Fiqh lesson: Spies

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Spies. The spy is the one who spies on the Muslims and transmits information to their enemies.

The evidence for that is the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (3007) and Muslim (2494) which says that Haatib ibn Abi Balta’ah wrote to some of the mushrikeen in Makkah telling them some information about the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O Haatib, what is this?” He said, “O Messenger of Allaah, do not hasten to judge me. I was a man closely connected to Quraysh, but I did not belong to this tribe, while the other Muhaajireen with you had their relatives in Makkah who would protect their families and property. So I wanted to make up for my lack of blood ties to them by doing them a favor so that they might protect my family. I did not do this because of disbelief or apostasy nor out of preferring kufr (disbelief) to Islam.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He has told you the truth.” ‘Umar said, “O Messenger of Allaah! Let me chop off the head of this hypocrite!” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He was present at the battle of Badr, and you do not know, perhaps Allaah looked at the people of Badr and said, ‘Do whatever you like, for I have forgiven you.’”

The point in this hadeeth is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) agreed with ‘Umar that Haatib deserved to be executed for this action, but the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told him that there was a reason why he should not be killed, which is that he was one of those who was present at the battle of Badr.

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad (2/115) concerning the hadeeth of Haatib ibn Abi Balta’ah:

This was quoted as evidence by those who do not think that the Muslim spy should be killed, such as al-Shaafa’i, Ahmad and Abu Haneefah (may Allaah have mercy on them). And it was quoted as evidence by those who think that the spy should be killed, such as Maalik and Ibn ‘Aqeel among the companions of Ahmad, and others. They said: This is because the reason for not killing him was that he had been present at Badr. If being Muslim was the reason for not killing him, he would not have given a reason that is more specific, which is the fact that he had been present at Badr.

And he said elsewhere in Zaad al-Ma’aad (3/422):

The correct view is that execution of a spy depends on the opinion of the ruler; if executing him is in the Muslims’ interests, he should be executed, but if letting him live serves a greater interest, then he should be allowed to live. And Allaah knows best.

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/20824/capital punishment

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

what's interesting is that non-muslims, when we explain this situation, they never see this as treason. that is why the scholars are of this opinion. it's about high treason. yet there are americans allegedly members of AL-QAEDA, and are being charged with treason; treason in america can consist of the death penalty. yet they are not considered as ruthless or cruel. but when muslims defend themselves from people that commit treason, they are inhumane.
:wasalam:

Salaam,

Jazkalllah for sharing brother. Muslim spying on Muslims is totally haram. This is dangerous because the person could be labled as a munafiq (hypocrite).

Here is similar post on this subject matter:

Spying

shammyshahoo

[Assalamualaikum....

this incidence is in context wth the'makka fathu'. Sura 'mumthahena' ws revelated to prophet in connection wth this incidence.It ws a very danderous act frm the part of a 'swahabee'. but Allah informed this news to prophet at right time. otherwise...the picture would hv been different. The swahahabee ws one of the participants of 'badr'.Allah hd already promised them glad tidings of 'janna' to them. ALLAH advices all the believers...not to take Allah's enemies as well as believers' enemies as 'friends' any more....thru this chapter in quran.even if they r our family members.... one should not help them against Allah and prophet's teachings..Allah is qouting propht Ibrahim as a role model to the believers. We wl learn this sura today itself...insha Allah. thnk u br fr postin this thread so that we wl get the encouragement to read this chapter which is in connection wth this incidence