Dear Members...

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum brother
Sorry I didnt follow up with all the thread ,and I dont know if u went to the Mosque or not .

I don't want to be bothering the mosque anyway, their busy people, they just quickly come and go for prayer, and they don't need their time wasted by an ignorant fool like me.

Brother Im sure u will not be bothering them ,there should be many brothers who can help u and usually they offer different classes in studying islam for new muslims and even arabic classes also
Even more there are Im sure might be some brothers who converted ,dont be shy to go there and ask as many questions as u can .
When I converted I had no single muslim around me and I lived with my Christian family and we had a priest coming every sunday preaching in our house .
I learned how to pray by myself with the help of Allah SWT of course .I went thru so many sites and was confused for a while ,but then somehow I started praying .
Little by little with many mistakes ,it was very hard and I learned completely how to pray after one year being a muslim ,thats because I started going to Mosque and met other sisters...
May Allah make it easy on u

Take care

waaleikum salam

Mairo

Maryama
Asalamu aleikum!

Glad to hear from you again - you had us worried!

It is equally important to learn about Islam from both the Quran, and the Sunnah (example) of the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him. I hope you will continue to endeavor to learn both to the best of your ability.
The messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: O mankind, I am leaving two things with you, if you cling to them you will never go astray. The Book of Allaah and my way of life.

I also wanted to share a few other things with you, one regarding the quote from the Quran I mentioned earlier, regarding revelation (this is 3 different translations, which vary slightly):

Y: It is not fitting for a man that Allah should speak to him except by inspiration, or from behind a veil, or by the sending of a messenger to reveal, with Allah's permission, what Allah wills: for He is Most High, Most Wise.

P: And it was not (vouchsafed) to any mortal that Allah should speak to him unless (it be) by revelation or from behind a veil, or (that) He sendeth a messenger to reveal what He will by His leave. Lo! He is Exalted, Wise.

S: And it is not for any mortal that Allah should speak to them, they could not bear to hear and they did not see.

Y: And thus have We, by Our Command, sent inspiration to thee: thou knewest not (before) what was Revelation, and what was Faith; but We have made the (Qur'an) a Light, wherewith We guide such of Our servants as We will; and verily thou dost guide (men) to the Straight Way,-

P: And thus have We inspired in thee (Muhammad) a Spirit of Our command.
Thou knewest not what the Scripture was, nor what the Faith. But We have made it a light whereby We guide whom We will of Our bondmen. And lo! thou verily dost guide unto a right path,

S: And thus did We reveal to you an inspired book by Our command. You did not know what the Book was, nor (what) the faith (was), but We made it a light, guiding thereby whom We please of Our servants; and most surely you show the way to the right path:

Y: The Way of Allah, to Whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Behold (how) all affairs tend towards Allah!

P: The path of Allah, unto Whom belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens
and whatsoever is in the earth. Do not all things reach Allah at last?

S: The path of Allah, Whose is whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth; now surely to Allah do all affairs eventually come.

Also, this from a hadith:
Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah's Apostle saying. "Nothing is left of the prophetism except Al-Mubashshirat." They asked. "What are Al-Mubashshirat?" He replied. "The true good dreams (that conveys glad tidings)." Volume 9. Book 87. Number 119

And also:
Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri: The Prophet said, "If anyone of you sees a dream that he likes, then it is from Allah, and he should thank Allah for it and narrate it to others; but if he sees something else, i.e., a dream that he dislikes, then it is from Satan, and he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil, and he should not mention it to anybody, for it will not harm him."

You may also take comfort from Abraham's search in following the true religion of monotheism, and correctly making sense of some of the signs:
[6.74] And when Ibrahim said to his sire, Azar: Do you take idols for gods? Surely I see you and your people in manifest error.
[6.75] And thus did We show Ibrahim the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and that he might be of those who are sure.
[6.76] So when the night over-shadowed him, he saw a star; said he: Is this my Lord? So when it set, he said: I do not love the setting ones.
[6.77] Then when he saw the moon rising, he said: Is this my Lord? So when it set, he said: If my Lord had not guided me I should certainly be of the erring people.
[6.78] Then when he saw the sun rising, he said: Is this my Lord? Is this the greatest? So when it set, he said: O my people! surely I am clear of what you set up (with Allah).
[6.79] Surely I have turned myself, being upright, wholly to Him Who originated the heavens and the earth, and I am not of the polytheists.
[6.80] And his people disputed with him. He said: Do you dispute with me respecting Allah? And He has guided me indeed; and I do not fear in any way those that you set up with Him, unless my Lord pleases; my Lord comprehends all things in His knowledge; will you not then mind?
[6.81] And how should I fear what you have set up (with Him), while you do not fear that you have set up with Allah that for which He has not sent down to you any authority; which then of the two parties is surer of security, if you know?
[6.82] Those who believe and do not mix up their faith with iniquity, those are they who shall have the security and they are those who go aright.
[6.83] And this was Our argument which we gave to Ibrahim against his people; We exalt in dignity whom We please; surely your Lord is Wise, Knowing.

I do not think that the quote you shared from the Quran that you opened earlier and randomly pointed to has anything to do with understanding your current situation. I think we should be wary of doing such things, just thinking that we could open the Quran and point to whatever verse by chance, and then think that should be applicable to our particular situation.

Sister Saniyah's advice is great: Have patience with yourself, and take your learning in stages, Allah will bring you whatever you need to know in due time.

May Allah guide us to all that is good, and keep us safe securely on the straight path.

nazir

Dear Peter,
There is no need to be worried; we Muslims do not, and certainly will not regard you as the 'other side' since your 'British', as the bonds of spiritual brotherhood, woven through submission to Allah, are a thousand times stronger than 'blood ties'; your blood is as sacred as any individual coming from a lineage of 10 muslim generations!

Killing innoccent people is against humanity, and moreso against that teachings enshrined in Islam; if you are afraid of becoming Muslim for fear of being percieved as equals to the murderers who under the false guise of Islam perperate horrific killings of innocents, then using the same logic, you have more to fear of being a human, as the sum total injustices perperated by the human species are countless! Likewise, when the British soldiers carry out crimes against humanity, we do not hate the people who have had nothing to do with this. Imagine if this was the case, you would probably caught a glimpse of me on the news!:D

If you are confident in your belief in Allah, then surely you would be able to project this confidence unto those who are distracted by people doing crimes in the name of Islam, and say no, this is not Islam, rather this is...

I understand your civility in not going to the masjid to ask the imam about your various inquiries and requests, however that is what an imam is there for, his job is to serve the community! So please do not hesitate, and you will not distract people, rather you will enable them to get reward as they will help you along the way insha'Allah. And about reading in the Qur'an that one should not enter the prayer with a befogged mind, it is referring to the time where alcohol was only discouraged and not prohibited at that time, and some people used to enter the prayers drunk and not congnizant of what they were saying, so this is not with your case.

May Allah guide you towards and upon Islam.
Take care my friend

samiha

---------
Staff member
Bismillah.

Assalamu alaykum

This is going to be a long ride so sit tight and buckle your seat belt insha'Allah.

First: Stop and Breathe. I know you must have done it by now, or else you wouldnt be alive, but seriously chill for just a few seconds and clear your mind. Islam is meant to answer questions and remove confusions, so dont get frustrated and worried and all that; take things slowly and one at a time, and surely Allah will make them easy for you!

I can't get all of those images out of my head.

There are people out there who would do that to me, just because of my nationality - and to be very honest - that scares me a lot.

It scares me that some of you out there might despise me just because I'm British.

It is a horrible feeling to know that there are Brits who would probably want to kill me for being a Muslim, and there are Muslims who would probably kill me for being a Brit. Wow. That's a hell of a realisation to shoulder.

That awful woman too, saying that Americans shouldn't care about civilian casualties.

I'm very messed up now and I can't describe how I feel. What is Allah doing with me here? Why am I in this position?

I'm really soul shattered.

I'm a Moderator, and even though you didnt mention it in this post, but perhaps this was the exact reason that was deleted? You see, part of being a Muslim is having love for our Ummah, our community of Muslims all over the world, but not all things which fall under that have a positive benefit. The only way to recitify our nation and alleviate suffering to a degree is by being the best muslims we can, by spreading Islam and tawheed, by presenting ourselves as best as we can and returning to the original Islaam. It's not by watching a video, and just increasing in hatred and frustrations all while not doing anything about it. We dont want to drop people in doubts, in frustrations, but we acknowledge the rampant horrors which continue on in all parts of the world.

You know, part of facing the world is seeing it in its actualization. Its frankness, its good and its bad. You cant just take one side of the picture and not look at the rest. It might digust you, horror you, but in fact its what brings you to the shocking reality and the differenciation between good/bad, right/wrong. One cannot really exist without the understanding of the other.

No matter where, there usually exists some degree of prejudice, racism, bigotry among others. There might be people in the US who might hate you because you're indian, there might be people in hong kong who hate you because you're african... there are too many might be/could be situations. Because although it's true it MIGHT be so, what can we do about it truly? When you acknowledge a problem, you seek its solution. What is the solution to this?

You worry some might despise you because you are british? Well prove them otherwise, because YOU know you arent like some british, so why are you already percieving yourself with them? Know that if you are Muslim, you are part of a community that does not segregate color/race/features/location. If you look at the time of the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa sallam, it united people of ALL places. There were dignitaries, poor, rich, slaves, ugly... there were tribes even that HATED each other before the advent of Islaam, warring at every opportunity, and it was deep rooted, but Islaam came and took this away and made them brothers in Deen.

Therefore you should not fear the judgements of others, especially Muslims. If they are true to their religion, they will judge you only by your standards alone and not by others. And by no means can a Muslim kill another Muslim, despite whatever background.

In the end, it IS what Allah is doing with you, as everything is under His plan, but it's also human ability, what are you doing with yourself? You see this wrong, you acknowledge it is wrong, so then when you are shown wrong, you head towards the obvious right. You are in the best position, when you know what a crocodile looks like, you know how to stay away from it better. :)

Why did Allah give me that very weird coincidence regarding fitrah/fitnah?

What exactly does 'fitnah' mean?

Subhan'Allah it's really nothing at all; if you look into the Arabic language you might find yourself getting into a lot of "wierd coincidences" if you think this way.

I dont think I can explain this clearly but, to put it simply, Arabic has a tri-consonantal system in which three main letters form the base of the word. From here they go outwards into other words. And you could say that all the words with these same basic roots have similar/connected meanings to them, although there could be more than one definition.

However, Fitrah and Fitnah are from two entirely different word roots, and thus regardless of how close thier soundings may seem in written form, their meanings are entirely different:

Fitnah comes from : ف ت ن

Here you can find different meanings for the word: Different meanings of Fitnah in the Qura'an
All have similar meanings based on their roots, but differences in accordances to changes in the position, usage etc.

However Fitrah is completely different coming from : ف ط ر
It's dictionary meaning for the root is also different, but as to the one we seek it says: the natural constitution with which a child is created in his mother's womb. The faculty of knowing God, with which He has created mankind - whereby he is capable of accepting the religion of truth.

So hopefully you see the difference, they are actually pronoucned differently too. :) But this was just to get rid of confusion - not create more i hope!

At a certain point however, I stopped, because the sea was not sounding any closer, and I began to wonder just how far I would have to walk, and if the tide was out as far as it would go, then it would coming on it's way back in, and I became concerned I would be in danger, and so with great regret and a feeling of failure, I turned back.

I came all the way home feeling like I had failed at something. I felt like a weakling and a coward.

I doubt that was the case at all. Allah does not like when a person puts them selves purposely in a situation of death or a posibility of it.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ لاَ تَأْكُلُواْ أَمْوَالَكُمْ بَيْنَكُمْ بِالْبَاطِلِ إِلاَّ أَن تَكُونَ تِجَارَةً عَن تَرَاضٍ مِّنكُمْ وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ أَنفُسَكُمْ إِنَّ اللّهَ كَانَ بِكُمْ رَحِيمًا

"O you who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves unjustly except it be a trade amongst you, by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you." [4:29]

So please next time remember that, and do not do anything that dangerous for no reason other than believing it was needed. :( It scared me.

I took the Quran, and asked for Allah to please give me some kind of answer to what had just happened, and taking the Quran, opened it with eyes closed to see where my index finger would land - the word upon which my finger landed is highlighted in italics, and I quote the whole verse:

That doesn't sound too good. What do you think it means?

The Qur'aan altogether is a book of guidance. All of it is a cure, a remedy for the hearts but we should not think that it's a book of fortune telling, or anything like that. So that's not really the best way to go about finding something. There really isnt any source for that sort of thing, so personally I think it's best to avoid yeh?

The Qur'aan is the Kalaam / word of Allah, and all of it is good, but to really understand and apply it to our lives, randomn pointed verses are not likely to help, we have to get further into it and learn it best we can to have it have the most positive effect on our lives.

On my way back, I wondered if I am going out of my mind. I mean, I've always been eccentric, but am I a total nutcase? It must appear that way. I feel such a fool.

When I am 'seeing' things - where is it coming from? I have always been a 'seer'. Do I have demons or what?

Might some demonic influence have been leading me to the sea, to put me in danger? Am I just trying to find a spiritual explanation when I am in fact simply just mad? I'm feeling very strange. Why was my vision of the long robe so strangely coincidental with the hadith that I read that appeared to explain it?

Crazy people are the most fun, but I doubt you are one of them, just a bit confused of late.

When you see things, they could be from Shaytan, they could just be from yourself! The human mind is complex, not everything can be explained. Sometimes the things that go on in our head, play out in our thoughts and consequently might result in vision type things. :D In fact, when I'm incredibly tired, I not only see visions, i talk to them, and then snap out of it and laugh at myself for doing so when I find that the people I was talking to... werent there!. :p So I dont think it always must have meaning to it.

Remember, we're stronger than Shaytan, he whispers, talks and swears to us, but ultimately we can be stronger to just say no to it all.

The Hadith mentioned was in regards to Isbaal. Its to do with the trailing of the lower garments of a man. I'm not sure what you saw it as at first? But it's not really something you have to concentrate as of yet, however, just like a woman in Islaam has certain styles of clothing and things she must maintain, so does a man. The hadith was an example of this, to not trail the lower garments for pride or any other reason because it is forbidden, and this was how the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa sallam advised people to correct thier mistakes.

I have such a lot to learn. :redface:

We all do :) You could learn for a lifetime but still not know anything it seems.

Then again, his comments are full of criticism from people saying that he is doing wrong because he should be using Arabic, which is totally inconsiderate, because what about if you're a beginner that has absolutely no understanding of Arabic what so ever? It's okay to repeat things parrot-fashion, but that just feels really phoney and insincere. I'm sort of thinking that you need to learn the entire Arabic language before you know what you're doing, that would take years and it's such an unusual language in this part of the world, I just don't know where I'd learn it - internet sources are no good, you need a teacher, the same as with prayer, you need hands on practical guidance or you will never know what you're doing.

I'm just going with what the American guy does in the video, although I'm now seriously questioning whether this is for me at all, because this is obviously not a path to walk alone.

I'm starting to question whether I should just stick to reading the Quran.

Dont give up, we're made of stronger substance than that. Until you memorize the proper Surahs and things needed in Salaah, I've heard you can just read " Subhan'Allah Alhamdulillah Laa illaha illahu Allahu Akbar" ... in the postions in which it is required to say something. THEN at the same time, learn arabic slowly and interject them into the positions for which they should be placed.

Anything you put your mind to, you can do insha'Allah.

Looking at the Quran, it only mentions the times of day at which to praise God, so why can I not just observe these times and just pray from the heart however it comes? If I was just doing this from the start I wouldn't be so confused.

The Quran doesn't seem to mention all of this specifically cultural stuff, at least I can't find such.

The complexities are actually getting in the way of my feeling that I can pray to God, because I am just worrying about what I am doing, instead of making that connection.

Think, if people all started to pray however they wanted, then this religion wouldnt have been maintained as it is now would it have? The Jews and the Christians also at one point had a specific number of prayers, time to do it etc, but over time since its manner perhaps wasnt as stressed people changed and changed, so that it doesnt really have an semblance of anything anymore. Changing ONE thing in religion or letting it go, opens the door to many others. Allah says He has perfected our religion for us, and this was through the Qur'aan and the examples of the Messenger :saw: ... so the only way we can properly practice is through both.

I think you're thinking just too much too soon. It's like you get a cake and think to consume it in one sitting. ... Someone will feel the stomach ache! Try to enjoy Islaam, take one step at a time and try to implement it in your life and then go to the next.

That's my advice, and any good in it is from Allah, and any bad from myself alone.

May Allah help us all in all we do. Ameen

wasalam

nabilah ahmad

Mabrook (congratulation) brother Peter! Insya Allah, Allah is always with us and everything that occurs in your heart (i.e. your worries, pains, anxieties...), Allah knows... Masha Allah, you be strong in your faith to Allah. If there's any woe(s) that are worrying you (i.e. not understanding Arabic, believe me, I am also not an Arab and it is not easy to learn the blessed language but, where there's a will there's always a way, but, take your time... insya Allah), you can just message your worries/inquiries here or if there is an islamic religious scholar in your place, then, all the better!

You are never alone because Allah is with you at all time and you also have us, your fellow brothers and sisters in Islam...

Take care...

Wallahu'alam.

Inquirer

Saniyah! :)

And strive hard in Allāh's Cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islāmic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islām), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship, it is the religion of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) (Islāmic Monotheism). It is He (Allāh) Who has named you Muslims both before and in this (the Qur'ān), that the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) may be a witness over you and you be witnesses over mankind! So perform AsSalāt (Iqamat-as-Salāt), give Zakāt and hold fast to Allāh [i.e. have confidence in Allāh, and depend upon Him in all your affairs] He is your Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.), what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.) and what an Excellent Helper!"

I should have responded earlier and intended too, but I drifted away into contemplations again.

Thank you for these encouraging and comforting words, I really liked reading this, and the quotes in red, especially the second one.

Thanks for the links to explore too. You really look after me don't you. ;)

Assalamu alaikum Saniya,

welcome brother, hope Allah will guide u to the right pass. I really admire your courage and wish u the best

Thank you for the welcome, and good wishes. :)

walaykum assalam Aisha,

Brother Im sure u will not be bothering them ,there should be many brothers who can help u and usually they offer different classes in studying islam for new muslims and even arabic classes also

Well, the imam said that there was one attendee that he was teaching Arabic to, but then, he will have got on with this to a certain extent and so if a new person joined in he would have to divide his attention and all that so I'm not sure if this could happen. I don't know, I'd have to ask, but like I say I don't want to be getting in the way, or make anyone feel obligated to do something for me for religious reasons or anything - so I'll leave that one. The mosque near me is very small. You see, it's a small seaside town, I need a mosque in a city really that has loads and loads of people that go to it. I really ought to think about moving away - I just absolutely hate living on my own though, I've never liked it, it can get miserable.

Even more there are Im sure might be some brothers who converted ,dont be shy to go there and ask as many questions as u can
There was a guy there who had reverted from Christianity, and he was the one learning Arabic.

When I converted I had no single muslim around me and I lived with my Christian family and we had a priest coming every sunday preaching in our house .

Really? Dear me, I bet that felt a bit strange with a preacher coming around and you knowing you had embarked on a Muslim path. So how did it work out, with your family I mean, if you don't mind my being nosey. It can feel a bit isolating when there hasn't been someone that has actually lead you into the faith can't it? I'm glad this place is here though. :) People tend to think I was a Christian, although I was never christened or baptised.

When there was a national census in 2000, where it said 'Religion:', I didn't know what to put, I most certainly couldn't put 'athiest', I've never been quite so completely irrational as that, and I couldn't put 'agnostic' either, which is just as daft, and yet I had no religion as such, so I just ended up ticking 'other', and put, 'openly spiritual', in other words, 'desperately seeking my religion, open to suggestion'.

It reassuring to hear that you found confusion but that it eventually fell into place in the end, so I'll get there, I'm not worried about it now.

Thanks for responding Mairo.

Glad to hear from you again - you had us worried!

Hehe. Yes, I have a flair for drama as you can see. lol.

It is equally important to learn about Islam from both the Quran, and the Sunnah (example) of the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him. I hope you will continue to endeavor to learn both to the best of your ability.

Indeed. I'm really into the hadiths. You see I'm one of those people that loves collections of quotations anyway and so the hadiths really appeal to me. If I'm not looking into the Quran or these though, I'm reading books about Islam in general or researching or taking note of something or other about Islam, and it's like being a kid in a sweet-shop, I'm almost not sure what to choose, as I love all the information - this path just keeps being confirmed and confirmed - how odd that the religion I had absolute and complete prejudice against was secretly waiting to reveal all I had sought - He certainly moves in mysterious ways (and weirdly, it was a biligerent racist (into 'Blood and Honour') that acted as the catalyst for me to satisfy my intrigue about Islam. Honour?! They don't know the meaning of the word. They haven't even got the guts to show their faces without censorship on the website, cowardly, spineless little wretches that they are).

Yes, I know some horrible people, I need to become a beacon of light for them all. I hope so anyway.

Thanks for the quotes from the Quran. I understand what your saying. What would be your opinion on the meaning of, 'from behind a veil', in the first quote?

You know, I'd actually like a sufi opinion on this kind of thing, visions and the like. I know you're now all horrified and will warn me against this, but this is my path, and I need to investigate. I have had visions and extra-sensory perceptions all my life, I'll share eventually as time goes on, and it's just part of who I am, and I'm not sure I need an exorcism or that I am somehow plagued by Satan. The Sufis seem to be more emotional people, like me, more heart than head, more 'Love' than 'Justice' (and whatever is done in Love, Justice comes automatically anyway). I have read the very well written and detailed critique of sufism here, but I have also read some completely impartial essays as well.

Also, this from a hadith:
Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah's Apostle saying. "Nothing is left of the prophetism except Al-Mubashshirat." They asked. "What are Al-Mubashshirat?" He replied. "The true good dreams (that conveys glad tidings)." Volume 9. Book 87. Number 119

What do these things have to do with prophetism?

I have had three precognitive dreams in my life (that I can recall), one turned out to have been a warning pertaining to a future event, but I didn't know it at the time, but when it came to pass just as I had seen it, I was stunned, and it was no mere 'coincidence' (all coincidence is very meaningful anyway, if it's significance can be discerned).

Another related how futile a future path would turn out to be if I was to embark upon it, and yet I didn't know this at the time either, until it became clear.

The other I recall, revealed to me a fact that I could not possibly have been known by any normal means.

The first two didn't 'convey glad tidings', they were warnings but I didn't know it at the time. The third, was neither good nor bad, just very surprising.

And also:
Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri: The Prophet said, "If anyone of you sees a dream that he likes, then it is from Allah, and he should thank Allah for it and narrate it to others; but if he sees something else, i.e., a dream that he dislikes, then it is from Satan, and he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil, and he should not mention it to anybody, for it will not harm him."

Well, the 'wave washing over', and 'the base of the robe' things I saw, which later I realised was drawing my attention to a particular hadith I found soon after, were neither likeable nor dislikeable, they just 'were'.

I was quite fascinated with the quotes regarding Abraham, the sun, moon and Venus (the star), but I'm not sure if I understood the 'moral of the story'. Is it that although signs can be seen in the sun, moon and stars, we are better just going higher than all these things, and just asking for signs straight from Allah - but then does Allah not give the signs in the heavens anyway? I'm confused. As Allah is All Things, what's the difference?

I do not think that the quote you shared from the Quran that you opened earlier and randomly pointed to has anything to do with understanding your current situation.

It's called stitchomancy apparently. I would have thought that to do this with the Quran isn't the same as doing it with any old book. I won't do it again then, but I cannot help but think that it is relevant or it wouldn't have happened. There is no such thing as mere coincidence. Everything means something, but you have to discern the meaning, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't and sometimes you get part of it. Randomness is an illusion of conciousness, everything proceeds according to the will of Allah, and he knows the outcome of all things, so what appears to us as apparently random, isn't in fact at all random to Allah. I know what I'm trying to get across here, but I'm not articulating it very well, it touches upon Jungian psychology.

May Allah guide us to all that is good, and keep us safe securely on the straight path.

Indeed. :)

Assalamu Alaikum Nazir,

There is no need to be worried; we Muslims do not, and certainly will not regard you as the 'other side' since your 'British', as the bonds of spiritual brotherhood, woven through submission to Allah, are a thousand times stronger than 'blood ties'; your blood is as sacred as any individual coming from a lineage of 10 muslim generations!

Thanks for your reassurance. :)

Killing innoccent people is against humanity, and moreso against that teachings enshrined in Islam; if you are afraid of becoming Muslim for fear of being percieved as equals to the murderers who under the false guise of Islam perperate horrific killings of innocents, then using the same logic, you have more to fear of being a human, as the sum total injustices perperated by the human species are countless! Likewise, when the British soldiers carry out crimes against humanity, we do not hate the people who have had nothing to do with this. Imagine if this was the case, you would probably caught a glimpse of me on the news!

Well, yes, I see your point here.

I understand your civility in not going to the masjid to ask the imam about your various inquiries and requests, however that is what an imam is there for, his job is to serve the community!

I know, yet I don't want to bother someone in knowing that they'll feel obliged to say, 'yes', because it's their job, and he's already doing one to one Arabic with someone, and he has a wife and young children and plenty of other things to be getting on with I'm sure. I don't want to put a load upon someone, as a matter of respect, especially if I can find such things out by other means, if I had no other possibilities at all, then it would be different.

And about reading in the Qur'an that one should not enter the prayer with a befogged mind, it is referring to the time where alcohol was only discouraged and not prohibited at that time

Are you sure? I can't find the reference now. In any case, I'm not ready to go back to a masjid until I'm either go with someone or until I know what I am doing with absolute precision.

Salaam Samiha,

Thanks for such a detailed response. :)

The only way to recitify our nation and alleviate suffering to a degree is by being the best muslims we can, by spreading Islam and tawheed, by presenting ourselves as best as we can and returning to the original Islaam. It's not by watching a video, and just increasing in hatred and frustrations all while not doing anything about it. We dont want to drop people in doubts, in frustrations, but we acknowledge the rampant horrors which continue on in all parts of the world.

Yes, I know what you mean.

You know, part of facing the world is seeing it in its actualization. Its frankness, its good and its bad. You cant just take one side of the picture and not look at the rest. It might digust you, horror you, but in fact its what brings you to the shocking reality and the differenciation between good/bad, right/wrong. One cannot really exist without the understanding of the other.

Very true. I never wanted to see one of those particular incidents in one of those videos, but yes, it does make you more resolute to counteract evil, by having witnessed how evil this world can be. I have observed how it is strange that the darkness can lead you to the light, and if we have not experienced pain and sadness, we cannot fully appreciate pleasure and happiness when we have them.

What is the solution to this?

Well I don't really know, other than to try and counteract it I suppose.

You worry some might despise you because you are british? Well prove them otherwise, because YOU know you arent like some british, so why are you already percieving yourself with them?

With who?

Did you know that nearly the entire population of Britain was absolutely opposed to being lead into dropping bombs on Iraq, for the sake of George Bush? There were massive campaigns on the streets of London. However, Tony Blair didn't give a damn what his people thought, democracy being fallacious of course, and went ahead with Bush anyway - and so completely misrepresenting the will of the people in the eyes of the world. So I think that there are many that think, 'Britain = enemy of the Muslim world', when they just don't know.

It was also that lovely man Blair, who in not paying the ransom of releasing a prisoner, that gave the nod for Ken Bigley to have his head cut off, on film, despite his emotional pleas to his leader, and the film was then subsequently sent to hundreds of British e-mail addresses at random so that families could wake up to be greeted by the spectacle over breakfast. The two Italian journalists that had been similarly captured and awaited the same fate, were saved by their own leader, because they payed the ransom. The British public never forgave Blair for that either, I most certainly didn't.

You are in the best position, when you know what a crocodile looks like, you know how to stay away from it better. :)

Hehe. True.

I dont think I can explain this clearly but, to put it simply, Arabic has a tri-consonantal system in which three main letters form the base of the word. From here they go outwards into other words. And you could say that all the words with these same basic roots have similar/connected meanings to them, although there could be more than one definition.

Well that's interesting, I'll look it up.

I'll check out the link on 'fitnah'.

Oh, I wanted to ask, are animals also considered to be in a natural state of 'fitrah'?

"O you who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves unjustly except it be a trade amongst you, by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you." [4:29]

So please next time remember that, and do not do anything that dangerous for no reason other than believing it was needed. It scared me.

Sorry about that. Yes, I can just be a bit wild and wacky sometimes, I wanted to do something that would really scare me and dedicate that to a higher purpose somehow, but then, well, there was no point in it which I realise now.

Another thought I had - is that this is what the suicide bombers think.

The Qur'aan altogether is a book of guidance. All of it is a cure, a remedy for the hearts but we should not think that it's a book of fortune telling, or anything like that. So that's not really the best way to go about finding something. There really isnt any source for that sort of thing, so personally I think it's best to avoid yeh?

I see the point, it's more a case of coming to know it, and so when an answer is needed to something, then you'd be more like, 'Hmm, now where's that part which refers to...', or remembering a quote.

Crazy people are the most fun, but I doubt you are one of them, just a bit confused of late.

Oh no, I'm completely bananas, trust me. :tongue:

When you see things, they could be from Shaytan, they could just be from yourself!

Well, I'll go with from myself, but I have a hard time thinking there was anything Satanic about it, I mean, what I tried to do was just my eccentricity and that I wanted a spiritual experience, and to challenge myself to overcome fear, and somehow, with a mind to a higher purpose.

The seeing the bottom of the robe thing and finding that hadith meant that this one has particular relevance for me for some reason. Simple. No evil or good implied, it just is what it is.

So I dont think it always must have meaning to it.

All my life I have felt that everything means something, and there is nothing that cannot be 'read', there is so much more to read than words, there is nothing in all existence that cannot be read.

'Where should I go?'.

You look up. A chance encounter. A shooting star appears. Streaks into the West. You're coming from the East.

'Go West, proceed as you have been doing.'.

Perhaps it goes the opposite way:

'Turn back!'.

However, I do undertstand not everyone tunes into that kind of thing, I mean, I don't tune into mathematics, or snooker but I don't see them as demonic.

Islam it seems, doesnt like art, unless it's mathematical and geometric, it seems, I am finding, to favour cold, hard rationalism over intuition, sentiment and mystery, as if both aren't equally essential in the rich tapestry of life, as if one might not be a little more important for some than for others. Which puts me in a bit of a spot really.

I'm not sure what you saw it as at first?

It was cream, or a dirty white, and the material was like a thick cotton. The toes peeping out from beneath, weren't bare, but 'slippered' is all I could say, and these were brown, like suede.

Dont give up, we're made of stronger substance than that. Until you memorize the proper Surahs and things needed in Salaah, I've heard you can just read " Subhan'Allah Alhamdulillah Laa illaha illahu Allahu Akbar" ... in the postions in which it is required to say something. THEN at the same time, learn arabic slowly and interject them into the positions for which they should be placed.

I'll bear this in mind. The end is, 'God is Great', but what's the beginning?

Think, if people all started to pray however they wanted, then this religion wouldnt have been maintained as it is now would it have? The Jews and the Christians also at one point had a specific number of prayers, time to do it etc, but over time since its manner perhaps wasnt as stressed people changed and changed, so that it doesnt really have an semblance of anything anymore.

I see what you mean, very good point.

I think you're thinking just too much too soon. It's like you get a cake and think to consume it in one sitting. ... Someone will feel the stomach ache! Try to enjoy Islaam, take one step at a time and try to implement it in your life and then go to the next.

You're absolutely right. I do over think things, and I'm a worrier as well.

Thanks for all that Samiha. :)

Mabrook (congratulation) brother Peter! Insya Allah, Allah is always with us and everything that occurs in your heart (i.e. your worries, pains, anxieties...), Allah knows... Masha Allah, you be strong in your faith to Allah. If there's any woe(s) that are worrying you (i.e. not understanding Arabic, believe me, I am also not an Arab and it is not easy to learn the blessed language but, where there's a will there's always a way, but, take your time... insya Allah), you can just message your worries/inquiries here or if there is an islamic religious scholar in your place, then, all the better!

Thank you so much Nabilah.

Yes, it is good that I have the brothers and sisters here to talk to. :)

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin
:salam2:

Dear peter,

Welcome to the community of Islam :SMILY259::SMILY206:

I was reading your post and all the replies and believe me, I was in tears.

The journey has begun for us and stay firm on this path until we meet our Creator.

This feeling of being so close to you is unbearable...........( I'm on the other side of the world, mind you ).

May ALLAH guide you and us on this journey.

Till we meet again peter, wassalam

Inquirer

Thank you for your welcome and kind words Zainudin. :SMILY259:

I feel close to all of you too, I am continually impressed at how helpful and reassuring you all are to me. :)

khairulUmmam

thank you peter... u made me insaf! may Allah bless u.. :ma:wonder of Allah..turning someone who hates islam into a hood muslim... may Allah pay u in heaven

Inquirer

thank you peter... u made me insaf! may Allah bless u.. wonder of Allah..turning someone who hates islam into a hood muslim... may Allah pay u in heaven

Thanks Khairul. :SMILY259:

welcome to de community of islam Peter

Thank you too for your welcome Sumaya. :SMILY259:

nazir

Dear Peter,
The signs of Allah are all around us; some are clear, and some not so. Our own creation, our very bodies are testament to the Greatness of the Creator, Allah ta'la. But as you have rightly inferred implicitly earlier, there are many that possess eyes yet do not see, why is this the case? This is because the hearts are not awakened, from where true vision extends from, therefore reality is not seen as reality is, rather in a blinkered way. So you will find two people in the same situation, but their outlook upon it is completely different. The life of the heart is stimulated into action by the Remembrance of Allah, which in its most comprehensive form involves the heart percieving varying external stimulus's and modulating them according to the knowledge that Allah has blessed us with. This demonstrates the reality of ones remembrance, whether it is grounded in the heart, or whether it just bounced of the tongue.

However, Islamically, the example you gave of being cognizant to the effect of seeing a star shoot in the opposite direction and you take that to mean carry on going/turn round, is not correct, and it is regarded as an 'omen'. The Quraysh, the polytheists of Arabia, used to do something similar like taking omens from the flight of a bird etc.

Islam, in its true unadulaterated manifestation tends to the healing and blossoming of the soul. The only way this can be actualised is through following the Qur'an in both letter and deed, and the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet peace be upon him. Any other path is bound to failure so i advise you, and myself firstly, to not turn away from these two sources due to them being percieved as deficient and thereby attaching oneself to another 'ism' (no names mentioned), rather it should be the reflection of our own deficiency in being able to regard the completeness of what lays before our eyes.

I recommend you to look at some of the articles on www.islaam.com, particularly on the section of tazkiyyah which is purification of the heart/soul. The purification begins with the shahadah, and ends with the shahadah.
Take care my friend

Inquirer

Thanks for those comments Nazir.

What you have said was very thought provoking. I'll have a look at that link now. :)

Inquirer

I would like to thank all of you who have so kindly addressed me on this thread, I have really appreciated it, and I am very thankful and was pleased to make your acquaintance.

However, it seems I am not so welcome with everyone, and not everyone has the same principles. I'll give them what they want, and get out of here, perhaps I shouldn't have joined at all, so this is my last post.

I have sent quite a few of you e-mails explaining the situation, but for the most part, my time here was informative and very pleasurable. :)

I wish you all Love and Peace, and I do hope that you walk your straight path with mercy and compassion, and that you continue to be the good souls that you are, and I'm sure you will.

Salam, and farewell.

Pete. x x :wink:

palestine

Servant of Allah
it isn't fair for you to disappear like that on us. ignore those who have insulted you. you made great brothers and sisters here and i'm very saddened that muslims treat each other this way. brother peter racism has always existed but you can't always give people what they want.

Almeftah

welcome to the nation of Islam :)

In quran (41:34,35) Allah says:The good deed and the evil deed cannot be equal. Repel (the evil) with one which is better (i.e. Allâh orders the faithful believers to be patient at the time of anger, and to excuse those who treat them badly), then verily! he, between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend. (34)
So you are becoming a friend.

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
SubhanAllaah! How can someone be so passionate about Islaam and so thirsty for knowledge and then after few rude replies on other topics (by some individuals) he loses his interest of even being a muslim??:confused:

I don't get it.

huda2

:salam2:

Bro Peter, Im kind of late but masha allah reading yr post really amazes me how passion,energetic, and all the effort you made to find the true, you are inspiration, so please don't let discourage you what some of us say :SMILY286:. No one is perfect as you know, so please ignore it, stay, and learn as much as you can from yr bro/sis. we are all here for you. Allah guide to the right path those he loves and surely you are one them. I hope you stay :SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY29::SMILY29:

:wasalam: