Doritos are....Halal

Status
Not open for further replies.

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
"Moral: Eat Cheetos and Doritos or whatever you like. But please STOP spreading disinformation and excuses for eating them and telling others that they are Halal."

May Allah reward you brother, at least we had a clear information hamdulillah, jazaka'Allah khairan

Jihan

If it has a U, or U with a D that is circled, or K for Kosher then it means that the product does not contain any ingredients from animals. I have checked many cheese products, and sadly, they don't have the letters.

well.. of course not all cheese comes from milk which is an animal product... That's why veagans don't consume cheese, as well as yogurt, honey, and eggs. So remember just because something has animal product doesn't mean its haram; it could be eggs,milk,honey, or even fish. all of those are considered anima product.

But the circle U or UD is very useful and I didn't know about that. JazakAllah! so if anybody doesn't find those letters they can call to ask what the animal product the company uses is:) .

^^If I have said anything wrong pease feel free to correct.

:salam2: The dorito company at the moment is using enzyme from pigs. I had called them up. The lady from the information department was very sweet she sent me a list of all the products which are koshar and which are not.She also sent me coupons . I also asked her to to put a request so that they change the enzyme that they use. One brother said he will go by what the sheikh said. That is a wrong view cause a sheikh is a human being and can make mistakes. You have to call the company and speak to them that way you make things more sure.

Jihan

You know this is good news. Doritos being haram and all. Do you know how bad that stuff is for you?!! there is the partially hydrogenated oil(no good>>) and that mouth watering substance (MSG!) and lets not forget 600-800 calories(that's nearly half the days meal...)in the the second to smallest bag size. I am crazy over that stuff :astag: but now I have a good reason never to buy it again InshaAllah!

dianne

Salam,

Im lucky here is no was was to eat those stuff.especially doritos,nachos etc alhamdulillah.

wassalam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Salam,

Im lucky here is no was was to eat those stuff.especially doritos,nachos etc alhamdulillah.

wassalam

Wa alaikumussalaam,

Well there's nothing wrong with nachos. Nachos are good as long as they're Halaal and as long as you don't eat too much of it.

..And Oh, are you serious sister? there are no nachos in Malaysia? Interesting...:D

Salika

~mUsLiMaH~
well.. of course not all cheese comes from milk which is an animal product... That's why veagans don't consume cheese, as well as yogurt, honey, and eggs. So remember just because something has animal product doesn't mean its haram; it could be eggs,milk,honey, or even fish. all of those are considered anima product.

But the circle U or UD is very useful and I didn't know about that. JazakAllah! so if anybody doesn't find those letters they can call to ask what the animal product the company uses is:) .

^^If I have said anything wrong pease feel free to correct.

When I said animal products, I didnt really mean it in the sense of milk and honey. Sorry for that misconception. I meant to say that the foods with the letters means that it has no ingredients from animal, such as lard or rennant. Most ice creams for exapmle do have the letters in the package, and we all know that its made from milk.

amira87

I love Allah
sALAM alaikuM

salamz....I just wanted to say that a brother that I know actually called the doritos costumer sevice hotline....and he asked one of the costumer service guys if there was any pork products in the doritos..........and the guy told my brother back, that there actuallly was pork enzymes in the cheese of the doritos.......so maybe you guys should get actual answers from live people that work with the dorito company instead of going to get answers from some guy that probably just copied and pasted some "facts" from another source.

Jihan

When I said animal products, I didnt really mean it in the sense of milk and honey. Sorry for that misconception. I meant to say that the foods with the letters means that it has no ingredients from animal, such as lard or rennant. Most ice creams for exapmle do have the letters in the package, and we all know that its made from milk.

Sooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy....;) my bad...

mayyah313

dunno I contacted fritolays today, i received the following products have the following ingredients:

BAKED! LAYS? Barbecue Flavoured Potato Chips (chicken)
BAKEN-ETS? Traditional Fried Pork Skins
DORITOS? Cool Ranch Flavoured Tortilla Chips (pepsin or rennet from a pork source)
DORITOS? Jalapeno & Cheddar Cheese Flavoured Tortilla Chips (pepsin or rennet from a pork source)
DORITOS? Zesty Cheese Flavoured Tortilla Chips (pepsin or rennet from a pork source)
MUNCHIES? BBQ Flavoured Snack Mix (beef)
RUSTLERS? Pepperoni Beef Sausage Stick (beef)
SUNCHIPS? French Onion Flavoured Multigrain Snacks (beef)

All Frito Lay products are labeled accurately with the most current ingredient information. Frito Lay makes every effort to maintain this list; however, since the ingredients in our snacks are subject to change at any time, we recommend that you check the label on a specific product for the most current and accurate nutritional information. If you need assistance, please contact Frito Lay Canada Consumer Response Centre toll-free at 1-800-376-2257 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time.

If you are unsure if something is halal or haram it's better just to stay away from it. I used to eat doritos all the time but stopped a while ago, thank God I did. Allah(SWT) knows best

aisha16

salamz....I just wanted to say that a brother that I know actually called the doritos costumer sevice hotline....and he asked one of the costumer service guys if there was any pork products in the doritos..........and the guy told my brother back, that there actuallly was pork enzymes in the cheese of the doritos.......so maybe you guys should get actual answers from live people that work with the dorito company instead of going to get answers from some guy that probably just copied and pasted some "facts" from another source.
Saalam

Some guy?

He's a very knowledgable Sheikh. I dont think he would just copy and past something out of nowhere?

I dont understand why you the thread turned into a NO ITS HALAL AND HARAM DEBATE.

But this Sheikh is very knowledgable, and is learned. I trust him. No offence to any brother and sisters here who replied.

ma saalam

aisha16

AssalaamuAlaikum WRWB,

Sister and all,

There are something a contradictory to me in that link you have provided. The author says:

"Traditionally, only animal rennet was used in the manufacture of cheese. However, due to the high demand of cheese and the cost and difficulty associated with the production of animal rennet, more and more companies are turning to other sources for rennet."

According to my little info. I had searched some sources and found the opposite fact about a very big company which manufactures cheese. On the basis of that, I wrote the following small article:

About Cheese
Rennet is a yellow enzyme which is obtained from the stomach of infant calves and pigs.
According to some schools of thought such as Hanafi and Ahmad, the rennet obtained from non-Islamically slaughtered animal is ok, but for maliki and shaafa’ai schools of thought that rennet is Nijs (Filthy).
We did not inquire about the source of rennet in Korea. If any people think that in Korea, Rennet is obtained from calves then they should correct their opinion after reading the following response of Kraft cheese manufacturer:

"Thank you very much for asking if Kraft cheese products contain any animal derivatives. Our comments here apply only to products produced in the United States. Many cheese products produced in the United States do contain a coagulating enzyme derived from either beef or swine. The process of changing fluid milk into cheese consists of coagulating the milk by one of two commonly used methods, each resulting in cheese having distinct characteristics.

The most common method of coagulating milk is by the use of an enzyme preparation, rennet, which traditionally was made from the stomachs of veal calves. Since the consumption of calves for veal has not kept pace with the demand for rennet in the preparation of cheese, a distinct shortage of this enzyme has developed. Consequently, a few years ago it became a common practice to mix the rennet extract from calves' stomachs with a pepsin enzyme derived primarily from the stomachs of swine. These enzymes convert the fluid milk into a semi-solid mass as one of the steps in the manufacture of cheese. This mixture of calf rennet and pepsin extract is quite commonly and widely used within the United States.

A more recent development in this area has been the use of enzymes derived from the growth of pure cultures of certain molds. These are termed microbial rennets. They are commonly used for the production of certain types of cheese and contain no animal products. Kraft Domestic Swiss Cheese (any Kraft Swiss not labeled "Imported" from a foreign country) is made with microbial rennet. Apart from Kraft Domestic Swiss Cheese, it is almost impossible for us to assure you that any hard cheese product which you might purchase from Kraft or any other American source is absolutely free of animal-derived enzymes.”

Referece: http://www.natural-connection.com/resource/tnc_reference_library/cheese.html

Moral: Eat Cheetos and Doritos or whatever you like. But please STOP spreading your own justifications. These things about cheese and other products have disputes among Scholars themselves.

Wassalaam

Saalam

Umm ok. Im not spreading any lie for my own benefit or own desires. I stopped eating these chips anyway. So what's this all about. I dont really get it. Again he's a Sheikh. Well if you diagree then so be it, and whoever agrees then so be it. I think this thread has caused WAY TOO MUCH ARGUEMENT AND FTINAH, SO INSHA'Allah it should be closed.

Sorry for any offence to any brothers and sisters.

ma saalam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Saalam

Umm ok. Im not spreading any lie for my own benefit or own desires. I stopped eating these chips anyway. So what's this all about. I dont really get it. Again he's a Sheikh. Well if you diagree then so be it, and whoever agrees then so be it. I think this thread has caused WAY TOO MUCH ARGUEMENT AND FTINAH, SO INSHA'Allah it should be closed.

Sorry for any offence to any brothers and sisters.

ma saalam

AssalaamuAlaikum,

I removed my lines which might start a personal finger pointing. Following a disputed matter for which there is not much clear ruling in Quran/Hadith, it depends upon one's understanding and Faith. Nobody can doubt your faith if you use cheese by following the opinion of Sheikh Yasir Qadhi. It wont make you less Muslim, InshaAllah.

Also, just avoiding such disputed cheese does not guarantee that a person is more pious. Scale of faith is measured by collective deeds and not just on the basis of eating cheese.

"Im not spreading any lie for my own benefit or own desires."

Can I please ask where did I say somebody "LIED"?????

Wassalaam

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

Please Brothers and Sisters, do you realise how pathetic this sounds? You are arguing about DORITOS!!! If you are ever in doubt about anything, it's best to leave it.

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.