Hajj and Mortgage Interest

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

Brothers and Sisters in Islam,

:salam2:

Here in North America it is happening a lot.

Lots of Muslims brothers and sisters are going to Hajj when they are paying mortgage interest on their houses.

Also, there are some Muslims brothers and sisters, who have finished paying their mortgage and are living in the house bought by paying interest are going to Hajj.

Are their Hajj valid?

I would like to know ruling in this matter according to the Quran and the Sunnah, not personal opinion/logic please.

Jajak Allah Khairan.

lovefordeen

wa'alikum assalaamu wa rahmathulahi wa barakathuhu

jazakahhlah khairan for this question...subhan'allah...glad to know that there are many people who think deeply and not just follow the crowd...

i think ther'ell be many knowledgeable brothers and sisters in this forum who'll be able to share knowledge on this subject insha'allah...as i dont have enough knowledge enough on this subject..

and Allah knows best

assalaamu alaikum

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

Assalamu alikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu sister,

Thank you for the kind answer.

However nobody else touched the question.

Hope someone will help.

JajakAllah khairan.

Walaikum assalm wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
It's been a long time since reading a fatwa on the issue. What I do remember was that the sheikh mentioned that if we Muslims have debts, we are obligated to pay them. He also mentioned how some scholars are of the view that there may be unavoidable situations in which a Muslim may be forced to pay interest on things like mortgages or on car payments etc and that it was a situation of Allah knows best. He did mention that hajj needed to be paid for through halal means. You question their payments on their mortgage, but you have to keep in mind that their income could be halal. Also, we do not know if these people really understood how serious of an issue that ribaa is in Islam. They may now understand that ribaa is haram and they could have very well repented over it, however ones's debt doesn't disappear when one accepts Islam, becomes more serious with their Islam or repented and these people are still obligated to pay it. We wouldn't want them to hold off forever to perform their hajj, especially if they earn a halal income.

Precious Star

Allah has instructed us in the Quran to perform Hajj. There are blessings on us if we do.

Allah has instructed us in the Quran not to pay interest. Presumably, there will be punishment for us if we do.

Allah has advised us over and over in the Quran that He is merciful. Presumably, He will forgive us if we are not always perfect.

Faith and mercy is not black and white. Your question assumes that in order for us to get the blessings of good deeds, we have to be sin-free. If that were the case, we would be angels, not humans, and Allah SWT would not have felt the need to reiterate OVER AND OVER in the Holy Quran that He is merciful.

Maybe, by performing Hajj, Allah SWT forgives those who engage in riba-based transactions. Only Allah knows. But I think it is a fallacy to presume that sins automatically cancel out good deeds. To the contrary....good deeds should cancel out sins.

strive-may-i

.... But I think it is a fallacy to presume that sins automatically cancel out good deeds. To the contrary....good deeds should cancel out sins.
Is it not an incorrect, way of seeing it? Its a matter of which outweighs the other, on judgement day, from what I understand.