Ginger beer

muslima 2

I used the FERMENT: FERMENT TYPICALLY REFERS TO THE CONVERSION OF SUGAR TO ALCOHOL USING YEAST UNDER ANAEROBIC CONDITIONS. a MORE GENERAL DIFINITION OF FERMENTION IS THE CHEMICAL CONVERSATION OF CARBOHYDRATES INTO A L C O H O L!!!!!!!! So depending how ginger beer is made it seems as if it can be haram!!!!!

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
I used the FERMENT: FERMENT TYPICALLY REFERS TO THE CONVERSION OF SUGAR TO ALCOHOL USING YEAST UNDER ANAEROBIC CONDITIONS. a MORE GENERAL DIFINITION OF FERMENTION IS THE CHEMICAL CONVERSATION OF CARBOHYDRATES INTO A L C O H O L!!!!!!!! So depending how ginger beer is made it seems as if it can be haram!!!!!

:salam2:

Yes, depending on how it's made, it can be haram. But most of the time, this isn't the case. Have a look at the links provided below and on the previous page.

wasalam

dna1987

Muslim Guy

Sister, a molecule that has the "-OH" group is classified as an alcohol. Not all alcohols are classified as haram. In fact, I think it's only ethanOL that is haram to consume. You could drink gingerbeer all day and you wouldn't get drunk ...

In New Zealand, there is a drink called "Lemon and Poerera (L & P)" and it tastes just like ginger beer - it is the same drink, with a different name. I doubt anyone would have a problem if the name was different and didn't contain "beer" in it.
:wasalam:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
my question is this: does the appearance of the bottle appear like it was a bottle of beer or was it in regular plastic like a bottle of soda? i ask this because if it appears to look like a bottle of beer, i think it would be best to avoid it. not because the drink is haram, but because it may give people the impression that it is beer; which is haram to us. in the initial post, the brother was confused about this drink, what if the brother didn't ask us here at tti? he would've just thought the man was doing a haram thing, he may have even disassociated himself from a brother because of his haram drink. in other words, using the name or appearance of haram things shouldn't be applied to halal things. it causes confusion, and confusion in the ummah can destroy the ummah.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

It comes in a Can, which says "Ginger Beer" on it. In my humble opinion we should STOP doubting or declaring things Haram just because:

1) A HARAM Name is mentioned i.e.Beer
2) Chemical reaction of constituents makes the substance HARAM i.e.Yeast/Sugar/Oxygen

NO disrespect intended to anyone at all.

We SHOULD have Husnud-Dhann towards Muslims & NOT automatically assume things. On Monday mornings we wake up to find empty beer cans on our driveway so IF one of sees me throwing it away in a bin WOULD you automatically assume that I was drinking over the weekends? I am sure all of you would know that it is absurd!

my question is this: does the appearance of the bottle appear like it was a bottle of beer or was it in regular plastic like a bottle of soda? i ask this because if it appears to look like a bottle of beer, i think it would be best to avoid it. not because the drink is haram, but because it may give people the impression that it is beer; which is haram to us. in the initial post, the brother was confused about this drink, what if the brother didn't ask us here at tti? he would've just thought the man was doing a haram thing, he may have even disassociated himself from a brother because of his haram drink. in other words, using the name or appearance of haram things shouldn't be applied to halal things. it causes confusion, and confusion in the ummah can destroy the ummah.

muslima 2

Salam Alaikom,

Thanks for pointing out about the ethanol! I would like you to to read the following and see what I said about some ginger beer that in production is fermented!

Alcoholic beverages vary considerably in their ethanol content and in the foodstuffs from which they are produced. Most alcoholic beverages can be broadly classified as fermented(my point in thinking that some ginger beer is haram) beverages, beverages made by the action of yeast on sugary foodstuffs, or as distilled beverages, beverages whose preparation involves concentrating the ethanol in fermented beverages by distillation.

The amount of ethanol in the body is typically quantified by the blood alcohol content(BAC) the milligrams of ethanol per 1000 millilitres of blood . Small doses of ethanol generally produce euphoria and relaxation; people experiencing these symptons tend to become talkative and less inhibited and may exhibit poor judgement.

I will not ever drink any ginger beer, InshaAllah! We are all responsble for ourselves on the day of Judgement.

Globalpeace

Banned
Commercial Ginger Beer Sold by Coca-Cola to all (including 8 year old Kids)!

Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

I didn't call you stupid! Why would I? :astag:

Sorry If you took it that way; I apologise.

I am assuming that you have neither ever drank beer nor have any experience in buying the product (prices etc.)...(Alhum-do-lillah)

Now lets get back to the subject at hand. It appears to me (humbly and with due respect) that you have overlooked the commercial preparation of Ginger Beer & assumed that it is made out of a fermented process.

Dear Sister, Commercial Ginger Beer (Soft drink that WE are referring to in this thread) is NOT fermented at all rather it is pressurised with CO2; hence contains NO Alcohol; therefore can be sold LEGALLY (even to kids)!

That's why you can buy 3 for a pound etc...Fermentation is the 2nd process in making beer (you have skipped 1, 3,4 &5) so trust me it's not cheap!

I was trying to be humourus & I apologise again for crossing the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_beer

P.S: I was trying to hint at everybody to be careful in dealing with Halal/Haram.

P.P.S: Off course you are under no obligation to drink it.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
I think there is a hadith like: "Anything which intoxicates in a large quantity, is prohibited even in a small quantity."

Going back to my last point; you can drink L&P (or gingerbeer as they call it in the UK) all day long and not get drunk. The thing is, I've not met a single Muslim person ever who is opposed to L&P.
http://productsfromnz.com/browse_1595

I think it's just the name of gingerbeer, which puts people of. If somebody doesn't like to drink it, then that's all good, but I don't think one can judge another Muslim as committing a "shocking crime"; especially if they were holding an L&P bottle in their hands. :wasalam:

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
Salaam all,

If there's no alcohol content - and never will be any alcohol content - then it's not a haraam drink. I don't personally like the taste (ginger, yuk!), but there's nothing wrong with it at all.

As for the word beer, then it's just a word...Did Allah forbid us from using certain words?! Using the mere word 'beer' does not make one impolite, rude, or unislamic. It is not a swearword. It just refers to the style of the drink, which just so happens to be more commonly associated with the alcoholic kind. In some contexts, the word "sex" can be haraam, but if we are referring to legitimate sex within a male-female married couple, does that make sex itself haraam? No.

There is no need for confusion amongst Muslims who follow Quran and Sunnah...We already have access to knowledge about what is right and what is wrong, and seeing someone drinking a beverage labelled with the word 'beer' should not confuse us, as we know that ginger beer does not have any alcohol! Sometimes we read too much into things, when we should just stick to the God-given facts and words!

As for imitating the kuffar, I'm not sure about that...once again, the drink does not contain alcohol, or any other forbidden substances. It is drinking alcohol itself that would make us imitators of the kuffar in this instance, which we are not.

Think of all the kuffar (and even polytheists, in India and the likes) that drink tea!! This does not make tea haraam :)

A guy I know used to drink non-alcoholic beer (not ginger beer...real beer, minus the ethanol), because he really liked the taste...at the same time, he was a practising Muslim - a very good one too.

Anyway, I hope you are all well...I have been away from this forum for a while :-D

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
it's the appearance that is the problem. it's the making of a halal thing look haram. if no one asked people will assume that person was drinking. i understand about beer cans in your yard, but that's different because people do throw garbage in our yards, but in this brother's case the person was drinking the ginger beer, which gave him the reason to question it. do you remember candy cigarettes? they were candy that looked like cigarettes and blew out fake smoke, if you believe that smoking is haram, you would probably refrain from eating candy cigarettes. appearance can make a difference

Asslamo Allaikum,

It comes in a Can, which says "Ginger Beer" on it. In my humble opinion we should STOP doubting or declaring things Haram just because:

1) A HARAM Name is mentioned i.e.Beer
2) Chemical reaction of constituents makes the substance HARAM i.e.Yeast/Sugar/Oxygen

NO disrespect intended to anyone at all.

We SHOULD have Husnud-Dhann towards Muslims & NOT automatically assume things. On Monday mornings we wake up to find empty beer cans on our driveway so IF one of sees me throwing it away in a bin WOULD you automatically assume that I was drinking over the weekends? I am sure all of you would know that it is absurd!