Christian Missionaries are getting pathetic

Okay, I tried to write a response but I accidentally hit the "enter" key so I don't know where it went. I appologize if it shows up as a duplicate!

I read the first two chapters of "Mere Christianity" late last night. I am a little fuzzy about the "Q" theory and I think I will have to read this maybe a couple of more times before I understand what he is trying to say. My brain hurt last night with trying to take it all in!

Today, I have two questions for anyone listening:
1) Why do reverts to Islam change their Western names for Arabic names? Is this a requirement of Islam? (My name honors my grandfather who passed away when my mother was pregnant with me - I kinda like it).
2) Jesus said that it was not necessary to pray to God for things that we want/need as our Father knows before we even ask. He then went on to say "pray in this wise" and prayed what is referred to in Christian belief as "The Lord's Prayer". (I personally believe that he did not mean for us to recite those exact words to God but was telling us that this is the MANNER in which we should pray.) The reason I am asking this is that I am really in need of help with my health right now and have prayed everyday but not sure if I should be just praising God or begging for help? What does Islam teach? Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Nighean

Hello Nighean,

I have not personally looked at the attachment, but if I get a chance I will inshallah download it and read it. I don't even know what the "Q" theory is. I've never heard of this.

With regards to your two questions, I'd like to refer you to these:

1) http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544938 http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...nglish-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaEAskTheScholar
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=372&ln=eng&txt=change name

Some examples of Good Muslim names:

http://www.names4muslims.com/

2) With regards to the Lords Prayer, please watch this by Khalid Yasin:

[yt]J2J2sF476ok[/yt]

Remember that God is the All Knower, Most Forgiving, Most Merciful to His slave. You can make your prayers in any language. There are recommended prayers to recite. I pray that you stay in good health.

Sickness is actually a blessing from Allah swt on His faithful servant. It's a test of patience for those who don't complain. It's a period of expiation (for his/her sins) and repose. This could be a test to raise your status and increase your rewards.

“How marvelous is the affair of the believer, for all his affairs are good, and that does not apply to anyone except the believer. If something good happens to him he gives thanks for it and that is good for him. If something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience and that is good for him.” (Hadith by Muslim, #2999)

It's a win-win situation for the believer.

nighean

Thank you brother for your reply. I saw this second video the other day when you sent it. My question was not so much about the Lord's prayer but about asking for things when God already knows our needs. Should a true believer just worship and praise God - knowing that he will take care of our needs or, when the need arises, should one ask for things that we want/need?

nighean

Thanks for this. Also, have a look at the book "Mere Christianity". Read the first two chapters explaining "Q" and then explain it to me! I mean I kinda got that he thinks that there is a missing document that explains things but, beyond that, he lost me.

michellebah

We know Easter Bunnies and chocolate and eggs have nothing to do with the reason for the holiday but somebody thought of it so that is why it is just a theme like to go with the holiday thats all .

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Hello Nighean !
I read the first two chapters of "Mere Christianity" late last night. I am a little fuzzy about the "Q" theory and I think I will have to read this maybe a couple of more times before I understand what he is trying to say. My brain hurt last night with trying to take it all in!
I am sorry that the book left you fuzzy. I will inshaAllah write something about the Q in the end of this post but first I would like to answer your other 2 questions.
1) Why do reverts to Islam change their Western names for Arabic names? Is this a requirement of Islam? (My name honors my grandfather who passed away when my mother was pregnant with me - I kinda like it).
As for your name, you dont have to change it. It is not a requirement unless it is a name with a bad meaning or name of some god or godess.
2) Jesus said that it was not necessary to pray to God for things that we want/need as our Father knows before we even ask. He then went on to say "pray in this wise" and prayed what is referred to in Christian belief as "The Lord's Prayer".
There are several instances in the Gospels that tell us by the action of Jesus that we must pray to God even when he knows what we want. Though God is all knowing but your prayers to him are to say that you depend upon him and you look upto no one else except him as he is the one who can give you what you need.
39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
42He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be
done.”
44So he left them and went away once more and prayed
the third time, saying the same thing
Matthew
15Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. 16But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
31“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. 32But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”
Luke
21Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
41“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
From the quotes above we can conclude that Jesus loved to pray to God as all other messengers of God did. What we can understand from it is that Jesus stopped his followers from praying like Pagans. As what you asked comes from this portion of Matthew.
7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
It is clear from the above verses that he did not stop them from praying rather he commanded them to pray by saying "And when you pray" what he stopped them from is imitating the Pagans.

Now what does Islam says about praying.

Allah says in the Quran,
And seek help in patience and As-Salât (the prayer)
and
And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright.[] (186)
Invoke your Lord with humility and in secret. He likes not the aggressors. (55)
For Him (Allah alone) is prayer in Truth: any others that they call upon besides Him hear them no more than if they were to stretch forth their hands for water to reach their mouth but it reaches them not: for the prayer of those without Faith is nothing but (futile) wandering (in the mind). (14)
Supplication is in fact not only the spontaneous outpourings of man's heart before his Lord, but it is an expression of his sense of nearness to Him, of His Might and Power, of his confidence in His mercy, grace and blessings.
The Prophet (may peace be upon him) was a great believer in supplication and prayer. He made supplications to his Lord with zeal and fervour, rarely to be found in the religious literature of the world. One who cares to read them cannot but be overwhelmed with the depth of feelings with which the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) approaches his Lord, his intense love for the Great Master, his deep faith in His unbounded Favours, his unshakeable confidence in His Divine Mercy and unflinching faith in His Might and Power, and his sense of deep humility before Him.
While the expression of dependence and trust is in reality a prerequisite of supplication in Islam, it covers the whole range of human life with all its needs, longings and problems.Supplication finds expression in a deep and urgent longing for self preservation and deliverance from the oppressive situation, forgiveness of sins, elevation of the soul, goodness of the worldly life and that of the Hereafter. This consciousness of one's absolute dependence upon Him, which pervades the entire stock of the Prophet's (may peace be upon him) supplications, shows man's attitude of perfect resignation before the Mighty Will of the Master, but this resignation has nothing of the spirit of despondence and despair in it; it rather illuminates hope out of conviction that the Being Who is the Lord of man's fate can also help him and save him even in the most trying circumstances.

Hope this helps

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Sorry I said in the above post that I will write something about Q in the end of the post but then after finishing that post I felt that it has become lengthy and decided to write about "Q" in a separate post.

Actually he has written about two types of Gospels namely,
1. Sayings Gospel and
2. Narrative Gospels

So to understand it well what he is trying to say, we need to first understand the difference between the two.
I will copy here what he wrote.
Of course, this book relies to a certain extent on my own Biblical interpretation and arguments. But you should understand that, for the purposes of consistency, historical authenticity, and clarity, this bookis different from other Islamic assessments of the Gospels. This book relies primarily on a very narrowly defined group of verses, verses that are not to be found in the Gospel of John or in any of the Epistles. So when a thoughtful Christian asks, 'Why do you prefer verse X over verse Y?' the answer can be a clear one: 'Because responsible scholars believe verse X to be older in derivation, and therefore more likely to be authentic.'

The verses in question, known as Q verses, are the passages many of today's scholars believe to be the earliest surviving expression of the oral tradition of sayings attributed to Jesus.

Make no mistake: This is your father's (and grand-father's, and great-grandfather's) New Testament. Yet the focus here is on Gospel verses that were, in all probability, compiled long before the text surrounding them was.

The remnants of a lost, but identifiable, 'sayings gospel' called Q (from the German Quelle, or 'source') do appear in Matthew and Luke.
What, you may ask, was a 'sayings gospel'? This was, scholars believe, an ancient document consisting of instructions attributed to Jesus, 'sayings' that generally lack narrative material.

A sayings gospel would have carried material that eventually found its way into the Gospels we are familiar with - but a sayings gospel would have made no attempt to tell the life story of Jesus.

You dont have to read the book if you don't feel like but if you do read it then read it till the end :SMILY259:

nighean

Now things are a LITTLE bit clearer. So, basically, Q was a document that someone, perhaps an earlier follower of Jesus, decided to write so that the list of sayings wouldn't be lost. Then later, perhaps forty-some years after Jesus was gone, his life story from oral tradition was added to these writings. Is that what is being said here? How can we know which sayings are the earliest and which ones were added later. In the fourth century, the early church leaders got together at the Council of Nicea and decided which books to keep and which one to get rid of but the biggest topic of discussion was whether or not he was the son of God; - or - The same as god; - or a most perfect creation (but a creation made BY God) and, therefore, not a God. This was called the Arian constroversy as the main leader of this group was named Arius. I am MOST DEFINITELY SURE that if you walked down any street in America less than 0.0001% of people professing to follow the Christian faith would not know this information as Christians are taught that the entire gospel is the book of GOD - like it was carved with his finger in clay. These are the roots that I want to learn about for my faith but also from a historical aspect. I am researcing and learning so much so fast and its so fascinating!!
Not to change the subject, but tonight in the grocery store I met a family from Yemen. Now this may not sound like anything out of the ordinary but it is by the fact that I live in the middle of NO WHERE, USA. I mean I was at Wal-Mart which is the Thursday night hangout for local farm families as there is nothing else exciting to do within a 100 mile radius. I chatted with them for a bit and it was very pleasant but wierd to see where I live.

Nighean

Bluegazer

Hello Nighean,

I occasionally heard of the theory of a Q Gospel. I never really read about in until I began reading the book Beyond Mere Christianity [which brother Mohsin has posted as an attachment].

I understood it as follows:

The Gospel of Mark [according to Biblical scholars] is the oldest of the four canonical Gospels. The Gospels of Matthew and Luke took some passages from the Gospel of Mark.

However, there also appear in Matthew and Luke nearly identical passages that are not found in Mark. That means that there's a common source that both these Gospels drew from. This common source is named "Q" by Biblical scholars.

Here's the explanation from page 25 of the book Beyond Mere Christianity:

A little background is in order. The Gospel of Mark, most scholars believe, is the oldest extant Gospel. Intriguingly, Matthew and Luke depend on Mark for much, but not all, of their material. (The Gospel of John does not depend on any other Gospel in a textual sense; it is independent in a way that the other three are not. It is also complied later.)

When we remove the influence of Mark and look at what Matthew and Luke still have in common, we find dozens of obviously parallel verses in Matthew and Luke - verses that often give us nearly verbatim expressions of the same saying.

Many scholars feel these parallel verses constitute clear evidence of a sayings gospel that supplies Matthew and Luke with a substantial amount of their content. These parallel verses, known as the Q verses, appear to reflect a lost manuscript that is almost certainly older thani even Mark's Gospel.

I had to type the above from the book, since when I tried to copy and paste I get weird characters instead of English letters. So, please check page 25 of the book and make sure that what I have written matches what's in the book.

I tried to find support for the theory of the Q source in the [Roman Catholic] New American Bible, and this is what I found. I posted a link to the source which will take you to the official Vatican website. Please note the passages I set in bold type and colour red, like so. They discuss the question of the Q verses and who the author of the Gospel of Matthew is [i.e., the identity of Matthew]. So as not to trick you, I have coloured some passages in blue and set them in bold type [like so]. These passages try to defend the traditional Christian stance. Also, watch out for words or phrases I underlined:

The questions of authorship, sources, and the time of composition of this gospel have received many answers, none of which can claim more than a greater or lesser degree of probability. The one now favored by the majority of scholars is the following.

The ancient tradition that the author was the disciple and apostle of Jesus named Matthew (see ⇒ Matthew 10:3) is untenable because the gospel is based, in large part, on the Gospel according to Mark (almost all the verses of that gospel have been utilized in this), and it is hardly likely that a companion of Jesus would have followed so extensively an account that came from one who admittedly never had such an association rather than rely on his own memories. The attribution of the gospel to the disciple Matthew may have been due to his having been responsible for some of the traditions found in it, but that is far from certain.

The unknown author, whom we shall continue to call Matthew for the sake of convenience, drew not only upon the Gospel according to Mark but upon a large body of material (principally, sayings of Jesus) not found in Mark that corresponds, sometimes exactly, to material found also in the Gospel according to Luke. This material, called "Q" (probably from the first letter of the German word Quelle, meaning "source"), represents traditions, written and oral, used by both Matthew and Luke. Mark and Q are sources common to the two other synoptic gospels; hence the name the "Two-Source Theory" given to this explanation of the relation among the synoptics.

Source: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PV9.HTM

I hope that I haven't offended you, Nighean.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Thanks for reading the responses.

If you are searching for historical background, I would suggest you find more about the groups known Ebionites or Judaisers or Jewish Christians.

What will interest you is that how there was this group that was persecuted by both Jews and the Gentile (non-Jewish) Christians.

Bluegazer

Hello Nighean,

You wrote the following in post #28:

Now things are a LITTLE bit clearer. So, basically, Q was a document that someone, perhaps an earlier follower of Jesus, decided to write so that the list of sayings wouldn't be lost. Then later, perhaps forty-some years after Jesus was gone, his life story from oral tradition was added to these writings. Is that what is being said here? How can we know which sayings are the earliest and which ones were added later. In the fourth century, the early church leaders got together at the Council of Nicea and decided which books to keep and which one to get rid of but the biggest topic of discussion was whether or not he was the son of God; - or - The same as god; - or a most perfect creation (but a creation made BY God) and, therefore, not a God. This was called the Arian constroversy as the main leader of this group was named Arius. I am MOST DEFINITELY SURE that if you walked down any street in America less than 0.0001% of people professing to follow the Christian faith would not know this information as Christians are taught that the entire gospel is the book of GOD - like it was carved with his finger in clay. These are the roots that I want to learn about for my faith but also from a historical aspect. I am researcing and learning so much so fast and its so fascinating!!

I truly believe that when you read my posts found on the two links I gave you in post #17, you'll know much more about these questions you are asking.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

Bluegazer

Thank you, brother Mohsin, for your kind words and your courtesy in the phrase "After you have read his posts I request you to take a look at the following links...".

I ask Allah to increase us all in knowledge and forgive us our sins.

Aameen.

nighean

To Moshin:

I have read through your first post and want to read through your other three and study what you have said. It would really be helpful to me if you would reference the quotes so I would know where they came from. Also, I found this article about the early gospels of Jesus and am posting this in two different threads as I thought it was interesting reading:

UNDERSTANDING THE FOUR GOSPELS

We do not know who wrote the "Gospels" of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John which are in the New Testament. When these books were written, it was a common practice for authors to attribute their writings to well-known persons to lend "authority" to the writings. Matthew and John were two of the original disciples of Jesus. Luke was a physician who accompanied Paul on some of his missionary journeys. Mark, who was also named John, was the son of a woman named Mary who had a house in Jerusalem. Mark, who was an acquaintance of the disciple Peter, also accompanied Paul and Barnabas on some of their missionary journeys.

Since it is customary to refer to the writers of the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John by these names, I will follow this custom. We know that Mark wrote his book first because both Matthew and Luke quote Mark in their books, sometimes word for word, and sometimes with editorial changes and additions.

Mark and Matthew wrote their books strictly from a Jewish point-of-view, claiming that Jesus was the Jewish messiah ("anointed one") whom the Jews were expecting to liberate the Jews from their Roman rulers and reestablish an independent "Kingdom of Israel" (also known as the "Kingdom of God" or "Kingdom of Heaven") on earth.

Luke (who also wrote the book called "The Acts of the Apostles,") wrote "The Gospel According to Luke" reflecting the viewpoint of Paul who was a "hellenized" Jew (a Jew whose views reflected a mix of Greek culture and Jewish culture). Although Paul viewed Jesus as the Jewish "messiah," Paul invited Gentiles (non-Jews) to accept Jesus as God's "anointed" ruler ("lord") of the entire world, not just the Kingdom of Israel.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke apparently wrote their books after 70 C.E. (Christian Era or Common Era) because all three books make reference to the destruction of Jerusalem which occurred in 70 C.E. after the Jews revolted against the Romans beginning in 66 C.E. These books were written at a time of crisis in the Christian movement. Most of the earlier followers of Jesus were dead. Peter and Paul are believed to have died between 60 and 65 C.E. These early followers had expected Jesus to reappear on earth as the "messiah" during their lifetimes.

Paul expected Jesus to return during Paul's lifetime to transform the world. About 53 C.E., Paul wrote to the church at Corinth, "I mean, brethren, the appointed time has grown very short; from now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none, and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealing with it. For the form of this world is passing away" (I Corinthians 7:29-31).

About 50 C.E., Paul wrote to the church at Thessalonica, "For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that WE WHO ARE ALIVE, who are left until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those (Christians) who are asleep (dead). For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangel's call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; and THEN WE WHO ARE ALIVE, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so we shall always be with the Lord" (I Thessalonians 4:15-17).

It appears that Matthew, Mark, and Luke wrote their books between 70 C.E. and 80 C.E. These books were written at a time when some of the Christians had begun to wonder why Jesus had not returned as expected. Mark (in the 13th chapter) addresses this question, and Matthew (in the 24th chapter) and Luke (in the 21st chapter) give the same explanations, based on what Mark had written.

If you will consult a good "Harmony of the Gospels**" showing Mark 13, Matthew 24, and Luke 21 in parallel columns, you will see that these chapters describe conditions that existed after the Romans had destroyed the Jewish temple and Jerusalem in 70 C.E. In reading these chapters, always read Mark first, and then Matthew and Luke. The changes and additions by Matthew and Luke will become apparent to the reader, and the fact that Matthew and Luke are largely copying Mark will be evident too. (**A Harmony of the Gospels by Ralph D. Heim, Fortress Press)

The destruction of the temple and Jerusalem had made some of the Christians wonder whether Jesus was truly the Jewish messiah. The chapters, mentioned above, begin with Jesus "predicting" the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, and claiming that this was an event that would precede the return of Jesus as messiah.

Then Jesus "predicted" that there would be "wars and rumors of wars," the persecution of the Christians by the Jews and civil authorities, conflicts within families, and the appearance of "false messiahs" before the return of Jesus as the true Jewish messiah. Of course, these things were already happening at the time Matthew, Mark, and Luke were writing their "gospels." At the end of these chapters, Matthew, Mark, and Luke claim that Jesus reassured his disciples with these words, "Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away before all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away."

Then the statement is added (by Mark and Matthew), "But of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Whether this last sentence was intended to be from Jesus, or was a commentary by the writer, is not known. Nevertheless, the intent of adding this sentence is clear: the Christians should continue to expect Jesus to return during "this generation," but the exact day and hour were unknown.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke wrote their books to reassure the Christians that Jesus was the messiah expected by the Jews, so the Christians should remain steadfast in their belief. By the time that John wrote his book (probably between 90 C.E. and 100 C.E.), all of the original followers of Jesus were probably dead, including the "beloved disciple" who apparently was a resource to the writer of John. This is implied in the closing chapter of John, where the writer states, "The saying spread abroad among the brethren that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, (Jesus said) 'If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?' This is the disciple who is bearing witness to these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true. But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." The "I" refers to the writer of the book, and distinguishes the "writer" from the "disciple" who provided "his testimony" as a source of information to the writer.

Since Matthew and Luke had the book of Mark as a resource, these three books show a similarity and are known as the "synoptic" (see-alike) gospels." The central theme of Jesus' teachings in these books concerned the "Kingdom of God" on earth, as described in the parables of Jesus. The book of John appears to have been written later, after the Christian movement had become established in the "hellenized" (Greek-influenced) part of the world, where Gentiles (non-Jews) were predominant. The books of Matthew, Mark, and Luke make a few references to "eternal life" (Matthew 19:16; Mark 10:17, 30; Luke 10:25, 18:18) but it was Paul who introduced the hellenized (Greek-influenced) part of the world to the idea that "the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

The writer of the book of John interprets Jesus from a Greek viewpoint. The writer is obviously familiar with Greek philosophy because Jesus is presented as the incarnation of the "logos." Six hundred years before the time of Jesus, the Greek philosopher Heraclitus used the Greek word "logos" to refer to the "mind" or rational power of God that created the world by bringing order out of chaos (as reflected in John 1:1-3). Other Greek philosophers viewed the "logos" as giving "intelligence" to human beings (as reflected in John 1:4 and 1:9). (NOTE: Unfortunately, in John 1:1 and 1:14, the Greek term "logos" is translated as "word" which is its literal meaning in English but the Greek philosophical meaning of "logos" as the "mind of God" is lost by such an English translation.)

The book of John describes Jesus as teaching God's "truth" which human beings should follow in living as God intends for people to live. It is by following this truth or "light" that human beings experience life which Jesus described as "eternal" and "abundant."

Although John viewed Jesus from a non-Jewish viewpoint, John claims that a disciple who was an eyewitness to Jesus was a resource for the book of John. The writer referred to this disciple as "the disciple whom Jesus loved, who had lain close to his breast at the supper and had said, 'Lord, who is it that is going to betray you'" (John 21:20). The book of John refers several times to this disciple "whom Jesus loved" but never names him.

Although the book of John interprets Jesus in terms of Greek philosophy, it is evident that the writer had "inside information" that could have come only from an eyewitness to Jesus. The book provides specific details about the disciples of Jesus and the events in Jesus' life that appear to be more realistic than the descriptions given in the synoptic books. For example, Matthew, Mark, and Luke report a "voice from heaven" came at Jesus' baptism, declaring that Jesus was God's "beloved Son." But John wrote that it was John the Baptist who declared that Jesus was "the Son of God" when Jesus was baptized. John's version of this story is obviously more realistic. There are other examples like this to support John's claim to having an eyewitness as a resource.

Although Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John write from different viewpoints, what is consistent in the four books is the message of Jesus that it is God's will for people to love God and love each other as we love ourselves. Jesus refers to this message as God's word, or truth, or commandment, or will, and those who accept this, as evidenced by how a person lives, will experience life as it is intended to be, and is described by the concept of "entering the Kingdom of God" on earth.

It is important to know the different viewpoints or perspectives from which Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John write because by knowing this, we can identify and disregard some of the writers' own commentaries and interpretations that only give their personal views about Jesus.

As we read the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, we must focus on discovering the "message" of Jesus that has relevance for us as we live today. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John did not agree on who Jesus was, but the truth that we should live by love for God and each other cannot be missed by anyone who does not get lost in the writers' personal views about who Jesus was.

As you read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, you should be aware that much of what is written was intended to convince readers about "who Jesus was." Matthew, Mark, and Luke intended to "prove" that Jesus was the "messiah" expected by the Jews. They used stories of "miracles" performed by Jesus as "signs" of his messiahship, and they quoted writings (taken out of context) from the Hebrew Bible to show that Jesus fulfilled alleged "prophecies" concerning the expected messiah. There is no need to believe that these "miracles" really happened or that these alleged "prophecies" related to Jesus because history has proved that Jesus was not the Jewish messiah. The miracle stories and the alleged prophecies have become irrelevant.

John used Greek philosophy concerning the "logos" in an effort to convince readers to believe that Jesus was the one and only divine "Son of God" with the power to grant "eternal life" to his followers (John 17:1-2). John has Jesus describe himself as having lived before the world was created (John 17:5) because, in Greek philosophy, the "logos" existed as the mind of God that created the world. All of this is found in the book of John when Jesus spoke at his "last supper" with his disciples. But the writers of the books of Matthew, Mark, and Luke record nothing of such words by Jesus at that "last supper." The idea that Jesus was the incarnated "logos" was totally foreign to Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

History has proved that Jesus was not the Jewish messiah expected by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Paul during their lifetimes. And there is no reason to believe that Jesus was the "incarnation" of the "logos" found in Greek philosophy, as proposed by John who wrote "And the Word (logos) became flesh and dwelt among us" (John 1:14). But in their collection of parables and other sayings attributed to Jesus, the writers of the "four gospels" have preserved many "truths" that can be confirmed by our own observation, experience, and reasoning. And many of these "teachings of Jesus" have provided guidance and inspiration for many persons who have discovered for themselves what Jesus meant by "the truth will make you free." As Christian Deists, we are followers of the human Jesus who described himself simply as "a man who told you the truth" (John 8:40).

There has never been agreement on "who Jesus was," among New Testament writers, church councils, and theologians, and it is not likely that there ever will be agreement. Fortunately, from a Christian Deist viewpoint, the importance of Jesus is in his teachings. The "truths" that Jesus taught must stand (or fall) on their own individual merits. And you, the reader, must judge that for yourself.

As you read the "four gospels," Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, I hope that this essay will help you "separate the wheat from the chaff."

January 13, 2003
I found this website on Christian Deism while searching informatin about the early gospels . I didn't even know that a group like this existed. Very thought provoking to me. I find I am holding back from embracing Islam but each day that is getting harder and harder to do. I feel like a kid who is waiting on a gift and can't wait to open it. Not ready yet but am getting closer and closer - still praying to God for guidance.

Nighean

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Hi Nighean,
You seems you are intelligent person. What I ''ll recomend personally, look for videos of comperative religion debate on Youtube. Just type in ''Ahmad Deedat''.

Thank you.

nighean

I am trying really hard to watch Youtube on Ahmad Deedat but, for some reason, my computer won't let me watch anything!!! I watch Youtube all the time and this has happened before. Its telling me that I either have Javascript turned off or I need to update my Adobe Flash player ?? Usually, I just refresh and it goes on to the videos but its being a little crazy today for some reason. Not sure if it has something to do with my antivirus progam or not. I will have to wait until my husband gets home to check it out as I am a little "technilogically challanged" when it comes to my computer!
Nighean :(

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Hello Nighean, :)
To Moshin:

I have read through your first post and want to read through your other three and study what you have said. It would really be helpful to me if you would reference the quotes so I would know where they came from.

Nighean
I tried to add references to the old post of mine but couldnt so, I have sent you a message with some more information plus all the references. Please, check your messages "inbox". Hope that will be helpful, inshaAllah.

A Kashmiri

:salam2:
okay just wondering am i sinnning if i dont gain knowledge about other religions?
cause all i know about is islam and dont even have the slightest bit of clue for other religions....so i am just wondering if it is wajib on me to gain knowledge about these religions? like christianilty, hindu, judaism, buddhism,shintaism,and many others... cause most of the stuff i just dont get it and when i try and read about it it makes my head hurt and like iam wasting my time...
so please if anyone could answer me cause you guys seem to know so much about other religions especially brothers Bawar,Mohsin,Humblewun1,Bluegazer,Gazkour, and more.....

Dear islam999

To be on the True path and to know Allah and enter parradise you dont have to know anything about any religion except Islam as Allah says in Quran to Mohammed S.A.W. that on this day i have perfected your relgion and have made Islam your Deen, Islam is enough for us as muslims to know.

However if you want to be Daee and you want to spread the message of Islam among non muslims , then you definetly have to know about some major relgions, more importantly their beliefs , their books and do some comparative religion studies to be effective.

However in todays world when the Christian missionaries particularly are knocking our doors, i believe it is a duty to know more about their religion to present the beauty of our relgion Islam to them and to make them know that it is we who are on the right path instead of they.

I hope this answers your question.

Masallama

okay just wondering am i sinnning if i dont gain knowledge about other religions?

I am a new student of Islam and an American. The christian church I am affiliated with does not encourage the reading Holy Books of other faiths especially the Holy Qur'an. They believe it will confuse me and lead me away from Christianity. I purchased a Qur'an and am reading it and praying about Allah's will for me. There will be much pressure on me if I feel I must leave the church I am affiliated with now. Please pray for me.