Did I invalidate my fast?

JD19

I started fasting this morning at 5:30 am... I couldnt sleep so I was on the internet. Around 6 am I decided to shut down and go to bed... WITHOUT THINKING, I headed over to the sink and drank a glass of water before going to bed... I realized this as I laid down and started repenting about it and asked for forgiveness and to accept my fast... Im still fasting. Is this ok?

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
:salam2:
Hope this helps.

Question:
What is the ruling on one who eats or drinks out of forgetfulness during Ramadan?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

That does not matter and his fast is valid, because Allaah says at the end of Soorat al-Baqarah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error”

[al-Baqarah 2:286]

It was narrated in a saheeh report from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that Allaah said, “I have done that.” And it was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets that he is fasting and eats or drinks, let him complete his fast, for the One Who fed him and gave him to drink was Allaah.” (Agreed upon).

The same applies if he has intercourse because of forgetfulness; his fast is still valid according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, because of this aayah and this hadeeth, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever breaks his fast in Ramadaan out of forgetfulness, he does not have to make that day up and he does not have to offer any expiation (kafaarah).” (Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Haakim). This wording includes intercourse and other things that break the fast, if the fasting person does them because of forgetfulness. This is from the mercy, bounty and kindness of Allaah, for which we praise and thank Him.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=22833&ln=eng

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum,
Insha'Allah your fast is not broken as what you did was unintentional
Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet peace be upon him said: "Whoever forgets he is fasting, and eats or drinks is to complete his fast, as it was Allah who fed him and gave him something to drink".
Ibn Abbas reported that the Prophet peace be upon him said: "Allah will not hold anyone of this nation responsible for what is done in error, forgetfulness or under coercion."

Eating out of forgetfulness in Ramadan does not matter

Question:
What is the ruling on one who eats or drinks out of forgetfulness during Ramadan?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

That does not matter and his fast is valid, because Allaah says at the end of Soorat al-Baqarah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error”

[al-Baqarah 2:286]

It was narrated in a saheeh report from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that Allaah said, “I have done that.” And it was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets that he is fasting and eats or drinks, let him complete his fast, for the One Who fed him and gave him to drink was Allaah.” (Agreed upon).

The same applies if he has intercourse because of forgetfulness; his fast is still valid according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, because of this aayah and this hadeeth, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever breaks his fast in Ramadaan out of forgetfulness, he does not have to make that day up and he does not have to offer any expiation (kafaarah).” (Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Haakim). This wording includes intercourse and other things that break the fast, if the fasting person does them because of forgetfulness. This is from the mercy, bounty and kindness of Allaah, for which we praise and thank Him.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, vol. 4, p. 193.

Wassalaam

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum,
Sorry for sort of repeating the post of Aquarius, apologies, whilst i was doing it there was no reply, i guess i have slowed with age :)
Wassalaam