Abaya

Hoorpari

assalaam o alaikum brothers and sisters,

i would like to ask u a question on womens clothing...
do u think its obligatory that a woman wears abaya, jilbaab or some loose long shirt with a long skirt... or do u think its allowed for a woman to wear pants with a long shirt...probably go for the pakistani/indian dressing code e.g. shalwar kameez?

my family doesnt like it if i wear abaya... and for everything bad that happens they tell me its the abayas fault LOL...
but i think for myself atleast that this is the dressing code a muslimah should go for.. but could anyone give me any evidence to prove which dress code is best? :)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2::shake:

i would't say abaya is important:redface:......but its the best.:D
u c women also wear a long chadar.but its pretty hard to handle...........:(
inshort u should wear clothes which donot expose ur beauty..........and the clothes itself must not call for ppl attention.

our shalwar qameez is a very very good dress but.but not the skin tight ones ppl these days wear.

u can wear what ever u like in front of ur mahraams but apart from them u choose ur clothing which passes the islamic conditions...........
hope it helps...............

P.S for get abt wat the ppl say:rolleyes:.u do it for Allah not them.so stay firm.:cool:

Hoorpari

lol shalwar kameez nowadays...i dont see it as an islamic dress anymore..lol... i remember last time i went to the tailor and he was shocked that i wanted to have my kameez with full sleeves...LOL..and he was literally telling me that the nobody asks for full sleeves in pk anymore...he is used to women asking for sleeveless and capris..lol... that was a funny experience..i felt like im totally out of place although im the one who grew up in europe..lol...

anyways the question is what about the legs? when u were long shirts but still non-mahram guys can see ur legs when u wear a pant...im not sure if this is islamically allowed :S

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
... and for everything bad that happens they tell me its the abayas fault LOL...

i dont know whether i should laugh at ur parents comments ^^ or not. :)

anyways sister, the hijab is covering everything (face and hands can be seen
if no fitnah). clothes to be loose, not transparent, simple ones.

if ur salwar-kameez is not body-hugging and dupatta is not transparent (ie. fulfilling the above conditions)..its ok inshallah.

but in the mean time, u can keep advicing ur family on islamic rules regarding benefits of abaya. i usually tell ppl about Allah being our Lord and His blessings, paradise, hell, shortness of this life. it really helps in softening the heart and making it easy to accept Allah's laws alhamdulillah.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
assalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Firs before anything, I am not a scholar. :)

The dress code of Muslim women is very clear and known.

1) It should not be like a water glass which we can see inside.

2) It should be loose so that others will not see the shapes of body.

3) It should cover Aurah. (At least all the parts except face and hands. But the best is to cover whole body.)

4) It should not imitate cloths of men.

It is our duty to convince our parents on the Shi'aars of Islam like proper Hijab, Beard, prevention from intermingling with opposite sex etc etc. Even if our parents ask and force us to anything which Islam prohibits, we have to deny it politely. Allah says, "Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor." Surah Al Isra (17:23).

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
ummm...see sister in those times of prophet muhammad (s.a.w) women used to wear 1 long piece cloth, that cover the whole body.so for this people have made abaya....
but its not obligatory, but its good....
you can wear long shirts,and skirts, or pants ,(but they should be loose)..
and they shouldnt be attractive, and transparent as you know....
i hope you got it...

zuhra azemi

salamu alaykum sister. i am a sister from kosovo maybe you know where it is what is true and its in Kur'an it says that we must wear a jilbaab and a abaya of course even if you will have problems it is prohibited to wear another way of clothings so i thing that after some time your family will get use to it so don't beafraid of anything becouse Allah will help you inshaAllah. i have problems to, in my school and i wear only black but i continued that way of wearing and elhamdulilah i don't have any problems now becouse they see me like that every day at school and they know that i wont wear anything else,so i hope that Allah will protect from those people and help from your family.

:salam2:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
I'm not a scholar and I'm not giving my own fatwa ,but I personally follow the opinion that woman should wear outergarment ,when going out ..
For me personally no pants or salwar kameez when out ..I cannot imagine that sahabiyat would be wearing the clothes that nowdays we Muslimahs wear ,please no offence sisters,but jeans? Before going out think ,what would Aisha (RA) say about your dress ,hijab if she saw you or what would the Prophet ,peace be upon him say ..
No offence to anyone ,its my personal opinion and I dont mean to be harsh ..We all learning and nobody is perfect ..

I hope this information will be beneficial to all of us

What does the Shari'a say about the garment called "jilbab"?

In the Quran, Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 (33:59) says:

Ya ayyuha an-Nabiyy qul li azwajika wa banatika wa nisa al-mu'minin yudnina alayhinna min jalabib hinna; dhalika adna an yu'rafna fa laa yu'dhayn. Wa kana Allahu Ghafur Rahim

O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their JALABIB close around them; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.

The word "jalabib" is the plural of "jilbab". Clearly, this ayah states a command for Muslim women to wear a garment which Allah SWT has called "jilbab".

Beyond this, the hadiths record how the sahabiyat (rAa) went about obeying Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 when it was revealed:

Sunan Abu Dawud Book 32 #4090. Narrated Umm Salama, Umm al-Mu'minin: When the verse, "That they should draw their jalabib close around them" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing jalabib.

In case there is any confusion about how the Muslim sister is supposed to go about obeying Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59, this hadith shows that the correct way to obey it is to wear the garment called "jilbab", since that is what the sahabiyat (rAa) did. Note that they did not hesitate or delay or make excuses: when they were told by Allah SWT to wear the garment called "jilbab", they did, right away.

And there is more even than this. Some of the women remained in seclusion and never went out so that they did not own the garment called "jilbab". The hadiths record that the Prophet (sAas) commanded the women to come out for the Eid gathering, and what he said about the issue of the garment called "jilbab":

Sahih Bukhari Book 8 #347. Narrated Umm Atiyya: We were ordered to bring out our menstruating women and screened women to the religious gatherings and invocation of the Muslims on the two Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from the musalla. A woman asked, "O Messenger of Allah! What about one who does not have a jilbab?". He said, "Let her borrow the jilbab of her companion".

My dear sisters, surely the meaning of this is clear enough to you. If it were halal for a sister to go outdoors without the garment called "jilbab", why didn't the Prophet (sAas) allow the women to do this? But instead, he told them that they must find the garment called "jilbab" to wear, even if they had to borrow one from a friend. The rule is plain: it is a disobedience of Allah SWT and of His messenger for a woman to go outdoors if she is not wearing the garment called "jilbab". Period. I really do not see any other meaning from Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 or from these hadiths. Do you?

waaleikum salam

source : http://www.muhajabah.com/jilbab.htm

lol shalwar kameez nowadays...i dont see it as an islamic dress anymore..lol... i remember last time i went to the tailor and he was shocked that i wanted to have my kameez with full sleeves...LOL..and he was literally telling me that the nobody asks for full sleeves in pk anymore...he is used to women asking for sleeveless and capris..lol... that was a funny experience..i felt like im totally out of place although im the one who grew up in europe..lol...

anyways the question is what about the legs? when u were long shirts but still non-mahram guys can see ur legs when u wear a pant...im not sure if this is islamically allowed :S

salam alaykum

yeah ur rite...the clothes the women wear nowadays in pakistan *high class* areas is totally unislamic.......i mean the salwars are above the ankles which is what men should b doing but men wear their pants below their ankles and also do this *low down* fashion nowadays............I THINK INFACT I AM SO SURE THEY HAVE INFERIORITY COMPLEX BECAUSE OF WATCHING TV