Can we do wudhu with a water spray bottle?

Sister Zohra

Assalamu Alaikum,

Insha'Allah someone else will post a more knowledgeable answer but if you think about it, why not? It's probably more time consuming but if you have enough water to run down (as in enough to make wet) the parts of body to wash, you may be able to waste less water using a spray gun.

But this is just answer formed from my reasoning...

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
I don't see reasons to say this is not allowed, yesterday I heard an ustaz was telling that wudhu is to wash with water, not spraying. I could not agree with him but not sure whether there is any ruling about it. Hope can get more answers from brothers and sisters.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

Is there not a hadeeth about a woman who asked too many questions and the Prophet( may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) told her not to question too much.

We know in dire circumstances dirt is permissible. We are told to conserve water. Sometimes we can use a waterbottle.

The answer lies in converting the water amount that the was employed in the prophetic times to what we use today. How much water did he use. Does that make sense?

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
I agree, but what asking too many question got to do here? Sorry I don't get it.

By the way, I understand that we take wudhu to cleanse ourselves from impurity, in other word it is not doing istinja.. if there is najis on our body, we shall do istinja not wudhu. So I don't see why we can't use water spray for wudhu since the objective is to purify not cleaning.

Sister Zohra

I agree, but what asking too many question got to do here? Sorry I don't get it.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Unfortunately I didn't find the hadith Aapa was talking about but maybe this ahadith can clarify:

-On the authority of Abu Hurairah, who said : I heared the messenger of Allah say :

"What I have forbidden to you, avoid; what I have ordered you [to do], do as much of it as you can. It was only their excessive questioning and their disagreeing with their prophets that destroyed those who were before you."

related by Bukhari and Muslim

-It was narrated that al-Mugheerah ibn Shu’bah said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has forbidden you to disobey your mothers, to bury your daughters alive, to not pay the rights of others and to beg from others. And He dislikes gossip for you, asking too many questions, and wasting money.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2231.

-On the authority of Al-Numan bin Basheer, who said : I heared the messenger of Allah say :

"That which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain and between the two of them are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honor, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allah's sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased. Truly it is the heart."

narrated by Bukhari and Muslim

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baarakaatuh,

Brother ask here. The shuyook and students of knowledge there can assist and guide you better.

It'll probably be Shaykh Ayman.

Murad206

La ilaha illa-Allah.
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh maghfiratuh. Of course you can, as a matter of fact I think its even better because your being modest, and that's what the Prophet Muhammad sall'Allahu alayhi wasallam liked. But you wont be able to get much water with the top on unless you keep spraying, so just take the top off when your cleaning your mouth and nose.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Sister Zohra, thank you for reminding me the hadith. When the rules is crystal clear we should not be asking too many, I'm clear on that.

Sister "Seeking Allah's mercy", thank you for the link. I shall try ask here inshAllah.

Brother Murad206, agreed with you. This ustaz had confused me.

Aziboy

Banned
Assalam Alaykum,
This is not a question of concern brother. So far you are using water in the spray bottle, there must not be any problem.
Jazak Allahu Khair

John Smith

Sometimes we ask questions where no answer exist.

Wudu is done by using water,wether its in a normal wudu circumstances or showered or sparyed,you are using water to do the act,thats what matters most.

strive-may-i

:salam2:

From how I grasp, There is a very subtle point here... When we do wuzu, its necessary that the medium "water/mud" should 'flow and drain'/'separate' from skin , leaving behind the skin clean.....

If the spray provides enough water to cause a flow down the wuzu parts then it should be fine. But if its merely going to wet the skin, then no...

Is not a jet of water /spray messy??

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

If the spray provides enough water to cause a flow down the wuzu parts then it should be fine. But if its merely going to wet the skin, then no...
QUOTE]

If it is your hands, you just need to spray from fingers to your elbow. The purpose we are required to take wudhu is to purify your wudhu parts, is not to wash but to purify. As long as you manage to wet the wudhu parts, your wudhu is valid. Washing will require a lot of water, wudhu is not. This is what I understand the objective of wudhu.

strive-may-i

Whats the intention behind using a water spray bottle? A health reason? swollen skin? saving water?? Whats the quantity of water?

Hmm... two drops of water when they join, are all set to flow... well anyways, its subtle. Sometimes more water is needed, to clean the dirt, grease etc.. A spray would possibly leave a dry spot... especially forearms, foot, between toes, web of fingers... its subtle!

The old way of performing ablution, by taking handful of water is still the best, saves a lot of water too... Some well versed manage it with around 500-1000ml+ of water, with water dripping (leaving the skin behind wet, shining and clean) ... !!! . I need around a 1500ml.