Develop feelings - halal or haraam?

MuslimShadow

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah

One of my friends asked me this question to which i had no appropriate answer.

"Is it a sin to develop feelings/like someone(of opposite gender) for the sake of Allah?

I was going to reply to her but then i realized i have little knowledge on this topic.

Please reply if you know.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I'm not a scholar,but think that there is no sin if the feeling is made with no secondary interest.I usually never make thoughts about people of the opposite gender,,but wishing something for the sake of Allah it could be just a good deed I make.wa slam!

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Wa`alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

She needs to distinguish between loving someone for the sake of Allaah or pure infatuation. Does that type of love drives her closer or further away from Allaah. If it is the latter, then it is indeed a sin.

Those are the questions she needs to ask herself.

Of course, we humans can't run from having feelings for someone. It is in our nature to like/love/being attracted to someone even if that person may not know of our existence. However, we have to ensure that we channel those type of feelings the right way. The right direction.

Hope this helps: Is This Love I’m Feeling?

Wa`alaykum as-salaam.

MuslimShadow

Assalamo alaikum.

Jazakallah khairan. :mashallah: loved the article by yasmin mogahed.I will forward it to my friend.:)

tic_tac_toe

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah

One of my friends asked me this question to which i had no appropriate answer.

"Is it a sin to develop feelings/like someone(of opposite gender) for the sake of Allah?

I was going to reply to her but then i realized i have little knowledge on this topic.

Please reply if you know.

:bismillah1:
:salam2:

Feelings don't develop in isolation and occur due to social interaction which between members of opposite gender in Islam is Haram & impermissible.

Therefore if the respected parties have been interacting outside of the bounds of Islamic Shariah (i.e. chit-chat, SMS, email, facebook or even casting glances, looking) then they need to cease this practice and repent to Allah (SWT) as they have committed a sin. :Allah: is All-Merciful and Forgiving and :Allah: accepts sincere repentance.

Development of mutual feelings doesn't mean that the respective parties are suitable to begin a relationship rather, feelings cloud a person's judgement. I know many people who developed feelings for each other and thought that they are made for each other and then the relationship broke down.

Deen of :Allah: is perfect and its primary purpose is to protect ourselves from making mistakes and to ensure a happy blissful life in this world as well as the hereafter.

Therefore the parties involved should immediately resort to following the Sunnah and adopt the Prophetic decision making process which has two components, Firstly Shura (consulting) and Secondly Istikhara.

Consult with people of confidence, family members, friends and ask is he (or she) right for me or I am overcome with feelings?

Istikhara should be performed before making any decisions.

If there is no intention of marrying then these feelings should be put aside and all contact immediately ceased!

Lastly, you can't have feelings for a member of opposite gender outside the fold of marriage in Islam for the sake of :Allah:, that's a ploy from Shaytaan.

:jazaak:

:wasalam: