For Reverts/Converts

q8penpals

Salam

How many of you legally changed your names when you re/converted? I know of several people that go by a different name now, but did not legally change their name.

I didn't and am not going to change mine

Lana

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I sorta cheated on this one. My name can be considered Islamic, Jewish, and Christian all at the same time. So I kept it "Sarah." The scholars state the only reason someone MUST change their name is if it a polytheistic name or it means a bad word in their language.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

kayleigh

:salam2:

I don't even have an unofficial Muslim name. I suck :( So I introduce myself as my real name (Kayleigh, obviously) and sometimes I get super weird looks from Muslims lol. But I just never picked one, and I would feel weird giving it out for some reason. I feel weird whether it's my real name or chosen Muslim name, go figure.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Sister Kayleigh, why don't you keep a kunyah (nickname that usually begins "father of" or "mother of"). For example, Umm `Aasiyah.

aisha31601

name change

Salam! I have not legally changed my name even though my husband gave me a "muslim" name. I really don't see the need to change it legally. I do however prefer to be called Aisha instead of Angela.

Most of my friends and family members as well as some of my co-workers are now calling me Aisha.

I Love having a muslim name!!

:tti_sister:

Ameera

Seeking allah
muslim names

Salam! I have not legally changed my name even though my husband gave me a "muslim" name. I really don't see the need to change it legally. I do however prefer to be called Aisha instead of Angela.

Most of my friends and family members as well as some of my co-workers are now calling me Aisha.

I Love having a muslim name!!

Wassalaam All

I did change my name when I converted because after all my name was christian and my muslim name is legally changed on my birth certificate also I am very proud of my choice to convert and proud to have a muslim name to go with it .....my name is Ameera .... lol I love it too :SMILY288:

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I have kept my own name.

My mum chose this name for me, and it means Rose. She was going to call me Nicole (which would have to have been changed)

I checked my name out to make sure it has no religious or bad meaning.

I am happy to be Rosheen :)

Sakeena

I chose the name Sakeena, but my mom doesn't want to call me by it, she still uses the nae she gave me when I was born, but I want to change my name permantently to Sakeena insha'Allah. :hearts:

I love the name Sakeena :SMILY149:

al-muslimah

:salam2:

I don't even have an unofficial Muslim name. I suck :( So I introduce myself as my real name (Kayleigh, obviously) and sometimes I get super weird looks from Muslims lol. But I just never picked one, and I would feel weird giving it out for some reason. I feel weird whether it's my real name or chosen Muslim name, go figure.

it sounds nice sister, but what does it mean? since its pronounciation is kind of the same as "Khadija" radya allahu anha, why dont you Choose it for your muslim name. khadija is a lovely well known name and it was the prophets beloved wife.