Do the prayers have to be in Arabic or English? I'm getting conflicting answers...

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
I'm gettign conflicting answers on whether or not the prayers can be said in English or only Arabic.

To me, the Arabic is like babbling and when I do actually translate it in my head, it takes me forever to do so. However, I finished the 2 rakat sunnah for Maghrib in English, and for the first time (while praying) I felt a connection to Allah.

Some people support the any-language-for-prayer view because Allah only says to pray to Him and He never mentions what language. Plus, He's Allah so He understands all languages.

Some people support the Arabic-only-for-prayer view, but they have no supporting basis.

I would go with the any-language-for-prayer view, but what do you think? I need help with this, because I love saying prayers in English but would like to know whether or not i'm allowed to do so.

Please support your view with excerpts from the Qur'an or Hadith. Thanks!
:wasalam:

slave.of.AllahSW

AssalamoAlaikum wr wb,
I found this question posted at this site. http://www.pakistanlink.com/religion/2000/1013.html

Q 3. We have a Muslim convert among our ranks. Is it all right for him to say his prayers in English? How soon should he start learning Arabic to read the Qur’an and prayers in Arabic?

A 3. The Salat should be done in the same way as the Prophet -peace be upon him- did it. The Prophet said, “Pray as you have seen me praying.” (al-Bukhari 595 and many other Ahadith). This means that the timings, the rak’ahs, the positions, the language, the readings, the special adhkar etc. all of them must be according to the way of the Prophet. A new Muslim can begin with few words and should learn the whole prayer in Arabic as soon as possible. It is not very difficult. We recently had few people who accepted Islam at the Islamic Society of Orange County and within a week they learned their full prayers in Arabic. You should encourage the new Muslim to learn the prayer. It is the duty of the Muslim community to help new Muslims learn how to practice Islam.

InshaAllah I will try to find you more matierial on this topic.

Jazakallahu khairun

Naasih

prayer

as salaamu alaikum

From what I know the prayer does have to be in Arabic. What is binding is Fatiha and anything after that if you are able to. You see we are prescribed to read the Qur'aan which is the speach of Allaah and if you translate it then you only get the meaning of the Qur'aan and not the actual Qur'aan. There are narrations of companions at the begining of Islaam who could not memorise Qur'aan so the prophet ordered them to say Allaahu Akbar, subhaanallaah and alhamdu lillaah in the salaah until they were able to memorise Qur'aan.

In this regard we should not have a defeatest attitude as it is the Book of Allaah which He sent to mankind to guide them. When I became a muslim I too found it very very frustrating that I could not understand what was being read and it sounded so important and beautiful! You have to keep at it all the time and insha Allaah it will become easy after a while as Allaah has made the Qur'aan easy to memorise. Get yourself a teacher from the start so you will have fewer mistakes inshaa Allaah and may Allaah make it east for all of us to memorise the Qur'aan and act upon what we memorise! Aameen yaa Rabb!

Allaah knows best

slave.of.AllahSW

I would like to add this...

AssalamoAlaikum wr wb,
plus the harder it is to learn Qur'an and salaat, I mean the more effort you put into it.. InshaAllah the more reward you will get from Allah swt. just try try and try. InshaAllah, Allah swt will help you in more ways than you can think of. AAMEEEN!

jazakallhu khairun

mosabaig

Salah

Dear Brother, from what I understand from scholars in Islam, that
Salah behind an Imam is O.K even somone praying behind doesnot know or do much.
When praying our own we are encourage to learn in Arabic + Meanings in our own langauge that way we be reciting Quran which is words of Allah in its purest form and translations are translations and are different from person to person. I think quality of Salah is very important as its a way to communicate and be in the presence of Allah. And efforts done to learn salah will be highly rewarded. Here is a hadith to benefits us all.

"Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (Radhiyallaho anho) narrates that once the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) asked his companions, 'Do you believe that dirt can remain on a person bathing five times a day in a brook running in front of his door?' 'No', replied the companions, 'No dirt can remain on his body.' The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) remarked: So, exactly similar is the effect of salaat offered five times a day. With the Grace of Allah, it washes away all the sins'."

Tahar

You have already received some good answers, but I have this to add. I know of a story where our beloved prophet (pbuh) saw a man at the Kaaba (the structure in Mecca we face during prayer) annoyed with a shepherd-boy who was devoutly imploring the lord in a strange manner, hand risen and tears flowing down his cheeks, the prophet (pbuh) took the boy back to the kaaba demanding the man gives way because that boy's prayer is perfect and will be heard by Allah.

So, you pray as you wish in the beginning till you learn the correct way. Allah hears you for sure. Use the simplified version or the English language till you memorize the Arabic "al-fatiha" surat. It's not difficult, and you can certainly do it.

muslimguy

the way I see it brother is that we have to recite Quran in Arabic because it's the words of Allah(SWT), which we should not be changing, however you could make Dua' in English during the salat. and always remember you are rewarded for saying it and also for the effort that you do to get it right.
in surat Yusuf Allah says:"We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an, in order that ye may learn wisdom."

this is only my personal point of view. Allah knows best and I don't.

may Allah guide us all to the right path and help you find the answer the way he helped you find his way. Amin.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:wasalam: to all
Thank you for the answers and proofs! My problem isn't learning the Qur'an, but it is knowing the meaning (percise, not just the main message) of the Tashahhud, what you say before first reciting the Qur'an, etc.

However, thank you for your answers. They have motivated me to learn the meaning of every word in my prayer. JazakAllah Khair for that.

seekingtruth2

as salammu alaykm,
yes... I know it is difficult to learn and sometimes you feel out of touch with the words... I for the longest time said the prayers first in arabic then english.... and yes it takes a long time to do this way but Allah swt is worth the effort we make... soon brother very very soon (trust me I am a revert too!) the arabic will become a part of you and you will know exactly what you are saying..... arabic is a beautiful language and now I know why it was given in this language... just give it time brother nothing comes overnight!!!!!
may Allah give you peace and grant you paradise...
your sister in Islam.......

hambaAllah

waah its gone now

:bismillah:
:salam2: bro
Recently there was a website that Basicofislam posted where one cud learn to read the quran n understand it too..i dont seem to be able to access it now,,its was a very good site indeed,, it teaches about 10 juz amma n what to what to say in prayers and its meaning too n they throw in some arabic lesson too,,, guess it was a temporary site for ramadan/shawal only,,,maybe u try to access the website address www.understandquran.com/. I did download some of their pdf/wmv/pps files if ur keen ill send u if u cant access the website or maybe post it here,, if its okay with the admin
:wasalam: :hijabi:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum.

I just wanted to put in that i heard somewhere that if the Holy Quran wasn't in Arabic, that Arabic itself may have been a dead language by now. Subhanallah, this language unites all Muslims, whether they were born with it on their tounges or not. If we used our own words, we couldn't get the majesty, beauty, or even the feeling and tone of the Quran itself. Yes, we may have an idea of what we are saying, but the Quran is only in Arabic. We should pray as the Prophet Muhammad (saws) used to pray.

And also, it would be weird, if people could pray in their own languages imagine the differnciation, conflict, confusion and utter chaos it would cause!!! We Muslims should be united!

If i went to France, would i stand behind an Imam jibbering in French (although i would assume what he said true and good, i wouldn't know) i would lose my own concentration and respect.

Besides, the Quran as stressed, is only in Arabic, NO ammount of translation could own up to it!! Astagfirullah.

It's very good brother, that you are motivated to try and be able to understand what you are saying.

May Allah make it easy for you and all others who are striving in His Path. Ameen.

Wassalam.

brighten

seeker of knowledge

In salat we must recite our prayers in Arabic but we can supplicate/make duaa in any other language. Al-Quran is read in Arabic but you can read it’s translation and understand it's meaning in any other language.

Bottom line is don’t stand in prayer with an absent mind. Memorize the verses and understand it’s meaning. Pray with sincerity and devotion as if it is your last prayer on earth then you will have connection.

Arabic is the language in Jannah and it is upon us to learn and understand it.

Take care.

Wassalam.

(ps: Samiha, you fed your kitty well. I see they have grown into a full grown tiger but how did 1 became 2?) :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I have had the same experience with praying the Salat...not knowing Arabic. I have prayed over and over the Salat in English, and would read the Arabic words, which sounded anything like the true Arabic words, since this is not my native language.

However, since reading and saying the Salat in English over and over during my prayer, the English has become 'memorized' in meaning for me. So, now, having 'learned' the Arabic Fatiha, the English meaning comes naturally. I can say the Arabic of Fatiha and then translate in English what I said.

An Arabic friend heard me say the Fatiha in English, by memory, and was 'amazed' I was saying this in English! "How do you know that?"...My friend was impressed that I could say this in English......

To me, if I am praying, I need to know what I am praying....even if it is memorized, and to know it in English for meaning, then being able to recite it in Arabic, has been the way best for me. I am very slow in remembering how to say the Arabic, but the meanings of the words are starting to filter inside my being. For example, 'Alhamdulillah' is a wonderful way to express 'Praise God', and 'InshaAllah' is constantly a reminder for me that 'In God's Will' I will do this and that...'inshaAllah'.

I have felt like a mess trying to speak Arabic, so when I pray I ask for help in this, and to understand....It has been a slow process for me, and I am seeing results, step by step.

I think it is beautiful that all muslims can understand Arabic all over the world. This is a wonderful way of unity.

In the Catholic church, the same words are said all over the world for the Mass, but in different languages. So when I have traveled to various countries and gone to Mass, I know what is being said, in my English language, even when it might be in Latin or Spanish, etc. There is not 'one' language, since no one ever said 'God demands Latin, or Greek, or whatever'.

God is universal. I believe He knows all languages. I would not ever put a limit on just Arabic, since God is all knowing. He gave us the different tongues of language.

I can appreciate how Arabic should be the universal language. Praying from our hearts is what really counts. The language part and challenge of Arabic will gradually be a natural part of the prayer, in Salat, when one tries daily for this...as I have done.

Do not give up. I am a slow learner, and I have gradually climbed the steps to understanding Arabic in my daily practice of reciting the Fatiha, and other Arabic terms of 'thanks unto God'...

All of the posts have been enlightning to read on this subject. May Allah continue to show us what counts..and to strive for what pleases him.

Salam

sandy 2007

i want to know if the meaning in english are the same in arabic i dont not know how to speak it and i just want to make sure i find a good site to learn about allah and how to pray saying the rigth words plz help:hijabi: