Evidence for Jinn in the bathroom??

MubarekMuslimah

Assalaamu alaikum

Many times have I heard it said that there are believed to be jinn in the bathroom. I have been told that this is why we should not repeat any ayat or such in the bathroom.I'm really confused on this whether it is true Islamic practice/belief or cultural - only because I have never seen any evidence to support the belief that jinn live in the bathroom!

Please can anyone provide evidence for this and clarify? I don't recite anythign while I am in there anyway - because while I am not sure it is better to be safe then sorry - but I would really like to see some evidence for this insha'allah!! I am not doubting it if of course the evidence is provided insha'allah - I'm just curious.

Jazak'allah khair

Wasalaams

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
:salam2:

I thought about the same question. When I have wudu, I have to start by Bismillahi Al-Rahman Al-Raheem.. I usually say it before I enter the bathroom for wudu avoiding mentioning Allah (SWT) name in a space made of filth or taking anything that has Allah's names (SWT)...

I was wondering about this for long time. Why we enter the bathroom or toilet with our left foot..??????????

Regarding your question brother, I cant find any concrete evidence.

If a bathroom contains a toilet along with a shower and a sink, is it still offensive to make mention of Allah Most High in it? If so, then does a curtain in between the toilet and the rest of the bathroom suffice as a separation that would make it permissible to make mention of Allah Most High at the sink when making ablution, for example?

It seems to this impoverished soul that mentioning Allah Most High remains offensive in a bathroom that contains a sink and shower in addition to a toilet. There are two reasons for this:

(1) It still holds true that the room as a whole was built in order to relieve oneself inside it [h: and it is offensive to mention Allah Most High in any room that is built for this purpose]. The fact that other things are added to the room doesn’t cause it to cease being a place where one relieves oneself.

(2) The wisdom behind the offensiveness of mentioning the name of Allah Most High in a place where one relieves oneself is to prevent the name of Allah Most High from being mentioned in a place that does not befit it, and the presence of a sink and shower in the room does not obviate this wisdom.

It doesn’t seem that separating the toilet from the other parts of the bathroom with a curtain would constitute sufficient separation for the sink and shower area to no longer be considered a “place of relieving oneself.” However, if the toilet area is separated by a door that is shut, then this would separate the two areas [h: and it would then no longer be offensive to mention the name of Allah Most High when making ablution in the sink].

السؤال: هل يعدُّ المكانُ الذي فيه محلٌّ لقضاء الحاجة والشاور والمغسلة ممن يكرهُ فيه التلفظُ بالذِّكْر؟ وهل يكفي الستارة؛ لأن يجعل محل قضاء الحاجة محلاً مستقلاً فيجوز الذكرُ عند المغسلة؟ وإذا بسملتُ خارجَ الحمام ثم دخلت الحمامَ مباشرةً فتوضأتُ هل تحصل سنةُ البسملة أولَ الوضوء؟

الجواب: الذي يظهرُ للفقير أن الذِّكْرَ مكروهٌ في المكان الذي يجمعُ محلَّ قضاء الحاجة ومغسلة تنظيف اليدين وشاور الحمام؛ لأن تهيئةَ المكان بقصد قضاء الحاجة فيه يجعله معداً لقضاء الحاجة، فإذا صار كذلك لم يخرجه عن اسمه انضمامُ غيره إليه، وأيضاً فإن الحكمةَ التي لأجلها كره الذكرُ في مكان قضاء الحاجة قائمةٌ وهي تنـزيه وتعظيم اسم الله تعالى عن أن يُذْكَرَ في هذا المحل. أما فصلُ مكان الخلاء عن المغسلة والشاور بالستارة؛ فالظاهرُ أنه لا يفيدُ لأنه لا يعدُّ حائلاً عرفاً، بخلاف ما لو فصل مكان الاغتسال بوضعُ باب عليه كما شاهدته في بعض البيوت فالظاهرُ أنه إذا أغلق يكون حائلاً، والله أعلم.

:wasalam:

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams brother jazak'allah kahir

So that explains why not to say Allah swt's names or ayats in the bathroom out of respect because a room with a toilet is generally not a very nice place and built for that purpose - that I understand alhamdulillah. But what about the jinn in the bathroom thing?? I have searched and not found anything - maybe I didnt look hard enough. Have you found any info on that?

Anyways thank you for clarifying that part much appreciated!

Wasalaams

jamilgame

Well from the Jinn book i had read as a kid, there where 3 main locations where the jinns live, 1. the graveyard, 2. empty remote places such as houses to deserts(outback for the australian brothers and sisters), 3. the bathroom.

I will get some evidence for you inshallah.

w'salam Jamil

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

my mother is not a muslim, but she believes that evil spirits occupy bathrooms, at least when those bathrooms are unclean. it's not hard to believe that jinn would be in bathrooms. if we believe that jinn are everywhere else what difference does it make? jinn like to tempt and mess around with us, there couldn't be a more perfect place for them to do that other than a bathroom. we have to guard our private parts, because people do a lot of sinful things in bathrooms.

jamilgame

good jinns believers, also stay in mosque, there 3 types of jinns, one that constantly travels, the other that travels at such speeds that if you think of location on earth it has already travelled there, and then the final one which takes shapes of Dogs and humans, and apperently enter statues.

w'salam Jamil

dianne

Assalaamu alaikum

Many times have I heard it said that there are believed to be jinn in the bathroom. I have been told that this is why we should not repeat any ayat or such in the bathroom.I'm really confused on this whether it is true Islamic practice/belief or cultural - only because I have never seen any evidence to support the belief that jinn live in the bathroom!

Please can anyone provide evidence for this and clarify? I don't recite anythign while I am in there anyway - because while I am not sure it is better to be safe then sorry - but I would really like to see some evidence for this insha'allah!! I am not doubting it if of course the evidence is provided insha'allah - I'm just curious.

Jazak'allah khair

Wasalaams

Salam,
Here is an articles for u to read.

The Basics of Fiqh - Going To the Bathroom

1. If a person is outdoors, then he should be away and obscured from others.

2. A person should say before uncovering himself “Bismillah, Allahumma inny auzou beka menal khubuthy wal khaba’ith.”

3. A person should not mention the name of Allah while he is using the bathroom.

4. A person should not face nor turn his back to the Qiblah direction if he is answering the call of nature outdoors.

5. A person should avoid shaded places, which are used by people, and those places where people walk and gather.

6. A person should not urinate in a bathing place or in still water.

7. A person must remove impurities from his private parts

8. A person should clean his hand by rubbing on soil, using water or water and soap, etc., after cleaning himself.

9. A person should not touch his private parts with his right hand even when cleaning himself.

Going To The Bathroom

If a person is outdoors, then he should be away and obscured from others: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Ibn Majah and Abu Da’ud that Jaber (R.A.A.) said: “We were traveling with the Prophet (S.A.W.) and the Prophet (S.A.W.) used to answer the call of nature by going away until he was not seen.”

1. If a person is outdoors, then he should be away and obscured from others: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Ibn Majah and Abu Da’ud that Jaber (R.A.A.) said: “We were traveling with the Prophet (S.A.W.) and the Prophet (S.A.W.) used to answer the call of nature by going away until he was not seen.”

2. A person should say before uncovering himself “Bismillah, Allahumma inny auzou beka menal khubuthy wal khaba’ith.” Meaning: "In the name of Allah. O Allah! I seek refuge with you from the male and female devils." Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam At-Tirmithi and Ibn Majah that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) said: “The partition (cover) between the Jinn and the private parts of human beings whenever anyone enters the bathroom is to say: Bismillah.” In another Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) used to say when he entered the bathroom “Allahumma inny auzou beka menal khubuthy wal khaba’ith.” Meaning: “O Allah! I seek refuge with you from the male and female devils.”

3. A person should not mention the name of Allah (S.W.T.) while he is using the bathroom: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by all Hadith reporters except Bukhari that Ibn Umar (R.A.A.) said “That a man passed by the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) while the Prophet (S.A.W.) was urinating and the man said Assalamu Alaykum and the Prophet (S.A.W.) did not respond.” In another narration, that man asked the Prophet (S.A.W.) “…why did you not answer me? He replied: “I hated mentioning the name of Allah (S.W.T.) while I was in that state.”

4. A person should not face nor turn his back to the Qiblah(8) direction if he is answering the call of nature outdoors: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Muslim and Ahmad that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) said: “When one of you relieves himself, he should neither face the direction of the Qiblah nor turn his back to it.” In another authentic Hadith reported by the group of the Hadith collectors that Ibn Umar (R.A.A.) related that he once went to Hafsah’s house, where he saw the Prophet (S.A.W.) relieving himself while facing Syria with his back to the direction of Ka’bah.” Based on these two Ahadith, it is forbidden to face or turn one’s back to the direction of Ka’bah outdoors if there is no visible physical partition or wall, and permitted otherwise.

5. A person should avoid shaded places which are used by people, and those places where people walk and gather: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Muslim and Abu Da’ud that the Prophet (S.A.W.) said: “Beware of those two acts which cause others to curse.” They asked, “What are those two acts?” He said: “Relieving yourself in the people’s walkways or in their shades.”

6. A person should not urinate in a bathing place or in still water: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam An-Nasa’i and Abu Da’ud that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) forbade urinating in a bathing place. In another authentic Hadith reported by Imam Muslim and An-Nasa’i that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) forbade urinating in still water.

7. A person should not urinate standing if that makes his private parts visible to other people or impurities touch his clothes or body: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) “went to the dumps (away from the people) and urinated while standing…” Imam Ash-Shawkani authenticated that Umar, Ali, Zaid, and other companions of the Prophet (S.A.W.) urinated while standing. However, most of the time the Prophet (S.A.W.) used to urinate while sitting, according to the authentic narration by A’eyshah and as reported by Imam At-Termethi, An-Nasa’i and others.

8. A person must remove impurities from his private parts by using any pure matter three times or by using water: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Muslim and others that Salman (R.A.A.) said: “… the Prophet (S.A.W.) forbade us to clean ourselves with less than three stones (or any other pure similar material)…” In another Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Muslim that Anass (R.A.A.) said: “… that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) used to clean himself using water…”

9. A person should not touch his private parts with his right hand even when cleaning himself: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) said: “Whenever anyone of you urinates, he should not touch his private parts nor clean himself with his right hand.”

10. A person should clean his hand by rubbing on soil, using water or water and soap, etc., after cleaning himself: Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Abu Da’ud, An-Nasa’i, Al-Baihaqi and Ibn Majah that when the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) relieved himself, he cleaned himself and then rubbed his hand against the soil.

11. A person should say after using the bathroom “Ghufranak.” Meaning: "O Allah! Bestow your forgiveness upon me.": Based on an authentic Hadith reported by Imam Abu Da’ud, At-Tirmithi and Ibn Majah that the Prophet (S.A.W.), when he came out of the bathroom, used to say “Ghufranak.”

wassalam

original text by website Imam's Corner

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

Jazakum Allah khair for the information.. Regarding Jinn, I heard from an egyptian shiekh treated a sister aged 18 years old from Jinn with Rugya Shar'iya.. The sister was undressed in the bathroom and singing. The Jinn possessed her. When the sheikh read verses from the Qur'an on her. She spoke with a man's voice, when the sheikh asked who & why you possessed her, he said '' she was undressed and singing in the bathroom, and I thought she was dancing and singing for me''... I'll cut the story short, the below evidence from the Sheikh explains that Jinn can possess humjans, and how we can protect ourselves in various situations including in the bathroom.

Question: Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. Could you please give me more clarification on jinn possession and how can it be removed or avoided? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Name of Counsellor
A Group of Islamic Researchers

Topic
Jinn & Magic

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

A Muslim has to believe in the jinn. They are mentioned in the Qur'an and Hadith. In many instances, they share with us many of our roles and actions. However, it is noticeable nowadays that many people, when they feel anything wrong with themselves, interpret that as a matter of possession by jinn. In fact, many of them will change their mind after they go to a doctor who checks up to find out that the person is diagnosed to have some physical or psychological problem.

Every Muslim is to believe firmly that no one, however great his powers may be, can benefit or harm him unless Allah wills it. Then a Muslim’s best cure, protection, and immunity against the harm of jinn is by practicing Islam, reading the Qur’an and making frequent dhikr and du`a’.

In this context, the following fatwa is issued by Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, regarding jinn possession:

“There are some facts and some illusions connected to the issue of jinn possession, and among most people nowadays the illusions outweigh the facts. There is agreement among Sunni Muslims the jinn can dwell in the bodies of humans, but that does not mean that everyone who has epilepsy is possessed by the jinn, because epilepsy may have physical causes. The pains that many people feel in their bodies cannot be ascribed for certain to the actions of the jinn, rather they may be illusions or something imaginary.

So a Muslim should not pay any attention to the whispers of the Satan that make he/she think that he/she has done this and that. This is one of the ways in which the Satan deceives the Muslim and makes him/her think that he can control him/her, and that he has powers that in fact he does not possess. This may lead to bad consequences as has happened to many people.

A Muslim has to keep on treating himself with ruqyah, for the Book of Allah is available to him/her. One should recite from it and treat him/herself with ruqyah. Whether one is possessed or not, he/she will undoubtedly benefit from this reading and ruqyah.

If a Muslim goes to someone who is known for using ruqyah as prescribed in Shari`ah and is also righteous and keeps away from deviance and myths, there is nothing wrong with that and it may be a means of being healed from this problem.

A Muslim has to seek the help of Allah and pray to Him and beseech Him to prevent the plots of the devils among mankind and the jinn from harming him/her. Man is always in need of his Lord, and Allah is Able to rid one of these thoughts, illusions and facts that are harming him/her.”

Shedding more light on the protection against and the immunity from the harm of jinn, we’d add the following:

"Because jinn can see us while we cannot see them, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) taught us many ways to protect ourselves from their harm. They are seeking refuge of Allah from the accursed shaytan, reciting surat Al-Falaq and surat An-Nas, and reciting the words taught by Allah in the Qur’an. Allah Almighty says, “And say: My Lord! I seek refuge in Thee from suggestions of the evil ones. And I seek refuge in Thee, my Lord, lest they be present with me.” (Al-Mu’minun: 97-98)
Saying Bismillah (in the Name of Allah) before entering one’s home, eating or drinking, and having intercourse will keep Satan from entering the house or partaking with a person in his food, drink and sexual activity. Similarly, mentioning the name of Allah before entering the toilet or taking off one’s clothes will prevent the jinn from seeing a person in a state of undress or harming him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of be upon him) says: “To put a barrier that will prevent the jinn from seeing the `awrah of the sons of Adam, let any one of you say ‘Bismillah’ when entering the toilet.” (Reported by at-Tirmidhi) (Strong Evidence ALhamdullah)

Strength of faith and religion in general will also prevent jinn from harming a person, so much so that if they were to fight, the one who has faith would win. Ibn Mas`ud (may Allah be pleased with him) says: “A man from among the Companions of Muhammad met a man from among the jinn. They wrestled, and the human knocked down the jinn. The human said to him, ‘You look small and skinny to me, and your forearms look like the front paws of a dog. Do all the jinn look like this, or only you?’ He said, ‘No, by Allah, among them I am strong, but let us wrestle again, and if you defeat me I will teach you something that will do you good.’ The human said, ‘Fine.’ He said, ‘Recite (the verse): “Allah! There is no God save Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtaketh Him. Unto Him belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedeth with Him save by His leave? He knoweth that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save what He will. His throne includeth the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.” (Al-Baqarah: 255) The human said, ‘Fine.’ He said, ‘You will never recite this in your house but the shaytan will come out of it like a donkey breaking wind, and he will never come back in until the next morning.’” (Reported by ad-Darimi)

Subhanallah.. That was Ayatul Al-Kursi, May Allah (SWT) keep the harm of *!*!*!*!an and jinn away from us. One more advice, put the palms of your both hands together, blow into it, and recite Surat Al_Ikhlas, Al-Nas, Al-Falaq and Ayatul Kursi inshallah, and rob it in your head first and body starting from the right side of your body (repeat 3 times, specially if there is pain on ones body).. Inshallah we can protect our children, before they leave the house and before going to bed... ( Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) used to protect himslelf (pbuh) that way)... inshallah someone can provide evidence..

www.islam-qa.com