health insurance

complex_man

i have made contract with insurance company . i will pay some fixed amount of money every month. is it ok with islamic view . i will give in charity the amount that result in interest. is it ok???

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother, what about life insurance. That always tickles me.

:wasalam:

Is it permissible to take out life insurance so as to ensure that my family are provided for after I die? Please supply the evidence (daleel) for your response.

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about life insurance, and he said:

Insurance of one’s life or possessions is haraam and is not permitted, because it involves gharar (buying/selling something where it is not known whether what is being bought/sold will actually be achieved/delivered, or in what specific quantity, thus putting one’s money at undue risk to being lost) and riba (usury, interest). Allaah has forbidden all transactions that are based on riba, and all transactions which involve deceit, as a mercy to this ummah, and to protect them from that which may harm them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“whereas Allaah has permitted trading and forbidden Ribaa”[al-Baqarah 2:275]

And it was narrated in a saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade deceit. And Allaah is the source of strength.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/5

Link : http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10805/

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Next question:

Often life insurance is offered as part of the benefit package for employment. As Muslims are we to turn down life insurance eventhough it is included in the salary. Sometimes an employer will state it is of no cost to the employee.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

Next question:

Often life insurance is offered as part of the benefit package for employment. As Muslims are we to turn down life insurance eventhough it is included in the salary. Sometimes an employer will state it is of no cost to the employee.

:wasalam:

I will pose the above question to a person of knowledge and will inform you of his response InshaAllah

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Assalaam walaikum,

Next question:

In my last job had similar system but I hadn´t any possibility to say no to it as it is mentioned in our laws that employer has to take kind of insurance.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

That makes sense. I am not an accountant and really do not understand underwriting and all that stuff so please forgive me if I sound like an elementary school child. There is really no interest in keeping a life insurance policy. It is a case of longevity with a company.