Bangladesh madrasahs fight stigma

hafeezanwar

Bangladesh madrasahs fight stigma

Religious schools, known as Qawmi madrasahs, have long served Bangladeshis. But now they have to fight off attempts, some by even their own government, to project them as breeding grounds for extremism.

"The Awami League government has been campaigning against Qawmi madrasah education system using false accusations," Mufti Fazlul Haque Aminee, principal of Lalbag Jamia Qurania Arabia, the oldest Qawmi madrasah in Bangladesh, told.

"We do not tolerate any conspiracy against Qawmi madrasah education system."

Last month, police raided a Qawmi school owned by a British-based charity called Green Crescent in the remote island of Bhola.

Police said they seized weapons, explosive devices and materials urging Muslims to take up arms. Police chiefs across Muslim-majority Asian country have been given orders to keep watchful eyes on all Qawmi madrasahs as potential breeding grounds for terrorists and militant groups.

The government also accuses Qawmi madrasahs of lacking the tools of modern education.

"Qawmi Madrasah education system and syllabus should be changed and modernized to include science and modern subjects," Information Minister Abul Kalam Azad told.

He added that Qawmi madrasah students need more on modern technology in order to get better employment opportunities.

There are around 4 million students in about 15,000 Qawmi Islamic schools across Bangladesh, the world third-largest Muslim-majority country with a population of some 148 million.

Like in many other countries across the region, madrasahs are funded through zakah, donations and contributions from individuals or local and international charities.

Propaganda

But madrasah officials and students condemn the accusations as false propaganda tainting their educational institutions, which follow the Deoband school of thought.

"Qawmi madrasahs are not involved in militancy or any other terrorist activity," Maulana Abdul Jabber, Secretary General of Bangladesh Qawmi Madrasah Education Board, told.

"We are fighting against any kinds of militancy."

Qawmi madrasahs is one of three types of Islamic schools operating in the Asian Muslim country.

Religion-based madrasah education has long been going side by side with the general education sector.

Tens of thousands of students graduate from madrasahs every year and usually work as imams or teachers at nominally secular schools.

"There are neither militants nor militancy training in Qawmi madrasah," insists Abu Huraira, a student of a Dhaka Qawmi madrasah.

"This Qawmi madrasah system has been established by leading ulama with the help and support of Muslims," says Jashim Uddin Sarker of the Bangladesh Jammat Islami party.

"This education system was only dedicated for making Islamic experts in Bangladesh over the past century."

-Agencies

jundulah

do not let them chage you my brothers in that region they are now smearing the basis of our faith in order to make us like them or even worse keep studying at the beautiful madarasahs' after all that is the real knowledge.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
prophet Muhammed (saws) said that a time will come when folowing Islam will be like holding burning coals in hand.

and Islam will become strange, so give glad tidings of those strangers.

its a conspiracy of disbelievers and hypocrites to weaken Islam.
if u are against alcohol, illegal sex and lies..u r termed as fanatic.
if u wear hijab and speak for jihaad, u r called extemist.

but we have keep following Allah's way (insha'allah), bcoz our goal is Allah's pleasure and His paradise.

may Allah help us all.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
:salam2:

Woah! Allahu Akbar wa Mashalllah that I've been able to see many of my Ikhwan of Ahl as Sunnah in Bangladesh, Allahu Akbar. To tell everyone the truth, I'm "North Pakistani" and Persian in my behavior, but not in my lineage (not that I know of, anyway). My parents are actually from Bangladesh, but I HATE Bangladesh (like how I hate PAKISTAN, and YES I DID say this), and I hate that stupid Secular culture (also the stupid secular/modern Pakistani culture). But even so, I love my Brethen of brothers and sisters of Ahl as Sunnah wa al Jamaat from Bangladesh (and Pakistan), and I'm with my South Asian brothers and sisters who submit fully in al Islam to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla (but if it's any "Islamic Heritage/Customs" that I'm looking for, I find that a lot in my brothers of Pakistan and Persia, instead of Bangladesh and Modern day Pakistan, because their motive isn't Islam anymore, but it's acting like total Secular fools).

And Inshallah, ONE DAY there will be an uprise being led in Bangladesh to RID the DIRT and FILTH that has been made upon this Destroyed Land, and bring ISLAM and the SUNNAH of Rasulallah (SAW) to SPREAD throughout the country, and INSHALLAH, our beloved brothers and sisters in Pakistan will also succeed to rid the "stan" from it's "stain" (of Secular Filth).

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
^ insha'allah soon brother, the party of Allah will take over the world to bring Islam, peace and justice