asking a doubt...

Iqrah

i just joined this forum a few days ago... so i wish to ask what's your views about playing games? even though i was muslim by birth, i played games all my life and just a few weeks ago i thought about what i was doing... As the previous government didn't much discuss about islamic issues here, i didn't know much about islam... but as the government changed, lots of islamic talks has been going on here :ma: and my knowledge about islam grew... so i just wanted to ask about playing games (i havn't played any games for about a month)... Feel free to reply..

AE-L

:salam2:

Playing games or playing Video games? If video games I can tell you my view of it.

Iqrah

you can tell your view about both :)... at that time, i was talking about video games.. like on Playstation Portable, cuz i have one but now i am using that to listen to Islamic Nasheeds and watching videos of islamic talks etc....

Iqrah

btw, adding something to the previous post.... whats your opinion on playing games with humans or living creatures in it and which doesn't have any living things (like some car racing games)?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi my dear young brother,

Welcome to TurnToIslam first of all :)

On to your question, I would like to advise you from my personal experience first. Then I will post the ruling (fatwa) that I found on this topic.

Akhi, I can understand that your friends in your age group are all playing these video games and it is a wonderful pastime for them. They will also talk with you often about how awesome this new game is or how cool the graphics on that game is.

Before you get sold on their idea of how 'cool' and 'awesome' it is, just think what benefit does this 'hobby' give me ? You will hardly come up with a positive benefit. Car racing or first person shooting game hardly have any benefit. Nor do they relax the mind. And it is a known fact that you 'get hooked on them' (or get addicted to them) quite easily.

After playing these games, you feel lethargic. Your eyes feel tired to do any further studies or reading. Often times, it makes you irritated on your parents and fellow siblings. In addition, you are sitting in one position for hours on end and this is bad for your health (both for your posture and for your heart).

It is better to not play these games for this reason and this is my personal advice. Rather develop an interest in an activity where you play a sport physically. There are plenty benefits of it. I would mention some.

1) Playing an actual game is more fun and relaxing.
2) You are exercising your body. This is good for your body joints and heart.
3) You are in taking fresh air. You can come back, take a shower and can do some real good studying or concentrate on another activity.

Also, I have noticed people playing video games so engrossed in it that they pay no attention to praying Salah on time or at all. This is a major sin and we should avoid any and all activities that prevent us from our religious duties.

My next post will contain ruling from Islam QA, which contains rulings from Islamic scholars.

I hope this post benefited you, my young brother. :)

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Fatwa on this topic :-

Praise be to Allaah and peace be upon the Messenger of Allaah.

The one who looks at these games will see that they are based on mental skills and individual reactions or decisions. These games are of various types, with many aspects. Some of them take the form of illusionary battles which train a person in what to do in similar circumstances [in real life]; some are based on being alert so as to save oneself from danger; fighting enemies and destroying targets; planning; having adventures; finding the way out of a labyrinth; escaping from wild beasts; racing cars, planes, etc.; overcoming obstacles; searching for treasure. Some games increase knowledge and enhance one’s interests, such as games that involve taking things apart and putting them back together, jigsaw puzzles, building things, colouring, and shading and lighting.

The shar'i ruling:

Islam does not forbid leisure or having fun in permissible ways. The basic rule concerning these games is that they are permissible so long as they do not get in the way of obligatory duties such as establishing prayer [i.e., praying properly and on time] and honouring one’s parents, and so long as they do not include anything that is haraam. There are, however, many haraam elements in these games, such as the following:

Games which depict wars between the people of this world (“good guys”) and people from the sky (“bad guys”), with all its implications of accusations against Allaah, may He be glorified, or the noble angels.

Games which involve sanctifying the cross or passing over or by it to gain strength, to bring one back to life or the give the player extra “lives” and so on. Also, games which are used for designing birthday cards as in Christian culture are also forbidden.

Games which approve of witchcraft/magic, and which glorify witches/magicians/sorcerers, etc.

Games which are based on hatred of Islam and Muslims, like the game in which a player gets 100 points if he hits Makkah, 50 points if he hits Baghdaad, and so on.

Games that glorify the kuffaar and show pride in belonging to them, like games in which if a player chooses an army belonging to a kaafir state he becomes strong, and if he chooses an army belonging to an Arab state he becomes weak. Also, games which teach a child to admire kaafir sports clubs and the names of kaafir players.

Games that include depictions of nudity, and some games that allow the winner to see a *!*!*!*!ographic picture; games that corrupt morals, such as games where the idea is to run away with a girlfriend from the bad guys or a dragon.

Games based on ideas of gambling.

Music and other things that are known to be forbidden in Islam.

Physical harm, such as damage to the eyes and nervous system; harmful effects of game sounds on the ears. Modern studies have shown that these games may be addictive and harmful to the nervous system, as well as causing stress and nervous tension in children.

Making children get used to violence and criminality, and teaching them to take killing and murder lightly, as in the famous “Doom” game.

Corrupting children’s sense of reality by teaching them about a world of illusions and impossible things, such as coming back from the dead, supernatural powers that do not really exist, images of space aliens, and so on.

We have gone into details about some of the ideological dangers and things that are prohibited by Islam because many fathers and mothers do not pay attention to these things, and they bring these games for their children and let them play with them.

We should also point out that it is not permissible to compete for prizes in playing these electronic games, even if the game itself is permissible, because they are not a means of jihaad, and they do not help you develop strength for jihaad.

(al-Musaabaqaat wa Ahkaamuhaa fi’l-Sharee’ah al-Islaamiyyah by Dr, Sa’d al-Shathri).

Link : http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2898

With regard to the Playstation and its disks, they come under the same ruling as mentioned above. It is permissible to sell them to those whom you think will most likely use them for permissible purposes, and it is haraam to sell them to those whom you think will most likely use them for haraam purposes.

Many people nowadays use them for haraam purposes, and instead of leisure being something to which a person turns occasionally, leisure has become the main thing for many people, and they spend a lot of their time, money and energy on playing these kinds of games, and going to clubs and swimming pools, travelling, sitting with friends, going on trips, etc.

Many of those who use the Playstation and similar games miss prayers because of them, and get distracted from many of their religious and worldly interests, which makes us certain that such things are forbidden.

But for those who can put things in their proper place, and play these games for a little while as a form of leisure, but do not miss any of their duties or worldly or religious interests because of them, whilst ensuring that the games they play are free of evils such as music and pictures of naked women, etc, then there is no sin in that, in sha Allaah.

Link : http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/39744

Iqrah

salaamu alaikum...

i guess in short, nowadays games are haram... almost all has music... or an extra life... guess i have to completely stop gaming (i mean like shooter games or adventure).. thanks for the reply... i will ask the next question a bit later... jazaakallah khairan for sharing this info...

Iqrah

salaamu alaikum...

i guess in short, nowadays games are haram... almost all has music... or an extra life... guess i have to completely stop gaming (i mean like shooter games or adventure).. thanks for the reply... i will ask the next question a bit later... jazaakallah khairan for sharing this info...

these questions will be asked on another thread i started...

AE-L

Good replies but this topic also remind me of myself, playing Video games for about 5 or 6 hours straight back in my Young days. Very unhealthy I know.

Alhamdulillah now I am on track with my regular Prayers thanks to someone.

Yeah, it is better to stop playing but your choice though.

Sorry late :)

mrahim

PLAYING GAMES

i just joined this forum a few days ago... so i wish to ask what's your views about playing games? even though i was muslim by birth, i played games all my life and just a few weeks ago i thought about what i was doing... As the previous government didn't much discuss about islamic issues here, i didn't know much about islam... but as the government changed, lots of islamic talks has been going on here :ma: and my knowledge about islam grew... so i just wanted to ask about playing games (i havn't played any games for about a month)... Feel free to reply..

The answer is in the QURAN you can refer to the story of SOLOMON with his horses where he become to obsess with the horses and almost forget his duty towards GOD.

ISLAM is not a rigid religion, we are free to do many things but with proper guidelines and as being commanded by GOD.

MASTER THE QURAN and we can find all the answers we want there.

TQ AND GOD BLESS