year old, that's for sure. There are very immature 18/21 year old people, I know I wasn't fully ready then (even though a man I loved told me he wanted to get married and have 12 kids, I wasn't ready). So if someone who isn't fully grown in your eyes at 18 or 21, how can one be fully grown at 9: mentally, emotionally and certainly not physically.

And to be perfectly frank if you are questioning the character and nature of the Messenger of Allah I strongly suggest that you seek help from others to help you understand the beauty of this man.

I suppose I am. And I thought I was. When someone cries for help, do you inform them they need help and walk away? "Seek help"? Very kind.

How can a person call themselves Believers and question his motives?

And there it is. The Catholic woman said if I can't accept it all, then I should leave. Don't question anything. I don't worship a man. I'm interested in worshiping GOD. But, I'm glad you asked, Aapa. I think I have an answer for all of my questions now. Thank you.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
As'alaamu Alaikkum

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

First of all we should call " Assalamu allaicum" dear brother

I gave a general response to the salaams before. But khayran, no problem.

When I said "hadith" I meant it in its linguistic meaning which is speech, narration.Hadith terminology (Arabic: muṣṭalaḥ al-ḥadīth; مُصْطَلَحُ الحَدِيْث) is the body of terminology which specify the acceptability of the narrations, hadith, attributed to the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.s., as well as other early figures of religious significance.

Well, from what you mentioned before it seemed that you meant the share`ee term.

Regarding your confusion

Sorry, me believing that the mother of the believers, `Aa'ishah radiyAllaahu `anha, was 6 years old when she got married to the Prophet :saw2: is not a confusion alhamdulillaah. I would appreciate if you could avoid saying that I am confused.

According to onother opinion, which is calculated on the base of Asmaa Binth Abu Bakr raddiAllahu Anha ( sister of Aisha raddiAllahu Anha), Aisha RaddiAllahu Anha was nineteen years old when she got married for Allahs Messanger Mohammed sallahu alayha wa saalam.

Okay, whose opinion was it (from the scholars) that `Aa'ishah was 19 years old when she married to the Prophet :saw2:?

If you cannot bring anyone from the salaf stating such an opinion, nor from the scholars. Then any other 'modernistic' opinion has no place in Islaam.

This is based on narrations that Asmaa Binth Abu Bakr raddiAllahu anha was twenty-eight- year -old in the first year of Hijrah, and she was ten years older than Aisha raddiAllahu Anha, so by this narrations, she could have been between eighteen and ninteteen year years old when she got married for Prophet sallahu alahya wa saalam.

Which narrations state the above? Did you even take time out to read the article I attached in my first post?

There is a third view as well that Aisha raddiAllahu Anha was ten years old when she got engaged to Allahs messanger sallahu alayha wa saalam, and that she got married for him when she was between fourteen to fifteen years old.

Again, whose opinion is this?

May Allah forgive me if I said something wrong or incorrect.

May Allah guide us all.Ameen ya Rabby

Aameen

Brother, i opened the document and when i see the part below i felt uncomfortable,

"Thus, I allowed myself, after praying istikhara to write a rebuttal to this false accusation to clarify for laypeople Muslims this matter."

As if he is implying that by praying istikhara what he says afterwards are from Allah, so beleive in them without questioning.

I don't know how that implies anything what you said.

That is not the proper way to refute an allegation scientifically.

Why do we even need to refute this scientifically? What has this got to do with science?

it reminds me of sufi sheiks who claims to be in contact with Allah and talk to his massanger either in dreams or awake so they make themselves divine in the eyes of their followers.

I don't know what you're talking about. No one said such a thing directly nor indirectly.

JazaakAllahu khayraa al-Kashmiri. Btw check this out, (especially what Ibn Qayyim said, pretty interesting): http://islamqa.info/ar/ref/159220

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
In any case, her extreme youth is only seen as extreme due to changes in custom over time. In the first century A.D., day to day life was much harder and required one to (mentally) mature faster than we are now required to today, even in Islamic societies. For example, where I live it is quite common for a 25 year old to still be considered a "kid" because of how unseasoned in the skills of survival one may still be at that age, even though they are without question fully mature in the physical sense. People may even laugh at a 25 year old for seeking marriage. I think this is wrong.

What I mean to say from this is that the issue of Aisha's age should not be considered an issue.

You nailed it brother.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Well, from what you mentioned before it seemed that you meant the share`ee term.

I have only mentioned term Hadeeth and I have nowhere mentioned that I meant on share`ee term as you have said. Please dear brother do not base your conclusions on your personal opinions.

Sorry, me believing that the mother of the believers, `Aa'ishah radiyAllaahu `anha, was 6 years old when she got married to the Prophet :saw2: is not a confusion alhamdulillaah. I would appreciate if you could avoid saying that I am confused.

I have never said or called you confused Astagfirullah,and please brother do not accuse me or anyone else without knowing ones words and intentions, because we all be held acountable and will respond to Allah for every our word InshAllah.

Okay, whose opinion was it (from the scholars) that `Aa'ishah was 19 years old when she married to the Prophet :saw2:?

If you cannot bring anyone from the salaf stating such an opinion, nor from the scholars. Then any other 'modernistic' opinion has no place in Islaam.

Are you trying to say that I am saying some " modernistic" opinion.? Astagfirullah brother for your words. I do not even understand on whom do you mean when do you say Salaf Schoolars, because I guess in the past there where many Salaf Schoolars who hold diffrent opinion about ages of Aisha raddiAllahu Anha. And as Muslim I beliave that those opinions may also be more truthfull Alhamdulillah, because I believe to Allah and I believe to my Prophet Mohammed sallahu alahya wa saalam, that he been Messanger of Allah could not marry litlle girl Astagfirullah. And Allah knows the best.

Which narrations state the above? Did you even take time out to read the article I attached in my first post?

Again, whose opinion is this?

I am not so much knowledgable Alhamdulillah that I could share any narrations, like I guess nooone of us is enough knowledgable to prove that his opinion about ages of Aisha raddiAllahu Anhu is the truthfull one.

Dear brother, sister who have posted this article have said te same like me. Please read again her post and as well thread of brother " Salahdin" InshAllah where he shared the thread here on TTI about Aisha raddiAllahu Anha and where it has been said that Aisha r.a was between fourteen to fifteen years old when she got married to our Prophet sallahu alahya wa saalam. That means that we have diffrent opinions, and Alhamdulilah any of these opinion is not excluded, as any of these opinion can be truthfull one.

This is the link of the thread that brother Salahdin shared:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85374

And Allah knows the best.

May Allah forgive me if I said anyone wrong. It has not been my intention.

May Allah guide us all.Ameen ya Rabby

:wasalam:

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum

I pray that the whispers of sheitan dont reach to anyones hearts or affect the true faith and the trust that our Prophet, peace be upon him, lived a role model life according to the teachings of Allah only.

We have to understand that our man-made rules do not apply to Allah, He is the Most Wise and in His wisdom He decided when and for how much time Prophet Mohamed, peace be upon him, should stay with Aisha (ra).

My mom was barely 17 years old when she married my father, wich was almost 30, but she was as mature as him and noone said the opposite, Allah knows better. But for me or my sister, the age 17 i am sure was not fit for marriage...we are all different and the enviroments we live in build our character.

Remember we are all tested, dont let the young age of Aisha stop you to die as muslim and reach Heaven, inchallah.

Allah said:
“And Allah was never to allow you to see the unseen.” [Aal-Imraan: 179]
"And warn therewith those who fear that they will be gathered before their Lord, when there will neither be a protector nor an intercessor for them besides Him, so that they may fear Allah and keep their duty to Him.''
(6:51)

Thauban

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Are you insinuating that I am a Kaafir or something? For the person who says or believes that the Prophet :saw2: was a hypocrite, he is a Kaafir.

Where in this thread did I directly or indirectly say such a blashemeous thing!

I find it quite offensive you say such a thing. If you want to discuss something, stop accusing people of things they never said and learn to have a civilised discussion.

As'alaamu Alaikkum

Neither am i insinuating nor accusing anybody of kufr, God forbid. May be I should have chosen my words more carefully and I apologise wholeheartedly if I have offended or insinuated. What I'm trying to say here is that the hadiths are just hearsay and can be prone to mistakes as these were handed down to human beings and we all make mistakes. You are of the opinion, however, that the hadiths are perfect just because somebody classed them as sahih. I on the other hand believe that there are contradictions.

I submit that the hadiths are a goldmine of information that has been handed down to believers. Without these hadiths and sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) Islam would not be the Islam that is today, practised most probably as by the first generation of believers Alhamdulilah. However, people like you are scared to admit that there are mistakes in these hadiths because you believe that Islam would crumble and people like you need to hold it together. The reality is that Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala Himself is holding this religion together Alhamdulilah.

May Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala guide us all from error and from bringing innovations to His religion Ameen.