Degree in Islamic studies.

muslimah84

Salam alykum WW,
I am interested in pursuing a bachelors degree in Islamic studies/theology/etc in the future. Im really not sure where to even start when looking for a school. I was thinking of going to a regular university. But i want something deeper than that, i get the feeling i wont get what im looking for from just a regular university. Are there any reputable Islamic academies(with diverse courses such as courses in Adeeth,sharia etc) in the states that any of you are aware of. Thank you very much for your help.
Jazakallah Kairun.

kayleigh

:salam2:

If you go to a "regular" university (a secular one in the US) you'll have to major in religious studies with a focus on Islam. Some schools let you specialize in Islam, some group Islam with another religion. Then you can get a masters in Islam or Islamic history, which is specifically focused on JUST Islam, but again, many universities group it with all Eastern religions or just some - for example, I know there's a program in DC (I forget the school) that is Islam and Hinduism. Then there's Ph.D programs for Islamic history and the like.

Like I said, it depends on the school you go to and their religious studies program, but in every program you're going to have to spend a lot of time doing general religious courses/comparative religion and will have to study other religions as well. It's obviously going to be very secular and based on just the few RS courses I've taken, you're going to be challenging and (respectfully) criticizing and examining the theology and philosophy of the religion a lot. It's been said RS in the West turns a lot into atheists/agnostics if they started out religious.

So I would really recommend going to an Islamic university. There's the Zaytuna Institute in California. Many criticize it because they think it's Sufi. It's really not. One of my friends' friends goes there and they teach mainstream, correct, normal stuff - nothing Sufi-ish about it.

Besides that there's really nothing in the US. You could go abroad. Many Islamic universities cost little to nothing and will actually pay for your living expenses and give you a small allowance, but these can be difficult to get into. It might be more difficult, too, since you're a woman and some schools are men-only. I know that the Umm al-Qura university in Saudi Arabia accepts women, and I think al Azhar University in Egypt does too but I'm not positive. There's also a university in Malaysia that offers Islamic degrees and I think women might be able to go there too but I'm not sure on the name.

My fiance just got a scholarship to al Azhar and the one in Malaysia so I can ask him for more suggestions/info if you want?

If you don't already speak arabic, and are going to any of the universities abroad, they'll usually put you in a year or two year arabic program first before you can start taking classes towards your degree.

Amtullah

Servant of Allah
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

I really can't help you..

But I wish you the best, and pray Allah blesses you in all your endeavours. Ameen.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam

palestine

Servant of Allah
well in my state, Minnesota that is, in the city Minneapolis a islamic university just opened up. and i think it has all the islamic studies. anyways just google it inshallah and you'll find what it's about. asalamu alaykum wrwb.